purplpeanut

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) reviewed:

Cold

*instead of 'i'm going red in my right ear, ' maybe go , "i'm going red on the tops of my ears.'

1 day ago

Default avatar user icon
Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) started following Chikki Hernandez (Philippines)

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) published:

How to adult

PROMPT: The Subject that Matters

I don't want to learn about the Pythagorean theorem, or talk about the dinosaurs who died millions of years ago in science class. I want to learn about how to adult in real life, how to do taxes, how to cook and clean and sew, how to have safe sex and not have the only thing on the agenda be "Abstinence." I want to know how to buy a car, how to haggle, how to buy a house, how to...

Default avatar user icon
1

purplpeanut (United States) published:

Things I wish someone told me...a college student

PROMPT: Timeless Counsel

1) Don't be someone's rebound, especially if you have feelings for that person. It's going to hurt you more, especially when they drop you like a hat. 
2) It's okay not to have had your first kiss when you get to college. Or that first date. Or even be a virgin. 
3) Don't let anyone pressure you into anything whether it's dating this person you kinda know or losing your virginity. 
4) You CAN tell people to fuck off, especially...

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) published:

Opinionated

PROMPT: Your View

1. Pro-choice, because the government and men shouldn't tell a woman what to do with her own body, when they won't be paying the bills for her pregnancy. 

2. I'd rather have a transgender woman in the bathroom with me, than not at all. It's not as if I have to worry about her, doing things to me in the stalls, than I would a man who doesn't understand the meaning of the word, "no." 

3. Christians shouldn't focus on...

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) reviewed:

Why Not Live it Your Way?

PROMPT: On the Last Day of the World

I feel like you could add two more statements here, so it would be the right length, the right balance, and yet, it ends on such a beautiful note that there's really nothing I want you to change.

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) reviewed:

Mistakes were made

PROMPT: Birdcage and Buoy

Those last two sentences, perfect ending right there. The hardest thing to achieve, to wrap up a story and you've gone and done it right there. Absolutely love this story and can't wait to read what else you put on.

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) reviewed:

Medium

PROMPT: A Signature Capability

I loved it. It was beautiful, in a unique writing style that captivated vaguetivity and expressed it, created something new. If I could liken your style to an author I would have to say it was something like Anne McCaffery,...

Default avatar user icon

purplpeanut (United States) published:

[space]

PROMPT: 1 Photo, 20 Words

space, wondrous,
​shimmering, splendid,
new adventures,
​bright skies, stars,
NASA...
​...technology
advancements, clouds,
​science!, love,
humanity, creations,
felt so alive.

Default avatar user icon
Forest reflection wallpapers 10705 1280x800

purplpeanut (United States) started following bethanyyy (United States)

The Subject that Matters

How to adult

I don't want to learn about the Pythagorean theorem, or talk about the dinosaurs who died millions of years ago in science class. I want to learn about how to adult in real life, how to do taxes, how to cook and clean and sew, how to have safe sex and not have the only thing on the agenda be "Abstinence." I want to know how to buy a car, how to haggle, how to buy a house, how to rent a place, what are loans, what is the stock market, why is the adult world so complicated? 

Why should I have to learn about U.S. History when we've practically covered the same damn thing since seventh grade? Why should I have to spend my time in English in High School, when I already fluently speak the language? Why was french, and spanish and german the only languages offered? Why wasn't something like russian, japanese, chinese, korean, arabic, the languages...

Timeless Counsel

4) You CAN tell people to fuck off, especially if they're just being a toxic person towards you. 
5) If you go to a party, NEVER leave your drink unattended. While this hasn't happened to me, it's happened to friends. 
6) Have a designated driver. always have a backup friend you can call in case your designated driver decides to get drunk. 
7) Start looking for a job six months before you're about to graduate. It'll save you YEARS of frustration. 
8) Workout. Even when you have no time....

Your View

Opinionated

3. Christians shouldn't focus on trying to "convert" others over to their religion. It's rude, obnoxious, and respect is something every human being should learn. 

