DanaG

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemingway

Lessons

The most important lessons that you will ever learn as a teenage girl are not the ones in your textbooks.

The most important lessons that you will ever learn as a teenage girl are the ones that you have to teach yourself. 

You teach yourself how to assemble an outfit for the first day of school that isn’t too much. 

You teach yourself how to make new friends without coming across as too weird. 

You teach yourself how to dress out in the locker room and not make yourself feel too exposed, but it takes a while. 

You pour oceans into your diary and teach yourself that you are greater than a backstabbing Snapchat post.

You learn how to stand up for yourself because nobody else is going to do it for you.

When they call you a witch, you teach yourself how to summon languages out of boys they did not know they could speak.

You learn to look...

An Ode to Short Teenage Girls

It took me a while to learn that being one of the shortest in your grade is nothing to be embarrassed about. 

If someone holds my dreams too high, I'll kick them in the stomach to reach them.

If someone uses my head as an armrest, I'll kung-fu pin them to the ground and crown them my future employee. 

I am a descendant of queens, of empresses, of conquerors. 

I have a face of steel and the glare of an animal ready to pounce. I bleed the blood of warriors.

I do not rely on other people's swords to slay dragons, because I carry my own. 

I do not need caffeine to fuel me, my heart beats from the fire in my veins. 

I am fearless.

I am ambitious. 

I am power and I am beauty crammed into five foot one. 

And I do not come with an apology letter. 

An Ode to Short Teenage Girls

If someone holds my goals too high, I'll kick them in the stomach to reach them, and happily skip away. 

If someone uses my head as an armrest, I'll kung fu pin them to the ground and crown them my future employee. 

My height has taught me to love myself when it seemed, some days, that nobody else did. 

All for You

I have willingly morphed my face for you.
I have buried my skin under concealer for you. 
I have picked at my hairs for you. 
I have scrubbed at my skin until it peeled for you. 
I have partaken in your endless lists
of detoxes and diets until no more meat comes out of me.
I have drowned myself in your perfumes.
I have painted my nails like sweet candy for you.
I have given myself skin cancer for you. 
I will go under the knife for you. 
I change my outfit six times a day for you. 
I want to look like you. 
I have given my freedom to you
so that you can make a buck. 

Please take my money,
stab at my insecurities,
and tell me that I am beautiful. 

Y'all I want to write a novel

OK SO

I have been wanting to write a novel FOR THE LONGEST TIME I SWEAR

but

your girl doesn't have ideas. 

GIVE ME YOUR IDEAS/PROMPTS PLEASE

thank you :)

Unconventional

i tried to give this a title but i didn't like it so this is the title now

why do we always end up 

destroying

ourselves

why do we

focus

on making more

instead of fixing

what we have already done

why will we do anything

for the promise of getting a 

green piece of paper

why do we ignore

what needs help

and why do we choose

to fight with each other instead

why is humanity like this

why do we not choose to

change our actions

in ways that help us 

rather than continue 

to pile up our problems

why are we like this

The Sounds of My Genetics

I am a descendant of the mariachis,
of coarse fingers strumming guitarrones,
of squealing trumpets making hips sway,
of powerful voices belting out their stories,
of laughter, cheering, and clapping.

I am the shoes of flamenco bailarinas,
click-clacking in perfect rhythm
against hard wooden floors,
while their dresses engulf them
in the most fluorescent of colors.

I am the booming tambores,
pulsing and pounding
with people’s pumping heartbeats.

There are certain sounds that reside in my DNA.

These symphonies course through my blood.
They find shelter in my veins.

Generations upon generations travel through me.

I am found in this magnificent music,
and this music is found within me.

Limelight

She was in the limelight. 
His eyes were affixed on her hourglass curves
And candy apple lips
Calling out to him, 
Luring him,
Among the crowd of kids
Dancing around to blaring music
And holding solo cups
Filled with the most delicious of poisons. 
And yet, 
He kept watching     
As she firmly grasped her new lover's hand, 
Because she was a famous actress
And he, merely a member of the audience. 
Everybody wanted a picture with her. 
Everybody wanted her autograph. 
Everybody would only dream of getting a kiss from her. 
She looked at her new lover with adoring eyes. 
He looked at her the same way. 
If only. 

