miajoyy

Child of God
Big sister
Pianist
Artist
Candor
Athenian
Ravenclaw
Cheerleader
Basketball.. er?

'Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.' 1 Timothy 4:12

'Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.' -Albus Dumbledore

I think I'm going to write mostly poetry on here. It's not my strong suit, but I enjoy it so :)

A few of my favorites

Cat fur in sunshine and
Walking in thunder
Beaches and birthdays
Best friends like no others
Flipping and twisting around in the air
Jean shorts and tank-top with not a care

Green grass and bare feet and
Rainbows in blue sky
Crackling fires
Hands flying across keys
Crisp breeze and dewdrops that come in the spring
These are a few of my favorite things

Can You Imagine?

Can you imagine
if humans were nocturnal
or birds trumpeted like elephants
Can you imagine
if people walked on their hands
and it was a talent to take a stroll using your legs
Can you imagine
if we had long, flowing hair on our feet
and smelly, grimy toes on our head?

What if
thoughts and feelings weren't private
a house and food weren't readily provided for you
What if
friendship was against the rules
and love didn't exist
What if
injuries didn't heal
and fun was forbidden

Can you imagine
if an Almighty God didn't prevail
and humans were left to fend for themselves
to suffer forever?

All the Answers

All she does is try to help
But what happens when it gets to be too much?
So many questions all at once
Everyone wants her to listen,
And they won't leave till they get what they want

Except
When she stops trying to explain
When she prevents them from that innocent glance
Down at her paper
Without any quick peeks at the neatly organized solutions,
She is useless to them

Who would want to be her friend?
When she won't just help them out
There goes their undeserved A's
The grudging friendship they've given her
For her unknowing aid

Frowning, they all back away
Whisper about this inconvenience
They forget she is sitting right in front of them
And continue to discuss all of her 'wrongdoings"
They thought she was their friend
For giving them all the answers

Flash Fiction Competition 2019

Fire Born

"Alexis, are you sure there isn't a light switch or something down here?" Jaxon complains for the hundredth time. I proceed to brush cobwebs from my face before answering.
   "This cave is like 200 years old. There isn't going to be any decent lighting in the place!" But the dark is getting to me too. When another creepy shadow passes over the walls, I grab Jaxon's hand. Now I'm grateful for the darkness, because Jaxon can't see me blushing.
    I let go of his clammy hand and do what I usually do in these circumstances. I conjure a flame on the tip of my finger. Suddenly, Jaxon jumps away from me.
   "What? Did you see something?" I ask, panicked. Jaxon just stares at my flaming fingertip, dumbfounded.
   "H-how are you doing that?" He stammers. I glance at my finger.
   "Can't you do it too?" I've always been able to form flames at...

weather

sunny day, the sky is bright
a balmy breeze
like Goldilocks not too cold, not too hot
just right
around me, birds are chirping
and fresh dew is shining
leaves are newly green
I lay there, staring up at the sky
swinging, swinging
hammock below me,
fluffy white clouds above me

somber day, a darkened sky
rain falls warm and steady
rays of sunshine struggle to peek
through the bloated clouds
I am content to listen;
the placid fizzle of water hitting hot pavement
the constant pitapat of rain striking greenery
I dance and dance
bare feet slapping the ground
wet strands of hair whipping through the breeze
I dance until I can dance no more.

'Mokie

This is the story of one great cat
He was found nearly skin and bone with his fur in a mat

He was called Smokey and he was one of a kind
With wispy grey fur and brilliant green eyes
He would return, day after day
And after a while, they decided he could stay
Call his name and he'd be there
He'd lay next to you, drooling with not a care
Though his affection was already off the chart
He still managed to find ways to leave gifts from the heart
Wake in the morning and step out of the house
Only to find he had left you a nice mouse

This was the story of one great cat
He lived a good life, and that is that.