4. Instead of putting the blame on the victims for the rape, such as "well, what were you wearing?" or "you must have been doing something to make him rape you," why don't we put the blame on  the person who actually did it, the rapist? He was the one who ignored someone screaming no at him, he was the...

1 Photo, 20 Words

[space]

space, wondrous,
​shimmering, splendid,
new adventures,
​bright skies, stars,
NASA...
​...technology
advancements, clouds,
​science!, love,
humanity, creations,
felt so alive.

Final Note

Merlin

He walked the endless road on the busy highway, glancing at the island, whose stories were long since forgotten in mist and time. He was a bitter old man, upset at what he could have done in order to prevent his great downfall. Even as the bus passed, he paused to take a look at the island. Even though the world had done much changing in a thousand years' time, the island was still the same as it was, when he had set him in the boat and sent him off with the final farewell.

​Merlin shook his head. Dreams and memories of Kilgharrah and Gaius, a sword, Camelot red, but that which shown through the most was Arthur, with his golden hair. They were two sides of the same coin, pen and sword, magic and bravery, servant and king. He started walking again.

​But instead of going where he was going to go, the pull of his magic pulled...

Universal Knowledge

kNoW

For all can understand this ancient tongue, and reply back with it with a various array, of emotions and laughter.

Letter Writing Competition

Dear John

Dear John,

How's it going? God, it feels forever since I've had a decent conversation with you. We weren't best friends in high school at all, but we got on just the same. And when we left high school, well I went to college straight away and you...you went into the army. And I'm so proud of you, we all are. You've found your little niche and you couldn't be happier. But...well...you've been posting things on facebook. A lot of things about likes and loves, and girls, and girlfriends, even though you don't have one right now. And since that whole thing went with Sara and how you were second choice and you always asked why I was asking about it, well, how do I put it?

​I like you. Like I like you a lot. And I was jealous, dude. Jealous of Sara, how she could call you Johnny and how she was the only one who could get...

Letter Writing Competition

Dear John

Dear John,

Invisible Cities

Moria

Moria:

​The city of those who've died before their time in the most gruesome and disturbing ways. The sky is a demon red, and the buildings are shards, ghosts of themselves. Where people really live is below ground, in a series of networks that one could say almost reminded them of the catacombs. There are bones down there, that line the walls, each with a nameplate and dates, and every single resident looks at their bodies, to remind themselves what has happened. Here is where people go, what is like Traverse Town, a rest stop before people can make peace with what happened and move to Raverna, the city of the dead.

​People here were soldiers who fought in wars, who were held by comrades who begged them to come back, to stay with them, who watched their light fade from their eyes. They were children caught by the bombs that fell, or the gas. Girls who were raped and...

One Sentence Story

War

Smoke, Gas, blood, screaming, my brother's dead.

Collected Wisdom

advice for writers and I

"Write that which you do not know. That is the only way you will get better. It might be uncomfortable, and you might not condone what you've written or what your characters are doing, but in the end it will expand your horizons. You might not agree with what you've written, for example your character is a republican and you're a democrat, but you're learning to write anything, which is what the world is."

​"If you don't know how to write something, ask. If you don't know how to write an LGBTQ character because you don't know what challenges they might face in their lives, ask a friend. They may/may not share their experiences but anything they do share, you can start to figure out what challenges they face, and craft it into something your character can use. Always ask permission if you're gonna use something, that they might not be comfortable with, for example, basing your character on them,...

Open Prompt

Sean O'Farrell

Can You tell me Sean O'Farrell,
​What's the Irish Fighting Tune,
​Because it seems you're full of wisdom
At the Rising of the Moon,

​You led them into battle,
​To get them ready quick and soon
​To put on all their weapons
by the rising of the moon

​You all fought for poor old Ireland, In 1798,
For a rebellion, you didn't know, what'd be your fate,
But you told them to march forward,
​By the Old Irish Fighting Tune,
Because you'd be together
​Durin' the risin' of the moon.

