Jesus E Soltero

Book Review Competition 2019

Black Klansman

Black Klansman
A reflection of a memoir

My first exposure of the black Klansman was when I was scrolling through YouTube, and found the movie trailer, though I didn’t know at the time that it was based on a true story. I simply disregarded it as a comedy, of a regular black man who somehow accidentally joins the KKK, and hilarious hijinks ensues. I kept this perspective when I, needing a book to write a book review for the Write the World prompt, noticed autographed copies of “Black Klansman” in my local Barnes & Noble, and decided to review it. I still didn’t realize what the phrase “a memoir” on the center left in the cover meant, and I became completely perplexed on why the author “Ron Stallworth” put himself as the protagonist when he himself started answering the ad to the KKK like in some fanfiction. That’s when I finally realized, that the book was an autobiography,...

Book Review Competition 2019

Black Klansman

Black Klansman
A reflection of a memoir

Film Review Competition 2019

Casual Informal Review-The Mule

Casual informal review: The Mule (The 2018 one)

Narrator: The Mule (2018) with Clint Eastwood is a remake of the 2014 film, also called The Mule starring Hugo Weaving, this is just the testament of how Hollywood is running out of ideas, and how anything could become a remake despite how recent the movie has released...

Editor: *Whispers*

Narrator: It’s not a remake? So, is it a reboot?

Editor: *Whispers*

Narrator: What how? But they are both called “The Mule.” Wouldn’t it be confusing if two separate films just shared the same name, that would be like a company other than Marvel naming their movie "The Avengers".

Editor: *Whispers*

Narrator: There’s a British spy T.V. show called “The Avengers”?!! whatever, I’m reviewing the 2018 Mule since it’s the only one I watched.

The Film stars Clint Eastwood, an ancient and classic star who serves as a living fossil of the western...

Film Review Competition 2019

Casual Informal Review-The Mule

Narrator: The Mule (2018) with Clint east wood is a remake of the 2014 film, also called The Mule starring Hugo Weaving, this is just the testament of how Hollywood is running out of ideas, and how anything would be reboot or remake despite how recent the movie is…

Editor: *Whispers*

Narrator: it’s not a remake? So, is it a reboot?

Editor: *Whispers*

Narrator: What how? But they are both called “The Mule”, wouldn’t that be confusing if two separate films just shared the same name, that be like if another film was named “The Avengers” not made from Marvel.

Editor: *Whispers*

The Film stars Clint Eastwood, an ancient and magnificent movie star who is such a historic artifact of...

My December Writing Competition 2018

a Different Tradition

Traditions, especially those within Christmas month, are always practiced sacredly each year in most families. It can be tradition to open one present before Christmas day, or watch a holiday movie in the family.  Though, my families’ tradition mostly remains the same since childhood, there are now irreplaceable components that I will never experience in my life again.
            Its these traditions that add vigor in our December. I mean why do we hang and decorate on our houses? put up Christmas  trees? make a dinner feast? go on present shopping sprees? why are we compelled to celebrate Christmas or other types of holidays in winter? the only given reason we all do these things, it’s just cause its traditional to do so. Not all family gatherings are entirely the same since we all practice different sets of traditions, leaving my family idea of celebrating different from others. My family yearly plans a getaway trip, to a little cabin...