YetAnotherHuman

Greetings.
I am a human being.
So are you.

June 2018

The beast inside me is sleeping, not dead.
Wake them at you own risk.

Happiness and well-loved memories

There's the moments in life when you feel so happy you could cry, moments so golden that they seem more like dreams than things that happened. The pure and simple happiness when you don't know if you want to scream out your joy or just laugh. When you're smiling so hard that your cheeks hurt but you don't care because that's how happy you are. The moments you look back on and think of a better time, an easier, warmer, kinder time, when your memories are faded from looking back on them so much. They colours are dulled but the emotion rings through brightly and you know it's still there. You can't wish for anything more, all you can do is pray that you'll never forget those moments. It's all I can do.

The Difference that Mattered

She wandered through the village square, scanning through the market for the produce section, for apples her mother requested. Eyes followed her uneasily, but quickly averted when she noticed them. When she finally found the man selling fresh fruit, he didn't respond when she asked for the price of the apples. She repeated herself, even though he clearly heard her the first time. She opened her mouth to speak again, but he interrupted her. ‘I don’t sell my good fruit to freaks like you! Go away before you taint something!’ his raised voice attracted the attention of the townspeople, who turned to stare accusingly. The corruption in their eyes stayed with her as she hurried away.
As she passed a street corner she observed a number of people yelling about their group. Everyone was supposed to join for ‘the greater good’, but she felt a darker side behind their crowing display, feeling that a conforming and uniform society was hardly...

The Sky Always Listens

He staggered blindly through the underbrush, branches clawing at his arms and tearing through his clothes. Uncaring, he fought through, gasping out for breath, body racked with sobs. Tears mixed with blood and dirt as they ran down his face and were smudged aside by the leaves that whipped across his cheek and stung his eyelids. Crying out in pain as he scraped his leg on a jagged stick jutting out of a fallen tree, he heard his voice echoing through the forest, carried in the sound of rustling trees and birdcalls, the distant thrum of cars on the road. Shaking his head violently, breath building up in his chest, he broke into a run and tried to block out the sound by concentrating on his uneven footfalls. The burning in his muscles intensified, but before he fell he felt himself bursting through the littered cage that was the forest and out into the open hills. Panting, he slowed to...

The Difference that Mattered

She wandered through the village square, scanning through the market for the produce section, where she needed apples for her mother. Eyes followed her uneasily, but quickly averted when she noticed them. When she finally found the man selling fresh fruit, he didn't respond when she asked for the price of the apples. She repeated herself, even though he clearly heard her the first time. She opened her mouth to speak again, but he interrupted her. ‘I don’t sell my good fruit to freaks like you! Go away before you taint something!’ his raised voice attracted the attention of the townspeople, who turned to stare accusingly. The corruption in their eyes stayed with her as she hurried away.
As she passed a street corner she observed a number of people yelling about their group. Everyone was supposed to join for ‘the greater good’, but she felt a darker side behind their crowing display, something with dangerous potential should it grow...

Open Prompt

The warning in our past, and the threat to our future

The tide goes back, far, far back. Too far.
Fish and sea creatures are left stranded on the bare sand. They will likely die.
People look up in interest. Some jump at the chance of free fish. Some panic and run. Some wait and watch. Most do nothing
They ignore, and they will die.

In 2004, a devastating tsunami struck Indonesia. 230,000 people died.
There was a girl.
A girl on the beach.
A girl who knew.
A girl who tried to help.
When the tide went back
She knew.
She told her family, she told the people.
Some believed her, and tried to help.
some ignored her, for she was but a child.
Some told her she was lying.
But those who listened
They tried to help, and then they ran.
They ran, as did those who they convinced.
They survived.
Everyone left on the beach died, and a lot of the beach and surrounding area was...

Let it be- pop sonnet interptretation

The sun rises on a harrowing war,
The light fills mine heart and lays it to rest.
In darkest fights, it holds the closing door,
Although 'tis warm, mine spirit it doest test.

The weakened souls of humans near and far,
Diversity they must learn to embrace.
Else their war, so silent, last forever
Upon success, it'll be their saving grace.

At the hour the moon can't lighteth the fight,
The light of the stars is shared at night-time.
Music summons me from the fading light,
To waketh and see the sun's final climb.

The peaceful aftermath- we all adore.
Though we lost the battle, we won the war.

One Voice

They always seem to say
Your decisions aren’t yours,
You can’t make good choices, just abide by the laws.
You are but a bird in a cage
All you can do is wait for the key
To be given to you
At your master’s convenience.
And even then
You will be silent.
But you aren’t.
The truth is
You can choose what to say.
You can make change.
Your wings will spread, and you will soar.
What starts as a whisper
Will rise to a roar.