​Oh then Tell me Sean O'Farrell,
What kind of lad are you?
For your name to be delivered
In a song younger than you,
Even though you lost the battle,
Or so the story goes,
​You will follow in their footsteps,
And then again revolt.

​By the Rising of the Moon,
​By the Rising of the Moon,
​You will follow in their footsteps,
By the Rising of the Moon.

Twenty-Six Sentences

The Blacksmith's Daughter

A church stood on a hill.
​Baraby Bay it was known, and the Irish and the Scottish flocked to it.
​Calm and peaceful it was, known for many a tale and story, such as this one I now tell you.
Down underneath it was a village, and there lived a blacksmith.
​Evie was the name of the blacksmith's daughter.
For they all flocked there, men with a bite of steel, and a heart of song.
​Gwaine, my good man, we have come to court your daughter.
​He shakes his head, "She is not for sale, nor trade."
I wish, says she, for to be wed to my own soldier boy.
​Just like he wishes to be wed to you, says the land.
​Kill the soldier boy, says the prince who wishes for her hand.
​Leave, says Bess, to save her soldier boy from a ruthless death.
​May it was the month, that her soldier boy fell to his death, stabbed...

10 Second Essays

10 seconds

I would rather believe the lie, than see the truth.

Because you are a beautiful lie, and I am a painful truth.

Nothing is sacred.

​It is not the good times that lets you grow and learn from it, but the pain, the betrayal, and the heartache.

Dear Me

Dear Me

Dear Me,

​I suppose you're wondering why I'm writing this to you. I know someday in the future you'll pick me up and read this, and wonder why you wrote me in the first place. Well future self, I wanted to tell you some important things so that you don't forget, no matter what path you happen to stumble down in the end.

​First, I want to tell you that you are indeed beautiful. It doesn't matter that you don't look like the rest of the girls, with their natural white-blond hair, or the fact that they wear so much makeup that they're putting on a mask. And no, I'm not putting them down to just raise you up. Those girls are beautiful, just in a different way. You. Are. Also.  Beautiful. So beautiful. So what if you don't wear makeup? That doesn't define who you are. The way you see the good in people, the way you are funny and...

All in a Name

Not a name

Name's were never the sweetest sound in any language. It was what followed that was. Laughter. Hearing your name said in someone's mouth, was the best thing. It could be intimate, it could be a reprimand.   It was how the person's voice used it. Whether it was soft, or sweet. Whether it was harsh, and unyielding. but whatever the case, when your voice was paired with the sound of a person's laughter, it was the best thing in the world. You could feel the joy rushing through your chest, as a sound in your own throat pushes out, because really, what was the sweetest sound in any language? It was your name followed by the sound of laughter.

Friendship Narrative Competition

Summer Dreams

I met him over the summer. I had been within the so called family of lifeguards for little over a month now. But the month had seemed like a year, because in one year we only had three months with each other if we were lucky. And three months passed by awfully fast. Mike, one of our good friends, had already left, saying that he couldn't handle the job that was thrust upon him. All of us were shocked when he left, but none of us really thought it was his fault.    By the time July rolled around we were all as tight knit as possible. We had our hates, and dislikes, we laughed when ever someone fell into the lake off the rescue board when they were trying to get back from the raft, and we had our family get togethers. There were arguments over who got to eat the last of the Foxbrook Hot dogs, or why...

Headline

Hook, Line, and Sinker

I never knew it, but my clock was counting down to meeting him...
  Come on, see the world? Why, when it's all going to hell?    

Writing Resolution

What can I do?

