Sara Roza

My name is Sara and I love to write. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Interests/ favs include reading, writing (obviously), Stranger Things, Six of Crows, BTS, and Anne with an E
I'm always happy to talk about any of these things or anything else with anyone :)

Creative Nonfiction Competition 2020

When I Realized I'm White

When I was in elementary school there was this thing called CBGs which stood for ‘caught being good.’ It was basically a little slip of paper that students would receive from teachers or staff for ‘being an exemplary student.’ Whether that was doing your homework, standing quietly in line with your hands behind your back, or just not being annoying in general because we all know elementary kids can be very annoying without even trying. Students could then turn in the CBGs for prizes. Lollipops, erasers, or even extra recess for the whole class if you could get enough. In our school, these things were like gold. Everyone wanted them. People would trade Pokemon cards and Pixie sticks for these slips of paper because they could get you out of a homework assignment or earn you five extra minutes on the bean bag. But, this story isn’t about how kids are taught from the age of six that pieces...

Creative Nonfiction Competition 2020

When I Realized I'm White

When I was in elementary school there was this thing called CBGs which stood for ‘caught being good.’ It was basically a little slip of paper that students would receive from teachers or staff for ‘being an exemplary student.’ Whether that was doing your homework, standing quietly in line with your hands behind your back, or just not being annoying in general because we all know elementary kids can be very annoying without even trying. Students could then turn in the CBGs for prizes. Lollipops, erasers or even extra recess for the whole class if you could get enough. In our school, these things were like gold. Everyone wanted them. People would trade Pokemon cards and Pixie sticks for these slips of paper because they could get you out of a homework assignment or earn you five extra minutes on the bean bag. But, this story isn’t about how kids are taught from the age of six that pieces...

Her

I like to think I'm not dumb, but then I go out and do something stupid like get hit with an arrow by cupid.
Well, not literally. At least I don't think. All I know is that she's over there by the punch bowl looking amazing with her green dress and I'm over here in the corner with a camera in my hands trying not to make it obvious I'm staring at her.
The only reason I'm at a school dance anyway is because it's my turn to cover an event for the newspaper. I would rather be at home. Or at the mall. Or literally anywhere else.
But at least she's here.
A group of guys walks up to me and asks to get their picture taken. I halfheartedly raise the camera to my face and press the shutter button. They demand to see the photo and are unsatisfied with the lighting. When I ask them if they even...

The Prince's Sister

The princess was used to elaborate dances. Dancing with men, however, is something she could never grow accustomed to. The feeling of burly, gripping hands on her waist is a feeling she despised. The fact that they always tried to lead even though they were clearly incapable of doing so infuriated her to no ends.
Her current partner tugged her forward and let go of her waist to reposition her arms around his neck. Apparently dominance was a family trait when it came to the leaders of the Kingdom. The princess smirked to herself.
“Is there something amusing you, Your Highness?”
She looked up to see the prince smiling down at her, no doubt thinking she was smitten with him.
She was about to blurt out a sarcastic remark but thought better of it when she imagined her father’s cold, hard stare. “It’s nothing… Your Highness,” she muttered, almost forgetting to add the title.
“Surely it was something,” the prince...

The Fight for Justice

When I Realized I'm White

When I was in elementary school there were these things called CBGs which stood for ‘caught being good.’ It was basically a little slip of paper that students would receive from teachers or staff for ‘being an exemplary student.’ Whether that was doing your homework, standing quietly in line with your hands behind your back, or just not being annoying in general because we all know elementary kids can be very annoying without even trying. Students could then turn in the CGBs for prizes. Lollipops, erasers, or even extra recess for the whole class if you could get enough. I’m telling you this as a preface to my story because it’s important to know that these things were like gold. Everyone wanted them. People would trade Pokemon cards and Pixie sticks for these slips of paper because they could get you out of a homework assignment or earn you five extra minutes on the bean bag. But, this story isn’t...

Letter Writing Competition 2020

To My Future Best Friend

To my future best friend,

I love you. You don't know me and I don't know you, but I love you. We haven't met yet, but I'm hoping we meet soon. I'm tired of not having you around. I need you. I know this because I'm not okay without you. I miss you and the inside jokes we don't have. The starry summer nights we could spend at the lake. The lazy Sunday mall adventure we haven't experienced.  
I get this sounds insane because I've never seen you. I don't know what you look like or your name. You don't know what I look like or myname. Or maybe you do. Maybe we've passed each other in the hallway before. Maybe you were there when I tripped on the sidewalk and fell flat on my face. Maybe you're the girl I saw that was running after her dog at the park. I don't know. Probably not. You could be...

