Lumisade

A humble young storyteller who loves sunny days, brightly colored cacti, the ocean, and you.

Hallo!
I'm a young storytellin' gal just over a month shy of being an actual, legal adult . . . that's a scary thought.
My writing passion is fiction/high fantasy, but every now and then I pop out an edgy poem or two about my feelings.
I am also a theatre kid. 100%. If writing is my passion, then acting is my dream.
I just love to tell good stories any way I can.

Cold As Ice

There were tear stains on my face and bruises on my shins as I ran through the woods, trying to find the lake. The moon flickered through the black branches above me, sending the shadows spinning hypnotically through my watery vision. I fell more than once, skinning my knees and piercing my hands on wet roots and sharp sticks. I hardly noticed.
    I felt my muddy shoes sink into soft, sandy soil and collapsed to the ground on the shore, digging my hands into the wet sand. My tears soaked into the river bank and I sobbed, wishing that the sand would swallow me up.
    "Danni?"

I raised my head, and saw him standing there.
    His pale golden hair glowed with more than just the moonlight. His blue eyes were filled with tears, like mine, but his tears were silvery and disappeared when they fell.
    I sat up slowly on my knees...

Love in Words

A Letter To The Tinman

Hey.
I miss you, Tinman.
I'm gonna call you Tinman because that's who you were in the play.

Wow. Where to start?
Well, I guess I already started. "I miss you."
I do. I really do. I'm reminded of how much I miss you every time I feel uneasy, because I never felt uneasy when I was with you.
Like, jeez, man. I don't know what it is about you, but you just made everything so . . . easy.
Talking was easy.
Laughing was easy.
Singing was easy.
Silence was easy.
Everything was easy around you.
We were around each other for how many weeks? Not that many. I mean, rehearsals only happened once or twice a week. For maybe a few months.
But man.
It felt like I'd known you my whole life.
Remember on performance day, we had some time to kill before we had to start getting ready for the performance, so we watched some dumb...

that was one heck of an anxiety attack.

Hey y'all, I just feel like I need to say something.
Earlier today I published a piece titled 'I'm in a lot of pain right now', and I just wanted to give you guys an update on how I'm feeling.
First, let me explain that I struggle with anxiety and depression. Earlier today I had an 'episode' of both at the same time. This 'depriety attack', as I would like to call it, was centered around extreme fear and uncertainty about my future, severe insecurity, and heartbreak over people I care very deeply about but no longer have in my life.   
    This happens every now and then, these sudden attacks when I feel completely overwhelmed by my imperfections and the expectations placed on me by mostly myself, and grief that I have let bottle up inside me. I know that is not a healthy coping mechanism; I haven't really been doing it as much as I used to. In fact,...

I'm in a lot of pain right now. (Warning: stupid edgy rant ahead)

I feel like I'm being burned alive. I'm burning in my personal Hell and no one else can see it and I can't speak a word about it for the sake of what little sanity they seem to think I still have. If I utter a word about it . . . I'll lose myself. They will take my pain, turn it into blades, and cut me apart. Until the real me is finally drowned by expectations, and I become nothing but an empty ghost made out of what everyone else wants me to be.
I know I sound edgy.
I know I sound over-dramatic.
I know it sounds like I'm just seeking attention.

That's what everyone else thinks of me too.

That's what put me in this Hell in the first place.
I don't think anyone's ever taken me seriously in my life.
Not that I can remember.
They do not understand my pain and they don't care enough...

A Hundred and One Lives Lost

"Rhea!"

Grey's voice cut hoarsely through the thick, battle-torn air and reached Rhea's ears. Firing arrow after arrow, her arm growing numb and heavy from the strain, she turned her head and caught Grey's gaze. His eyes had never looked so desperate.
    A shudder of dread ran through Rhea's body; Grey had never been one to admit defeat, but where the fire that before had been ever-present in his eyes, there was now nothing but despair.
    Without the Maiden of Marlwood, they had no hope. But the mighty pine marten warrior's call from her silver reed whistle had not sounded, and while not a single mind on the bloody battlefield dared to suggest it, a dreadful, cold reality had begun to creep into their hearts.
    Antarel of Marlwood and her courageous band of champions were nowhere to be seen, and already the sun was shrouded by the clouds of the coming storm that Antarel herself had predicted the...

