Katie B.

Hi! My name is Katie. I am a sixteen years old, and I really enjoy reading and writing. When I'm not daydreaming or playing my violin, you can find me sketching, baking, wake boarding, swimming or skiing.

Hi! I love reading and writing, and I can't wait to keep improving my creative writing skills! In my free time, I like to play the violin, cook, ski, wakeboard, swim, and do art projects.

Environmental Writing Competition September 2018

The Fall of the Homo Sapien

We exist to coexist. And as a human being, that terrifies me. Nature is transparent, while humans design around it with perfection: Smooth lines, symmetry, and equilibrium. 

Even a single step outside forces us to cope with our greatest fears. Irregularity, and in insignificant little things that existed before us, no less! That rock over there? It will undoubtedly outlive you, and every person on planet Earth. And the tree in your backyard has at least thirty years on you, but could still take out half of your garage roof as it tumbles down without a second thought. The wind is going to keep gusting, and if you get lucky, hail will punch golf-ball-sized dents into your car roof at some point in your relatively short life.

The thing is, Mother Nature doesn't care. I am one person. A single, insignificant blob of cells out of billions more. You are, too. We all are. As humans, we are programmed with...

Timeless Counsel

The Flow

Don't go searching for things. Be yourself, and let the opportunities come to you. If you change yourself to fit the grain, happiness will feel false, and confidence will withdraw itself. Let life wash over you like a wave; do not waste your energy on resisting it. Like water, life has a natural course, and it should be in your best interest to follow it.

Your View

Ten Thoughts

1. We exist to coexist. We as humans desire to dominate the world around us. Whether it is with other people, weather, or nature, we have the tendency to fight in order to gain status. In the process, we destroy.

2. We say we don't care, which is a lie. In the present day, we have taught ourselves that emotions make you weak. What we don't realize is that emotions make you human.

3. Social media hasn't replaced the sun as the center of the universe. I don't have social media. I'm a human. I'm living a life. End of story.

4. The big picture is overrated. School teaches kids to see the overview, and we slowly forget that without the details, there would be no big picture to study. 

5. You don't have to be noticed to be important. Even if no one sees what you do, you are still making a difference. As long as you know the...

TV Pilot Competition 2017

Journey to Somewhere

EXTERIOR- A LARGE FIELD- NIGHT

We open on an expansive moonlight field. Not a sound is heard but the whispering rustle of grass in the light summer winds. The camera pans onto the wide, dark sky. Thousands of stars shine brightly above, only overshadowed by the full moon hovering above the distant silhouette of trees.

There's a sudden disturbance in the steady rustling of the grass. We cut to a figure crashing through the field. They turn briefly, and the we zoom onto the face of AMY FIELD (16), sweating and panting. There is evident fear in her eyes, and it is only a second before she turns again flees further. 

We stay at her back, hearing only her frantic breaths and whimpers. Suddenly, she stumbles, and crumples to the ground.

AMY
                                                                   Uuuunnghhh.

For several moments only heavy breathing can be heard as we pan out, capturing a bird's eye view of the scene. Amy lies nestled in...

Cast of Characters

Journey to Somewhere Cast

Setting: Rural Indiana, 1980

Journey to Somewhere is my take on the psychological effects of loss, and how they change your life. Despite their poverty and weaknesses, the Field family was always happy. But ever since the death, it seems like they are slowly falling apart. Follow this dysfunctional group as they search for happiness, forgiveness, and success. Or will their secrets kill them first?

David Field (38)- Born and raised on a prosperous Vermont estate. He got into alcohol and drugs in high school, and constantly received low marks due to repeated nights of partying. His parent's money got him into Yale, but he dropped after only a year. His parents, displeased to see their son return home as an addict without a job, disowned him as to not tarnish their social standing. David soon blew all of his inherited money on expensive drugs, and soon found himself living in Salt Lake City, working at a gas station to...

Why I Write

Falling

I write because I am falling. Tumbling through darkness, grappling for something, anything, to save me. Gathering speed. Words rain down around me, just out of reach. I paw at the air, trying to reach the invisible safety. I cannot. And with a thud that echoes through the crevices of my mind, I slow. 