Letter Writing Competition 2020

To My Future Best Friend

To my future best friend,

I love you. You don't know me and I don't know you, but I love you. We haven't met yet, but I'm hoping we meet soon. I'm tired of not having you around. I need you. I know this because I'm not okay without you. I miss you and the inside jokes we don't have. 
I get this sounds insane because I've never seen you. I don't know what you look like or your name. You don't know what I look like or my name. Or maybe you do. Maybe we've passed each other in the hallway before. Maybe you were there when I tripped on the sidewalk and fell flat on my face. Maybe you're the girl I saw that was running after her dog at the park. I don't know. Probably not. You could be anybody. 
I find myself thinking about what you're like. Will you be loud and outgoing? The one who...

The Fight for Justice

When I Realized I'm White

Chapter Four- The Lunch

We walk into the lunchroom side by side. I look around and try to spot Alaia somewhere in the mass of teenagers. I finally spot her at a table. She’s the only one sitting there and is looking around, probably for me. In my head, I curse myself for sounding extremely cocky but I know it’s true when she catches my eye and immediately waves. I start towards her, almost forgetting that Shay is with me. I turn to see her already following me. I get to the table and receive a bone crushing hug from a very excited Alaia.
   “Oh my gosh, you survived the first half of the day! I’m so proud of you!”
I laugh at her ridiculous enthusiasm. “Calm down, it was only a few hours.”
  “I don’t care! You did it! I told you there’s nothing to worry about.”
I’m about to remind her that I still have half the day left when she notices...

Open Prompt

Chapter Three-The Start

I don't got this...
Over the past forty five minutes I have been pushed, shoved, stepped on, and literally sat on. I'm serious. I paused by a desk and someone Sat. On. Me. They didn't even say anything about it. They just looked at me like was the one that was bothering them.
But, whatever. I managed to find my first class and locker so at least that's over with.
The next few classes go by and I can't tell whether they're going by extremely quick or painfully slow. I feel like I've been here for twenty hours but at the same time it feels like it's only been twenty minutes. I honestly think I'm starting to lose the concept of time. No but seriously, who fucking thought of time? Daylight savings time is just proof that time isn't real. Who gets to just randomly fucking decide that we have an hour longer in the day? But, whether...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter One- The Poptart

I’m running.
    Faster than I’ve ever run before.
    I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m running.
    All I hear is my pounding heart, the sound of leaves crunching beneath my feet, and my breath coming in short gasps.
    I trip over a branch causing me to fly face-first into the ground.
    I scream out in pain...no.
    I cry out in pain...no.
    I...howl...out in pain…
Ugh. Why does writing have to be so hard?
Let’s see. Scream, cry, howl...screech? No, too cat like. Wail? No, too baby like. Yelp, shriek, holler? No, all too ‘elementary kid writing a short story about ghosts’ like. Let’s just stick with something I do quite often: cry.
    I cry out in pain.
    Before I know it, I feel sharp nails digging into my back.
    It found me.
    ...

Chapter Two- The Bus

When I step onto the bus I immediately regret my decision of not going back for that poptart. The air is musty, humid, and smells like complete ass. Everyone’s talking. Or, their version of talking, which is more like screaming. Some kids are sitting there looking like they’d rather bang their head against a wall. Same. 
   I make my way to the back of the bus and feel my face tug into a smile when I see Alaia sitting in the last seat with her backpack next to her. I’ve known Alaia since fifth grade and she is my everything. She’s the only person besides Zenny that I can be completely myself around.
  You know sometimes there are those people that you swear were put on this earth to be your guardian angel? Because that’s what Alaia is to me. We met the first day of fifth grade. I was sitting at my desk, not talking to anyone like always,...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter One- The Poptart

I’m running.
    Faster than I’ve ever run before.
    I scream out in pain...no.
    I cry out in pain...no.
    I...howl...out in pain…?
Let’s see. Scream, cry, howl...screech? No, too cat like. Wail? No, too baby like. Yelp, shriek, holler? No, all too ‘elementary kid writing a short story about ghosts’ like. Let’s just stick with cry.
    I cry out in pain.
    It found me.
    I only have a few...

Novel Writing Competition 2019

Chapter One- The Poptart

I’m running.
    Faster than I’ve ever run before.
    I scream out in pain...no.
    I cry out in pain...no.
    I...howl...out in pain…?
    I cry out in pain.
    It found me.
    I only have a few...

Human Connections Essay Competition 2019

Humans are Strange

Just about a year ago I learned that you can't help someone who doesn't want to be helped. I always assumed that everyone can be saved. That as long as you're there for them, they will be ok. But, that's not the case. 
    Humans are really strange. They self destruct and when you try to pick up their pieces they push you away. They say they're fine when they're obviously not fine. Then they go on social media and say that nobody cares even though you asked them about a hundred times what was wrong. Every single time they said nothing. And then they went back in their shell. 
    You tell them to go talk to someone and they say no. Then they make a post about how everything is pointless and life isn't worth living. You ask again what's wrong. They delete the post. 
    You tell them you're there for them even after...

