books and beaches

"Words in my humble opinion, are the most inexhaustible source of magic we have."
~Albus Dumbledore

“Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on.”
― Louis L'Amour

I am 7th grade girl who loves to write! I have a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy who’s really sweet, family and friends that I love. I’m a feminist and support LGBTQ+ rights. I am OBSESSED with The Office. I love Write the World and am so happy to be a part of the young writers community! Keep on writing!

Writing Competition!

So, I’ve been a little absent but the contest is over! I’ve read all of the entries and love them all! This was such a tough decision! First of all, thank you all so much for the support and live this contest have been given! It is NaNoWriMo, so this is the perfect time to release the winners!

In first place we have...
Kahasai, with “Of Wildren, Human and Spirit”
Second place going to Rain and Sonder
and third place goes to Quille, with “Bang!”

Thank you so much everyone who participated and congratulations to the winners!!

Once the World Was...

Origin Story

One hot afternoon, a long, long time ago, a tortoise and a capybara were drinking at a stream. The stream was the only place on the island with good, cold water to bathe and drink from, so lots of animals went there. Before long, a sloth and her baby slowly emerged from out of the forest. The palm trees in the forest were inhabited with exotic wildlife. The birds were singing and the sky was blue. It was a beautiful day on the island.
The capybara and the tortoise drank the cool water in silence, while the sloths ate leaves from the delicious saplings that flourished along the stream. The tortoise was thinking about how he wanted to get across the stream. There were lots of prickly pear plants there and those were his favorite. But there was a problem. A stream cut through the center of the island, and to get to the other side you had to either...

WRITING COMPETITION!! PLEASE CHECK THIS OUT!! ENTER FOR A FOLLOW

Hi guys! I know many of you will just scroll past this, but if you happen to read it, I’m having a  writing competition! Anyone who enters will receive a follow as a thank you! Any genre is great, any  length, but NO POEMS PLEASE!! There is no max or min word limit, so you don’t have to worry about fitting your creativity in a paragraph or two! So far I’ve gotten lots of great entry’s and it’s so amazing to see all of the support! Also, please name it #booksandbeacheswritingcontest so I can find it! Thanks a million!

FIRST PLACE
Likes and reviews on some future pieces of the winner!
SECOND PLACE
Likes and reviews on some pieces of the runner up!

Thank you so much anyone who enters, it means so much to me! Keep on writing! Due date TBD but I’m thinking mid-November. Let me know in the comments! Totally happy to answer any questions, and all...

#6things

1. The Office
2. Fuzzy Sweatshirts
3. Ice Tea Lemonades From Starbucks
4. Silent Laughing
5. Over-Sized Apples
6. Warm Blankets

10 Second Essays

Turn.

turn. turn around. turn around as fast as you can. turn around as fast as you can so you don’t get—
never mind.

Floating

Clinging on the the life jacket I had bought before I got on the boat, I tore off people trying to grab the strings. I watched others get swept away by the menacing waves, and other slip under the surface, doomed to stay at the bottom of the dark pit of water forever. I would help, but I couldn’t. I didn’t know how to swim. A mother with an infant bobbing up in down in the water cried out a name. A small boy paddled his way over to her. He took the baby as they floated away.
I bobbed up in down in the cold water, weeping silently. I was going to die. All of a sudden, I saw a shadow in the fog. It was a boat! I squirmed and screamed, hoping they would hear me. The raft came over towards me, and they heaved me on board.
“Thank you! Thank you!” I exclaimed. I had been saved...

FIRST PLACE
Likes and reviews on all future pieces of the winner!
SECOND PLACE
Likes and reviews on some future pieces of the runner up!

Thank you so much anyone who enters, it means so much to me! Keep on writing! Due date TBD but I’m thinking mid-November. Let me know in the comments! Totally happy to answer any questions, and...

Hi guys! I know many of you will just scroll past this, but if you happen to read it, I’m having a  writing competition! Anyone who enters will receive a follow as a thank you! Any genre is great, any  length, but NO POEMS PLEASE!! Also, please name it #booksandbeacheswritingcontest so I can find it! Thanks a million!

FIRST PLACE
SECOND PLACE

Thank you so much anyone who enters, it means so much to me! Keep on writing! Due date TBD but I’m thinking mid-November. Let me know in the comments! Totally happy to answer any questions, and all the support is amazing! Thank you everyone and keep on writing!

FIRST PLACE
SECOND PLACE

FIRST PLACE
SECOND PLACE

Thank you so much anyone who enters, it means so much to me! Keep on writing! Due date TBD but I’m thinking mid-November. Let me know in the comments!

Hi guys! I know many of you will just scroll past this, but if you happen to read it, I’m having a novel writing competition! Anyone who enters will receive a follow as a thank you! Any genre is great, any  length, but NO POEMS PLEASE!! Also, please name it #booksandbeacheswritingcontest so I can find it! Thanks a million!

FIRST PLACE
SECOND PLACE

Hi guys! I kknow many of you will just scroll past this, but if you happen to read it, I’m having a novel writing competition! Anyone who enters will receive a follow as a thank you! Any genre is great, any  length, but NO POEMS PLEASE!! Also, please name it #booksandbeacheswritingcontest so I can find it! Thanks a million!

FIRST PLACE
SECOND PLACE

Thank you so much anyone who enters, it means so much to me! Keep on writing!