Stunt Double

“Do you have any book recommendations?” I ask a grumpy looking librarian. Smiling, she reaches under her desk and pulls out a heavy book. Dropping it loudly onto the table, she replies “I think this one is just right for you. In fact, you might even relate to the storyline a bit.” She smiles again, but this time her face is contorted into something more foreboding. I thank the librarian and speed out the door, wondering how this stranger would know what I relate to. As I walk home, I look closer at the book. It has a silhouetted girl on the front, and the title is Stunt Double. Slightly put off by the dull cover and title, I continue my walk home, forgetting about the book and librarian.
    I arrive at my house, a scrawny townhouse with a well-kept yard, and grab a snack from my kitchen cabinet. Finding that I have nothing better to do, I decided...

Random Thoughts and Deep Questions (or the other way around)

Why do you say "good-bye" but not "good-hi"?

What would have happened if Jesus just decided "Nah, humans aren't worth it. I think I wanna live"?

Say a random word over and over in your head. I bet you'll start thinking about how weird English is

What stupid American decided "Yeah, this sport you play almost completely with your feet, let's call it soccer. Oh, and this sport you barely ever use your feet for, let's totally call that one football!"

Why does America have to be so strange and complex in the first place?

Do cats and dogs think of humans as their pets?

When you say 'apart' your lips go together. When you say 'together', your lips are apart!

Home and house are synonyms, right? So you can say 'I'm running home' but saying 'I'm running house' doesn't make any sense.

What if the inside of a tornado is actually the entrance to another universe?

Dogs can understand several humans...

Banned From Existence - Chapter 3

Rafe
    I collapse onto the cold, hard ground in front of this new girl. Breaking through whatever barrier that was has physically taken something out of me, as if I just sprinted a mile. It hits me then; I’m not alone here. There is another living human being in front of me! We might be able to figure this out. I ponder this new development of my situation and grin the biggest grin ever known to Earth. Finally, I remember she’s sitting right there, and probably weirded out that I’m smiling at nothing, spaced off right in front of her when I just dramatically ran in on her crying.
    Crying…
    I look up, meaning to ask what’s wrong, but she’s not there. Crapcrapcrapcrapcrap. I panic and jump up from the floor, my adrenaline is back again. I can’t be alone here! I take a moment, deciding panicking will not work as well as collecting myself and thinking about this....

Hold On

My shoulders, my fingers, my wrists are aching; I can't hold on anymore.

He Cares

"But really, how do you know God is real?"   
    I (and many other Christians) get asked this question a lot, or a question along those lines.
    Think about it. What about the Bible? How could someone have accurately proposed those predictions without a man as righteous and omniscient as God telling them what to predict? Jesus dying on the cross and rising in three days, Kind David's children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren being Jesus' descedants, Abraham being the father of many nations! 
​    And for evidence that these stories aren't just misinterpreted lies or that someone wrote these predictions down years after they came true and claimed they were told to them by God, I have a true story for you.
    One day, some shepherds entered a cave near the Dead Sea and happened upon some clay jars. Like two-thousand-year-old jars. Inside, they included ancient versions of the Old Testament, scrolls that stated the...

He Cares

Think about it. What about the Bible? How could someone have accurately proposed those predictions without a man as righteous and omniscient as God telling them what to predict? Jesus dying on the cross and rising in three days, Kind David's children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren being the descendants of Jesus, Abraham being the father of many nations! 
    One day, some shepherds entered a cave near the Dead Sea and happened upon some clay jars. Like two-thousand-year-old jars. Inside, they included ancient versions of the Old Testament, scrolls that...

Banned From Existence - Chapter 2

BOY:
    I finally calm down enough to take in my surroundings a second time. There really isn't much, just what I had seen before. The peculiar thing was when I tried to walk to the end of the room, it just kept going, like it was endless. Maybe it is...
    An hour later, I realize that spending the rest of my life banned from existence will make things extremely dull.
    Wait... am I even living? I think to myself. What exactly am I when I'm not existing? Dead? Alive? Imaginary? I was starting to think too carefully about that particular question when a girl's voice rang out from what seemed like a fairly far ways away. She was sobbing in distress, and rather than feel sorry for her, I was overjoyed. So there is someone else here! 
    Excited, I run in the direction of her voice, but the crying seemed to switch directions and come from another part...

