Charlotte Hauge

Op-Ed Competition 2019

Dangerous Technology

Once there was a girl, addicted to her phone. She tried and tried to stop, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get over the wonders of her phone. Social media. Games. Group chats. Anything that was meant for teens was on her phone. One day, this girl got a friend request from a boy she didn't know. Not thinking clearly, she accepted the friend request. They chatted every day, and soon a friendship grew to something more.  Then one day, something happened that shook the girl to tears. The boy wanted to meet her in person. He asked her for her address and at that moment all her instincts kicked in. The boy messaged her every night, worried what had happened to his girlfriend to cause her to ignore him. Soon worry turned to anger. Scared an alone, the girl was in too deep.  She cried every night, terrified of what she had gotten herself into. Terrified...

Op-Ed Competition 2019

Dangerous Technology

Once there was a girl, addicted to her phone. She tried and tried to stop, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't get over the wonders of her phone. Social media. Games. Group chats. Anything that was meant for teens was on her phone. One day, this girl got a friend request from a boy she didn't know. Not thinking clearly, she accepted the friend request. They chatted every day, and soon a friendship grew to something more.  Then one day, something happened that shook the girl to tears. This boy was sending her inappropriate pictures. Scared and alone, the girl was in too deep. She cried every night, terrified of what she had gotten herself into. Terrified of what might happen. One day, a police officer came to her school to give a guest presentation. The police officer gave her courage, and that evening when she came home she gathered up all her confidence and talked to...

Op-Ed Competition 2019

Dangerous Technology

Loneliness

She calls my name
But she's not beside me
I hear her laughter but she's not laughing
I feel her touch
But she's not touching me
Her presence is with me
But she's not beside me
I'm walking in a bubble
With you're presence beside me
The ache inside me
Is bigger than me
Now that I don't have you

Tiny Love Story

The forbidden love

Every night they sneak out to see each other. Strangers at day, soulmates at night. Two girls, hopelessly in love. Their names are Missy and Rachel. Missy's parents have forbidden her from seeing Rachel. But each night, at 9:00 pm exactly, they meet in the secret ravine. Every moment shared  between them is a magical one. One night Missy asks Rachel a question.
"Rachel?"
"Mm?"
"What if we don't make it?"
"Oh Missy. We'll make it. I know we will."
"How?"
"Because I know that I love you and I always will."
Missy smiles. "I love you too."