One-Liner

the world

too much to handle

On Courage

Inspired by Aristotle and Dante

It was that night when I fell in your arms
You just held me and stared at the stars
That's when I realized that I've been blind
There is no reason to hide
My love for you is undenied
I'll never be ashamed of loving someone like you
You're like the sun, I'm like the moon
When I shine it's because of you
Although, your light's a warm yellow, mine's a cool blue

Love in Words

i love you

I get this sounds insane because I've never seen you. I don't know what you look like or your name. You don't know what I look like or my name. Or maybe you do. Maybe we've passed each other in the hallway before. Maybe you were there when I tripped on the sidewalk and fell flat on my face. Maybe you're the girl I saw that was running after her dog. I don't know. Probably not. 
    But anyway, to my future best friend, I hope you're well and I hope you like BTS... because it would really suck if...

Killing Her Wasn't Fun

I didn’t want to kill her.
 Really, I didn’t.
 But I felt like I had to.
 So, with some encouraging words from my mother, I killed her. She’s dead, gone, never to be seen again.
 The sad thing is that no one even knew she was here but me. Because of that, nobody’s mourning her. I don’t know whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I mean sure, I don’t want anybody to know that I killed a girl, but sometimes I think of how nice it would be to hear things like “whatever happened to her?” or “how come I haven’t seen her in awhile?.” I know that doesn’t really make any sense since I’m the one that took her life, but it would be nice to have the satisfaction of knowing that other people knew of her existence.
 I still have trouble falling asleep sometimes. The image of her eyes, all watery and pleading, right before...

Novel Writing Competition 2018

I'm Not Crazy

Waking up in a hospital room wasn’t the worst part of my day. Neither was finding out that I had broken two ribs and destroyed my liver. Finding out I almost killed my best friend- now that was the worst part of my day.
    Over the years I’ve done a lot of stupid things. I’ve smokes until my lungs turned black, drank until I couldn’t feel my body, and downed pills until all the colors I saw turned a little more vibrant and the people I talked to turned a little less annoying. But this… this took the cake.
    Now, obviously I didn’t mean to almost kill him. At least, I don’t think I did. I don’t really remember. But, for some reason, I can’t seem to convince anyone that I didn’t do it. I tried and tried. Screamed and begged. Swore that I would never mean to hurt him. But, they don’t believe me.
    Its because...

Personal Narrative Competition 2018

Window Panes and Rainy Days

I love closing windows. And no, that's not some crazy deep metaphor for life or something. I mean it literally. I just love closing windows.
    Especially when it's raining. That feeling I get when I stop the water from pouring into my room and muffle the sound of drops hitting the roof is indescribable.
    Whenever it rains, I run all around my house and open every single window. Then, I sit in the middle of the dining room and listen. I listen to the wind howling, the rain tapping and, if I'm lucky, the thunder rumbling.
    I sit and breathe it all in. Then, I close all the windows one by one. All of the noises slowly get softer and softer, I start feeling safer and safer. I save my bedroom window for last. When I close it, all of the rumbling and rustling goes quiet. It's still there, but it's gentle....

The Prince's Sister

Her current partner tugged her forward and let go of her waist to reposition her arms around his neck. Apparently dominance was a family trait when it came to the leaders of Stormcrest. The princess smirked to herself.
“Surely it was something,” the prince probed....

I swear I didn't kill my best friend

Its because...

Someone Different

She stood out from the crowd because she had a crow on her head. Oh, and also she was floating. But, nobody really cared about that. That was pretty normal for the land of Tonix.
 The crow’s claws were digging into her skull, but she did not seem to mind. She kept her eyes straight ahead and ignored the stares she was getting. Hovering a foot above the ground and having death on your head gives you that sort of confidence, I suppose.
 Just from looking at her, you could tell she had a purpose. She knew what she was doing. She knew what she wanted. She was going to get it. She didn’t care if she had to crush another heart or crack another neck.
 In reality, she didn’t need it. She’d just had a bad day and was looking for something to make her feel better. Some people would choose a hot bath, some a glass of...

Open Prompt

Chapter Three-The Start

My first attempt at an assassination didn’t go very well. It must be a genetic thing. I would usually speak my mind, but with a gun pointing to my head I was a bit apprehensive. The guard was holding me by the throat, squeezing just hard enough for it to hurt. My hands were tied in front of me and I was forced to my knees. “Do you have anything to say, Miss?” Oh, so the guard speaks. “Yes, if I may. Although I’m finding the rifle at my temple is making it a bit hard for me to concentrate.” The guard gives me an amused look and takes the gun away. “I must say that is a lot better. Although, the cement floor is extremely uncomfortable and is hurting my knees. Do you think I could perhaps get a seat? And maybe some water, my throat’s a little dry.”
“Enough!”
That one word echoes down the walls and...