The Mountain of a Different Kind

Is turning away from the world such a crime?  
What is so wrong, when the weight piles higher?
Higher
and higher
It is an ever growing mountain.
So heavy, so high, it seems mounted forever.
What if it 
What if it
What if it
Just fell?
If the sun spared it's heat
gave way for a cloud
or better, a
long
quiet
night
A cool breeze
A fresh start
Or a safe end
But until then
The road goes on
Forevermore hauling,
straining,
fighting 
for 
what won't be
But what will always be
nagging and pulling
demanding and calling
Always there, a reminder of 
that ever growing mountain.
The early warnings that passed you by
that you ignored
That voice in the back of your head
that told you to watch the ever growing mountain.

The Mountain of a Different Kind

Higher
and higher
It is an ever growing mountain.
What if it 
What if it
What if it
Just fell?
If the sun spared it's heat
gave way for a cloud
or better, a long quiet night
A cool breeze
A fresh start
Or a safe end
But until then
The road goes on
Evermore hauling, straining, fighting 
for 
what won't be
But what will always be
nagging and pulling
demanding and calling
Always there, a reminder of 
that ever growing mountain.
The early warnings that passed you by
that you ignored
That voice in the back of your head
told you to watch the ever growing mountain.

Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

​Kids under 13 should not be on social media

Kids under 13 should not be on social media. To this day, it is appalling how many under 13 year olds are on social media, despite the many laws and conditions in place to prevent such things from happening. There are plenty of reasons that they shouldn't be on those websites, such as the many dangers that they may encounter, and that they lack the necessary skills to avoid these threats. In fact, for anyone under the age of 13, to be on social media is against the rules. So they are breaking the policy or terms of use by doing so. 

There are many different threats that present themselves when young people are on social media. Cyberbullying, for instance. Different from playground bullying, it goes on behind the closed doors of the online world. Reports show that some parents did not even know that their own child was online or being bullied. In many cases, there can be...

Race

The commentary blared in my ears, and the smell of the other racers' newly bought sportswear overwhelmed me. Bingo. There went the horn. I took kindly to the painful scrape of rubber against my nails. The blue gravel pounded underneath my feet as it flew away beneath me, morphing into a welcoming beat. Saliva filled my mouth and I swallowed it quickly. Someone threw a flag in the air. My flag. The crowd screamed, and some tossed their hats in the air, as the panting racers crossed the line. The commentary continued its cheering. But as the crowds yelled louder, the commentators turned the volume up to an ear-piercing level. It was excruciating. Neverless, I had won. I wondered if the crowds ever got bored with someone that always won. The men that lobbed their oversized cameras hobbled toward me. Shaking off the sweat, I composed myself for the cameras. I took a deep breath, and when they approached, I...

Children under 13 should not be on social media

Jack #LOSSISLIFE

When I was eight years old, we had to put my mother's horse down. His name was Jack, and he was bombproof. He lived in the paddock by the river, and there was a gum tree as old as he was. My mother rescued him from the slaughterhouse when she was twelve, after he suffered a severe foot injury and was deemed unfit to live. He got the best of care from us, and was ridden by some of the neighbor's grandchildren. Just a week before he died we checked him, there were no issues. No bad feet, no signs of sickness and he was in perfect shape. A week later, we could tell he had lost weight and was limping. My mother knew he needed help, so she called the vet for assistance. When the lady came, she examined Jack, and said that he should be put down. None of us wanted for him to die, but we also...

Tale of an idiot

The tale of the squidiot is very much remembered,
For they were some of the most self-centered.
They weren’t worst at first,
However as they grew older, they began to get bolder.
For a squidiot is only an idiot
When another squidiot is an idiot.
Which unfortunately happens constantly.
(Due to their uncanny ability to multiply
Faster than your average housefly)
They were corrupt and lazy,
And the prospect of their reform rather hazy.
While they were busy, fighting their wars,
Creatures from jungles, deserts and shores.
Were diminishing in number,
Quickly dropping into a very dead slumber.
First went the squodo, followed by the squibex
Then went the squammoth, and subsequently the squigeon.
Squidiots could squilfully multitask in killing squodos and squigeons,
All the while contributing to near global extinction.
And although their population was only 1 million,
It didn’t take long to reach 8 billion.
With so many squidiots, they needed more space,
And the space that they...