A Hundred and One Lives Lost

"Rhea!"

Little "I love you"s

the color blue
light or dark, faded or sharp
reminds me of you.
ukulele songs
strummed and sung, light like the sun
remind me of you.
sweet bright cacti
blue and green, the painted scene
reminds me of you.
everything beautiful
starry night skies, dark brown eyes
remind me of you.

send me a smile
in faded color
folded, wrinkled, sunlit hue
the blue sky behind
the warm dancing light
a picture of me and darling you.

How'd you get up there so high?
Oh, right.
Because my heart decided
To put you up there
Among the stars
Because you were too bright for my aching eyes.

I knew I was in trouble
the day that every single love song in the world . . .
. . . was suddenly about you.

You caught my eye . . . . . . and I had to freeze time.
Because there was nothing else besides you.

This Is What I Have To Give Up

The waves wash upon the shore in front of me. The sand is warm and soft. The sun sets and paints pink into the blank canvas clouds.
I don't think I've stopped smiling once today. My heart feels weighted down with joy, if that's possible. But at the same time, light as a smile, light as a sunbeam.
There's laughter in the background; you're all there a little ways behind me. I just need a moment, I said. I'm okay, I just want to watch the ocean for a minute.
I'm here. I shake my head in wonder. I can't believe I'm here.
I hear soft footsteps behind me, but I don't look up quite yet, assuming they aren't directed towards me.
"Hey."
Your voice startles me out of my ocean-held trance and suddenly makes me very aware of every beat of my heart. (There are quite a lot of them).
I look up at you and smile quickly as...

how do you spell the gnashing of teeth

I swear I'd kiss you if I could
I'd give my entire nothing of a life to kiss you
Because I feel like my life isn't anything
If I never buck up and kiss you

But I can't.
I know I can't.
So I'll hide my eyes in fear
because if I look at you for too long

I think I'll die.

Little "I love you"s

the color blue
light or dark, faded or sharp
reminds me of you.
ukulele songs
strummed and sung, light like the sun
remind me of you.
sweet bright cacti
blue and green, the painted scene
reminds me of you.
everything beautiful
starry night skies, dark brown eyes
remind me of you.

I dream in color
sharp and blinding
blurry and faded
but when I dream of you
soft and blue
dark violet through
and I know it's you . . .
                        . . . my heartbeat hue

send me a smile
in faded color
folded, wrinkled, sunlit hue
the blue sky behind
the warm dancing light
a picture of me and darling you.

How'd you get up there so high?
Oh, right.
Because my heart decided
To put you up there
Among the stars

I knew I was in trouble
the day that every single love song in the...

Little "I love you"s

Once your laugh brought tears to my eyes because . . .
it was all I wanted to hear.

I dream in color
sharp and blinding
blurry and faded
but when I dream of you
soft and blue
dark violet through
and I know it's you . . .
                        . . . my heartbeat hue

send me a smile
in faded color
folded, wrinkled, sunlit hue
the blue sky behind
the warm dancing light
a picture of me and darling you.

How'd you get up there so high?
Oh, right.
Because my heart decided
To put you up there
Among the stars

I knew I was in trouble
. . . was suddenly about you.

A Fellow Weirdo Doing #weirdo'sQ&A

I love this Q&A a great deal, the questions are so fun!! Thank you weirdo for putting this together!

