lamonnaie

She/her. Books. Writing. Phandom. Tennis. Skam France. TØP.
I like writing. a lot.
Feedback is always appreciated!! :D

Writing Streak Week 1 Day 5

School Term Finishes Off With a BANG!

Amidst increasing Coronavirus fears, Western Australia has opted to close schools one week early for the holidays, marking today as the final day of the term. For one local school girl, this will serve as a much-needed break.
"I know we've been having online school for the past week, but people don't realise how stressful even that can be," says lamonnaie, who couldn't be happier about it. "I know the circumstances aren't the best and I obviously would rather be at school if it meant we wouldn't have to deal with this pandemic. Yet this is still just really great."
With the holidays now extended to a whopping 3 weeks, lamonnaie and classmates alike can finally take some time off for themselves.

Writing Streak Week 1 Day 4

First Fast Food Meal in a Month!

Earlier tonight, local girl lamonnaie and family were spotted feasting on rotisserie chicken and fries from their local chicken shop. 
"I was craving this so bad!" says lamonnaie's sister. "Quarantine means that we've barely been going out. FINALLY, we can get some junky stuff in here."
With one look at their pantry showing stockpiles of quinoa and chia seeds, it's clear that this was a much-needed intervention. Yet lamonnaie seems to think differently.
"I don't know, all of this junk food's left me feeling kinda bad," she comments.
Despite what various family members might think, it's clear that in the moment, absolutely no one was complaining as they stuffed their faces.

Writing Streak Week 1 Day 3

Late Night Drives Lead to Some Much Needed Introspection

After nearly a week self-quarantining, lamonnaie has finally stepped out of her home to get some much needed fresh air. At around 9:00pm tonight, she was seen with her family driving to the city, yet never once stepping out of the vehicle.
"With online school going on and everyone on edge with social distancing, I think we all need some time out of it," says her father, who was seen driving the family car. With strict new laws stating only that 2 people can walk together (with the exception of family), it seems that opting for a leisurely drive is a much better alternative.

Writing Streak Week 1 Day 2

Local Girl Spotted Performing Bizarre Actions

Earlier today at 4:10 pm this afternoon, local schoolgirl lamonnaie was seen hunched over a notebook furiously scribbling out page after page of incoherent writing. Upon closer inspection, it could be seen that she was, in fact, writing out pages of lists.
"I like listing. It's fun, it's distracting, it's relaxing, it's great," she says. The various lists, with titles ranging from 'Lists of Hot Guys' to 'Checkworthy Tumblrs' to 'Things to do When You're Feeling Down,' could be seen taking up over 50 pages in lamonnaie's notebook. Yet that's not all.
"I have another notebook of lists and thoughts that I finished a couple of months ago," she shared with us, while continuing her latest list: "Ways to Socially Interact Without Actually Interacting Socially."

Writing Streak Challenge Week 1

Writing Streak Week 1 Day 1

Shocking Actions! Busy Girl Ignores Responsibilities for YouTube

Aged 14, Western Australian-local lamonnaie was spotted browsing popular video-sharing platform YouTube at 11:50 am this morning, only minutes after her third period English class had begun.
"Online school just makes it so much easier to procrastinate," she commented when asked about her actions. While English teacher Ms C had put up an array of discussion questions to be finished within the period, lamonnaie had opted to delve into discussions of conspiracy theories and COVID drama instead. 
"I feel like online teaching is just an excuse for kids to stay on their devices all day," says Ms C, who's not impressed by the actions of lamonnaie and others like her.

Op-Ed Competition 2020

Asylum Seekers: Their Pain is Our Pain

Just this morning, I was scrolling through my Newsfeed, and an article about asylum seekers caught my eye. It was the third one I’ve seen just this week. If this ridiculous amount of news coverage meant anything at all, something must have been up. I clicked into the article and saw that it was about the detention camps asylum seekers coming to Australia are kept in. The word ‘detention’ doesn’t exactly bring up memories of playgrounds and laughter for anyone, but it couldn’t be that bad, could it? Oh, how naïve I was. The photosets that followed in that article brought me close to tears, with mould growing on the tent walls and photos of innocent children looking ill due to malnourishment.  Australia’s detention facilities and their treatment of asylum seekers is, put simply, absolutely horrific. Yet that’s merely a start to the twisted world of Australia’s treatment of asylum seekers, and it absolutely must be reformed immediately.

