Alicat

I am just a young writer hoping to make a difference in the world I live in.

I'm a nerd :)
Animal Lover
Bookworm
Photographer
Musicophile

I have so many ideas and nowhere to start.

"No matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there's something stronger- something better, pushing right back." -Albert Camus

"Are You Sure You're Okay?"

No, I'm okay. Really.
Of course. Why wouldn't I be?
I'm just tired, that's all.
For real, you shouldn't have to worry about me.
Eh. I feel a bit sick, I guess. But it's okay.
Early morning, rough night, that's all. Too much homework, I guess.
Little tired. Sorry if I'm quiet.
So far so good.
Okay. How are you?
A bit flooded with work, I suppose. But really, I'm fine.
Lost in thought, sorry. Um, I'm fine. You?
Oh, I'll be fine.
Not horrible, I guess.
Every day you ask me that. I'm fine, really.

The Turtle

A bright green turtle,
With brown and white checkered across the shell, 
And big eyes that seemed to hold the whole world inside.
When I saw this small stuffed animal,
Waiting patiently for me in the store,
My thoughts drifted
To the newborn baby I’d soon meet,
The one who held all her limbs in the air,
As if they were not held down by gravity,
Like a turtle flipped on its back.

I thought it was the perfect gift
For the little baby who hated her breathing tube,
And had to have it taped to her face so it would stay in.
Maybe it would give her hands something else to do.
This little stuffed animal was bigger than her head,
So by her head it stayed,
Watching over her even when I had to go back home.

It was painful, then,
When the turtle was handed back to me,
Just two months after she was born.

I Didn't Take a Picture

I didn't take a picture the first time I saw a bald eagle.
It was soaring in the clear blue air,
bathed in the glow of the morning light
as the determined sun rose over the towering trees.

I didn't take a picture when I I glimpsed 
the boisterous sun disappear, 
finally quieted for a moment 
by the soft moon,
the world around me relaxing
in the second of welcoming night.

I didn't take a picture of the forgotten turtle shell,
too far from the lake it called home,
and too close to the road it couldn't bear to cross,
left as a warning for those who took the same path.

And I didn't take a picture of the rhino head,
its skin, dotted with hair the prickled underhand,
frozen in time,
forever captured in taxidermy, 
its unseeing eyes heavy
with one silent, sorrowful wish,
never to be spoken. 

I didn't take a picture.
Not because I couldn't,
or because the...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Climate Change Catastrophe

I've heard the stories. Rivers withering away to nothing in different lands, polar ice caps melting in the Arctic ocean, the earth as we know it slowly dying under our destructive hand. I've seen the pictures of devastation because of natural disasters that popped up due to our lack of caring, and I've read the news stories over how the ocean life is perishing not only from pollution, but from rising temperatures in the water. Climate change has had such a huge impact on our society, and if we don't do anything about it, it's only going to get worse.
   While I do passionately care about trying to fix the problems the world faces, there were times where it seemed so distant, as if it were happening in someone else's life. The ways global warming affected me and the place I lived were subtle for the most part. I live in the MIdwest, where we are subject to extreme temperatures,...

Footprints

Leaving Footprints

Carbon Contributors
-food
-mobility
-service

Symbolic Footprints
-I want to leave books I've written behind to get the population to do something about the problems in our society. I want to be remembered through my writing, a figure to talk about and celebrate, my memory living on when I am high above the world. Part of that is being one of the only people to publish books the way they should be. I want my books to be on paper (no e books) that doesn't use trees. There are many other ways to make paper, such as using elephant dung or recycled plastic water bottles. 
-I also want to be remembered for my animal shelter. It's my plan to build a shelter that takes the unwanted animals normal shelters would put down and give them another chance at life. After all, why should we be able to decide who lives and who dies?
-I don't have to be embraced by...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Climate Change Catastrophe

But yet, though I know this destruction is happening to my world, it's always seemed so distant, as if it were happening in someone else's life. The ways global warming affected me and the place I lived were subtle, for the most part. Though the winter did seem a bit too cold, and lasted a bit...

Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

Climate Change Catastrophe

I've heard the stories. Rivers withering away to nothing in different lands, polar ice caps melting in the Arctic ocean, the earth as we know it slowly dying under our destructive hand. I've seen the pictures of devastation because of natural disasters that popped up due to our lack of caring, and I've read the news stories over how the ocean life is perishing not only from pollution, but from rising temperatures in the water. Climate change has had such a huge impact on our society, and if we don't do anything about it it's only going to get worse.
    But yet, though I know this destruction is happening to my world, it's always seemed so distant, like it was happening in someone else's life. The ways global warming affected me and the place I lived were subtle, for the most part. Though the winter did seem a bit to cold, and lasted a bit too...

The Glass Box

Yes, I am smiling.
But if you just look into my eyes, 
You'll find that inside, I am dying.
Deep in the center of my mind there lies
A glass box, with a black cloth to conceal it.
Fragile and invisible, something no one ever sees,
While behind the slightly cracked glass, a tiny girl sits.
Her mouth is gagged to muffle her screams,
Her hands are bound to prevent escape,
Though nothing is stopping her tears from escaping down her cheeks.
If only someone noticed, she might avoid her lonely fate,
But no one ever will, so her future is bleak.
This girl is me,
My sorrows and my fears, 
That box houses all that will never be free,
Like my pain and all my tears.
So I may be dying,
But you'll never know,
Because outside I'm smiling,
Never letting the broken girl show.

Storytime

I want to tell a story
of truth ringing clear
but it's impossible.
There is no
time,
place to begin,
climax,
or any kind of plot at all,
and no words to tell it with. 
It may sound
like a terrible story,
one nobody would want to hear,
and sometimes I agree.
But it's the story of my life
so won't you please listen?