#winterwriting Competition Results

Greetings everyone, I'm really sorry for the delay, something came up and I had to sort it out. Anyway, here are the results! (A huge thanks to the four people who entered, I know it doesn't seem like much, but it meant a lot to me, and I was worried that no one would enter and I'd have to scrap it, so hey, thanks!) 

First Place: AJ - Izzy's Jack Frost- https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/110211/version/210268 

Second Place: Christy Wisdom's A Winter Landscape- https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/110225/version/209958 

Honorable mentions: Embo's From the Eyes of a Snow Leopard-  https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/110250/version/209985

and Juliana's unnamed #winterwriting story- https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/109515/version/208765

Unfortunately I'm still pretty busy at the moment, but tell me in the comments which pieces you want me to review and I will do it as soon as I can.
Thanks again to everyone who entered, and good job on all of your pieces!

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

Ocean Storms

Wild be the waves that crash down upon us

The ocean will bare its teeth in fury.

But now there is still a maddening lust

This must be the storm of the century.

Howling be the wind that blows through the air

Gusting over the frozen cold water.

Twining round the waves to the seashores' lair

Blowing hard toward the trees it may slaughter.

Foamy be the waters of the dark sea

Icy as the snow on a winters' night.

Hurtling toward the soft sand with no plea

Tossing at the shoreline from a great height.

Cowering were all from such destruction

Wishing that this was their own construction.

!!Competition!! #winterwriting

Hi everyone, I'm having my first competition! This may seem a bit random but the prompt is: Winter. Your can write a poem or a story, I don't mind, but is has to have something to do with winter. Oh and if you have, thanks for actually entering:) 

Guidelines:

1. Write a story or poem about winter.
  2. 600 words maximum (no minimum)so not too long please.
  3. No sex, nudity or swearing.
  4. Put the link in the comments in case I can't find it by looking it up.
  5. Call it your title #Winterwriting
  6. Have fun!
Deadlines:
  1. April 12th 1:00pm Australian EDT
  2. Hopefully I can get results out the week after that.
Prizes:
1st place: 5 reviews, 10 likes, a follow, 10 comments 

2nd place: 3 reviews, 7 likes, a follow, 7 comments

3rd place(only if there is more than 10 entries): 1 review, 3 likes, a follow, 3 comments 

Note: the reviews, likes, and comments will be on pieces of your choice...

A Short Passage from a Hawk's Life

I flew through the air, feathers rippling in the breeze. As I floated over a warm thermal, I drifted further west, over the forest. Circling lower, I searched the forest floor, my amber eyes scanning, picking up the slightest movement. A leaf landed softly on the ground, in time with the almost silent stirring of small bodies under the earth. Trees with fading colours swayed gently, a peaceful rustle that filled the air with its whispers. Smaller songbirds sang of places far away, of times long past. A doe and its fawn ventured cautiously into the meadow bathed a golden glow of sunlight. Squirrels chattered, and ravens cawed in the distance. My mind took in all of this, comprehended it, and pushed it into the back of my head. I had spotted what I was looking for. A rabbit, fattened from the lush grasses of spring, sat in a small clearing. I closed in, pulled my wings back, and reached...

The Runt

My paws pounded against the ground, undergrowth flying past as I ran through the woods. Scents infiltrated my nose, stale or fresh, all begging for my attention, all dismissed in the hurry. Footsteps sounded behind me, closer and closer. It was then that I knew I was trapped. He overtook me in no time, turning to face me. His grizzled muzzle pulled back to show yellowed teeth, jagged and chipped. I hurtled to a halt, skidding in the dirt. I rose to my feet, growling menacingly. I had always been the one who stood out. It was always me who was picked on and sneered at. I was different. Unlike the others. They had amber eyes, red-brown russet fur, and were all bulk and brute strength. So many ways I was different. Me, with my ice-blue eyes, black fur, and slight frame. I was different in every sense of the word.
And I loved it.
They didn’t know half the...

Op-Ed Competition 2019

You're a Girl

I knew from the moment I entered the room that I was different from the other girls. They wore sparkly dresses, pink, and tiaras were braided neatly into their long hair. The contrast between me and them was so stark I could have passed for another species altogether. I was wearing old jeans and a grey shirt. My hair was cut to my ears and very messy. Already people were starting to stare, so I quickly made my way over to the toy boxes, giving the starers a savage scowl. Reaching the play area, I looked at the two boxes of toys. One was pink, and was full of dolls, fluffy animals with creepily big eyes, and frilly pink dresses for a game of dress-up. The other box was blue, and held toy cars and trucks, dinosaurs, and police officer and fireman costumes. I knew on sight what I would pick. I reached for the police officer costume, but a...

