Fd22aa4d 2798 48c8 87d1 e21418fff502

Corner Writing Club

"Feedback is the breakfast of champions."
-Frank A. Clark

Corner Writing Club is the perfect place for anyone looking for feedback and a chance to contribute to a writing society. Join by following our profile and filling out the form under the piece entitled "Rules and Form" (the second piece under our Published Work). This club is hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird; we publish updates every few days.
Some features this club offers are:
- games/challenges
- prompts
- contests
- featured pieces/writers
- and more!
We operate on a system of monthly reviewing partners. Members of our club are paired with new users every month to write a review of that person's work for every week of that time period.
Please ONLY follow Corner Writing Club if you would like to join this system.

Inactivity Explained

DECEMBER REVIEWING ASSIGNMENTS!

December's not here, but it's close enough that we're publishing reviewing assignments a little early to give everyone a head start. If you are new or don't understand how it works, please read the footnotes.

1. Group 1
    1. omicron7889
    2. muppet
  2. Group 2
    1. Nonny21
    2. star_girl
  3. Group 3
    1. RainAndSonder
    2. INVISIBL3
  4. Group 4
    1. Catlover
    2. _TJNR@cheshire_
  5. Group 5
    1. Misfit
    2. nevaredhp
  6. Group 6
    1. Ellie O'Grady
    2. JediKnightGirl
  7. Group 7
    1. Kenny
    2. Riley Noel
  8. Group 8
    1. Isla-Grace Davies
    2. Anha
  9. Group 9
    1. Crescent
    2. rosemarywisdom
  10. Group 10
    1. valentina
    2. Made4Love
  11. Group 11
    1. kaydenblue
    2. catgirl_55555
  12. Group 12
    1. Ashleigh2403
    2. stripedfly1001
  13. Group 13
    1. LyraLynne
    2. annie_cheng
  14. Group 14
    1. 2A,2H and 1D
    2. ~Kate T
  15. Group 15
    1. ryxxry
    2. Mangolover
  16. Group 16
    1. hibasaurus
    2. Serendipity
  17. Group 17
    1. Kaartika
    2. zodiethegreat
  18. Group 18
    1. R.j.Elsewhere
    2. shadow+dust
  19. Group 19
    1. Paperbird
    2. Onion3102
  20. Group 20
    1. AnonymousWriter
    2. ancientvoices
  21. Group 21
    1. PineappleGirl
    2. AcetheticallyPleasing
  22. Group 22
    1. Avin
    2. Xen
  23. Group 23
    1. Your Local Flynn
    2. AbigailSauble
  24. Group 24
    1. artificialaorta
    2. Kahasai
  25. Group 25
    1. Evan Putt
    2. mariemare
  26. Group 26
    1. Lee Fudge
    2. palindrome
  27. Group 27
    1. AudienceOfOne
    2. elisa
  28. Group 28
    1. Araw
    2. AminahMcBina
  29. Group 29
      ...

CORNER WRITING CLUB'S HUGE COMPETITION!

Competition time is here again!  On our last announcement, we stated that we would open this contest as soon we reached one hundred members; however, as we unfollow our inactive members and accommodate for reviewing assignments, the milestone is getting further away.  This is in no way a complaint: we are glad of Corner Writing Club's manageable size and the small circle of writers we have created.
This means, however, that Corner Writing Club's promised huge contest is opening sooner rather than later.  The version that you are reading now is probably republished, because we want word to spread as much as possible.
If you are interested in becoming a CWC member, you can follow us and fill out the form here.  The competition is open to anybody, but we would prefer it if mostly members took part.

PROMPT
Base your piece around this image.  Use the prompt creatively!  Find a way to incorporate a horse wearing...

NEW PROMPT! #tenwords

Writing flash fiction is no easy task, and shortening the amount of words only adds to the difficulty level.  Today we present a challenge: writing a significant story in no more or less than ten words.
The prompt for this word count is Smoke.  The word MUST appear somewhere in your ten words, whether as an analogy, description, or centerpiece for your story.

Some things to consider when writing under a very limited amount of words:
-Aspect.  It is difficult, to say the least, to sketch an entire plot in ten words.  No novel can fit in one sentence.  For this reason, it is wiser to pursue a story that focuses on a single aspect, such as character or theme.  Instead of attempting to fit an entire arc into your word count, try to use your ten words to describe a particular idea.
-Impact.  It's best if you give the audience chills.  Instead of blunt phrasing, try...

