Peer ambassador badge

Lia Kares

When I write, I get sucked into another blissful world.
But sometimes, there's a gate that won't let me get into that world.
It takes days on end to pass through that gate.
Writer's block.

Peer Reviews

Future Op-Eds

PROMPT: Genre Bender

I love how you also added good aspects apart from just sad or questionable headlines! I realized a lot of pieces under this prompt consist of mostly bad things happening. There's nothing wrong with that at all, but it's amazing to see good things in the future as well. Keep on writing! All of your paragraphs had such a good voice to it. Your voice sets an amazing mood to go along the paragraph as well! This is such a marvelous piece! - Karen

A and Z (Revised)

PROMPT: Unlikely Friends

I'm so happy you took my advice and continued editing this piece. I think this piece is so much better even though the last version was amazing as well! There's so much more of a flow, and barely any grammar mistakes! I love this piece a lot, and how it ends in a way that it isn't really the end. If you get what I mean haha :) I'm also really sorry it took me a while to review this piece again! Anyway, as always, keep on writing! Karen

The Savior

PROMPT: Lunar Phrases

I really love these metaphors! I think you have such interesting ideas! I wish I had as amazing ideas! Keep on writing! If you have any questions about this piece you need answered, I'm right here! :) - Karen

The Curse of the Mountain

This piece has a sad, yet amazing premise. I'm so happy you decided to write a piece like this. I was expecting it to have a happy ending, but it didn't. Some pieces just don't, and that's absolutely fine. Your descriptions were also quite good, I could imagine the place in my head. The thing is, sometimes, you added a little too much information. This made your piece seem quite verbose, as if you were trying to reach a specific word count. I really suggest going through this piece again and picking out the words and phrases that aren't particularly needed. I believe by doing that you might tackle another inconvenience in this piece. I realized you were quite repetitive, and your sentences were super long. Long sentences are very hard to format because they're on the edge of becoming a run-on sentence. In your case, majority of your long sentences did enter the run-on sentence section. That's absolutely fine, it's an easy fix :) Still on the grammar path, I did realize that you also had a lot of incorrect tense shifts. I tried to point some out, but I wasn't sure what tense you were going for. That's why I suggest you going through it again with a particular tense in mind :) Apart from the grammar errors, this piece was actually really good! Perhaps check out this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sb93BD4spE&list=PLsD3lyYcZgMhfur-opdn9Shyq3ZB_KQgr&index=2&t=116s ) to make your piece even better :) One last thing, I highly suggest is making a little time-line for this story. While reading this, I did feel as if you jumped from points in a choppy manner. You didn't really have the "glue" between topics. If you have any questions about this, please leave a comment. I would love to help! :) Keep on writing! I hope you continue editing this piece! You have such amazing ideas! -Karen

The Lost and Found

PROMPT: Sijo

I think this a very good piece of writing. I would love to see you write a short-story inspired by this poem. I feel like this poem could be so much more! I really enjoy the message of this poem, and the feeling that lingers in me after reading it. Keep on Writing! - Karen

A and Z (Revised)

PROMPT: Unlikely Friends

I think this is a very good first draft! Your characters are strong, and I had no problem understanding what was happening in the story. Most times in such a short story, the characters aren't developed enough to bring about emotion in the readers. However, the length of your story didn't stop you from still developing the characters friendship amazingly. I would love to see some backstory to their relationship. Did they become friends from the project they worked on? Or were they friends before that? One thing I do think you need to work on is the ending. I think the ending was amazing, and I liked how you ended it. However, I feel as if there's something missing before the ending. I suggest building up to the ending in a more specific way. The last thing I would suggest is re-reading this piece carefully. I noticed some basic grammar mistakes and tense shifts. I think those could be easily fixed by re-reading it carefully :) Anyway, keep on writing! I would love to see you continue editing this piece! - Karen

Telescopic Ivory

PROMPT: Lunar Phrases

I honestly love this metaphor! It made me think about the moon in a different way. To me, the moon is just the moon and nothing else. But, in this piece, you brought up stuff that made me think more about the moon. i'm absolutely awestruck with how good all of your metaphors are! Anyway, keep on writing! I see a lot of good metaphors waiting for you to make them haha :) - Karen

Cuts Like A Knife

As I've said earlier, this poem required a lot of hard work. I even realized that you had a particular syllable count as well. I could never do this! I'm so impressed. You don't even know how impressed I am! This poem is awesome. However, there were some lines that didn't quite make sense. I highlighted some of them that don't make grammatical sense, but there are also more that make grammatical sense but don't make sense. If you get what I mean. Overall, this poem is really good. I'm glad I got to read this poem. I hope you keep on editing this piece to make it the best it can be! Keep on Writing! Karen