Regretful words #powerfullpoems

Always just that far away,
not happy to see me every day.
Too distant, too hard, 
whoever cared about the card?
Now I'm a hazard, a danger to all,
our friendship would be better on other sides of a wall.
Now there's nothing, only ruin is left,
and now it's a double, not treble clef.
But is this wreckage really my fault?
Whatever truth is locked away in a vault.
To whoever's onlooking, I'm the one to blame,
so now I'll be gone, as quick as I came.

A Story of Creation

Many years ago, more than any mind can count, there was a great spirit called Cold-fire. She was gifted to turn into anything that pleased her. Whether it was a tiger, a spider, or even a tree. She was often lonely, being the only one on earth, which was only a seemingly endless plain of dust, forever stared upon by the sun. One day, on one of her repeated wanderings, Cold-fire came across a white rock. She was in the shape of a dog at the time, and when she touched it, a dog appeared beside her. She turned in shock to it, and dropped the rock. "Hello," the dog said. She picked the rock up again, and another dog appeared next to her. Cold-fire realized that this was a creating rock.  It was a hot day, and the dogs looked thirsty. So out of kindness, she turned into a tree and told the one of the dogs to drop...

The Foxes and the Fire

Once, a long time ago, the humans had fire, and they kept it all to themselves. In winter, they were warm and could cook their food. But in the wild, some foxes were cold and jealous. The human people were greedy and did not share! So one day, a fox thought it would be a good idea to steal the fire from the humans.
One fox noticed that the humans did not use the fire so much in day as they did at night. So, he sat hidden until the sun had reached its highest point in the sky, and it was the brightest. He quietly crept up behind a human sleeping in front of the fire, and snatched some of it. The man woke immediately, and shouted at the fox to stop. The fox did not stop running till he reached his home.
 For a few days, the foxes used the fire, and were very pleased with it....

How the Bees got their Stripes

Once, long ago, the bees were bad creatures. They were lazy and stung both animals and humans for fun, while stealing food and flying off. A young spirit was roaming around one day, picking ripe fruits and flowers to take back to the other spirits. He looked back at his basket of pickings, and saw half of the apples gone, along with all of the juicy pears. The young spirit did not know where they could have possibly disappeared to. He kept going, and by and by, he noticed the apricots too had vanished. Out of the corner of his eye, the spirit saw a yellow dot race out of sight. Thoroughly confused, the spirit decided to head back to his home.

Back at the Spirits' home, the young spirit described to the wise one the mysterious disappearance of his harvest. The wise one knew of bees and the naughty things that they did, and was very cross...

The Flood of the Great Spirits

Once, long ago, before mankind, all the animals gathered in a meeting. They were there to talk about how to stop fights and arguments between one another. However, their previously calm discussion had morphed into a debate. Waves crashed loudly on the nearby shore. The leader of the meeting was wise old Kookaburra, and knowing that this was a sign of angry spirits, he called the animals quiet. He said to them; "Everyone! We must not fight, lest we anger the Great Spirits! Let us be friendly and settle these petty disputes. We are here to find a way of peace, not war. All those who still wish to bicker and argue, please leave so that we can still talk."
Many animals left, growling and squawking in annoyance. Among them were the  Ankhodan, Rithal, Myron, and Poreth, all very aggressive creatures. Believing that all was now well, Kookaburra continued the meeting.

Meanwhile, the animals that left the conference were...

Traveling Mind of a Seven-Year-Old Girl

Waiting in Dubai

I am so tired.
My eyes are
Dragging
Shut...
NO! I am awake
Not
Asleep. 
Sitting still
Baking heat.
Waiting and waiting and waiting some more.
Past us walk some people and come people past us again.

The airport is hot, way too hot.
There is no breeze, not even a breath. There is no fan, only bustling people.
We are waiting for time- for time to pass. The next flight, not for hours.

It seems like days since we got on the plane,
All rugged up, coats, hats and scarves
Against the cold
But here-
No,
 the temperatures soar, past thirty then forty and then even fifty.
We took off the coats and the
scarves and then
 the hats
but here the sun is too bright and too hot.

Back home it was cooler, colder
back then we wished for a warmer place.
we got what we wished for, and now we...

What it Takes to Fly

She flew through the air. Hanging by her knees alone, she swung. Then suddenly, she let go. Reach, and now reaching out, the one on the opposite bar caught her hands, and now they were both swinging to and fro. But as she reached the highest point, she was flung high, so high, that she seemed no more than a passing sparrow. She came down, arms outstretched, to land gracefully on the net.                                                                                                                          
My eyes followed this display, growing wider and wider as it went on. My line of sight wandered to the dwindling line, and my blood went cold. It was my turn next.