25 Words

A Wish

Amidst the chaos, she stepped outside of her humble abode, gazed her big brown eyes up to the glimmering stars, and wished for something wonderful. 

The Limerick

Limerick!

On this website was a girl 
Who saw this prompt and gave it a whirl
The ideas in her brain
Were boring and plain 
And they wanted to make her hurl. 

Monostich

I made monostiches wow

1. He opened and closed his hand, wondering why nobody else would hold it. 
2. Her bitter lemonade mouth wasn't sweet enough for others. 
3. Snapping fingers followed the end of her artwork. 
4. Broken vases and despair had shaped her childhood. 
5. My roots extend to countries far from here. 

The Unknown

The Art of Shutting Your Mouth

I do not know much about being quiet.
In fact, my life's motto has always been
"Be an elaborately decorated cupcake in
a world full of mundane muffins." 
This does not mean that I do not enjoy
the confectionery wonder of banana nut flavored pastries,  
but that all my life I could not seem to hide from the spotlight. 
I was not able to camouflage into coy crowds
who just wanted to make it through the school year.
I was the one who always volunteered to go first 
when presenting science fair projects, 
and was the one who loved doing the morning announcements over the school intercom
because the entire school was able to hear me (how cool!). 
I was the one who dressed however she wanted to dress, whether I felt like wearing a 
NASA t-shirt with a flower crown and pretzel earrings or a
50's looking yellow polka dot dress and Converse sneakers.
I was the weird little...

*shouts through megaphone* I'M SORRY I'M NOT ACTIVE ENOUGH

Hey guys,
procrastination is a real pain in the butt
because I have not written in a 
LONG 
time,
but
I promise that more stuff will be coming soon. 
Sorry. :/

- Your Alien Author. 

(I've been really really really really really busy lately and every time that I actually have time to write my brain just goes bleh, but I've made it my goal to be more active on here, no matter how many distractions I have to shut out.)

Have a nice morning/afternoon/evening. 

:D

My City (but this time *gasp* it's longer)

They say that if you can't speak Spanish in my city, you're better off moving somewhere else.  

My city is people who have escaped a life comprised of gunshots, not enough pesos, and the smell of sewers. 

My city is people who have packed up everything they can fit into the back of a scratched up car meant for four people, but filled with eight. 

My city is immigrants attempting to stretch their lips around a brand new language.  

My city is the savoriness of tacos de bistek bursting with juicy flavor in every morsel.  

My city is salsas, cumbias, huapangos, norteños, and people coming together to shake their hips on the dance floor.  

My city is Quinceañeras and Dia de los Muertos.  

My city is large families gathered around at the dinner table, laughter echoing across the walls.  

My city is a remixed between Spanish and English tongue. 

My city is unheard of by all the popular kids:...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Obi

Hello. My name is Obi. I'm a ghost. 

Some people say that ghosts don't feel anything. They say that we're just little monsters lost and floating around, but lately, I've been feeling a lot of things. I've been trying to not tell any other ghosts, but I just can't keep them to myself. 

It started last month. There was this house that had been for sale for the longest time. The small brick-red house stood at the end of a street with households already filled with your typical suburban families. They were surprised when a blue pickup truck cruised up that house's driveway.

Out from the backseat popped the most stunning beauty I had ever seen. She had flowing black hair and green eyes that I could stare into for centuries. If I was human, I would have felt my palms get sweaty and my heart palpitating at alarming rates. 

She walked up to...

CALLING ALL THESPIANS

What's the best way to memorize lines quickly? I feel like the way I do it is unconventional and it takes too long. Thanks!

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Obi

Hello. My name is Obi. I'm a ghost. 

Some people say that ghosts don't feel anything. They say that we're just little monsters lost and floating around, but lately, I've been feeling a lot of things. I tried extra hard to not tell anybody else, but I just can't keep them to myself. 

It started last month. There was this house that had been for sale for the longest time. It stood at the end of a street with households already filled with your typical suburban picture perfect families. They were surprised when a blue pickup truck cruised up the driveway.

From the backseat, out popped the most stunning beauty I had ever seen. She had flowing black hair and green eyes that I could stare into for centuries. If I was human, I would have felt my palms get sweaty and my heart palpitating at alarming rates. 

She walked up to the front door where...

Love in 13 Words

Love

Awkward smiles and palpitating hearts, eyes devoted to one person in the room. 