Let Sun In

PROMPT: Sijo

This poem is a great first draft! But, I feel as if something is missing from the poem. I wish I could tell you what it is, but I can't place my finger on it. Another thing is that your ending seems quite rushed. I know it's very hard to write a poem in just three lines, and thats why I suggest try changing this into a different form of poem. You could still stick with sijo if you wanted. However, if you choose to stick with a sijo, I highly suggest changing the ending line. Apart from that, I did enjoy the message of this poem. I don't regret reading this poem at all. It has such an interesting premise. Most times, I think people are always excited for Summer to come and couldn't care less about Winter. However, your poem portrayed the opposite. I'm amazed! Keep on Writing! I would love to review your next version if you do decide to keep on editing this piece! - Karen

A Changed World

PROMPT: Though changed...

Overall, this piece is amazing. Why didn't I come up with this first!? This is a 10/10 in my book. The only thing that I would suggest is capitalizing your 'I-s' and beginning of sentences. Keep on Writing - Karen

soft bellows of the wind

PROMPT: Without Sight

Great Job! I'm amazed at how good this is. I don't even know what to say. This piece is pure perfection. How!? The only thing I would suggest is capitalizing. I've stumbled across quite a few pieces on this site that don't capitalize the beginning of their sentences and proper nouns. Has that become a style of some sorts? Call me old fashioned, but I think capitalizing is very important. I believe it makes a piece seem more pristine and polished. Anyway! Keep on writing! - Karen

thoughts about my future that don't require a career counsellor

PROMPT: Dream Big

I actually really admire this piece. You wrote about being kind in such a poetic way. I never expected this piece to be something about being kind while reading it. I actually thought this was you talking about your career path despite the title. Talking about the title, I'm a sucker for short and sweet titles. This is completely a suggestion, and I'm sure people wouldn't mind the title, but I suggest shortening the title. Another thing I noticed about this piece was that nothing was capitalized. I think you did this on purpose, but I recommend capitalizing the beginning of sentences and "I." Capitalizing might not seem like a big deal, but capitalizing actually is. Capitalizing makes a piece seem more professional and makes readers take the piece more seriously. Especially with your strong message hidden in this piece, I really suggest capitalizing your words. I hope you continue editing this piece, and update me when, or if, you do! Keep on Writing! This piece is marvelous! -Karen

Broken Porcelain

I actually really liked the message of this poem and how you used the connotations to convey the message to your reader. Like I said, that really elevated this piece. I would hope to see you continue editing this piece. It would be amazing to see how far you can really take this piece! Anyway, keep on writing! -Karen

When I Leave

PROMPT: "A Map of Lost Things"

I love this reflective essay! You wrote this essay in such a rhythmic way that I wasn't even sure this was actually reflective essay. And, I'm still not sure. To me, this seems more like a reflective prose! Your punctuation, grammar, and flow are amazing! Talking about flow, there is one thing that I didn't like. In the first two paragraphs, the flow was great. I love how you jumped from two different situations with flawless seams. However, in the last paragraph you didn't. To be blunt, the last paragraph was quite choppy. The different situations didn't connect to each other other. It was as if you talked about one thing but didn't completely finish that topic. For example, you wrote, "I bow slightly to show respect when I walk past an adult. I wait in line for twenty minutes for a Krispy Kreme donut that costs half my allowance, then take a picture and brag about it on Instagram." In that example, the two situations really didn't connect to each other. While I was reading that, I thought I had skipped over a part, so I went back. However, I realized I hadn't. Maybe, you should try to write something along the lines of, "As I head to Krispy Kreme, I bow to adults to show respect. Getting a Krispy Kreme donut might not be the smartest choice to make since it costs half my allowance. But, bragging about it on Instagram is certainly worth my allowance." Overall, this piece was amazing. It would be great to see you re-write the last paragraph, so this piece could be even better :) Keep on Writing! -Karen

Alien

PROMPT: Returning

I don't have any comments except to keep on editing this piece. I want to see this piece reach its highest potential! Keep Writing! -Karen

ATTRACTED TO THE DARKNESS

I don't have a lot to say here, but I just want to encourage you to keep on writing. I really enjoyed reading this piece like I've said thousand of times in the review, and It would be sad if you just stopped writing. I also hope to see you continue writing this poem and make it the best it can be. I can't wait to read the new version! :) Keep on Writing - Karen

For the first time.......