1. What's the weirdest conversation you've had with yourself? 
    Probably back when I was 13 and had a huge crush on Donatello from the 2012 Nickelodeon TMNT and I would ramble on to myself about how awesome and amazing and adorable he was.
. . . did I actually just type that out loud?
    I kind of despise my younger self. XD
2. What's the most ridiculous story concept you've come up with, that somehow worked? 
    A mouse war.
    It's not so ridiculous if you love the Redwall series as much as I do. Which is, in fact, a ridiculous amount. Especially for a 17-year-old.
3. What's your unusual pet peeve? 
    People clucking their tongues.
    Also in writing when people say 'should of' instead of the actually, grammatically correct 'should have' or...

Hey fellow Christians. Listen up.

Yo.
If you're a Christian like me, stick around. I got something to say.
I'm about to make a few statements that might seem contradictory to what some of the Christian community would like you to believe, but if you look in the Bible, you'll find that I'm right.
So here goes. Listen up.
It is not up to you to make judgments on other people's lifestyles.
It is not your place to condemn others.
It is not your duty to "save" them.
You want to disagree with someone else's lifestyle choices? Fine. That's totally okay. Do that. The world won't want you to disagree with them, but it is absolutely within your rights as a human being to disagree with another person's choices.
But you think it's okay to condemn them? You think you have the right to tell them how to live their lives? Honey, back off. That is not your calling. That is not what you're supposed...

The Legend Of Evernight: Preview

I am not a queen.
    Rhea furiously rubbed the dry, earthy mixture of ash and clay into the ruff of pale fur across her front and the soft pale velvet of her ears. If she had any hope of escaping the suffocating walls of the palace tonight, she had to act swiftly.
    She snatched a ragged moss-colored cloak from underneath her goose-down bed, threw open the window through which the moonlight shone beckoningly, crept out onto the ornate sill, and slid down the creeping vine that grew along the palace walls.
    She fancied herself a swashbuckler of sorts, and wished she were allowed—or able to find—a belt and dagger to conceal under her cloak. But not simply to satisfy her fantasy; a dagger would not be so ridiculous a thing to have where she was going.
    When she reached the ground, she pulled her cowl over her head, wrapped her cloak tightly around herself, and scampered from shadow to shadow...

The Legend Of Evernight: Preview

I am not a queen.

The Legend Of Evernight: Preview

I am not a queen.

please, please, please don't go

I guess you can see the stars pretty great from where you are.
Is it everything you wanted, everything you dreamed?
I guess you can see everything, everything, from way up there.
Well, take another look, because it’s not as perfect as it seems.

Can you see your mom, who’s lost it all?
You were everything she had, but you tore all that away.
Can you see her on her knees, beside your bed . . .
But she’s crying too hard to pray?

Can you see the kids at school,
the ones who you thought hated you,
because they never talked to you,
but really they’re just as scared as you?

They all want to get away,
and now you’ve shown them how to escape.
You knew that they would understand,
and now you’ve just put blades in their hands.

You would have seen them all if you ever stopped to look around . . .
but no, you...

I wish you weren't dead.

Connor used to have dreams.
“If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?”
I drew my hand thoughtfully across the cool concrete, trying to draw an answer from the rough texture that sparkled against my hand..
“The ocean,” I said uncertainly. The buzzing lamppost above bathed us in a faint light. I looked up to it. “I’ve never seen the ocean.”
Connor was silent, but it was a comfortable silence. He was gazing up at the ebony sky, and capturing all of the stars in his dark eyes.
“I think I’d go somewhere high up,” he said softly, as if he were afraid his words would chase away the sincerity. “A mountain.”
“Why?” I asked.
“Because . . . I could see so many stars up there.” His voice held a far-off, dreamy tone.
“And,” he continued, tearing his gaze from the starry sky and looking into my eyes. “I’d want you to come with me.” ...

please, please, please don't go

Can you see her on her knees, but she’s crying too hard to pray?

Can you see the kids at school,
the ones who you thought hated you,
because they never talked to you,

They all want to get away,
You knew that they would understand,

but no, you thought if you fell, you wouldn’t...

I wish you weren't dead.

Connor used to have dreams.
“Why?” I asked.

