eissa05

Personal Essay Competition: Making Change 2018

Who do we blame?

“Is your father a terrorist?”,a classmate asked at recess after a presentation about my cultural identity, a part of me I was so proud of. I scoffed as I wrinkled my brows into a frown. I was astounded as to how someone could joke, even ponder over such a ludicrous question. I started feeling light headed, like I was about to cry. After calming myself down and politely answering no, the classmate scuttled back to her band of bullies. How could she say such a thing? I’d never been ashamed of who I was, thanks to my parents, my Vietnamese mother and Christian Syrian father, but now I was, to say the least, bitter and outraged by her ignorance. After I came home from school, my father asked me how my presentation went, and...

Personal Narrative Competition 2018

Who do we blame?

“Is your father a terrorist?”,a classmate asked at recess after a presentation about my cultural identity, a part of me I was so proud of. I scoffed as I wrinkled my brows into a frown. I was astounded as to how someone could joke, even ponder over such a ludicrous question. I started feeling light headed, like I was about to cry. After calming myself down and politely answering no, the classmate scuttled back to her band of bullies. How could she say such a thing? I’d never been ashamed of who I was, thanks to my parents, my Vietnamese mother and Christian Syrian father, but now I was, to say the least, bitter and outraged by her ignorance. After I came home from school, my father asked me how my presentation went, and I...

Personal Narrative Competition 2018

Who do we blame?

Who do we blame?
“Is your father a terrorist?”,a classmate asked at recess after a presentation about my cultural identity, a part of me I was so proud of. I scoffed as I wrinkled my brows into a frown. I was astounded as to how someone could joke, even ponder over such a ludicrous question. I started feeling light headed, like I was about to cry. After calming myself down and politely answering no, the classmate scuttled back to her band of bullies. How could she say such a thing? I’d never been ashamed of who I was, thanks to my parents, my Vietnamese mother and Christian Syrian father, but now I was, to say the least, bitter and outraged by her ignorance. After I came home from school, my father asked me how...

Personal Narrative Competition 2018

Who do we blame?

Who do we blame?
“Is your father a terrorist?”,a classmate asked at recess after a presentation about my cultural identity, a part of me I was so proud of. I scoffed as I wrinkled my brows into a frown. I was astounded as to how someone could joke, even ponder over such a ludicrous question. I started feeling light headed, like I was about to cry. After calming myself down and politely answering no, the classmate scuttled back to her band of bullies. How could she say such a thing? I’d never been ashamed of who I was, thanks to my parents, my Vietnamese mother and Christian Syrian father, but now I was, to say the least, bitter and outraged by her ignorance. After I came home from school, my father asked...