What's mine?
What do I wish to produce? I wonder. Will I be able to write that novel, that I have been so close yet so far from doing? Swallowing my pride, and making a plot line in order to write 50,000 words? I prefer free writing after all. Can I start at the end, and work my way to the beginning? This is writing, there is no strict discipline here. However, we sweat, we bleed, and we cry, to produce what we call a 'masterpiece.' What if I wish to write spare fragments in my free time? Can I do that? Of course I can, no one can tell me I can't. I am not breaking any rules, only the limitations of what my mind thinks it can do. Even better, I will shove creativity down it's throat and call it a muse. But do written words get anywhere? does anybody hear them?   That is my biggest resolution...

Questions for a Favorite

Harry potter-To one dear Draco Malfoy

How did you decide what to do, when there was no black and white but only gray areas, how did you decide which choice was right?  You were trying to protect your family, tell me if there was no family and just you what side would you have chosen in the end? You and Harry are like two sides of the same coin, what do you think of that and why? Is there a way to remove that dark mark from the dark time of your life, or do you just carry on? How do you carry on when everything you've known has been burned to the ground inside of you?   Last words- thank you for your time. For you were the character that has inspired me so much.

Returning

Heart and Home

I came back from the bombs and the explosions and the dust of sand that entered my lungs. I came back from the screams of wounded comrades, where red against the white sand was my reality and camo was the very thing I wore everyday. I came back to a world where it seems, that it has simply filled my place up with another, and that I don't belong here anymore. But I promised that I would return.
  It's a large city is what it is. It's like a labyrith with it's endless streets and districts, where the good and bad combine. There are folks here of every culture, of every skin color and I like it, for it's these days that everybody accepts me for who I am. I'm not a G.I. Joe no more, I'm back in another skin, another walk of life, and I try to relish these days, when I got about a thousand hugs from...

On the Last Day of the World

Last Day of the World

On the last day of the world I would travel.   I would see the sights, and meet the people.   On the last day of the world, I would get together.   Spend the day with friends, laughing and crying.   On the last day of the world, I would kiss a lover.   Talk about the future, And seal it with a kiss.   On the last day of the world, I would meet my family.   Learn a new language, So that I could speak with it.   On the last day of the world, I would find my people.   My family, my lover, my siblings, my friends.   On the last day of the world, We'd be all together,   We'd all fall asleep, As the Last Day ends.   We'd all dream of adventure, And tomorrows that would never come.   But we'd be together, from this moment on.   On the last day...

My December

Once Upon a December

December is when the snow falls to the ground. It's when the leaves fall first, littering the ground with reds, and oranges, and yellows, before casting everything in a ground of white. It's when my people, finally change out the t-shirts and shorts, for jeans and long sleeves, for sweatshirts, and sweaters. It's when we start to nest, toss extra blankets across the bed, in hopes it will keep us warm for the winter.   December means doing things with snow. With white fluffy, and hard packing, with snow angels and snow men and snow balls, and if we happen to pack extra bits of ice and gravel into the snowballs, enough to make them hurt if hit, then it just raises the stakes a little. It means snow boarding, and learning how to, and how you learn that snow can hurt if you fall on it, or ice. But you get back up again and that's what matters.  ...

O’Clock

Time is not on thou side

Wilt thou wonder on heavens tears?
When everything seems a'missed?
Like streetlights on heavy raine'd afternoons, 
When thou read from heavy books,
Painted with words of artists' hand, 
He who so masterfully created, masterpieces, that thee of thy world reads for ever after,
Such pieces so carefully crafted, with ink and pen, page and paper,
Of dear Hamlet, he who holds a skull and speaks to friend not foe,
Of dear MacBeth, for he who killed his king for right of power,
For dear Romeo and juliet, the star crossed lover fools who unite
For his other characters, deemed not as worthy, but contributing still
Of book smart Horatio, dreamy laughter of Mercutio, brave but bold Benvolio?
He who gave us these stories, these plays, that have sunk into our very knowledge, 
our very essence, he who is now gone, though his stories live on for ever after,
can we not acknowledge his brains?
For a stitch is placed in...