IMPORTANT REVIEWING ASSIGNMENTS ANNOUNCEMENT

As the month is close to finishing up (seemed like it passed by so fast!), it's time to remind everyone that there are only a few days until reviewing assignments are due. Read November Reviewing Assignments for more information. Once finished with all four, please tell us in the form of a comment. 

The important announcement is this: because this club is so large, it's hard to keep track of everyone, especially if some members are inactive. So from now on, if a member hasn't been active in over a month, we will unfollow them and excuse them and their partner from reviewing assignments. However, if that member comes back later on and wants to rejoin the club, they can absolutely do that! We're just doing this to make it easier on us, not to exclude people. After all, we don't want to be nagging an inactive member about incomplete assignments.

If you for any reason cannot participate in monthly...

Announcement: Upcoming Competition

It's been a month or more since we did our first contest, #cwcfirstcontest.  It was a bit miniature, consisting of only first and second places and a short amount of writing time before the deadline.  However, we are now nearing 100 members, and we are planning a much larger contest when we hit the milestone.

You can count our members by going to the "Following" section.  We don't follow back anyone who hasn't done reviewing assignments or filled out the required form.  Therefore disregard our actual follower count, as it is irrelevant to the number of members.

The details so far are vague, but we predict that our upcoming competition will give writers about two months.  There will be first, second, third, fourth, and fifth places.  The prizes will be of similar magnitude.  We are unclear of the prompt details, but the competition will most likely accept stories of one hundred words (for one hundred members).  The competition will open...

CWC Petition Has Been Sent!

Thank you for your cooperation!  It's been a while since we stopped republishing our Messaging System Petition, but it has, just now, been sent to Write the World.  
At the very least, we've tried.

NEW PROMPT! Combining Two Prompts

The Write the World team have drawn up many official writing prompts in the past.  Using the the "Writing Prompt" searcher, you can see hundreds of archived writing activities.  Today's CWC prompt utilizes WtW's countless sources of inspiration.
Under "Writing Groups," browse through WtW's themed prompts.  Find two prompts from two different groups.  Then create a "Free Writing" piece that follows both prompts' instructions.
Example: "Unlikely Places" from Flash Fiction and "We Forget" by Global Citizens.  This piece would combine "Unlikely Place"'s instruction to write from an opened page and "We Forget"'s ideas of failed memory.
List the two prompts you used in the piece.  Attach the hashtag #bothprompts to your title.  We will read, like, and comment on all pieces published under the hashtag.  If you publish something on this prompt a while later than most people, notify us in the comments so we can be sure to look for your piece.
Happy writing!

An Exercise in Setting Description

Now, we all have different strong suits as writers. Some of us are really good at crafting realistic characters, others can make engaging plots, others can bend and twist words in beautiful ways. And while it's important to recognize and play to your strengths in writing, it's also important to work to improve things you aren't so good at. For me, that's description. I tend to forget about it or not include it, and when I do try to write it, I can't think of what to put. I'm sure there are plenty of others that are like me on here, and even if description is your strong suit, it can always be improved, right? So here is a quick exercise based around that.

First, think of a place in your life that you can remember vividly, preferably a very sensually stimulating place. For example, a cafe that you frequent or a woods you hike in. I'm going to choose...

Thank You for Contributing to Our Messaging System Petition!

This is a brief thank you to everyone who supported our petition.  When we first had the idea, we were unsure whether or not people would cooperate in the comment section or if we would gain signatures.  15 days and ~10 republishes later, the petition has 39 likes and 78 signatures, something we'd never have believed possible when we first started.  Every person who commented posted the requested comment.  We're going to email WtW requesting the difference with a link to the petition ASAP.
Special shoutout to stripedfly1001 for being the first to sign.  And thank you to the 78 people who decided to take a chance and make a difference.  This just goes to show what can happen when a community of people band together to make a difference.
At the very least, we've tried.

Featured Writer, and a Goodbye: SomeFormOfWriting

Hello everyone. Today we're going to be acknowledging a highly talented and active writer on this website and a member of our club that is, very sadly, leaving:

SomeFormOfWriting.

I think that SomeFormOfWriting was something of a WtW celebrity in-the-making. Her pieces were extremely well-written and captivating from the moment you started them. Her series, One Last Time, was intriguing, with clever world-building, strong characterization, and a fascinating plot. Her style of writer was one that I always greatly enjoyed, and when I saw a new chapter of One Last Time, it always made me happy. 

SomeFormOfWriting was also very active in the community. She held and participated in contests, did Q+As, gave strong, detailed reviews, and was always supportive and helpful to others. Sadly, as many of you know, she's leaving Write the World. The cause, she explains, is the censorship on this website; multiple pieces of hers got taken down.

