Anyar

When I'm not procrastinating, I do a lot of writing, reading, and ranting about the environment and feminism and basically everything.

Default avatar user icon
Default avatar user icon

Anyar (United States) started following tatiana.js (United States)

Default avatar user icon
Tumblr npfkf78eak1tbm8gjo4 250

Anyar (United States) started following Zoe G. (United States)

Default avatar user icon
Dandelion

Anyar (United States) started following the.dandelion.writer (United States)

Default avatar user icon

Anyar (United States) liked The Socratic Method and the Fourth Dimension by Angelina Nguyen (Australia)

Default avatar user icon
2

Anyar (United States) published:

Reviewing Life in America

PROMPT: Interview Competition 2017

I interviewed my neighbor and family friend, a stay-at-home mother with three kids. We talked at first in her yard while she pushed her baby on the swing set, took a break to get her son off the bus, and resumed the interview inside as she simultaneously sorted out his homework. She speaks with a Cambodian accent and grammar that I tend to attribute to Khmer-speakers who learned English as a second language.

A: So you wanted to ask me...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
Leader

Anyar (United States) earned a badge Leader

Default avatar user icon
4
1

Anyar (United States) published:

The Lychee Trees

PROMPT: Imagine This

Imagine this: Their marriage has not been chosen by them, but they are happy anyway. 

They settle down in their own home, built on stilts for when the rainy season comes. He works for the agricultural sector of the government; she runs a store out of their front room and raises their four daughters. He teaches their family how to read and write. 

The world is changing, and when the rumors reach them, they decided to leave their homeland. The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Anyar (United States) published:

Blue Light

PROMPT: 1 Photo, 100 Words

I shove my way through the people, dragging Elaine behind me. I hate aquariums, I hate tunnels, and I hate our tour guide.
"Mia, slow down." I don't. "It's actually really cool, look."
I don't look. I just want to leave. Where's the exit?
There's too many people and too many jellyfish. I think blue just stopped being my favorite color.
"Mia...Mia!" Elaine stops, and it's too hard to drag her so I turn around and glare. My heart is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Anyar (United States) published:

Blue Light

PROMPT: 1 Photo, 100 Words

"Mia, slow down." I don't. "It's actually really, cool, Mia, look."
"Mia...Mia!" Elaine stops, and it's too hard to drag her so I turn around and glare. I can...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

Anyar (United States) liked The One Grand Piano by Norah (United States)

Interview Competition 2017

Reviewing Life in America

A: So you wanted to ask me questions?

Q: Yes, about what it's like being in this country as an immigrant.

A: Freedom and very sexual, compared to where I come from.

Q: You were born in Cambodia, right?

A: Yes, I was born and raised in Cambodia. I got here in 2004.

Q: Did you know how to speak English before you came here?

A: Yes, I went to school in Cambodia and got a degree in accounting. Besides that, it's very common to learn English...

Imagine This

The Lychee Trees

The world is changing, and when the rumors reach them, they decided to leave their homeland. The six of them are lucky; they huddle together under a tarp in the back of a truck and make it safely to the refugee camp. When asked, he decides they will go to America. 

In America, they each work multiple jobs. They have another daughter, the only one to be given an American name. They move so often that almost none of their daughters graduate from the same high school, but all five graduate valedictorian and go to college. 

He...

1 Photo, 100 Words

Blue Light

"Mia...Mia!" Elaine stops, and it's too hard to drag her so I turn around and glare. My heart is beating so hard I'm worried that if I touch them I'll feel it in my wrists.
"I want to leave."

1 Photo, 100 Words

Blue Light

"Mia...Mia!" Elaine stops, and it's too hard to drag her so I turn around and glare. I can hear my heart pounding in my head.
"I want to leave."

TV Pilot Competition 2017

The City

LINA (V. O.)
There used to be so many people that they covered the whole world with their houses and farms.

Outlines of people and houses, panning out to show more and more.

LINA (V. O. cont.)
And they kept having more children and making more farms and houses, until, eventually, there was no more room.

Screen goes black.

LINA (V. O. cont)
Now most of the people live in the City.

Screen shows shots of the crowded City streets. The roads are not paved, the buildings are mostly worn brick. Clothes are practical and designed for movement. Everyone moves with a purpose but people occasionally wave to each other or talk while they walk. It looks poor but not unhappy.

The scene changes to show two children, a boy and a girl, clearly related. They are sitting in a forest clearing, the backyard of a simple cabin. They are sitting next to each other listening to the Alina, who...

TV Pilot Competition 2017

The City

LINA (V. O.)

LINA (V. O. cont.)

Screen goes black.

LINA (V. O. cont)
Now, most of the people live in the City.