One More Moment

Just give me one more moment
To sit next to you
To feel the warmth of your laughter
Cascade over me like sunlight

Just give me one more moment
To sing with you
To lift my voice with courage
And smile as it intertwines with yours

Just give me one more moment
To belong with you
To stay forever at your side
And share secret glances and smiles only we could understand

Just give me one more moment
To hold on
Hold onto the sunlight and the song
The secrets and the smiles and everything in between

Just
one
more . . .

Because I just can't bear to let you go.

Need Me Some Good Fantasy

Hey! Hey hey hey!

I'm really bored! I want something to read and review! Do you write something within or similar to the fantasy genre? I WANNA READ IT! Let me know in the comments! Bonus points if it has a romantic subplot! Because I'm a total sucker!

OKay love y'all bye!!!!

Op-Ed Competition 2019

Hi. I Have Been Hurt By Vaccines

Hello.
I am Lumi. I am 17. I am unvaccinated. And I do not plan to change that, because vaccines almost destroyed my mind.
When I was an infant, my mother vaccinated us kids. She had begun to doubt the validity of the claims drug companies made that vaccines are totally harmless, but she hadn't done enough research yet to justify not vaccinating me. So to the doctor's office we went.
I'm told I was about 8 months old when I received the vaccine that would damage parts of my mind and shape how I think and function for the rest of my life. It was a hepatitis vaccine.
Less than an hour after receiving the vaccine, my mom noticed that something was very wrong with infant me. My whole body broke out into a horrible, red rash. And I started crying, and didn't stop. Now before you roll your eyes and say something like, "Babies cry, big deal. It's...

Love in Words

A Letter To The Tinman

Hey.
I miss you, Tinman.

Wow. Where to start?
I do. I really do. I keep being reminded of how much I miss you every time I feel uneasy.
Because I never felt uneasy when I was with you.
Talking was easy.
Laughing was easy.
Singing was easy.
Silence was easy.
Everything was easy around you.
But man.
Remember on performance day, we had some time to kill before we had to start getting ready for the performance, so we watched...

Hi. I have been hurt by vaccines.

Hello.

My Favorite Trope

"Just hold on a little longer, okay? He's gone. The bad man's gone. We'll be home soon. And my mom, she'll get you your own bed, and you can eat as many Eggos as you want. And . . . and we can go to the Snowball."
". . . promise?"
". . . promise."

An excerpt from Stranger Things. (The rest of this piece contains possible spoilers for both seasons of Stranger Things)

This is what I like to call a Binding Promise, and it's one of my favorite tropes in media. I've done some extensive analyzing on the underlying psychology going on in these situations, and now I'm going to do my best to explain it.

We've all seen this before. The situation is dire. The hero is losing the battle. There's no way out this time. The monster is closing in on them, and everything they've tried up to this point has failed. They are not strong...

like laughter

but I will stay here
in between the glass
and the sand
and the blue

here
the birds call
the clouds question
everything is like
laughter

like a teardrop
but no sorrow
like a storm
but no fear

and I will keep this
circled round me
in between the glass
where the sand
and the blue
are here.

and we will belong.

shatter is okay
shatter is okay
shatter is okay

don't break, don't crash, don't stop, don't fall.

but shatter, shatter, shatter
It's okay, it's okay, it's okay.

Just come back.

I will shatter for you, and when we put ourselves together again

One will orbit the other
and we will belong.

the heavens have stopped

the betrayal was swift and shocking
and silent

could you . . . could you . . . break me . . . break me?

The breaking of the sun through the clouds

the secret, so long kept
but nothing is set in stone

The heavens have stopped.
It is only you.

There

the secret was hers
hidden in whispers, hopeful tears
gifts of visions graced her longing
He was there . . .

but she wasn't
not yet.

The Storyteller: Chapter 1

The rising sun marked a month since the day the storyteller had arrived.