Now, SomeFormOfWriting has explained that she doesn't blame Write...

MESSAGING SYSTEM PETITION (PLEASE SIGN!)

If you've read the piece we published last week, you'll know that we decided to try to bring about change on WTW by starting a petition.  The piece I mentioned was a poll to see what change you'd like to see in Write the World with three options.  Option 1, a messaging system that writers can use to communicate, won by majority.

Read the request below.  IF YOU AGREE WITH THIS IDEA, PLEASE LEAVE A SINGLE COMMENT DOWN BELOW THAT CONTAINS ONLY YOUR USERNAME AS AN ACT OF "SIGNING."  DO NOT LEAVE ANY COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, IDEAS, OR OPINIONS IN THE COMMENT SECTION.  We want to make it easy to count how many signatures we have.
If you don't agree with the request below, PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ANYTHING ON THIS PIECE.  If you must, leave a comment on the poll piece mentioned above.
Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

That out of the way, here is our...

New Reviewing System + November Reviewing Assignments!

Alright, we've finally settled upon a system that we think will be easier for us and maybe you guys. We're going to have reviewing partners! Basically, every month we'll pair everyone in the club up, and every week they'll review one of each other's pieces. So you review one of your partner's pieces each week until the end of the month, when we'll give you a new partner and it'll start all over again. This is easier on us and lets everyone get to know each other better!

So here are the pairings for this month (apologies for the weird way it's formatted, I copied and pasted it from a pairing generator website):

1. Group 1
    1. Clarianogirl
    2. I Write Occasionally
  2. Group 2
    1. INVISIBL3
    2. *~. Audrey .~*
  3. Group 3
    1. AbigailSauble
    2. ollieollie
  4. Group 4
    1. LyraLynne
    2. Lee Fudge
  5. Group 5
    1. Lauren Nelson
    2. 2A,2H and 1D
  6. Group 6
    1. Paperbird
    2. annie_cheng
  7. Group 7
    1. Kenny
    2. omicron7889
  8. Group 8
    1. Xen
    2. Gabriel Goodwin
  9. Group 9
    1. Made4Love
    2. AudienceOfOne
  10. Group 10
      ...

How to Be a Good Write the Worldarian *dabs a forth time*

Write the World is a friendly community that is clearly valuable to each person in the club as well as each member of this site.  I'd say its frequent members as well as its more rare users do an excellent job of holding it up.  Everybody here is super nice and supportive of one another's writing.
Today, we're going to give tips on how to be even more supportive (if possible), how to give yourself a good web image, and overall how to be a Write the Worldarian...

...like a boss *dabs.*  Actually now that I write that it really doesn't sound right, does it?

Okay, ANYWAYS.

1.  GIVE YOURSELF A PROFILE PIC/BIO/MSG TO WRITERS.  This is fairly basic, but to those of you that intend to have a commitment to WtW, make sure you give yourself a bio, a profile photo, and a message to writers.  This distinguishes you from the sea of blank users with gray eyes as...

A Poll on What WTW Feature You'd Like to See (PLEASE READ) (WE'RE GOING TO START A PETITION)

Like everything, WTW has its faults and things that could be approved upon.  A couple of months ago, WTW itself published a prompt asking writers what new features they'd like to see.  While this was definitely a call to action, RainAndSonder and I felt the need to have a greater force for improvement.  We would like to propose a petition to WTW, which will be a piece published later under this account.  Everyone who agrees with the idea will comment their name to the piece, and we will later send WTW a message with a link to the piece.  Of course, there's no guarantee it will work, but it's always good to try.
    There are lots of ideas floating around for what WTW could do better.  We looked at the most popular suggestions.  We now give you a chance to vote on what you'd like the petition to be.  Please comment your favorite of these three...

How to Enter a Contest Like a Boss *dabs a third time*

What with all of the competitions floating around---the WtW personal narrative competition and speech competition, as well as user-hosted contests like Araw's, books and beaches', Paperbird's, Ellie O'Grady's, etc., I figured it would be a good idea to give some tips on how to enter a contest...

...like a boss *dabs*.

Obviously tips on writing for a contest would be more open-ended than tips on commenting or reviewing, which we've done before.  However, I think there are a few good general guidelines to give in this area.

These guidelines are only really helpful for user-hosted contests.  They don't make much sense for official WTW competitions, as those have many more entries.

Here goes:

1. THE MAYBE SLIGHTLY CHEATY METHOD... Look for and enter the least popular contests out there, to give yourself best odds.  Type in the keyword "contest" or "competition" to find all of the latest competitions.  I would avoid searching "#" or...

