Titi

Nigeria

Writing has always been a means to escape reality for a little while. Glad to be with people who understand how that feels.

Personal Narrative Competition 2018

Beyond Three Strikes

I open the door, take a step outside, turn back inside, and run back into my room.
This was my story for a year before I solved me.
I wasn't always like that. I was fun, bubbly and happy.
I moved.
Not 'we' mind you, but 'I'.
I went to another place, no, country, continent even, and left the rest of me behind.
My story may not seem dire at all,as I merely left the comfort of home - Nigeria - and went to the United Kingdom to continue my studies. In fact, the ones I left behind might say I was being ungrateful as I traded a developing country for a highly developed one. Maybe I was being thankless, but they wouldn't understand the hurdles I had to go through to find the whole of me again.

It began with the stares,
Did my braids look messy? Did my skin appear ashy?
I was obviously different and there was...

Personal Narrative Competition 2018

Beyond Three Strikes

I moved.
Not 'we' mind you, but 'I'.
My story may not seem dire at all,as I merely left the comfort of home - Nigeria - and went to the United Kingdom to continue my studies. In fact some might say I was being ungrateful as I traded a developing country for a highly developed one, but they wouldn't understand the hurdles I had to go through to find the whole of me again.

It began with the stares,
I was obviously different and there was no way to hide this, hide me.

Strike one. ...

Food Writing Competition 2018

Food as a means of transportation

I have a secret
I've had it for quite a while now, and I have decided that it is time to reveal it to the whole world.
Do you remember when teleportation first appeared in science fiction literature and we were all impressed, thinking of the numerous things we would do if technology ever advanced to that point? Well, the truth is, we cracked teleportation ages ago and it has nothing to do with science and technology but everything to do with food.

When you look up the definition of food, it simply gives you the 'nutrition' definition. It's obviously true that food is a nutritious substance eaten by humans to maintain life and growth, but it's so much more than that, and this is what most people fail to recognise. Food is a journey, from the process of preparation right down to serving and eating. Food wields a powerful ability that can take you either through time or...

Friendship Tweet

It's in the eyes

Not an acquaintance, but someone who knows me slightly better than I do, as though I am blind to my own fault, the all- seeing eye of friendship should be able to see where I'm crooked and set me straight. No words needed to communicate, but a glance or wink is simply enough.

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Draicken

"I have slain wolves and captured beasts, why can't I defeat this pestiferous being?" I mutter angrily. You see, I was the only female warrior in my clan and I was determined to show the archaic elders that I was ready for "real battle". This monster has never been seen, but one could tell by the huge claw marks in the ground, the plagues and burnt crop, that this was a creature we hadn't encountered before. I remove my helmet and step into the elders' tent. 

"Another failed mission, Draiken?" said Cassius, the chief elder.

I clench my fist, but keep a passive expression on my face. "I tracked it as far as I could, but yesterday's rains washed away its footprints and scent. If I could just be given few days to...".

"You're dismissed", 
a deep voice rang clearly into the room.
I knew that voice, and knew it would do no good to argue, there was only one...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Draicken

"I have slayed dragons and captured beasts, why can't I defeat this simple thing?" I mutter angrily. You see, I was the only female warrior in my clan and I was determined to show the elders that I was ready for "real battle". Songs have been sang about my victories and tales of my journeys, so you will understand why something as little as this was getting on my nerves, especially when it was standing between me and my goal. I remove my armour and head towards the elders' tent. 

"Another failed report I presume?"

I clenched my fist, but smiled as bright as I could. "I traced it as far as I could, but yesterdays rains washed away its tracks and scent. If I could just be given few days to...".

"You're dismissed", 
I knew that voice, and knew it would do no good to argue,there was only one way to...

Love in 13 Words

It's not blind.

I am invisible, yet he saw me when no one could see me.