And Rowan understood him no better than when he had first laid eyes on him.
There wasn't really anything unusual about how the odd lad had arrived at the inn—alone and unannounced—since most travelers arrived in the same way. But there were other curious matters that made the whole ordeal seem quite out of the ordinary.
The storyteller could not be much older than Rowan's own fourteen winters, but he sauntered gaily into the inn, unaccompanied, and appearing quite sure of himself. After requesting food and board for “a month to start with, perhaps longer,” and procuring a satchel containing enough coins for a year's worth of board, an amount which no lad his age should have in his possession, the innkeeper questioned the boy suspiciously on what sort of business he had in Bryton, and how he had come by such a wealthy purse. But the...

Important Announcement from Finnegan

"Most folks don't know where to find kalder flowers, or they think they know and they're too afraid to try. But all that's stuff and legend.”
“All what's stuff and legend?”
“You've never heard the tales? Oh, well, some folks have foolish imaginations, you know. Some say kalder flowers only grow from ground that has been scorched by dragon-fire. Some say they only grow where faeries have died. Some even say they only grow where stars have fallen from the sky, if you can believe that. It's all nonsense, though. Kalder flowers grow wherever they bloody well want to, and probably wish folks would stop meddling around in their affairs.”

I Just Logged On . . .

. . . and I had 32 notifications.

Goodness gosh.

It made me deliriously happy.

Thank you to everyone for your extremely kind and encouraging words about my works!!!! It means the world to me!

A blushing, stuttering, giggling mess

I'm dancing in the mirror
And I've never seen myself smile so brightly
Spinning and dreaming and giggling in between
It's because of you, you know

For the first time ever, I'm not just in love with you
I'm in love with myself too.

I blush, I stutter, but it's okay
I don't mind; it's who I am

I'm in love with the whole world and their smiles
Their bright eyes and laughter
But it's you whom I always come back to
Chasing your mirage around infinite possibilities

In a way, I miss you
But I haven't met you

It's all right, though
I've always tried to hurry things along
But this time, I'll wait
God's timing couldn't be more perfect

In the meantime, I'll keep dancing, dreaming, smiling
Leaping and bounding, laughing and crying
I know you'll sweep me off my feet one day
And we'll dance the world away

The Stupid Process of Writing

Me: Uuuughghg what is wrong with me?? Why can't I get out of this writer's bloooccckk I'm literally dyinggggg Kit is dying, Cat is dying, Finn is dying and I'm killing themmmmmmmmomigod, how can I get outtttt???

My brain, my family, my cat, God, literally every other writer ever: Just write! :D Even if it comes out kinda sloppy, just write and inspiration will flow out of you! Don't be afraid! Just write words!! :D