Blue.

(This is an old prompt from the amazing LackingASocialLife.)
Describe the color blue as if describing it to someone completely blind.

Blue is the color that consumes the sky.
Whenever you hear bluebirds fluttering their feathers over your head,
Blue is there to accompany them.
It is a shade that travels along rippling rivers.
When you stick your hand in the freezing water,
You can feel blue
Flowing and rushing over pebbles among
Little blue fish swimming in and out and around your fingers.
Blue is the color of denim jeans and denim jackets,
Visible when the bell rings and middle schoolers come pouring out of school,
Chittering and chattering over who likes who.
Blue is the color of blueberries,
Small, squishy fruits that leave a sweet taste in your mouth,
Bursting blue when you bite down on them.
Blue is the color of Meredith’s eyes,
That girl who always talks to you nicely and guides you from class to...

What would I do if someone broke into my house?

Inspired by LackingASocialLife's "Get to know me" prompts :D

1. Break the window. 
2. Run. 
3. Find a phone and call the police. 
4. If they find me, I'll find something really heavy to throw at them. 
5. Run some more. 

Day 3 of LASL'S get to know me challenge

If y'all don't mind, I am going to rant about today and yesterday. 

Yesterday, my school had to put on this huge assembly for the school board members showcasing all the electives that my school had to offer. I, of course, was in drama, and we were doing the opening scene from our one act play, Bocon. Bocon is about a young Mexican boy named Miguel that is really annoying and always ticks of the soldiers who oppress the people in his city, which puts them in danger (at least that's what the opening scene is about anyway). Our school gym is BIG, so we had to be screaming our lines at the top of our lungs so that the whole school could hear us, (all of the students were in the gym) but of course, people were on their phones and talking to their friends, and some people who paid attention called it "trashy" and "racist" despite all of...

LASL's thing day two: what I wear a lot

1. I wear a lot of short sleeve shirts (I don't have many long sleeve ones), my favorite one is a pink/white tie-dye one I got from Hot Topic (I'm not emo, mind you, I just saw the shirt through the window and I really wanted it lol) that has a UFO with a cute little alien inside holding up a peace sign.
2. I have a blue Peanuts (the cartoon) sweatshirt that I wear often when it's cold. 
3. I  wear my white Star Wars hoodie with the original Star Wars characters when I want to be comfy. 
4. I usually wear black converse for every day life, and wear my light blue Nikes when I'm at tennis or swimming practice. 
5. I wear super skinny dark blue jeans! 

Ayyyeeee my new profile picture worked!

Y'all like it or prefer the old one?

Fernweh

Locomenxia

Locomenxia 

Definition: When someone's complications in life build up into something the human mind cannot handle. 
Sentence: Due to all of the lies she had told, she began to enter a state of locomenxia. 

The Art of Specificity

Hello?

"Hello?", she whispered. 

The young girl cried for help in the darkness. 

The seven year old girl who sat in the corner of the small, dank room with golden hair and freckles littered across her tear-stained cheeks let out a soft cry of desperation, before gulping and staring at the two flaming red eyes looking back at her in the pitch black abyss. 

A speech that I wrote about writing.

(This was a limited amount of words so I had to cut back on a lot of what I had to say...also there were required questions you had to answer via speech/criteria that you had to follow in order to get a good grade, since this was for a school assignment. Anyway, here we gooooooooo)

When I was in the first grade, I absolutely dreaded the moment that I had to deal with every single Monday through Friday for an entire 45 minutes. My heart would sink and I would cling on to the previous subject like a koala bear does to its tree so I wouldn’t fall into the flaming pit of the one subject I knew was coming. I wanted to spend these 45 minutes doing absolutely nothing except inhaling the glorious scent of Play-Doh, crayons, and glue. I wanted to tie my teacher’s lips together when she said,  “Okay class, now let’s move on to writing.” I...

Album Review Competition 2018

Intertwined - EP

Feelings are one of humanity's most complex features. It's often quite hard to put certain feelings into words sometimes, especially when they're for somebody else. However, Dodie Clark is a master at crafting human emotion into musical sound and lyrics. Dodie is the first musician whose art spoke to the depths of my heart and soul. Her first album, Intertwined, makes it seem like she has been performing for years. Dorothy "dodie" (her pseudonym is lowercase) Miranda Clark, born on April 11, 1995, is a singer-songwriter with a large and supportive fan base at only 22. She is a British artist with a beautiful voice that has emerged from the social media platform of YouTube. Her album is a collection of original songs that she had originally posted on her main YouTube channel, doddleoddle, with over one million subscribers. She also posts "vlogs" on her side channel, doddlevloggle, which has more than 700,000 subscribers. In this album, dodie...