To be honest, I don't like the title of this poem which isn't a big deal at all. However, I do hope you change it to something that goes more with the story. I do get how the title could go with the story, but, to me, it doesn't really match. I think you are doing a great job in your writing! I hope to see you continue expanding this story and help the piece become the best it can be. Keep on Writing! -Karen

The Button

One thing I realized while reading this story is that the story seemed like a step-by-step narration or a list of stuff you did. When writing narratives, the different moments should kind of connect to each other. So, maybe, instead of writing, "I pull at the bottom of my skirt. The loud music pounding in my head. The air is thick with hairspray and cheap deodorant. My headache’s getting worse by the second, I turn on my phone, checking the time for the twentieth time in five minutes. The disco ends in two hours, but Dad’s picking me up in twenty minutes. " You could write something like, "I pull at the bottom of my skirt. But, I can't even do that right with the loud music pounding in my head, and the air thick with the stench of hairspray and cheap deodorant. Those two factors hand-in-hand, and you know it's a horrible headache growing with each passing second. Despite that, I still check my phone for the twentieth time in five minutes. Even though the disco ends in two hours, my dad is picking me up in about twenty minutes." In the example I gave, you can tell that each thing that happens connects in a way. I hope you use that example and apply it to the rest of your story :) This is more of a plot suggestion. So, while reading this piece, I sensed a 'Not-so-popular girl meets cute-popular guy' type of plot cliche. Even if you do use that as a plot, I hope you diverge even just a little from it, so your story isn't like all the other girl meet guy cliches. Overall, I did enjoy this story, and I hope you continue writing it! Good job and keep on writing! - Karen

The Door To Uncharted Times Prologue (or book 0)

If I'm being completely honest, based on this prologue, I wouldn't read this book. Now, don't get me wrong. The idea of this is extraordinary, and I think I would read a book with this type of scenario. However, the way you carried out is the reason I wouldn't read it. Throughout the book your wording was awkward and the storyline jumped from places to places. What I mean by this is I think you should change the positioning of your paragraphs for a smoother story. Apart from all that, I do like this piece, and I hope you continue editing this piece because I would love to see the full potential of this story. Keep on Writing! Karen

Loving Arms Refuse to Hold Me

Indenting is key, if you ask me. I believe adding indents can make a piece (apart from poems) seem more clean and flow-y. So, I highly recommend adding some indents at the beginning of each of your paragraphs and each time you click the enter button. I realized you added sentences' that were made up of 4 words with periods after each of them at the end of each section/paragraph of the writing. I think "sentences" like this don't really fit this type of writing. I'm not saying that I don't like the lines, but I think they interrupt the flow of this piece. I suggest removing these lines all together. Or, you could try changing these lines to indented dialogue. For example, instead of saying "Safety. Welcome. Strength. Loved." You could change this line to some dialogue with no distinguishable speaker. An example of this could be, "In his/her arms I felt strong, safe, welcomed, and most of all love." I think if you choose to change it into dialogue, you should put the dialogue on a line by itself and in italics. Overall, I liked the theme of this piece and the 'mysterious' feel of it. I hope you take my advice and keep on editing this piece. I see so much potential and can't wait to read the next version of it! Keep on Writing! - Karen

Micro Memoir

PROMPT: Micro Memoir

Overall, I like this piece. But, to me, the ending seems quite rushed. Therefore, it makes it hard to understand what is really happening. Apart from that, like I said, this piece is good, and I can't wait to read the next version! Keep on Writing! -Karen

window

PROMPT: Doorways

In this piece, your tone comes out as calm, collected, confided, and unafraid. Which, I think is amazing! The fact that you can approach situations that seem like the world is swallowing you whole in a calm manner is absolutely fabulous. I wish I could do the same! :) This is just a preference, but I think it would be better to capitalize your beginning of sentences and "I's." By the way, the repetition of "When the world begins to swallow me whole..." is amazing too! Keep on Writing! - Karen

Pages

I noticed throughout the story you mainly stuck with complex sentences jump-packed with information. I'll admit, sentences like that are necessary at times. But, you added so many that it corrupts the flow of the story and makes it harder for the readers to read. Long, complex sentences are beautiful, but there's are a beauty in simple sentences as well. I believe simple sentences are easier to read and helps the reader better understand the main point of the story as a whole instead of having to try and figure out what each individual sentence means. Overall, this story has a great meaning and tone. However, I do believe there are some things you could tweak. Even if you don't tweak them, this story is still an amazing one to read! I can't wait to read your next version! - Karen

Flow

I would suggest changing your 'spacing.' This basically means changing the place where you end your lines. So, instead of writing "Let your words" and "flow" on two separate lines, you could incorporate both of them into one line. Apart from that example, I think there are multiple places in this piece where you could add two lines together or split one line at a different spot. This is all just my opinion, and I know not everyone would mind this. Keep on writing. I would love to see your new version of this poem! - Karen