NEW PROMPT! 6 Things That Describe You #6things

Today's prompt is simple: list six random activities that describe your personality and spirit.  You could include more adventurous endeavors, or everyday things like drinking tea.  If you'd like, include explanations as to why this describes you.
    Include #6things in the title, so that we can read and like your work.  If you do this prompt later than most, tell us in the comments so we can be sure to look for it.
    We look forward to hearing your six activities!

NEW PROMPT! An Ode to Your Favorite Author

The prompt for today, writers, is fairly simple.  Write an ode (poem) to the author of your favorite book or book series.  You might choose a well-known fandom writer, like J.K. Rowling, Rick Riordan, Suzanne Collins, J.R.R. Tolkien, or Veronica Roth; a classic writer, like John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, or Mark Twain; or a lesser worshipped author.  It’s completely up to you.  Or, if you’re not sure, write an ode to literature in general, and include a few famous names.
If you do write an ode to your favorite author, include your favorite moments from the book(s) that they wrote, what makes them colorful, and why the text is memorable.

Make your piece around 75-100 words, but you can go over or under.

Be sure to title your piece with #odetomyauthor.  If you do, we will read and like your work.  If we have enough pieces published under this prompt, we will make a best of compilation in a few...

Hey Everyone (IMPORTANT)

Sorry that we haven't been active for a while, but I've got an idea.

I'm sure you've all noticed that we're very bad with keeping track of reviewing assignments, and there have been many, many weeks that we've skipped. The thing is that organizing the reviewing assignments is extremely hard. First you have to pair everyone up, then look at everyone's preferences, then find pieces for everyone to review, and then when you actually send them out you have to keep track of who's done and who's not. This was simple at first, but now the club has--- I don't even know, about seventy-five members? That's a lot of people and a lot of assignments to keep track of.

The obvious solution here would be to get rid of the assignments, but then one of the major benefits and features of this club would be taken away. I feel like reviewing assignments help give everyone experience with reviewing and help...

New Prompt! Favorite Songs

As some of you may have noticed, Paperbird and I (RainAndSonder) both recently published pieces listing our top ten favorite songs from some of our favorite bands (well, she did ten; I did fifteen), and now we challenge you to do the same! It's simple: pick one of your favorite bands/singer-songwriters and list your favorite songs by them, the songs that someone that wants to listen to their music but doesn't know where to start should hear, the most underrated/not well-known songs by them if they're really famous, or something like that. 

If you need some examples, you can find Paperbird's list here (she did her top ten favorite Beatles songs), mine here (I did my fifteen favorite Fall Out Boy songs), and Catlover's list here (she didn't know about this, but her list of ten great Twenty One Pilots songs seemed so fitting for this that I decided to include it).

We will read, like, and possibly comment on...

New Prompt! Favorite Songs

Club Newsletter - Week Four

It appears we've forgotten a newsletter again... sorry about that.

A quick note.  RainAndSonder is usually the one who does the newsletters and reviewing assignments, but right now they are in Yosemite Falls without their laptop.  They asked me (Paperbird) to write the club newsletter, but I should also tell you guys that there won't be any reviewing assignments this week for this reason!  This is completely temporary, and RAS will be back soon.  I hope you can understand.

WHAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK

This week was kind of quiet because only half of CWC was posting for most of it.  However, I did publish two prompts, #missingavowel and #odetomyauthor.  I did also manage to get out a tip on reviewing.  Utilize those highlights!
Again, we won't have reviewing assignments for the coming week.

WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT

More activity, for sure.  With RAS gone we haven't been posting as much, but soon we'll be back up...

How to Review Like a Boss *dabs again*

Reviewing others' work and giving helpful feedback is essential to any writing community.  And we are obviously a small writing community of our own, and we like any writer have a responsibility to read and respond and help using our own talent and intellect.  But sometimes... well, let's look at the Exhibits that I have handily procured for these purposes.

EXHIBIT A, WEARINESS
I have read the piece the entire way through and my eyes are blistering with the loveliness.  I love it to death, but there are a few things that need tweaking or that could be done better.  My eyes are boring into the page.  My mouse finds the "Write Review" button and I smash my mouse so hard that each of my fingers break.  I slam my pointer into the text, ready to make some highlights.  But the thing is I'm just so tired.  Surely, with this lovely piece, a simple like and comment would do...

EXHIBIT...

