Breanna Jury

New Zealand

I'm an aspiring author/novelist that's trying to branch out more and improve my writing

Fantasy Writing Competition 2019

Lies

I never realised how much everyone lies. Not until I started getting this bitter taste in my mouth every time someone did. The acrid taste of 'I'm fine' still coats my tongue after breakfast with my family. 
I'm amazed I haven't thrown up yet.  
As Tara pulls into my driveway, all I want to do is go back to my room and hide. I should have cancelled. 
But she waves and opens the door for me, and I can't resist that grin no matter how I feel. I concentrate on the warm sun and the fresh morning air as I take a deep breath and steel myself.  
There's no way she could think my smile isn't fake as I get into her car.  
"You okay?" She asked as she puts her car in reverse. 
Rather than lie, I just nod. Even that makes bile rise in my throat. I swallow it down and try not to grimace. She looks over at me...

Fantasy Writing Competition 2019

Lies

I never realised until today how much everyone lies. Not until I started getting this bitter taste in my mouth every time someone did. The acrid taste of 'I'm fine' still coats my tongue after breakfast with my family. 
I'm amazed I haven't thrown up yet.  
But she waves and opens the door for me, and I can't resist that grin. I concentrate on the warm sun and the fresh morning air as I take a deep breath and steel myself.  
Rather than lie, I just nod. Even that makes bile rise in my throat. I swallow it down and try not to grimace. She looks over at me with her pale brown...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

Damnation

“Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”
Yes
I raged and burned as bright as the sun.
I reached for stars and solar systems and galaxies to slow my plummet
decaying feathers slipped past me into the abyss

as I fell
                and fell
                                and fell.

Is this pain? This searing ache across my skin?
I don’t like it. I want to go back.
my soul shreds and my wings burst into impossible flames as I fall
to your cold earth.
… why are my hands shaking?
-I want to go home.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

Damnation

Yes
I reached for stars and solar systems and galaxies to slow my fall
as I fell
                and fell
                                and fell.
Is this pain? This burning ache across my skin?
I don’t like it. I want to go back.
my skin burns and my wings burst into impossible flames as I fall
to your cold earth.
… why are my hands shaking?

- I want to go home.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

Damnation

Artemis.
Moonlit maiden,
Goddess of the eternal hunt.

“Turn away from the company of men.”
But I am no man, and when I kissed her
My tears were made of starlight for weeks.

“Join the eternal hunt.”
And when I held her hand
We ran through the forest until not even the dawn could reach us.

“Accept the blessing of immortality.”
And when I touched her
I dreamt of wolves tearing the sky itself apart.

-There is a reason men stay far away

Science Fiction Competition 2018

How to Not Die 101

I heard that in the machine age, people would write these things called biographies. Well, if there was a book written on my life, it’d be called ‘How to Be a Failure 101’. Or perhaps ‘My Life is an Absolute Train Wreck’. 
Either way, you get the point. My life is a disaster.  
I started my day by lighting my hair on fire - accidentally, of course. I never know driftboard wires could spark that much. That whole catastrophe made me late to work, so now I’m out of a job. Just to top it all off, I somehow gained telepathic powers. 
Maybe your life isn’t looking so bad now, aye?  
I tap my boots together, activating my driftboard. The engines kick in and lift me off the ground, its neon lights lighting up just enough for me to avoid the largest pieces of debris. The streets haven’t been cleaned since they were bombed years ago. Everyone just built around the rubble,...

Science Fiction Competition 2018

How to Not Die 101

I started my day by lighting my hair on fire - accidentally, of course. That whole catastrophe made me late to work, so now I’m out of a job. Just to top it all off, I somehow gained telepathic powers. 
I tap my boots together, activating my driftboard. The engines kick in and lift me off the ground, its neon lights lighting up the ground just enough for me to avoid the largest pieces of debris. It's only 1600, but it's already dark. Apparently, the sun used to be out for as much as 12 hours a day. Sunrise to sunset....