O’Clock

Time is not on thou side

Wilt thou wonder on the sheer lack of time?
When everything seems a'missed?
When thou read from heavy books,
Painted with words of artists' hand, 
For his other characters, deemed not as worthy, but still contributing
can we not acknowledge his brains?
For a stitch...

Ripple Effect

Tell

The animals are fading from the sea. Choked from plastic, killed from oil, endangered from hunting. They are the ones that make our world the amazing, unknown that it truly is. From the kraken (giant squid) to the unicorn (wild horse), we have legends that have been told through time thanks to these amazing creatures. Do you really want those to dissapear?

Novel Writing Competition - Nov '16

Wings

I always thought wings were the windows to the soul. They were never eyes. Every person has wings, from every shape to every size. They could be angel wings, or slick like a fairy, they could be a hummingbird, or built of fire. It doesn't seem to matter. Some have only one wing, lost from a trauma, or something that had gone horribly wrong. And some who once had them, don't anymore. And then there are those born with no wings. I don't know why. It just is. This isn't a box you're trying to shove people into after all. The wings told of what a person was, and what they would become. For wings, were the very fate you were trying to run from.

When I first saw wings, I was young. Only eight or nine, old enough to know something was wrong, but not old enough to know what or even to understand. When papa and momma were yelling at each other...

Collective Voice

Street Rats

We are the people who others look down at. We live on the streets, and beg for food, money anything to help us. People yell at us, spit at us, ask us why don't we get a job? The answer? We can't find one. It is often said that those who have many give none, and those that have a few, give lots, and what I say is true. Another one of us will share food with all, whereas a rich person won't even stoop to put a five dollar bill in the tin can. And people ask how we end up here. Lot's of us, are soldiers, who had served the country. The country can't begin to serve and help them though, they now lie on the streets in cardboard boxes and wish for better times, and food, and family and laughter, instead of this desolate life. But all of us, we all have our pride. We would rather...

Ten Words to You

Summer breeze

Harsh winter
cheese, beer,
packers
summer fest
friends' laughter reigns

Returning

Heart and Home

Child Narrator

My friend Will

Mommy told me never to go play with the kid on the other side of the fence. They're bad people, Mommy once told me. Mommy was pretty and beautiful, and I loved her. She read me bedtime stories, and kissed my boo boos and made me lunch. But at night, she would yell at Daddy. All they did was yell. I thought we were happy. But then one day, Mommy wasn't there anymore. Daddy looked the other way. He was drinking something funny and he smelled bad. He yelled a lot, and he cried. I tried to say, "Don't cry Daddy." That didn't stop the tears.

​So against what Mommy said, I went to visit the kid on the other side of the fence. At first, I would just stare at him as I walked to school. And he would stare back. Then soon, we got to talking. We talked about sports. He asked a lot of questions. Why is the color...

Five Novel Titles

Five Novel Titles

When one walks among the book shelves, one sees, tons of titles and authors, words that someone chose to write, be they fiction or not, this information that happens to inspire them. Storm thief The Coldest Girl in Coldtown The Witch of Blackbird Pond The Secret Garden Breathe

purplpeanut's 6 Likes

Still here by Tehillah Truter

Published 7 months ago

My brother by EmilyCharlottie

Published 8 months ago

Medium by Enter-Sarcasm-Here

Published over 1 year ago

Mistakes were made by KizzyCat

Published over 1 year ago

Mistakes were made by KizzyCat

Published over 1 year ago

Chasing the Sky by SnowBallad

Published over 1 year ago

7 Likes from Others

Hook, Line, and Sinker

Liked by 1 person

Not a name

Liked by 1 person

Heart and Home

Liked by 1 person

Time is not on thou side

Liked by 1 person

Last Day of the World

Liked by 1 person

My friend Will

Liked by 1 person

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned over 1 year ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 1 year ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned 8 months ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned 8 months ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 8 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 1 year ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned over 1 year ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned over 1 year ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 1 year ago

Top critic

Woohoo. You've submitted over fifteen reviews.

Earned 7 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned over 1 year ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.