Not a writer

I just want to let you know poems don't have to follow a certain structure. That's why there is something called 'free-verse' poems. I used to think that poems have to have a structure as well, but they don't. I personally think free-verse poems are amazing! I also hope that you start to believe in your writing. Almost every writer has a point in their writing journey where they think their writing isn't good enough. However, every single person's writing is beautiful in their own special ways. Keep on writing, you are a writer! - Karen

The End Of The Stars

PROMPT: In The End

I have the biggest weak-spot for figurative language. In this piece, you absolutely hit that weak-spot of mine. Your metaphors and symbols are to die for. Thank you for them! The only other suggestion I have is to add indents, paragraphs, and spaces between the paragraphs. I think this would make the piece more 'neat' and organized. It might also add a more 'dramatic' effect to this piece which I think would go really well with the piece. Keep on Writing! I can't wait to read the next version and see you expand the story line. -Karen

One More Chance

You deserve a standing ovation. Not just for writing a brilliant piece that captures the true form of extended similes/metaphors, but for actually being able to use writing as a therapy :) Also, I love how this piece promotes self-love and how you should always give yourself another chance instead of just giving up. I love this piece, and I hope you decide to keep on writing this piece and add more detail to it! - Karen

Summer

PROMPT: Seasonal Similes

I love this style of poetry. Anytime I see poetry in this type of style, I automatically love it. This poems brings up feelings and memories that I forgot I had. It's absolutely amazing. However, one thing I would like to say is I think your piece would be better than it already is if you added more repetition to your piece. I don't know exactly why, but your piece seems like one of those poems that repetition would fit so well. Plus, I think you should be just a little less vague and add more details and use less similes. I think this would really help bring out the true colors of this piece. I can't wait to read your revision of this piece! - Karen

Pickpocket

When I first saw this piece, I thought it was amazing, and an author like you surely knew that! You're voice, the tone, the word choice, the slight repetition and rhyming were absolutely jaw-dropping. But then, I saw that you were asking for a lot of feedback, and I didn't want to not conform to that request. So, here I am, writing a review for a poem that is already perfect. - Karen

Home

PROMPT: In The End

Keep on writing. I think you are a really good "sad, realistic fiction" writer. One tip I have for you is to work on your flow a little bit more, and, as I said previously, try adding figurative language and imagery (: I can't wait to read your next version of this piece! -Karen

Ignore It All

This is a fantastic piece if you ask me. However, there's always room for improvement! If you have any more questions or something would like to ask me specifically about your poem, just comment, and I'll answer you as soon as possible!

Sturdy

The way you moved your piece on using questions is absolutely marvelous. I also love how you ended the poem. The ending seems like a message to people who hate and bring you down. The message seems to be, "If you're saying I am not doing it the right way, then teach me how to do it the right way. I want to be able to do it the right way." Overall, this is one of my favorite poems! Teach me your skills :) - Karen

Who am I?

Overall, this read was an extraordinary one. Keep up the good work. If you stopped writing, the world would have lost a great motivational writer like you! - Karen

Lonely

I don't know exactly who "she" is, but that's what makes this amazing. You leave it up to the readers to decide. No doubt, this is an excellent poem. The metaphors and similes create an intricate "person" and express that "person's" emotion. Again, this is an amazing piece of writing!

gold star

Another thing I absolutely adored about this piece was the similies and metaphors thrown out all over the piece. It was amazing! I am on a lack of words to describe it! All you need to know is to keep it up with that, and your metaphors are amazing! If you become an author, remember me. Your number one fan, cheering you on! Also, if you have time. Would you review one of my pieces!

Perfect

PROMPT: Unplugged: Op-Ed Competition

As I said before, this was a really good op-ed. However, I think writing op-eds isn't "for you." I feel like you should venture into writing more fictional stories that are based off of real world problems. In that section of writing, I see you becoming a star. Additionally, I believe you should review some of the grammar basics. Even though, you are a great writer you make quite a lot grammar mistakes, small and big. Grammar mistakes can really hinder the quality of a piece of writing. No one wants that! Lastly, about this piece, remember to sight your sources! :)

Save the Humpback Whales!

PROMPT: Earth Day Writing Competition 2019

This essay is really good. No doubt. However, I feel like you should expand the topics more. For example, you were talking about how pollution effects whales, but then you suddenly stopped. Your ideas are amazing, but you should totally expand more on them. Also, you should try organizing the essay better. It was kind of hard to follow along sometimes with jumping from ideas to ideas in a sort of choppy way. Finally, you sometimes become really descriptive on one subject and then barely describe another subject. Just letting you know! I personally don't find any problem with that, but I know that some people will associate that with being choppy. Keep on writing!

Forever asking why.

PROMPT: Five Beginnings

I love the short story. Your writing voice is strong enough to teleport me out of my bedroom into the valley of words you created. Just make sure you don't ask too many questions per section of writing.