Banned From Existence

BOY:
    I wake up to a blinding white room, under a white sheet. The only other things in this endless room are a white table, a pen, and a sticky note. When I get up, I find I'm in white cotton pants and a t-shirt, that's all. The sticky note, scrawled in orderly capitals, reads; YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED FROM EXISTENCE.
    Strange.
    The last thing I remember is hanging with the guys, playing some basketball. We were having a blast and I had just got off the phone from ordering some pizza. And there was an earthquake...? But when I think harder about the memory, I realize that there is something missing. The memory goes like this;
    I hear the pong... pong... pong of a basketball being bounced off of the echoing gym floor in quick rhythm. I hear the scuffling of feet as my friends fight for the ball. I abruptly hear the...

That's a Funny Bird in My Tree

She swings from treetops like a monkey, whether in rain, snow, or sunshine. Her bright teal jacket shines vividly through the branches. Almost birdlike, she hops from branch to branch with experienced grace, unleashing drops of dew and ice, which splatter into the large puddle beneath her. She grasps the worn, dangling rope and cries with joy. Lurching forward with a practiced motion, she swings through the air and splashes down into the pool of melted snow, dampening her already soaked tennis shoes, along with the rumpled ankles of her jeans.
    But does she care? Nope. Back up the tree she goes, scrambling up its bows with agility. The process starts over again.
    And her sister, watching curiously from the window seat, thinks how glad she is to be inside; warm and dry. She thinks of her peculiar little sister out there in the cold clutches of the tree. Then she thinks of a...

The Colors of the Sky

In the morning, I wake to find a beautiful sunrise. Oranges and golds and rosy pinks fade together into the perfect painting in the sky. Rays of sunshine sprinkle from above onto dewy green grass.
    As the day carries on, the endless sky turns a glassy turquoise, silvery clouds wavering in its infinite glory. Colorful birds drift tranquilly through ivory sunbeams, chirping their monotonic melodies.
    When this day is coming to an end, I look up to the heavens and find twinkling, pearly stars hovering in fading glory. Dark hues of navy and violet and maroon create a placid sunset. I doze in a dream of my favorite work of art, its Godly artist brushing different colors over its ever-changing canvas.

Phenomenal Woman

The Barefoot Lily Lady

The most phenomenal woman in my life I can think of, right off the bat, is unquestionably my grandma. Not only is she gorgeous, (I love bragging about her wavy and long grayish-brownish hair, it's unlike any other grandma's) and the best grandma anyone could ever ask for, she is also so Godly. And with all that she has to take care of, my great-grandma heavily affected by Alzheimer's who lives with her, it's amazing that she is such a devout woman. It's also amazing that she manages not to turn into a bitter old woman, with what little time she must get to herself, let alone any sleep! 
    Another amazing thing about my grandma is her vast, exquisite garden. I love when I visit in the summertime and I find her barefoot in a patch of lilies, pulling weeds or planting even more lavish flowers. The outside of my grandma's home is like the Garden of Eden resurrected! 
   ...

Human

We hate, we cry, we hide.
We're depressed, dirty, sinful.
We hunger for more, perfection, possession.

But there are the good things too...
We laugh, love, live.
We enjoy the little moments in life.
Humans seem hopeless at times, so you remember the times we have worked together.
A cure for cancer, homeless shelters, adoptions.

We are capable, dependable, intelligent, limitless, cherished.
Yet people are flawed.
We do what we want, not what should happen.
We are only human.

She's an Obstinate Cat

There is a cat
An obstinate cat一
A boisterous cat
She is unafraid
But when the people come
When they invade her home
Down to the basement she goes

Black and white
Stream down the stairs
We call
"Come back, come back!"
"Don't be afraid"
But what did I say?
She's an obstinate cat