I write because I am drowning. Sound liquefies in my ear, a dull roar. I am slower now, much slower. What are my words and what are my thoughts, I can no longer tell. Still falling, still dark, my mind a jumble of shapes and colors and illegible lines. Falling.

And suddenly light glares back at me. And they stare.

Mixtape

To the beat of my own drum

This list won't stay for long. It never does.

1. Ziggy Stardust- David Bowie  
The only thing that's stranger than my thoughts.

2. The Adventures Of Rain Dance Maggie- Red Hot Chili Peppers  
 A rainbow of memories, mostly bright.

3. Heroes- David Bowie    
Happy days on the sunny coasts of Italy.

4. Under The Bridge- Red Hot Chili Peppers    
For those days painted in the blackest black.

5. Lose Yourself- Eminem    
The ultimate pump-up song.

6. Float On- Modest Mouse    
Hope always sits on the other side.

7. Beverley Hills- Weezer    
The song of Friday.

8. Meet Virginia- Train    
The girl that I strive to be.

9. Kryptonite- 3 doors down    
All of my doubts.

10. Wonderwall- Oasis    
Maybe I'll find this someday.

11. Iris- The Goo Goo Dolls    
Hiding myself from the world.

12. Carry On- Fun     ...

Inventory

Police report: Thursday, April 3, 1998

Mae Estelle Graham- Meg? (It was on the backpack) // Age: 15 years tomorrow // resided in Arlington, VA as of Sunday-- Current location unknown

Backpack located abandoned at the edge of Cuyahoga National Park along Route 80 at 11:36 PM, approximately one hour after the fire was extinguished. Singed, but intact. Owner still missing, no body found.

Contents:

* Leather-bound sketchbook

* Pack of Marlboro Cigarettes, a little over half-empty

* Plastic bottle opener, chipped at the edges

* A sleeve of Keebler cheese crackers

* Corona Bottle caps with insides coated in crusted watercolors

* Student ID, expired a year and a half ago

* One way Greyhound ticket to _______ (Location burned- illegible)

Mysteries Abound

Unanswered

We don't know everything. It's human nature to try and tell ourselves that we do, but every once in a while, something reminds us of what we don't know.

How many stars are in the sky?

How long will that star shine before it blows up large and bright, never to be seen again?

How long will I live?

How will I die?

How many species will die off before the end of my life?

Will our ecosystem be changed by the extinction of those animals?

How will the world look in 1,000 years?

In 100? 50? 10? 

How will the world look tomorrow?

How will I look tomorrow?

Will I be different?

Will I be noticed? 

Will I be liked?

Will I like the same things?

Will I be alive?

Will I see the same world that I saw today?

Will there still be the same number of stars as there were today?

We don't know.

We won't know...

Food Writing Competition 2015

Vegtable Garden

The garden is dead. Ever since Grandma went, the garden has been wilted and brown, like the crooked bodies of weary laborers under fading sunlight. We were all so happy when it was alive. When she was alive. But now that she is gone, the garden is, too.

We used to sit in the kitchen of our little cottage, all four of us, Grandma, mom, David, and I. We would sit around Grandma's little table, trying our hardest to ignore the bills glaring at us like a neon sign from the counter. Grandma had taken us in a few years ago, after the divorce. My life turned from a nightmare to a dream in just a few days, all of my struggles left behind in Nebraska. Everything was amazing about my new life, until that day. The day that changed us all.

Grandma, her grey hair swept neatly behind her left ear, seared a juicy pink steak...

Improbable Flavor

Winter

Sharp and bitter, like chewing grapefruit rind.
The sharp knives dull, bitter to sweet.
Icy bubbles pop 
leaving a fresh warmth in my mouth.

Novel Writing Competition 2015

Lost

The sky was dark and heavy, as if a giant's breath was hanging in the heavens. I stared straight ahead, my brain turned to pulp under the flourecent lights. The calculations on the board made absolutely no sense to me; it was all simply lines, lines and more lines. Why am I even trying? 

Suddenly, a switch fipped on in my mind. I needed to read. Now. As if driven by an invisible force, my hand reached into my backpack and pulled out a thick stack of pages wrapped in a soft leather cover.

I began to read. My eyes soaked up the words like a dry sponge deprived of water; my heart's hunger ebbed with each sentence. It was all so perfect, so beautiful, so much better than real life. In here, I could live with the creatures and the monsters and the magic, without having to worry about my scrambled family.