Reviewing Assignments- Week Three

NEWCOMERS: READ FOOTNOTES

There were a considerable amount of people that either didn't do the reviewing assignments last week or forgot to let us know they were done, so if you don't see your name on this list, that's probably why. Simply complete the assignment or let us know that you're done and we'll try to give you a piece to review.

Hibasaurus- Who Watches Over the Heroes? By Kate T
Kate T- Fate Chapter 1 by hibasaurus
Omicron7889- Progression by Anha
Anha- Wrenching Spanners by omicron7889
Crescent- a poem by Surly Wombat
Surly Wombat- Midnight Song by Crescent
Xen- Drive Like You Stole It by Your Local Flynn
Your Local Flynn- do you see the wind riders? By xen
Johanna- No Safe Haven by Clarianogirl
Clarianogirl- Angel by Johanna
Stormguard798- I won't remember what has been forgotten by _TJNR@cheshire_
_TJNR@cheshire_- Fall by stormguard798
Lianhabanana!- Sounds Assail Me by Luna Lemon
Luna Lemon- 12 by lianhabanana!
Kaydenblue- Body of Water...

NEW PROMPT - Missing a Vowel

My latest challenge for you is not easy.  Pick any vowel (besides “y”) and write a piece that does not feature the vowel anywhere in it.  I have attempted this a while ago and believe me, it’s HARD.  If you’re looking for an easier challenge, you might decide to exclude “u.”  If you’re a real daredevil, try writing an entire piece without the letter “e.”  
The piece should be 100–150 words (you can go a little over if you want to, but make it somewhere around there).  Be sure to include the hashtag #missingavowel in your piece.  If you do, your piece will be read and liked by us.
If we have enough pieces under this prompt, we will make a “best of” compilation sometime later this week.
Happy writing!

NEW PROMPT - Missing a Vowel

Happy writing!

CWC Random Q&A Prompt

As probably a lot of you saw with last week’s Foxmillionaire’s 25 Question Q&A (which I cannot seem to find at the moment to make a link, but I suggest you check it out), such activities have been flying around the site recently.  I hereby introduce to you CWC’s random Q&A prompt.  It’s simple: answer the completely random ten questions below in a piece titled #cwcrandomq&a.  We will read and like everything published under this prompt.

1. What TV show did you watch as a kid (e.g. were you a My Little Pony type, a Phineas and Ferb type, etc.)

2. Should pineapple be on pizza? 

3. If there must be a word limit on a prompt/contest, what is your favorite length to write?

4. Why is your username what it is?

5. What are your tastes in YouTube videos (if any)?

6. This is a moral dilemma: There is a boy band that you don’t particularly like.  Either you...

Reviewing Assignments- Week Two

NEWCOMERS: READ FOOTNOTES

Yes, it's Monday, and you know what that means: reviewing assignments. So here they are:

Onion3102 - Be Still by stripedfly1001
Stripedfly1001 - 15 word stories- #9 by Onion3102
Cctolles- Sonnet of Fear by Michelle20
Michelle20- Below the Sea by cctolles
Katherine McCarthy- Friend or Foe by nevaredhp
Nevaredhp- #rswisdomcontest by Katherine McCarthy
Iamsofieemerson- Colorblind by LyraLynne
LyraLynne- Purpose by iamsofieemerson
Your Local Flynn- Sky by ollieollie
Ollieollie- Assembly by Your Local Flynn
Annie_cheng- Laughing by Ellie O'Grady
Ellie O'Grady- #LifeLemons Prompt by annie_cheng
Lauren Nelson- I Think About You by JediKnightGirl
JediKnightGirl- Girls/Boys by Lauren Nelson
Lee Fudge- Look Back by Luna Lemon
Ancientvoices- The Book of Agnesian Mythology: Story One (Part One) by Lee Fudge
UNC Angel- mania by she's-got-a-story
She's-got-a-story- How Someone Else Sees Me by UNC Angel
Nonny2101- Christopher Crow by Catlover
Catlover- #15wordstories by Nonny2101
ChairsRAwesome- Stardust by rosemarywisdom
Rosemarywisdom- 15 Word Story by ChairsRAwesome
Kahasai- Lonely Lover Pt 1 by Anha ...

Club Newsletter!- Week Two

Yes, we have made it to the end of the second week. I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll keep this short.

What Happened This Week

We reached sixty-one members! Welcome to everyone that joined.

Sadly, there were no reviewing assignments this week as RainAndSonder, who is writing this and handles the assignments, wasn't feeling well. Rest assured, they will be coming next week! We already have them all worked out. Other than that? Well, we published some writing and commenting tips, a few new prompts (including the Boggart Prompt and the Wish I Felt Prompt), and we searched for beta readers and novel writers in the piece titled (what a surprise) CALLING ALL BETA READERS AND WRITERS! If you are looking for a new series to read on WtW or simply want to help other writers, or are currently posting a series, please go check it out. It's brand new and still being developed,...