Album Review Competition 2018

Intertwined - EP

Dodie is the first artist whose music spoke to the depths of my heart and soul. Her first ever album, Intertwined, makes it seem like she has been performing for years. She is an extremely talented artist with a beautiful voice that has emerged from the social media platform of YouTube. Her collection of original songs perfectly capture the raw emotion and thoughts of a person going through different stages of love and life. Dodie recently released her new EP, You, but the Intertwined album's lyrics are so perfectly composed that I have such a strong urge to write this review full of nothing but praise. 
    The album begins with Intertwined, a calming song accompanied by humming and soft crackling, as if you were hearing it on a worn out vinyl record. The gentle strumming of her baritone ukulele and Dodie's soothing, stunning voice contrasts with the dark meaning of the song. The...

New Year, New Me

It's time to change. 
You say to yourself. 
Just like last year
and the year before that, 
and the year before that, 
and for as long as you remember
because the new year is coming. 
You have to change at least something about yourself, right? 
That's the whole point of a resolution. 
Nobody likes consistency. 
Nobody likes things that don't change because
then they become boring,
and nobody will want you 
because you will remain the same mundane plain person. 
You have to welcome a new 365 days
by falling into the black hole of Slimfasts and treadmill
"one day sales" but one day you will have had enough
and you'll come back to the same thing. 

You don't have to change. 
There's nothing wrong with a little 
equilibrium within you because 
if you push yourself too hard 
you will become unbalanced. 
You will become a broken glass.
No matter how much glue you use 
to put the shards of...

Pink.

Pink was the color of your little bows
that your mother clipped onto your pigtails 
when it was the very first day of school. 
Pink was the color of her lipstick as you stared back at her
adoringly, when she left you alone for the very first time. 
Pink was the color of your pre-kindergarten teacher's 
earrings as you learned how to color inside the lines. 
Pink was the color of your mother's cheeks as she held your
hand to cross the sidewalk after you had just went over the ABC's. 

You got older. 
Pink was the color that was used to identify girls like you
as frail and fragile and dainty and delicate. 
You were not delicate. 
You were strong
like the women warriors you stared at in awe
on the humongous movie screen 
that reflected a light that shone in your eyes.
No matter how many times your mother begged you, 
to please, just this once, 
wear a...

NovelIdea.org.co.uk tell me what you think?

Ok so I've always been wanting to write this sci-fi novel where alien sightings are being reported around the world and it follows the life story of this high school girl and she eventually comes face to face with the aliens idk it's just a thought more than an actual plan. Opinions, comments, ideas? I would write more details but they make more sense in my head than in actual word explanations. 

Should I take this down? #2- Santa Claws (Ha get it.)

This was for one of my writing prompts but I don't think it really goes with it and it's also too long...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The flashlight flickered on in the impenetrable darkness, revealing an illuminated face among a sea of jet black. Silence. There was a shifting sound. Something had moved.
   A voice spoke. "Ow, Bennett, stop poking me!" Another voice spoke. "I'm not poking you, Andrew's poking you!" And yet another different voice, although slightly farther away than the other two. "Nuh-uh!" "Yuh-huh!" "How can I be poking Eliza if I'm the other side of the room?", the distant voice questioned. "Well maybe you have super elasticity powers like Mrs. Incredible, and you just never told us." "Are you calling me a girl?" 
    It was the illuminated face's turn to speak. "Guys shut it!" Silence returned. 
    His hands gripped the handle of the flashlight firmly, as he was a wealthy business man shaking another person's hand....

Here come writing prompts here come writing prompts right down writing prompts lane

Let me know if you guys write any of these!
I will too. 
Eventually. 
Don't rush me. 