Of all...

I'M BACKK (Previously CuriosityKilledTheCat)

Hi everyone!!!
I was off WtW for a solid 8 months (according to my activity feed), and although it didn't feel anywhere near as long, I'm back now!
I'm seeing a lot of new people around and thus I'm here with a spunky new username: lamonnaie (previously CuriosityKilledTheCat).
So all that's left to say is hello?
I'll try to be active once more and hopefully I won't be making another one of these posts in 8 months time. 

See you around,
lamonnaie.

I Was Told

I was told
that we are all equal.
Just like the child with her imaginary toys
and the businessman with his diamond smile and golden wallet
and the woman with the purple bruises splattered on her like paint.
They're obviously all equal.

I was told
that we are all free.
Just like the children wasting away in dank cells made of "care"
and the men trading in their skirts for trousers because they should "act like real men"
and the girl with her hair covered but her faith on display, just asking to be tormented by the creatures around her.
They're obviously all free.

I was told 
that we are all happy.
Just like child living in a world of lies because it beats living with the truth
and the father drinking his problems away in a rage of black and blue 
and the mother waiting for her son day in and day out -...

Hopeless(ness) #powerfulpoems

"It'll be alright"
but it won't.
I know it
and so do you.

My thoughts are splattered on the walls
and my words are polluting the air
and my dreams are stray clouds in the sky
floating further and further away.

There are monsters under my bed
but there are also monsters in my mind.
Yelling and screaming and shouting
all the time.

So maybe I'm drowning
in a thick web of dread.
The lights have all gone out
and my head's going under.
down 
down 
down

I don't think I'll reach the surface again.

Sparkler

“…five, four, three, two, one.”
Flashes of fairy dust seemed to erupt all around us, these peaceful bombs raining down with joy and happiness that seemed to engulf everyone like a warm hug. Smoke spiralled down and tingled my nostrils, reminding me of a hearty fire. The crowds everywhere seemed to have merged into one singular form, souls and bodies replaced by ear-piercing “whoops” and gentle smiles. Crack. Crack. Crack. The fireworks kept going off, filling my heart with a reverberating thud and my eyes with sprinkles in a myriad of colours. I sighed, a Cheshire grin spreading across my face as I congealed with the unitary blob that flowed around me.

“Aaron!”
Was that just my imagination, or was someone calling to me through the deafening crowd of strangers and strange beings? I turned around slowly, my eyes scattering across unfamiliar faces before sharp eyes the colour of ice demanded my attention.
“Here,” a honey-smooth voice tickled my...

Crowded Streets and Aching Thoughts - REVISED

It had been a cloudy evening, the thick wads of cotton wool floating through the air all soaked in grey paint. Yet I knew that the inevitable downpour could do nothing to tamp down the spirits of the million people milling around us like ants. I sighed, continuing the trek through the pot-holed Bangladesh street, my mum not far behind. She wasn’t smiling.
 “Is there something on my face?”
She smirked, breaking her icy stare from before.
“You don’t seem the most excited to be here,” she started, gazing about at the billion people rushing about.
I peered around as well. It was almost impossible to breathe there; a never-ending static always playing in the background – whether it be someone yelling in the street, a child crying or the incessant honk honk of cars. How did people even think when it felt like someone had accidentally left the fast-forward button on and the entire movie was passing by?

“There’s...

Crowded Streets and Aching Thoughts

It had been a cloudy evening, perhaps there would be rain later, but the smoke filling up the air would be able to cut through that, I thought, as I continued lugging myself through the pot-holed Bangladesh street with my mum at my side. She wasn’t smiling.
 “Do I have something on my face?”
My mother smirked, breaking her icy stare from before.
“You don’t seem the most excited to be here,” she started, gazing about at the billion people who seemed to be milling around us.
I peered around as well. It was almost difficult to breathe being there; there was always some form of noise – someone yelling in the street, a child crying, the incessant honk honk of cars. How did people even think when it always felt like someone had accidentally left the fast-forward button on and the entire movie was passing by?
“There’s always so much going on,” I sighed. “How did you manage to...