Monks: Chapter 1

Paro Taktsang, Bhutan, 700 meters above ground
Abhaya placed the steaming bowl of rice in front of me and chopsticks clinked against the ancient porcelain bowls. Being a monk at 14 as well as the youngest in the monastery wasn’t always easy. I had to clean all of bowls after the two meals everyday, sweep the floors and look after the goats in the small pasture close to the monastery. The rest of my time was spent meditating. It was a quiet life, and some of the monks had taken an oath of silence. The others were men of few words.
When I came back from milking the goats, most of the monks where meditating, so I walked on cat’s feet through the monastery to join the others. The emerald gems on the walls made me nostalgic. I remembered running and playing with friends in the village, before everything was destroyed. In the reflection of the shiny walls I saw...

A Fable

Five Endings

Five Endings

1. The bells on the tower chimed, and Oliviana knew all was well again.
2. “Just take it and go” he demanded, “they’re coming, and they’re coming fast”.
3. And so the journey was over, tied up with a bow, and sent someone else’s way.
4. It sifted through the trees and jumped from tall towers,and then it landed right where no one could reach it.
5. “Isnt it nice to think we too could fly?” She mumbled. “Yes. Yes it is.”

Personal Essay Competition: Making Change 2018

Gender in Society

Only 4.8% of Fortune 500 CEOs are female. Last year it was 6.4%. 2016 was the first year that a woman made it to presidential primaries. In the past, there was no such thing as stay-at-home-dads. And even now, there aren’t that many. These are all gender roles. They are what’s people define as the norm for each gender. But why are they there, and what difference do they make on the world?
It began when she was in preschool. It was subtle at first but turned more obvious. She would want to be the brother when we played family and never wore dresses. She wanted to be a construction worker, unlike the other people in her class. By the time my sister was in kindergarten last year, it was more noticeable. She would mostly hang out with boys. She wore an old collared shirt of my brothers to picture day. She was different from most of the girls in...

Purple Handed

I slipped on my favorite purple gloves quietly. I walked down the hall, around the corner, and into the office. I snuck under the table, and into the filing room. I opened the 2nd cabinet on the left. I took out the file, and climbed out of the window.
“Mom, I have it. Did you call the school telling them that you picked me up?” I asked impatiently as I ran in the front door.
“They didn't really like it that you just disappeared, but it's sorted out.” she told me. “Now, show me the file. I've been waited for this for too long. Way too long. Like a tree waited to die. A icicle in the Artic waiting to-”
“Mom, I get it.” I tell her. I give her the folder, also wanting to see what was inside.
“Look! Look!! Oh! Oscar! It's, it's, it's, the scores for the test! Just what the SSEPO needs!” Mom exclaimed.
“Really? I...

Prized Posession

Soft as velvet,
Quiet and loud,
Tiny paws imprint the mud.
Dog toys are strewn all across the house,
Chewed up and ripped in half.

You can find him lying on the floor,
Or chewing on the basket of firewood.
We’ve only had him for a month,
But he’s already chewing up the rugs.

His name is Basil,
Named after a man in a British TV show.
He’s a Bernese, rust, white and black.
His big white chest is perfect for belly rubs.
He never plays on the rug,
Only the cool wood floor.

He drives me crazy sometimes,
Jumping up the slippery stairs,
and running around frantically,
Even if he knows he shouldn’t.

Touch his flat multi colored head,
And you’ll get bitten.
He loves the cold
And sitting out by the side door.
He hates his crate,
Even if we treat him with sticky, gooey peanut butter.

We just got him,
And he’s still a puppy.
He will...

Where I’m From

I am from seaweed filled waters,
from the LEGOs on the floor,
and using mason jars as cups.
I am from the cold, dark basement that hosts lively sleepovers,
from the baby toys, saved for when friends come over.
I am from the pictures on the fridge for birthdays
and the weekend Whole Foods trips.
I am from the work calls that go on for what seems like hours
and the constant “sorry I’m late”s.
From “screen time is at 5 o’clock”
and “dinner is ready!”
I am from going to church on Christmas and Easter,
from cluttered countertops and dog toys strewn all around the floor.
I’m from Chicago, but also from England,
from GoGo SqueeZes,
and healthy graham crackers that taste like cardboard.
From the time my brother got stitches,
after jumping on the bed with me.
I am from the magical trips to Cape Cod in summer,
where I frolic in the water with family,
and devour...

Have a Wonderful Day Stranger!

It was a warm September day, and Mia and Olivia were waiting at the bus station in front of Howard Edwards Junior High. It was the first day of school.
“I have English first, Advanced Algebra second, French third, and History fourth.” Mia recited. A teenager with floppy brown locks, wearing dark jeans, and a light gray t-shirt, that read “Bob’s Barber Shop”, sat down next to them. He looked scary and depressed, sat down next to Mia and Olivia. Mia looked warily at the stranger, and then scooted, a little away from him, and towards Olivia. Olivia, who was the peppy one of the two, being a cheerleader, randomly said,
“Have a wonderful day stranger!” Then, she promptly skipped onto the bus, humming a song, while Mia, confused, ran onto the bus after her.
The next day after school, Mia and Olivia, were doing their homework, but Mia couldn't stop thinking about the guy at the bus stop. She...

Gender in Society

Only 4.8% of Fortune 500 CEOs are female. Last year it was 6.4%. 2016 was the first year that a woman made it to presidential primaries. In the past, there was no such thing as stay-at-home-dads. And even now, there aren’t that many. These are all gender roles. If you look up stock photos of CEOs, its almost all men. Stock photos are professional photos of something that is ordinary or appears to be. So does that mean that an ordinary CEO is a white male? Female CEOs have to work twice as hard just to be seen by society. That is all thanks to gender roles.
It began when she was in preschool. It was subtle at first but turned more obvious. She would want to be the brother when we played family and never wore dresses. She wanted to be a construction worker, unlike the other people in her class. By the time my sister was in kindergarten...