Writing Resolutions

Writing Goals

Writer-centered Goal- I want to stick to more of my projects. Way too often I get distracted and abandon my story, only to find it later, unfinished, with no clue how I wanted it to go.

Craft-centered Goal- I want to improve on my story introductions. When I have an idea, it's usually the plot. I'm so excited for the story to begin that I blank on how to.

Three Years

December 26th. 
The day my heart brightened,
my load lightened,
and in my hands I held on
to the most precious creature.
She was mine,
my rock, 
my soul,
my life.

January 3rd.
Three years passed,
three years of love
gone in an instant.
Three years ago,
I took my first breath,
you in my arms.
Three years after,
still in my arms,
you took your last.

January 26th.
23 days later,
I truly held you for the last time
as I lowered your ashes into the ground.
I picked you up
one fateful day in December
and didn't let you go once
until I had to
Three years
and one month 
later.

Doesn't Matter

Little Red was a torpedo of energy, running outside and dancing under the night sky. excited that, in an hour, she would be in traveling in the country with her parents. Her parents had been promising her they'd go out in the country for months now, and tonight, on the night of a meteor shower, they were finally following through with their promise. Red's eyes twinkled as she looked up at the few stars burning bright, the rest hidden by the powerful city lights. She laughed, thinking that soon the sky would erupt with stars, out in the country. 
    As she ran back inside, eager to get going, she stopped in her tracks as she saw her mom in the bedroom, applying makeup in front of the mirror. Her mom was wearing a fancy black dress, one that was not intended for a night out in the country. 
    "Sweetie! You're just the one I...

The Truth

I might laugh at your words
and seem to brush them off 
but the truth is your words
cut me deeper than any knife
could ever hope to.
I might smile and joke
when you are around me
but alone
I finally take off the mask
I feel like I have to constantly wear around you.

The truth is I am
highly sensitive
and though I try to hide my feelings
they all eventually bubble up and
explode
making me fall deeper into this mess
I insist on calling
my life.

The truth is my mind is
always racing
full of things to say
and do
but they never leave their
prison cell in my mind
but just because they are
trapped
doesn't mean they aren't there.

The truth is I have 
no idea
how to act around other people
because of the constant
pressure
I feel from the people
around me already.

The truth is I am
not
put...

Personal Essay Competition: Making Change 2018

Leaving Litter

Birds were chirping merrily in the clear blue sky as blossoming flowers and leafy trees swayed in the cool breeze. Thomas and his girlfriend, Brinn, decided that it was a perfect day for a picnic the park, strolling toward the picnic bench with the delectable smell of fast food drifting in the air. I watched from where I was climbing my favorite tree, smiling at their obvious happiness and love. My opinion of them soured, though, when they got up and left the park, leaving their trash scattered about like ink spilled on a landscape painting. 
    I have always been in love with the natural world. Ever since I was a little girl, I always dreamed of doing something important, like saving an animal from danger, or a species from extinction. I wanted to be like Charles Darwin; responsible for many of the most important discoveries we have made about animals, all thanks to his theory...

Life

The taste of dirt did nothing to douse the rage blazing inside of me. I got back up in a flash, ignoring the screaming pain that filled my leg as I did. My attacker was nowhere to be seen, but I felt its leering presence. I gazed longingly at the finish line at the end of the obstacle course, but it seemed so distant, to far to ever reach. I balled my fists together and hobbled along, wary of the next visible obstacle in my way. It was a fifty foot wall, and the footholds to bring myself over it were to high to reach. No matter how high I jumped, I couldn't get over, and every time I landed brought a fresh wave of torturing pain into my leg until I almost blacked out. I yelled out in frustration, and, with a laugh, my invisible attacker slammed me down onto the ground once more, opening a cut on my...

Once the World Was...

Once the World Was New

Once the world was new.
It was teeming with the
chirping melodies of soaring birds,
the sun warmly sweeping over
the bright land where plants
broke free of their soily oppressors
and generously provided food and shelter
for those who needed it
once when the world was new.

Groups of Good Feelings
strolled about the earth
spreading their gifts to all,
filling the skies with rainbows
and the ground with good neighbors
so the trail they traveled upon 
would grow bigger and better
than all the rest because they grew
together
as a community 
once when the world was new.

Then one fateful eve
as the Good Feelings were traveling home
Pure Darkness spewed from the ground like
a volcano, destroying every good thing
in its path, until only rubble remained.
The Good Feelings barely escaped,
and being so caught up in fleeing, 
the Good Feelings failed to see
the blackened rubble shake and
take form of a Good Feeling ...

Why I Write

Why I Write

I write to escape reality,
where I don't matter that much.
I write to express myself,
when spoken words go unnoticed.
I write to quiet down the monsters
dying to be released from my mind.
I write to right the injustices of society.
I write so I won't disappear without a trace.
But the main reason I write is because 
it makes me happy,
and that is the only thing that really matters.

Your World in Three Senses

The Cabin

SIGHT 
  Tall cottonwood trees that are hundreds of years old hug the edge of the deep green lake, their vibrant leaves rustling slightly in the wind, the white cotton fluff drifting slowly down onto the still waters, speckling the lake white. The waves of the lake calmly lap onto the never ending amount of sand on the shore, turning what was subtly yellow dark with moisture. The old picnic bench is rooted nearby, its faded red wood protected from the cheery sun by an old tin cabana. Tall green grasses sprout nearby the lake, not daring to take on the sand farther away from the lake. An old cabin stands a bit away from the scene, the simple structure settling its old bones in the grains of sand that house gnarled toads and gliding grasshoppers as well as playing children and energetic dogs. Flopping fish flail on fishing poles before humans in tank tops and shorts release them...

Leaving Litter