Me: ????sounds too sketch, that can't be it.

~~~~Several hours, days, weeks, or months of intense apathy later~~~~

Me, crying, hands shaking over keyboard, sweating blood: I can't do this anymore. I don't know what's wrong with me. Or what demon has a hold on me. But I'm dying. So . . . I'm gonna try it.

*types a sentence*

*inner world bursts into life and flows out effortlessly through fingers onto OpenOffice* *sunlight breaks through the clouds and comes to rest on my shoulders*...

The Melody Of My Longing

Every day is harder than the last
Harder it becomes, to dream of your eyes looking into my own soulful windows--
--and being the first to face their chasms.

I would fall into your hidden depths
Bravely, wonderfully, longingly
And spend my eternity lost in their worlds

My fondest wish is to breathe you in
Until there's no distinction between where you end
And I begin

Mountains, valleys, rivers lie between us
And yet . . .
The melody of my longing ties my heart to yours

The tie is cut and torn by fear
Fear that it will soon be severed,
And the melody bleeds until it lies in discordant ribbons

But still I would never forget, never want to forget
No, the Promethean wound shall bleed for my eternity--
For pain becomes sweet when it is all you can feel

I would give myself up to the chasms of your eyes
And save you from their loneliness
Dear...

Chemistry

I feel a pull
A whisper, a flutter
I take a risk--
And there you are
Both afraid
But neither will say
And so, a silence
But the whisper remains.

"Do you see me?"
"I've always seen you."

Like magnets, like static
Polarized hearts
Pulled together
And thrust apart

Bound by the fear
Of losing the chance
Can we just go on dreaming?
Continue the dance . . .

. . . pushing and pulling,
And never know why
Our wings are not broken
But we're too scared to fly

"What if you forget me?"
"How could I forget you?"

I may be afraid, but I can't let you go . . .

So as long as the pull of your gaze beckons me,
We might as well try to explore this chemistry.

Monostich

Reunion

I longed to see you, and when you walked in, my heart began to beat again.

The Storyteller (Excerpt)

“The Lion stood atop the ruins of the Prince's fallen palace, His outstretched wings shimmering as light broke through the cursed shadow that the Prince had tried to shroud the world in, tried and failed. But still the Prince himself stood before the Lion, daring to defy Him.”

The young storyteller paused, smiling inwardly at the looks of rapt attention sparkling in the eyes of his listeners. The motley band of wide-eyed young ones hardly dared to breathe, for fear of disrupting his captivating tale. He continued on, his voice rising and falling in dramatic crescendos that further enthralled his audience.

“In a final attempt to destroy Kadrin, the Lion's beloved world and all the light inside it, the Prince summoned every last tendril of darkness that remained in himself and, bearing it in his clawed hand, raised it to strike. But, instead of casting it toward the mighty Lion, he struck the ground beneath him with a furious roar,...

Chemistry

I feel a pull
A whisper, a flutter
I take a risk--
And there you are
Both afraid
But neither will say
And so, a silence
But the whisper remains.

"Do you see me?"
"I've always seen you."

Like magnets, like static
Electric hearts
Pulled together
And thrust apart

Bound by the fear
Of losing the chance
Can we just go on dreaming?
Never know . . .

No.

As long as the pull of your gaze beckons me,

A Question For My Fellow Fiction Writers

At what point do your favorite original characters . . . become imaginary friends?

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Ethereal

Tell me, young one.

How did you die?

My eyes opened, but I was not awake.
Colors ran in gentle rivulets before my eyes without chaos, in a visible harmony. A galaxy of color, with me in the center.

How did you die?

For one panicked moment, the familiar pain flashed before me. I fought the urge to cry out. I had learned long ago never to utter a sound when the monster came for me. My voice shook in answer.

“A monster killed me.”

The whole world around me shuddered and sighed, as if in sorrow.

Indeed.

The colors faded into softer, deeper, soothing waves. They swirled around me, some of the stars catching in my hair.

You have suffered much, young one. Too much for you to bear alone.

The world shifted into an ethereal sea of stars and swirling galaxies. Tears sprang to my eyes, but I couldn't understand why. My soul shuddered in reverence.

You bear...

Dorky Writing Prompts!

"Hey, listen. I didn't die so that you could spend the rest of your miserable life missing me. I died so that you could forget."
"I'd forget how to breathe before I forgot you."

~