"Miss...

Five Novel Titles

Five Titles

Life through a Mirror

Little Big Girl

How They Colored the Sky

Spirit Breathers

Caverns of Light

Novel Writing Competition 2015

Lost

The sky was dark and heavy, as if a giant's breath was hanging in the heavens. I stared straight ahead, my brain turned to pulp under the flourecent lights. The calculations on the board made absolutely no sense to me; it was all simply lines, lines and more lines. The calculator that I grasped in my small hands felt dead and useless, so unlike books that I had read. Books gave me life.

Suddenly, a switch fipped on in my mind. I needed words. Now. As if driven by an invisible force, my hand reached into my backpack and pulled out a thick stack of pages wrapped in a soft leather cover.

I began to read. My eyes soaked up the words like a dry sponge deprived of water; my heart's hunger ebbed with each sentence. It was all so perfect, so beautiful, so much better than real life. In here, I could live with...

Five Novel Titles

Five Titles

Life through a Mirror

Little Big Girl

How They Colored the Sky

Spirit Breathers

The Immovable Wall

Open Prompt

Captive

We used to be best friends. We used to do everything together. Everything was perfect before the party.

The tiles lining the floor of her new apartment gleamed, and my feet sank into the plush white rug that I was standing upon. Everything about her was perfect. Her gold sequined dress was perfect, her long, wavy hair was perfect, even her french manicure was perfect. I could sense the happiness radiating off of her, warming the whole room as if a comforting fire was burning in a fireplace. I, however, wasn't so lucky.

My old, worn black dress felt dull in comparison to her shimmering gold. Even though I had done my hair and nails to the best of my ability, they still looked sloppy and sad next to her professionally done masterpeieces. Why couldn't I be as perfect, as wealthy, as happy as her? 

And suddenly, I knew that all of...

Ten Words to You

They Speak

A brick road runs.
The pine tree reaches.
I watch.

Birdcage and Buoy

The Reflection

Her house was gone, as was her family.
She had been wandering aimlessly for hours, carrying only a little food and water, a scratchy wool blanket, and a hairbrush. Oh, how she loned for the luxuries of home! The closet fit for  a princess, the warm fluffy, bed, the beautiful decorations- it had all been hers. That was before the storm.

And then it hit, icy claws ripping at the walls, crystal voice howling down the door. It was the worst one yet. Her family was gone. She knew that; she could feel it in her bones. So she ran.

She ran far away, far, far, away, getting nowhere, yet still moving away. She knew that there was no use. She would never escape the frozen world. She kept running.

And then she stopped. There was cold in her soul, freezing her from the inside out. Her heart, her feelings, her desire was frozen....

Fashion Journalism Competition 2015

We Matter

Crip and brown, like fall leaves under a dying sun.
We stand in rows, tall, still, proud.
We matter.
We matter to him, we matter to our country.
We matter.

Red bands burn brightly across our arms.
Deep red, the symbol of hope.
Hope and bloodshed.
The black symbols pop from our bands,
their twisted beauty beckoning.
We matter.

A sea of blond hair.
Thousands of icy blue eyes
stare up at him.
We matter.

Our clothes are perfectly pressed,
perfectly stitched,
perfectly uniform.
The universe is not.
He will save us.
We will save us. 
We matter.
We are Hitler Youth.

That Sort of Person

Little Big Girl

She grew up too fast, but not because she felt like it.
He didn't grow up at all.

Child Narrator

Stop

Darn it. I had forgotten. Again. The walk home from school was short enough, but with Jack tagging along, it could take forever. He had to look at everything- the flowers, the neighbors’ houses, and the worms on the sidewalk. I love him and everything, but he is a bit of a nuisance at times.
    “I’ll just have mom go get him in her car when I get home,” I think to myself, admiring the row of tulips lining Mrs. Plunk’s fence. Everything about this day is perfect. The sky is clear, the air is crisp, the flowers are blooming. I cross the sidewalk quickly, making sure to look both ways. Mom has always taught our family about safety when walking home from school.
    “Always look both ways at the crosswalk!” She says every morning before I set off to school. So that’s what I always do.
    I smile at the rows of houses as I pass,...