1. Google is a real person you have to talk to so you can search the internet. 
2. Make me scared of the Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy. 
3. Write about the most annoying commercial.
4. Pretend you're old and complain about kids these days. 
5. Write a poem about your current surroundings. 
6. Write an unsent letter to a person you hate. (I always do this...oops.)
7. Your kitchen appliances came to life and are starting a strike. 
8. Original ghost story. 
9. Write a story with the following words (at least 5) :
Minion  
Medal
Printer
Lackadaisical 
Alien
Viking
Cookie 
10. You're traveling in a rental car when you hear the thumping of a flat tire. You pull over and discover the thumping is not coming from a flat, after all, but from the trunk. What is making...

(Hi, I'm a lazy person who won't commit to a daily writing challenge, and you're watching Disney Channel) 20 FACTS ABOUT ME

I would tell you more personal information, but that would just ruin my anonymity, wouldn't it? 

1. I am a proud Hispanic (I speak Spanish). 
2. I LOVE acting. 
3. I'm top of my class, straight A's, whatever but I HATE bragging about it. 
4. I LOVE CHOCOLATE. 
5. My favorite movie is Spirited Away.
6. I also like Stranger Things :D
7. Favorite superhero is Wonder Woman, hands down. 
8. Believe in equal rights of any kind (wahoo)
9. I'm a Hufflepuff!
10. I became a published author at 13 when one of my poems placed in a local youth writing contest. It was in an anthology! 
11. I am very short. 4"11. 
12. I honestly don't know what I am going to do with my life. As long as it's cool. I'm thinking either having a writing driven or a science driven career and it's hard to choose.
13. I am the team captain of my Science Olympiad...

WILD

Runaways.

The car sped across the highway.
Lone.
Headlights on.
Traffic gone. 
It was dark.
It was dark and it was ten degrees below zero
and the two lovers
sat in the front seat together.

Hands and souls intertwined
making a roaring fire
that even the BIGGEST FLOOD COULD NEVER TAME 
because they were wild.
Wild spirits with flames in their eyes
that wanted to spark an inferno 
BIGGER than any forest blaze.

A disaster,
a perfect disaster
that ended in happiness
for just the two of them. 
A disaster that came to be by their
irrepressible love for each other
and my oh my, their love was WILD.

It was just the two of them. 
Just the two of them feeling 
the pulsing adrenaline rushing, RACING THROUGH THEIR VEINS AND THROUGHOUT
EVERY. SINGLE. INCH. of their bodies. 

The good kind. 

Their love could not stand to be tied down, 
Could not stand to be held back, 
for...

(I know I'm not doing the challenge but I really wanted to do this) 3 sentence plot twist

He handed her the carefully wrapped square box. "Happy Birthday darling." He tried to smile while tears brimmed his eyes as he stared at his bald-headed lover, stuck in the dull hospital bed, tubes connected this way and that. 

Princess.

I was six years old at the time. I was watching my favorite Disney Princess movie "in the whole wide world", The Little Mermaid. I stared at my TV in awe as Ariel sang and swished through the cartoon water with grace and perfection. I wanted to be just like her. I wanted to have her long, flowing bright red hair with not a strand out of place. I wanted to have those beautiful blue eyes. I wanted to have that skinny body with that tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, waist. I wanted to be a princess. 
    I looked in my wooden, brown, scratched up vanity mirror to see if I resembled at least some of her anatomy, but I all I found was disappointment staring back at me. I didn't have perfect hair like her. I had humongous, frizzy, curly, messy, Hermione Granger hair. I didn't have those blue eyes, I had remarkably dark brown ones, deceivingly...

Beautiful.

I demand you
to go and look at yourself in the nearest mirror, 
nearest phone camera, nearest spoon, lake, whatever. 
As long as you can see your reflection. 
Right now. Go on. Do it. A real nice look at yourself. 

That, right there, 
Is flawed.
Flawed in every single way.
Why?
My, because you haven't bought the Thing. 
This Thing will make you, ah, what's the word?
Beautiful. 

Beautiful
like you've always dreamed of being.  
Haven't you?
Haven't you wished 
to look like those million-dollar celebrities 
who spend hours with experts perfecting their every crevice,
so America and the rest of the world
can worship them.
And how beautiful they are. 

Wouldn't you like that?
Wouldn't you like to have a perfect body?
Just like those fabulous supermodels, 
who spend their time starving themselves 
at our command.
But sweetheart, it's all for the greater good.
It goes to helping sculpt your mind with our skeleton mannequin puppets, 
so you can...