The main reason I was so terrified of doing it, was mainly because of my life-long fear of heights. The other reasons consisted of falling, crashing down and missing the net, being humiliated, and a collection of others that I couldn’t care to mention. Gulping, I headed for the ladder that lead up...

A Fallen King

He walked through the high grasses, his blood leaving a telltale trail to any predator desperate enough to attack him. His mind spun. Sitting down abruptly to steady himself, he tried to remember what had happened the night before. Although it was only a few hours back, his memory was shrouded with the confusion and panic of the attack. They were enjoying the fruits of a successful hunt, he recalled. The three best lionesses had taken down a gazelle, and there was enough food for everyone. Those three lionesses, he realized with a pang of regret, were dead. Slaughtered defending the cubs while he was on the way back from a patrol around his borders. Not his anymore, he thought. No. He was an outsider, a disgrace. A threat. To something that he would never have considered himself a danger to before. He had lost everything. His pride, his territory, everything he had ever known. A sharp burst of pain...

Forgiving Words

What once was a sin,
in my heart like a pin,
All gone, all cleared,
I'm no longer feared.
Some think there was a moment when all came clear,
others look on, but call me queer.
But truth in truth, lie in lie,
all I ever do is ask myself why.
Because now I believe it's not only my fault,
as today all the facts are freed from the vault.
now the balance is sound, and even again,
now the three of us all are freed from the pain.

A Fallen King

He walked through the high grasses, his blood leaving a telltale trail to any predator desperate enough to attack him. His mind spun. Sitting down abruptly to steady himself, he tried to remember what had happened the night before. Although it was only a few hours back, his memory was shrouded with the confusion and panic of the attack. They were enjoying the fruits of a successful hunt, he recalled. The three best lionesses had taken down a gazelle, and there was enough food for everyone. Those three lionesses, he realised with a pang of regret, were dead. Slaughtered defending the cubs while he was on the way back from a patrol around his borders. Not his anymore, he thought. No. He was an outsider, a disgrace. A threat. To something that he would never have considered himself a danger to before. He had lost everything. His pride, his territory, everything he had ever known. A sharp burst of pain...

Howl of the Wolves #happyendings

Howl of the Wolves
A low howl sliced through the quiet night air. The dogs pricked their ears up, but the sheep continued to graze. It was a warm summer night, yet the eerie sound raised the hairs on the servant boy’s neck. Thunder rumbled, and clouds spread out over the sky. He had already reached the shelter of the trees by the time heavy droplets of rain began to fall. They splattered on the dusty ground and leaked through the dry leaves of the tree under which he stood. This was the first rain in moons. The harvest plains were bare, the streams ran low and even the potter’s clay tiles were beginning to crack in the heat. Thunder crackled again, and a jagged spear of light shot out of the darkness, briefly outlining the village and surrounding forest in a blue-white glow. Yet as he watched on, the rain grew stronger, until he was positive it was torrential,...

Snowy Freedom

I trudged through the snow, an icy wind beating down on my shoulders. Every step left me knee deep in white slush. The night was dark, and I could barely see the world in front of me. My load was heavy, straining me, weakening me, with every blast of snowy wind. And still I walked on. I’d walked for hours. On and on, through this miserable mountain pass. When I stumbled again, the company pulled away from the invisible path. They walked a little further, before coming to face a gaping hole in the stone. A cave.

They had lit a fire, now it flickered and crackled, eating up the damp wood, eating up the cold darkness of the cave. I stood at the entrance, tail twitching. This was dangerous, and I stamped my hooves. Their dog lay nearby, eyes dancing back and forth, watching for danger in the night. Black with piercing blue eyes, alike to the wolves...

Regretful words #powerfullpoems

Always just that far away,
not happy to see me every day.
Too distant, too hard,
whoever cared about the card?
Now I'm a hazard, a danger to all,
Now there's nothing, only ruin is left,
and now it's a double, not treble clef.
But is this wreckage really my fault?

Regretful words #powerfullpoems

Always just that far away,
not happy to see me every day.
Too distant, too hard,
whoever cared about the card?
Now I'm a hazard, a danger to all,
Now there is nothing, only ruin is left,
and now it's a double, not treble clef.
But is this wreckage really my fault?

Ocean storms

The ocean will bare its teeth in fury.

But now there is still a maddening lust

This must be the storm of the century.

Gusting over the frozen cold water.

Foamy be the waters of the dark sea

Icy as the snow on a winters' night.

Cowering were all from such destruction