NEW PROMPT! Boggart

In the Harry Potter series, one's greatest fear is represented through the form of a Boggart---a common monster that can be found looming in dark corners.  The Boggart is very difficult to beat because it always knows the perfect weapon---what will frighten you most.  For some people, the Boggart takes on the form of a giant scorpion or spider.  Others will see the corpses of their family and friends.  If Lord Voldemort were to look at a Boggart, he would see his own lifeless form.
    Whether or not you've read the series, Boggarts are present in everyone's minds.  It is a terrifying idea: there is one thing, above all, that will frighten me most, that will render me to panic and think illogically.

Today, writers, I ask you: what is your Boggart?  Are you terrified of small insects, or is your fear more abstract?  In a new piece, tell us about this personal horror, and the...

#cwcfirstcontest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

As I hope you are aware, we opened Corner Writing Club’s very first contest on September 13th.  The deadline for the competition was yesterday.  We got seventeen total entries and I first want to praise you all on excellent performances.  It was insanely hard to choose just two people from all of that amazing writing.

FIRST PLACE
Kenny - #cwcfirstcontest
I chose this piece for first place for a variety of reasons, but first and foremost for its humor.  Its spin on the initial prompt made me laugh out loud, for it was both completely ridiculous and true-to-life.  If you haven’t read this amazing piece, I highly suggest you check it out.  The introduction and the word choice is top notch, and it all wraps in a beautifully hilarious way.  This is a well-deserved first place.
The user, Kenny, will receive prizes listed in an earlier piece—a shoutout from RainAndSonder or Paperbird (in this case, it’s Paperbird), and four detailed...

CWC Contest

Today was the deadline for the #cwcfirstcontest.  Anything submitted after this time will not be considered.  We will reveal the winners tomorrow.  Best of luck!

CALLING ALL BETA READERS AND NOVEL WRITERS!

Writers: have you started posting chapters to a novel or story with multiple parts, but gotten so little feedback that you're hesitant to continue? Or maybe your novel is going well, but you simply need more and more helpful feedback. Whatever it is, this is the place to look!

Readers: do you want to show your support of lengthier pieces and novels on this website? Do you want to help writers and give them your reactions and feedback to their work? Are you simply bored? Perfect! This is a great place for you.

This is how it will work: if you are interested in beta reading, simply fill out the form in a comment below! If you're a writer, fill out the form for writers! Don't worry, it's not long or overly complicated.

Being a beta reader will notoblige you to read every single novel on this site or overwork you. We're simply making an effort to connect novel...

Quick Thing

Hey everyone, I'm sick today and I really don't feel in the mood to organize the reviewing assignments, so they'll be a little late, but I'll try to get them to you tomorrow. Just thought I'd let everyone know. Also, we have a few new members that joined after I had paired everyone up, so they won't be getting assignments until next week (not their fault, just bad luck). Sorry!

NEW PROMPT! "I wish I felt this way"

Yes, another writing prompt! I know we're doing a lot of stuff, what with the contest and other prompts and whatnot, but I got inspiration for this and I just had to make a prompt out of it.

You know when you see one of those "relatable" posts or memes, but you honestly can't relate to it at all, but you sort of wish you did so you could understand what they were talking about? Or when you have a shared experience with other people and they're all talking about how scared/emotional/angry/sad they were about it, but you just didn't feel that way at all? Think back to a time, any time at all, when everyone else felt a certain way, whether it was about an event, a relatable thing, a fandom thing, or something else altogether, but you didn't, and you wanted to feel that way too. It's in our instincts to want to fit in, to want to...

FIRST CONTEST! Flash fiction - #cwcfirstcontest

This club has done three prompts so far and all have received a lot of attention, so I figured it's time we started our first contest!
This is intended to be a flash fiction contest with a predetermined word count (listed below).  We would prefer paragraphs over poems.  The piece should tell a story and include a basic plot.  Start your piece with one of these sentences (the beginnings are part of your word count):
"It was, historically, the day everyone died." (7 words)
"We somehow performed a miracle and made everything go downhill synonymously." (11 words)
"In second grade we learned what humans were/are." (8 words)
The winner and runner-up will be featured in a later piece, along with links to everyone's lovely work.

NUMBER OF WORDS:
70-90

DEADLINE:
September 20
(also, RainAndSonder's birthday is 9/18, be sure to bombard them with comments!)