Fit For the Kings - REVISED

"I'm not chicken!" I had protested.
"Of course you're not, but why don't you prove it to us?" one of the older boys, the seeming conductor of their mismatched orchestra, had replied. 
I knew I should have backed out then, said I needed to go home, faked a call, anything at all - but my mouth had betrayed all of my thoughts.
"I'll do it."

That conversation seemed a lifetime ago as I hauled myself up the pristine front steps at a snail’s pace. It’s milky-white concrete stood out from the overgrown foliage devouring the house from all sides, but the building itself was still sumptuous through its ordeal, looming above me with an air of authority. I couldn’t decide which of its deceiving faces were worse: a party disrupting a war or a war disrupting a party. A chill ran down my spine. If this house had really been vacant for centuries, why did I feel like a drowning...

Fit for the Kings #Cliffhangerqueencontest

"I'm not chicken!" I had protested.
"Of course you're not, but why don't you prove it to us?" one of the older ones, the seeming conductor of this mismatched orchestra, had replied. 
I knew I should have backed out then, said I needed to go home, faked a call, anything at all - but my mouth seemed to betray all of my thoughts.
"I'll do it."

That conversation seemed a lifetime ago as I made my way up the spotless front steps excruciatingly slowly. They stood out from the overgrown foliage that seemed to devour the house from all sides, providing a stark contrast to the well-maintained building ahead of me. Yet I couldn't decide which of its deceiving faces were worse: a party disrupting a war or a war disrupting a party. No one had lived in the house for years, making it the ideal place for cruel teenage boys to set off the unassuming new kid. After all,...

I'm over this

I want to lie down in a field of flowers that feel like clouds and never get up again.

#questionsthatneedanswers Because yes, I am bored.

1. Did you ever have that moment when you realized that you could've taken the easy way instead is suffering? Was your suffering worth it?
Umm... I overthink things a lot so to take this question a lighter way, yes I do have that moment all the time. Was the suffering worth it? Probably not.

2. What's your favorite time of day?
I love early mornings when it's not very busy and late at night just because it kinda feels magical.

3. What's the saddest word in the English language? Why?
Failure. It's such a harsh word and honestly, nothing at all is ever a complete failure, you just have to learn from it. Also, the entire concept is terrifying.

4. Do you ever have that feeling you're being watched as you write your stories?
Nope, but I randomly feel like I'm being watched at other times.

5. How do you feel about the number 7?
It's my favourite number, but...

Momma #standalonedialogue

"Momma, I wanna go home."
"We can't leave yet, sweetie."
"But Momma, I wanna go home now."
"Not yet, sweetie, not yet."
"Momma, why'd you just grab my collar? I think that man running towards me wanted to say hi."
"I was just smoothing it down."
"I still want to go home Momma. Home."
"I'm not exactly sure where that is though, sweetie."

A Few Loose Screws

“Hey Jeff, grab the spanner would ya?”        
“Getting it.”
“Great.”
I reached for the spanner, lifting it up with ease before throwing it over to Brent who stood waiting with an outstretched arm. It was those small things that would have made Dad flash a rare grin back in the day, muttering a “Good on ya, boy” or “See? This is who you really are, son”, before returning to his paper, his face transformed back into stone and hard lines. He would always say that it was the state of the world that made him that way, but I’d rather believe that it was his state of mind that distorted the world for him. Yet I’d still follow him like a blind dog – sign up to all the football teams, use violence as the only way to fix problems, slowly watch my sanity evaporate as easily as the steam from his infinite cups of coffee. At least, that’s...

REAL #supposedtobe

"Being yourself is SO important," someone states as we continue covering up our personalities with glitter and sparkles.

Love in Words

Dear whoever it ends up being,

Is it weird that I'm kinda sorta already head-deep in adoration for an idea? A suggestion? Someone who may or may not be a figment of my current imagination? Because it sure feels like it is. 
Arranged marriage is a definite in my distant future and I've been at peace with the idea for a while now, but I don't know if maybe I'm a little too at peace with it. Because I won't know them very well, whoever they are, but who says that's gonna stop us from making those memories that last? I once heard someone I never paid enough attention to say "I don't care if they''re a random stranger when we meet, because that's inevitable, but I want to fall in love with them after." And I can't help but to agree with that.
Is there any such thing as true love? What about soul mates and perfect strangers? Because I want to believe in...