My December Competition 2016

Christmas

The bizarre thing about holidays is that they're supposed to bring people together, but often they end up forcing them farther apart. The best Christmas episodes of shows, especially comedies, are full of conflict. If you listen to pop culture, holidays are the time when you're forced to spend time with your family, whether you want to or not, for the kids, for the memories. For the tradition. If you want to guilt your children into spending time with you, play the Christmas card.
And the holidays can highlight all the cracks in relationships. If you haven't seen your sister who lives on the other side of the country for six months, it can be easy to forget about her subtly judgmental comments, or the way that your brother never EVER stops telling terrible jokes and occasionally getting annoyed when you don't laugh at them. When you've spent months convincing yourself that it's not as bad as you remember, being...

My December Competition 2016

Christmas

Walking

The Shapeshifter

Each person, each group, is distinguished by a million things. Patterns I recognize, in their clothing styles and speech patterns. In their walks.

My mother is a politician, and she walks like most of them. Good posture, eye contact with every passing citizen, smiles as she walks effortlessly in her heels that are high enough to be fashionable but low enough to be approachable.

Laura walks differently. She's very balanced, very graceful. Sometimes I swear her feet don't touch the floor. It seems weird for a maid to walk like that - the maids in my mother's friends' houses walk solidly. Their treads speak of dependability. But not Laura - maybe she was a dancer in a former life.

Aaron has to remember to slouch. He does it to annoy his parents, but I guess good posture was burned into his brain so young that he needs to actively tell himself to lean forward, to drop his shoulders. I don't...

Imagine This

The Lychee Trees

They settle down in their own home, built on stilts for when the rainy season comes. He works for the agricultural sector of the government; she runs a store out of their front room and raises their four daughters. He teaches her how to read and write. 

He passes...

Universal Knowledge

The Universal Language

People will tell you that the universal language is a smile, that it is kindness, friendship, a helping hand... not so; the truth is that wherever you go, whoever you speak to, the universal language is food -  a shared meal (or exclusion from one) means everything in every culture and every religion.

Invisible Cities

The City

The City was built and runs on technology lost to time, buildings rebuilt from bricks around the iron skeletons of the ruins, food processed on old machinery from the genetically modified bamboo that grows rampant during the summer in the surrounding forests.

It's huddle of worn brick buildings with narrow streets. When the work days at the factories start, the streets fill to capacity with workers pressed so closely that someone could rob you blind and you would only realize it once you reached your station. But pick-pocketing is not a problem in this place with nothing to steal.

Everyone in the city who is old enough is employed, and every job is important. The world relies on the weavers who turn hemp into thread and thread into cloth, and on the mechanics who do their best to keep all the machines running, and on the workers who turn the wastes of bamboo and hemp and thread into paper, and...

Flash Fiction Competition 2016

Heroes

She likes to go to the movies, to sit in the darkness and lose herself in the worlds spun from the imaginations of American writers and directors and designers.

She watches as the heroes and villains clash again and again, in different faces and for different reasons, and wonders if she is hero, and if so who is her villain.

She doesn't know that in the weeks to come, her world will spin out of control, propelled by important people who have little interest in the fortunes of a girl from San Francisco they see as only another number.

Mysteries Abound

What we don't know

We don't know what everyone else is leaving out of their explanations.

We don't know what the world looks like through in the context of anyone's experiences but our own.

We don't know the truth, the big picture formed by the pieces of knowledge collected by every individual, fitted together to form a cohesive whole where the reasons behind every person's actions are explained.

We certainly haven't agreed on who gets to yell their pieces of knowledge and opinion the loudest.

Flashlight

Sometimes

Sometimes, I think I know why
we are so obsessed with the dystopias, the evolved,
the post-apocalyptic

Sometimes I think I see fear
    What happens when the oil runs out?
    What happens when tensions snap?
    What happens when the ground is dead?

Sometimes I think I see
the end of the world getting closer and
sometimes I think
other people see it too
But we can't stop pushing on

It's not practical to leave all the oil in the ground
There's no off switch for hate
We don't have the money to use the ground fairly
So we carry on

Sometimes I believe we can change the world
Sometimes I know we won't do it in time
Sometimes I wonder what happens
    when it all finally collapses
    when we break the world

Illumination

Because

Because she talks in matter-of-fact insults, because she scoffs at compliments, because everything she owns comes from garage sales and clearance racks, because she visits to cook and clean, because she won't engage in the traditional jovial American conversation, she is written off. Because they write her off, no one realizes it is her choice not to confront them with the truths they would hate to hear, as she is an old woman and simply wants to be left in peace.

Imagine This

The Lychee Trees

They settle down in their own home, built on stilts for when the rainy season comes. Underneath they keep chickens, and on the land grows lychee trees she will later tell their granddaughter about. He works for the agricultural sector of the government; she runs a store out of their front room and raises their four daughters. He teaches her how to read and write. 

In America, they each work multiple jobs. They have another daughter, the only one to be given an American name. They move so often that almost none of their...

All in a Name

Apricity

The second day Ari went to visit Daniel, she asked him about her name.

"It's weird," she said. "Most people can't even pronounce it. Everyone just calls me Ari. Except when the kids are making fun of me. They call me Apricot."