PRIZE:
Winner: 4 detailed peer reviews on the pieces of your choice + piece-long shoutout from...

How to Comment Like a Boss *dabs*

This is a scenario that has happened to me countless times, and, I imagine, to most everyone on this site. Unless you're great at giving feedback and always seem to know what to say about a piece *cough* Luna Lemon *cough*, you've found yourself in the situation where you've just read a fantastic piece. You've read it all the way through, maybe given it a like, but you want to comment something to let the writer know what a great job they did. You're sitting there, your fingers at the keyboard...

...and nothing.

Your brain is empty. You have no ideas for what you could comment on.

So today I'm going to be throwing out some tips and ideas for responding to a piece... like a boss *dabs*.

First, a quick note. Comments don't have to be long to be helpful or encouraging. If you write an essay comment where you just ramble on and on about nothing, that's just...

Writing Tip #1 - Filler Words

As someone who does a lot of reviewing and critiquing, this is something I've noticed a lot in writing, so I've decided that for this club's first writing tip, we'll be talking about filler words.

What are filler words?
Filler words are... well, they're hard to explain, but when I get to examples you'll see what I mean. Filler words are words that clog your writing and obstruct the reader's experience with your writing. Most of the time, they will make your writing a lot weaker and should be removed.

But what exactly are filler words?
Here's a sentence that uses a filler word:
"She saw the sun rising over the hill, painting the valley a gorgeous gold color."
See what I mean? Here I'm not showing you what's happening, I'm telling you what the main character saw was happening. It's subtle but important. Here's a list of filler words:
- she saw
- she heard
- she felt
-...

NEW PROMPT! "You are a bucket."

NEW PROMPT!
Write a total of 25 words (no more, no less) that begins with the simple phrase, "You are a bucket."  Give us context, and the reason this sentence makes sense with your story.  Make it short and sweet.
Be sure to include the hashtag #cwcbucketprompt in your title.  If you do, we will read, like, and comment on your work.  
If we have enough entries, we will publish a piece later of the best of this prompt, with links to all of your lovely pieces.
Happy writing!

#songtitlepoem prompt -- Overview + Best of

Firstly, we were amazed when our song title prompt got eleven likes and fourteen total entries!  We thank you endlessly for your constant support.

Most of the pieces for this prompt had at least three likes, and of course the first "best of" mention we should give is omicron7889's Smooth Criminal, which had the most of all---eight likes in total.  A very clever take on the Michael Jackson song and a pleasure to read.  You should definitely check it out.

Next we should mention elisa's white tiger, which was not only a completely different take on the title of the song, but also incredibly beautiful and personal, another must-read from a really talented writer.

Lastly, R.j.Elsewhere's Put Your Head On My Shoulder made for an interesting and meaningful read, not only describing a romantic experience but speculating about it as well.  Again, you should really check these things out!

I should also mention everyone else to contributed to...

Reviewing Assignments- Week One

(For those that don't know what this is, Corner Writing Club is a new user-hosted club that helps writers receive more feedback on their work and you can learn more about it here.)

Hello, everyone! First week of reviewing assignments! Let's see how it goes.

Before we begin, you may be wondering, what are reviewing assignments? How do these work? It's simple! Each week, we assign each member a piece of another member to review. The pieces are selected based off what you told us in the form and what we've asked you. Keep in mind that we try to listen to everyone, but there are a lot of members and you may not have gotten a piece that's from your favorite genre.

So what do you do? Simple! You find your name in the list below, and then search up the piece that you're going to review in the searchbar. We'll give you a week to write...

Reviewing Assignments- Week One

So what do you do? Simple! You find your name in the list below, and then search up the piece that you're going to review in the searchbar. We'll give you a week to write the...

NEW PROMPT! #songtitlepoem

CWC Prompt #2:

Choose one of your favorite songs and make it the title of a poem.  The poem can be any length.  You can have a completely different feel and theme to your poem than the song does; feel free to interpret this however you like.
In the title, also include the hashtag songtitlepoem along with the title of the song.  Example: “Let It Be #songtitlepoem”.
Happy writing!

First Week of the Club!- Newsletter

(For those that don't know what this is, Corner Writing Club is a brand-new user-hosted club that helps writers receive more feedback on their writing. You can learn more about it here.)

Hello, everyone! This was an idea suggested by Stripedfly1001, so thanks to them for giving us that! Anyway, what this is is a sort of newsletter that looks back on the week. So let's get into it.