Answers to the Reader - From Ask the Writer :DDD

It's been a while since I published the Ask the Writer - so here are my answers to the questions!! Thank you so much to everyone for asking, my already inflated ego definitely needed this :P. Without further ado:

What is the story of your user name? Johanna 
Once upon a time I was very active on this forum that existed, and these magical things called signature shops existed, where basically you had your own shop and people could order signatures/edits from you. My shop was called 'Curiosity Killed the Cat', so when I was making a WtW account I just decided to use that.

What are your opinions of fan fiction? Johanna 
I kinda sorta really love it?? Fandom culture is really inclusive and the fact that there are so many talented writers dedicating their time to this art is really lovely and there are some really well thought out and written works out there. That...

Ask the Writer XD

So I was off WtW for a week or so, and I come back and see that these ask the writer thingy-majigs are huge, so I'm hopping onto the bandwagon!! 
If you don't already know, basically you ask questions in the comments and then I'll answer them all in a separate piece.
Ask me anything and everything (nothing too personal though - I unfortunately won't be giving away my address) and Ill do my best to answer!!! :DDD

ASK AWAYYYY!!!!!!

Ask the Writer XD

ASK AWAYYYY!!!!!!

Ask the Writer XD

ASK AWAYYYY!!!!!!!

Mixtape

Unindicative of Anything Really - Mixtape of Summer 18/19

I've been pondering over this prompt for a while now and I've come to the conclusion that just I'll never be able to decide on a mixtape for my actual LIFE (that's a huge deal), so here are some songs that I kinda sorta love right now or forever (in no particular order) - and yes, there's absolutely zero variety because I don't really listen to that much music:

1. Don't Take the Money - Bleachers
2. Northern Downpour - Panic! at the Disco
3. Preach - Keiynan Lonsdale
4. I Write Sins Not Tragedies - Panic! at the Disco
5. Rollercoaster - Bleachers
6. Just Hold On - Louis Tomlinson
7. Strong - One Direction
8. Permanent Vacation - 5 Seconds of Summer
9. High Hopes - Panic! at the Disco
10.Wild Heart - Bleachers
11.Hey Look Ma, I Made It - Panic! at the Disco
12.Youngblood - 5 Seconds of Summer

The Vistas Beyond

What I Can't See

I want to see the world: waves greedily devouring the sand, trees whispering their secrets to the unsuspecting passerby, brick walls with adventures mapped out in their crevices, jagged mountains falling and rising on a roller coaster ride. But how will I see it all? There doesn't seem to be any windows.

Tiny Love Story

You Are My Sunshine (Quite Literally)

Pitter patter. Drip drop. That's what the days were like: grey, devoid of life, empty. The rain would keep bucketing down and the people would keep buying buckets to place under their roofs. There was wealth, there was happiness, there was life, there was love - then all of a sudden there was nothing. Maybe it's a bit cruel to say she was tied down forever to an inanimate being that had betrayed her (and everyone else). But maybe her faith was the only sane thing left in the town. Sunshine - her first, her one, her only, her forever.

Red #BleedingLove

Red.
It was the sound of your voice as you whispered sweet nothings into my ear.
It was the taste of fairy floss in summers that passed like seconds with you.
It was your perfume that smelled of burning flowers and controlled chaos.
It was the warmth in that cabin we shared in the middle of nowhere.
it was your rosy cheeks when I first said ''I love you".

Red.
It was your sharp words like knives that kept cutting me down.
It was the taste of your lips that were bitter with verbal poison.
It was the pungent stench of alcohol in your house at 2 AM.
It was the heat burning down every last thing we ever had.
It was the my love splattered on the concrete like discarded paint.

Help's Never a Beat Away #Cliffhangerqueencontest

Whirr, whirr, whirr. The air around me seemed to come alive with what sounded like the buzz of a million bees trying to break in. Yet even the aggressive call of the propeller couldn't drown out the noise of my heart about to beat right out of confinement. It was my first assignment after the incident."You'll be fine," I had told myself. "Nothing to worry about." Yet my clammy hands and sudden shortness of breath seemed to say otherwise. I gripped the wheel with all my strength, knuckles turning a ghostly shade, but it was the only thing I could do to ground myself. My partner gave me a sideways glance. This was going to be some ride.