Daniel almost laughed, but the little girl was looking at him quite seriously. "When you get older, you will understand that calling someone 'Apricot' is a really bad insult."

"Oh, I know. It's just that I wonder."

Daniel smiled. "It was your dad's idea. He liked words... big words. Obscure words. He had a dog named Groak."

"Groak?"

"It's when you look at someone who's eating hoping they'll give you some."

Ari laughed. "That's a good name for a dog." Then she hesitated. She wanted to ask what happened Groak after her parents died, but she was scared to.

Daniel guessed. "He was already old. I took him in; he only lived for a few months after." Then,...

A History of Everything, Including You

This is what we know

Starting at the beginning is a tricky concept because, if you think about it, there is nothing more controversial. Every group has its own theories; the Big Bang, God, the world has just been a giant turtle this whole time...
So I think it's hard, almost impossible, to start at the beginning. So you, person reading, fill in the blanks with however you think the world started. Because really, as sentient beings, we can choose our universes. And they started however we believe they started.

Likewise, I will skip the creation/evolution of life, and then humanity. Let's just move on, straight to People.

When people became people (however you believe that went down) we became hunter-gatherers. This was exactly what it sounds like. Food was hunted with a stick and picked of bushes. I am told this was actually not a bad way to live.
We started out in Africa, then spread out to various parts of the world. During...

My December 2016

My December

When we talk about December, really we're talking about winter break. We're talking about that time when almost all the relatives somehow find a break in their terribly busy schedules to come back from whatever far-flung place they've moved to and congregate in someone's living room. You see that cousin you haven't seen in ages, which is amazing because normally you see the ten-year-old cousins that run around shooting each other with Nerf bullets. You see your grandmother, who you saw a few months ago but it's still exciting, until she berates you for only washing your hair every other day. And then you see your aunts rolling their eyes at you behind her back.

It's a grab bag. A jostled-up collection of moments, memories, and traditions. It pretends to proceed in an orderly fashion, but it doesn't really. Grown-up sisters talking together move from job promotions to their childhood to their colleauges to how their mother won't stop blaming...

Novel Writing Competition 2015

Snow White and Rose Red

It was a cool night in early spring. They were sitting peacefully around the fireplace, Ava knitting a shawl for Rose- or rather, re-knitting it. The old one had gotten ripped as her rambunctious daughter tried to teach her timid sister how to climb a tree. There was a large tear, but Ava had managed to unravel it and tie the pieces together. Yarn ends from some of the knots stuck out, but Ava correctly guessed that Rose wouldn't notice, or, if she did notice, she wouldn't care. The tree-climber herself sat on the rag rug in front of the fireplace, dominating the imaginary game she was playing with Snow. Snow was loyally following along as her sister explained the conditions set out by the magical fairy godmother (played by the wooden kitchen spoon in a gorgeous doll's dress that Snow had carefully fixed on with yarn) in order for the two beautiful sisters, Rosamund and Snowbell, to...

Returning

The Woods

I'm tramping through the woods.
When I decided to come in here, I was angry. I'm still angry.
But my attention is being diverted.
I'm tramping through the woods. My fake Uggs, which I threw on angrily, are shuffling through the leaves. I'm surprised the few layers I have on are warm enough in November.

The ground is covered in generations of dead leaves, but I like it. So little here has changed.

I haven't been here for years. It's bizarre. The last time I was here, clomping around the cluster of trees that was my childhood hideout, I must have been ten or eleven. I was obsessively imaginative, projected Laura Ingalls Wilder stories onto the world around me, and plotted building a mud hut up here and running away. My fantasy was running away to live in the woods in a mud hut.
And now I'm back. I'm back, carrying the context of AP classes and college planning and...

Ten Words to You

Small Town, New England, USA

Dispersed among trees and houses, furniture stores and italian resturaunts.

Anyar's 13 Likes

The One Grand Piano by Norah

Published about 2 years ago

shadows by River Song

Published almost 2 years ago

Remember by vavi@leafgreenlea.com

Published almost 2 years ago

Letters to Petersburg by AJNair

Published almost 2 years ago

Mysteries Abound by Helen Grant

Published almost 2 years ago

Mysteries Abound by Helen Grant

Published almost 2 years ago

patches by Phoebe L

Published about 2 years ago

My Reaction to the news today.... by FantasyWriter

Published over 2 years ago

Novels that need to exist by Soph Gibson

Published over 2 years ago

that time of day by Josephine O'Grady

Published over 2 years ago

A Conversation with my Future Toddler by -annie rooks

Published over 2 years ago

A Scent of Marigolds by Sarah Feng

Published over 2 years ago

6 Likes from Others

The Lychee Trees

Liked by 4 people

Reviewing Life in America

Liked by 2 people

The Shapeshifter

Liked by 1 person

The Lychee Trees

Liked by 1 person

Because

Liked by 1 person

Apricity

Liked by 1 person

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 1 year ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 10 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 2 years ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned almost 2 years ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned over 2 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned almost 2 years ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.