"Hey, just so we're clear, I still have to kill you later."
"Why don't you just do it now?"
"I dunno, you seem kinda cool."

~

"Why do you wear that hat all the time?"
"I trust this hat more than I trust my own mother."
"You're mother's in prison. For fraud."
"Oh, right. Bad example."

~

"Out of every single other stupid human being you could have picked, you decided I was the most attractive. You're an idiot."
"That wasn't very poetic, but I love you too."

~

When It's Cold I'd Like To Die (Ending)

“El, El . . . you're here . . .” Mike cried brokenly as he held on to Eleven for dear life. He would never, never let her go, never lose her again.
Eleven clung to him desperately, sobbing and shaking. She was safe in his arms. She was safe.
After what seemed like a terribly finite eternity, they pulled away, but only far enough to see the other's eyes clearly, still clinging to each other.
“You're okay . . .” Mike smiled tearfully, reaching up and brushing tears from her face.
Eleven couldn't speak, only sobbed anew at this act of tenderness.
“I was so scared . . . I thought I'd never see you again . . . but you're here! You're here!” Something between a laugh and a sob broke from his chest, and he pulled her in again, wanting never to let go.
But . . . she knew something he didn't.
“Mike, Mike . ....

Love in 13 Words

You Caught My Eye . . .

. . . and I had to freeze time because there was nothing else besides you.

Ethereal (Not really a chapter)

Fall was always my favorite season. It was cold, but I was used to being cold, and the colors were warm enough to make you forget about the cold, for a little while. They were so beautiful. There was a park in the middle of the city; I loved to go there, and watch the brilliant, rose-colored leaves, the bright, surprising yellow leaves, and the warm orange leaves that looked like licks of flame fall from the trees. They carpeted the ground thickly, and rustled wonderfully when you stepped on them.
I could see the brightly colored treetops from the roof upon which we stood. Maybe later I could show them to Cat . . .
“Cat, what are we doing here?” I asked quietly. We had been standing on the roof of an apartment building for almost ten minutes, doing nothing. But Cat was silent. She stood motionless, her eyes closed. I watched her. Several minutes passed. Then she...

Ethereal (Chapter Two)

Awaken, young one, for Yahweh has delivered you from evil;
Awaken, broken one, for the Lord God has made you whole;
Awaken, brave one, for yours is the heart of a warrior;
Awaken, loved one, for the Almighty has called you to his side.”

Singing.
New words from a new voice. They pulled me, carried me through the blinding light and held me, warm and safe.
I was waking up.
But I was afraid to open my eyes.
I didn't want to wake up. I didn't want to return to a world of pain and suffering. I didn't want to be alive.
But suddenly, I didn't have a choice.
“AWAKEN.”
With the sound of the new voice came a touch on my forehead, and a current of energy jolted through me, like an electric shock. A flash of life, and I was suddenly, dreadfully aware of my existence once more. I gasped, my first breath back in the real...

In Motion

On Wings Of Sky

Vertigo rush
Quickened beat
A quiet hush,
Heart in sync

Crystal sliver,
Wind shear
Cirrus shiver
No fear

Eyes bright
Wide in wonder
Ebony night
Songs and thunder

Hidden refuge
Mouth agape
Violet deluge
Silent escape

To worlds anew,
On wings of sky,
In indigo hue,
I wish to fly.

Meet Kit!

I have found a way to combat writer's block!

Kit was getting rather frustrated with my apathy, so I decided to conduct an interview with him and develop him a little. If anyone's interested, here's what we discussed! Keep in mind, he's a fourteen-year-old boy.
(Also, feel free to use these questions for your own character development; they're not mine)

1. Do you have a cat? (barely containing laughter) Yes, I have a Cat.
  2. How many cats do you have? Just one. (grinning)
  3. Do you wish you were a cat? Well, I've never really thought about it, but I think I'm okay the way I am. Cats are really interesting, though.
  4. Do you go our for lunch or bring a sack lunch? Well . . . I don't really . . . eat. Anymore. I don't need to.
  5. Do you take an extra long lunch break and charge the company? (blinks) what . . .?
  6. Are you an only child? ...

For You, I Would

Sometimes I think you'll never know
How much I'd do for you
Unless I did it.

Sometimes I think you'd only understand
How much I would give for you
If I gave it all.

A bullet through my heart
That was meant for yours.

A quicksilver blade,
Flashed for you, but bit me.

Steel teeth, biting scarlet.
Blood spilled, flesh torn.

Maybe then, as the life died in my eyes,
You'd see the love that's there for you