Shades of aqua and emerald intertwined underneath us to form an endless forest of undulating currents. It seemed deathly calm - almost too calm, with barely a wave disturbing the serenity.
    The intercom suddenly crackled to life," Chopper One,...

Calculate #objects

Brrriiinnnggg. Thump.
"Sit. Start."
Pencil in hand,
But mind lost in thought
about breakfast (or lunch).

Click. Clack. Clunk.
One plus one equals two.
Whisper the secrets out.
Shift to find pi.
This morning's pie was nicer.

Yell the answers to me now.
But stop, be quiet, don't let the others know.
Nine divided by three is three.
Thank you my friend,
you're making this a breeze.

"Stop. Stand."
It's time to leave.
Calculator, calculator,
I promise I didn't cheat.

Kerthump. Clack. In. Out. #fiveendings

Kerthump. Kerthump. Kerthump. That's the sound of her heart clocking in at a million miles an hour. Click. Clack. Clunk.That's the sound of the infinite shoes bleeding into one as they make their way here. "Breathe in. Breathe out." That's the sound of her secretary acting the peacemaker in a place where peace doesn't exist. And she's on.

Kerthump goes the restless souls gathered in front of her like buzzing bees, clack goes her lonely shoes, "Breathe in. Breathe out" goes the ghost of a voice in her mind. Maybe she should have listened.

Kerthump. Kerthump. Kerthump. That's not the sound of her heart providing her with the one thing she desperately needs. Click. Clack. Clunk. That's not the sound of any compassionate shoes running to get her assistance. "Breath in. Breathe out." That's not the sound coming out of anyone's stitched-shut mouth. Alas, all the world watched as she died.

Over #oneblue

Blue: the only thing left on her face after the chainsaw fell victim and the weeds took over.

#mystoryq&a

Wow, it's another q&a. Pretty sure no one is interested, but I find them fun, so here goes............

do you still live where you were born?

Nope. I was born in Bangladesh, but moved to Australia when I was 3. 

how many languages do you speak/study? 
I can speak English and Bengali fluently, and I'm also studying French at school. I can read Arabic and understand a tiny bit of it, and I also know the basics of Japanese.

do you consider yourself a good student? 
I guess so. I'm mostly topping all of my classes, so I'm pretty lucky.

do you sport? 
Absolutely NOT. I like tennis and badminton, and other incidental activity, but anything else involving physical activity is a sure-fire way to make me forever have a distaste towards you.

are you religious? 
Yep. I'm a practising Muslim and I love my religion.

what should you be doing right now? (me, studying for two tests i have in...

Love in 13 Words

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star just became my favourite song after you sang it.

Fourth of July

Fireworks flying like fairy dust
a sprinkle of magic added to the night.
It's splatters of paint upon a splotchy black canvas
swirling and curling like light.
It's a welcomed bomb exploding with pride
a party popper ready to excite.
It's the charged dance of a practised troupe
bringing with it the country’s fight.

Extraordinary in the Ordinary

Winter Blanket

Wisps of wandering white snow
come twirling and curling down.
A woollen blanket
cocooning the dormant Earth
lulling it into a peaceful sleep.
Its infinite threads
serving as the world's largest bed
as the final animals sleep.

Civil War

War struck
    the crying land
  screams out in agony
at the violent fireworks
        raging.

New York Nights

The last rays of golden thread
reach down to the waiting world.
Only flickering lights ahead,
a shimmering universe now unfurled.

In the City That Never Sleeps,
it’s not just you and it’s not just me.
Infinite secrets that it keeps,
all waiting to be set free.

So she makes her way into the young night
leaving all her worries behind.
Everything just a bit more bright
in the clutches of a curfew, she is no longer confined.

Gucci, Chanel, Versace, Armani
line the streets that never end.
The models, the homeless, the rich, the scrawny
a million people here to attend.

In the City That Never Sleeps,
it’s not just you and it’s not just me.
Infinite secrets that it keeps,
all waiting to be set free.

So she sneaks unnoticed into the eye of the storm
“Party like there’s no tomorrow”, they say.
So she’ll twist and turn and sway and perform
like an...