Honestly, Paperbird and I were surprised by how many people joined in just the first day! As of right now, we have thirty-five members, not counting ourselves, of course. The club is off to a fantastic start, and I'm really looking forward to what will be coming next.

What Happened This Week

First of all, on Wednesday, we announced our club for the very first time, and immediately received tons of support! Later that day, we published the Rules and Form, and gained even more members (if you...

A Few Important Things

(If you don't know what this is, Corner Writing Club is a brand-new user-hosted club that helps writers receive more feedback on their writing. You can learn more about it and how to join here.) 

Hello, everyone! As we reach the end of the first week of the club, I have some questions for you guys.

The first point is that the first reviewing assignments will be assigned on Monday. We'll be choosing the pieces that will be reviewed by other members randomly, unless there's a specific piece that you want to be reviewed. If so, make sure to tell us in the comments! We can't read your mind (most of the time, anyway)!

The second question is if anyone has any suggestions for features of the club. Really, just throw any ideas you have out there. Not that we have a shortage of ideas, quite the opposite, in fact, but we want to hear from the members, and...

A Few Important Things

WRITING PROMPT! "When life gives you lemons..."

NEW PROMPT!

We have all heard the phrase, "When life gives you lemons, squeeze them into lemonade," an inspiring and slightly dull quote.  I ask you, writers, to spice up this saying!  Start your piece with the phrase "When life gives you lemons" and tell us what exactly to do with these fruits.  Include "#LifeLemonsPrompt" in the title to be read and liked by us, or leave your writing in the comments!  If we have enough contributions, we will make a compilation of them later with some of our thoughts.  
Happy writing!

First Game of the Club!

(If you don't know what this club is, Corner Writing Club is a brand new user-hosted club on WtW that helps writers get more feedback on their writing, and you can find out more about it here)

Hello everyone! I'm honestly really surprised by the amount of members we're getting, but I'm also excited, because this club is something I've been planning for a long time and now that it's actually here and working... it's just fantastic.

Anyway, this is the first game of the club, and the first real activity we'll have. Non-members are welcome to join in! This is a game that I'm sure everyone has played before or knows, and it works like this:

I'll give you a sentence. For example, "The boy went to the grocery store". Then the first person to read this will add onto that by one line in the comments, so they could comment "Unfortunately, he got separated from his mom."...

Need Feedback on Your Writing? JOIN THIS CLUB! How it Works

Hey everyone! For those that don't know, Corner Writing Club is a brand new unofficial club on Write the World started by RainAndSonder (me) and Paperbird. It will help you receive reviews and feedback on your work, as well as help you critique the work of others. But that's not all! There are many more cool features. To learn about those and join the club, go here

For those that are already part of the club, this is how it works!

Not all the details have been worked out, of course, but here's what we know so far:

Contests- these will work just as any other user-hosted contest would. We will announce the contest, make sure all members know about it, set a due date, and then everyone can enter! The difference, however, is that we will write reviews of all entries, and encourage fellow contestants to help each other out. The prizes will vary from contest to contest.
...

Need Feedback on Your Writing? JOIN THIS CLUB! Rules and Form

Have you ever worked for hours on a piece, poured your soul into it, and then gotten no to little feedback on it? Do you ever want to give feedback on a fantastic piece, but have no idea how to phrase it, or what exactly you should say? Do you want to get more involved in the Write the World community, to gain more exposure to you and your writing and help others, but have no idea how? This club is just the thing for you.
    Corner Writing Club is a new club hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird (this is RainAndSonder writing this) where you can receive and give feedback on writing. Features include:
- games/challenges!
- prompts!
- contests!
- reviewing assignments!
- beta readers and editors!
- and more!
    Have I got your attention? Are you interested in joining? Simple. Follow this account (not because we want more followers or anything, just...

Are You Interested In Getting More Prompts And Receiving More Feedback? Writing Club Now Open!

Corner Writing Club is the perfect place for anyone looking for feedback and a chance to contribute to a writing society. Join this inclusive group simply by following our profile, and join a chain of writers who give and receive feedback. This club is hosted by RainAndSonder and Paperbird and supported by all of you! We publish updates every few days. 
Some features this club offers are: 
- weekly reviewing assignments 
- games/challenges 
- prompts 
- contests 
- featured pieces/writers 
- and more!

This idea was originally suggested in RainAndSonder's piece, "Idea I have: Club??? (Please Read)" which was thoroughly supported.  We have now created a profile which will only publish updates for our club.  Become a part of our competitions and reviewing assignments simply by following (we will follow you back), and you're counted in!
We look forward to hearing your feedback, and hope you consider joining Corner Writing Club!