That's always been, and always will be

Maybe then, through crystalline tears
Frozen in time, as I slipped away,
You'd understand what I could never find words to say.

For you, I would.

For you, my darling, my dear . . .

I would.

Ethereal

This story begins with death.

My death, to be precise. And it ends with life.

Not the usual order, I know.

I was fourteen.

Pretty young to die. Pretty young to be all alone. Pretty young to already know that monsters, the terrifying beings that young children so fear, are not imaginary.

Monsters are very real.

I staggered blindly away from the monster's darkened den, leaving scarlet trails shimmering behind me. Blood dripped down into my eyes from a wide gash that striped across my forehead, left there by the broken glass fragments of a bottle. My shirt, a ragged blue hoodie, was now stained a dark, deathly shade of red and hung in tatters. I stumbled and leaned against a cold brick wall, my numb legs trembling beneath my dead weight.
A small whimper escaped my dry, cracked lips. I felt a searing pain across my chest and saw that my shirt had been torn through, and a long,...

I'm Doing It Again

"Hurry up!" Kit cries
"Open your mind!
I'm stuck here, you know
Just please, write a line!"

When It's Cold I'd Like To Die

“Direct hit! Will the Wise's fireball hits the Thessalhydra! It makes a painful 'RREEAAGGHH!' And then, it crumples to the ground!” Mike Wheeler fell into a writhing heap on the floor of the dimly lit basement as Dustin, Lucas and Will watched in triumphant elation, buoyed up by their friend's hilarious enactment.
“It's clawed hand reaches for you one last time, and, and, and, and!” In a dramatic climax, Mike fell limply in a pretense of death as the boys shouted in victory, clapping and chanting and dancing around the room. Mike returned to his chair and continued his narration.
“Lucas cuts off the seven heads, and Dustin places them into his bag of holding. You carry the heads out of the dungeon victorious, and you present them to King Tristan. He thanks you for your bravery and service.”
“Whoa, whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, that's not it, is it?” Dustin objected.
“No, there's a medal ceremony—”
“Oh, a medal...

Excerpt from Ethereal

"Listen. Close your eyes and listen."

Curious, I closed my eyes and stood perfectly still next to her. I listened, and heard the world going on around us as it always did. The sounds of civilization pulsed and hummed throughout the surrounding atmosphere. But I had learned to shut that out. After years of living in the midst of it, it was nothing but white noise. Straining to hear more, I listened to the sounds of the soft breeze dancing and weaving around us, and I could even hear the it playing in the treetops in the park, rustling the leaves and carrying them lightly as they descended to the ground. It made me smile; I loved that place.

“It's beautiful, isn't it?”

My wispy reverie faded at the sound of Cat's voice; I opened my eyes and glanced at her. She stood with her hands tucked into her jacket pockets and her head lifted to the breeze as it...

Family Ties, Anyone?

"That-that's what I do with the problems in my life. I analyze them, study them . . . and make them bigger."

Same, Alex P. Keaton. Same.

I'm Afraid That You're My Everything

I can't just pretend
That you don't mean the world to me
I love you, I love you, I love you

But then--

It doesn't matter, does it?

I am but a single, dying star
And you are a galaxy
Too much, too much, too much
For me to hold, to know

You've never been mine to lose--
But I fear losing you, all the same

“In January”

In January

January is quiet
After the debut, still new
Have we really begun yet?
Some still cling, afraid of letting go
Others forget, afraid to hold on

But we hide our anguish, while others are joyful
Or, in our ecstasy, we drown out the quiet cries for mercy
Who is afraid?
Most won't say.
But on it goes.

Ain't that just the way?

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Ethereal

Tell me, young one.

How did you die?

My eyes opened, but I was not awake.

How did you die?

“A monster killed me.”

Indeed.

You bear...

Sapphire Tides (A poem that wants to be a song)

I see your face in an ocean of stars
Violet tides, ebony skies
Galaxies part, be still my heart
I'll sail the night sky
With you by my side

Take my hand, let's fly again
On wings of wonder, clouds and thunder
Hearts alight, just hold me tight
As we sail through the skies on sapphire tides

Oh, come fly with me to the edge of the world
Take heart, my dear, for my own heart is yours
Enchantment, adventure,
I see us together
Entangled forever in sapphire tides
In the blink of an eye
Your dear heart and mine
Entangled forever in sapphire tides