thecrazychatlady

Default avatar user icon

thecrazychatlady (United States) published:

The Tragedy of Strangers

WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS SWEARING. RATED T FOR TEENS.
___________________________________
There are many different tragedies that people tell.

There are the tragedies that end in death. These are the story of a woman who lost her children to an unfortunate accident, the civilian gunned down by a terrorist, and the seven-year-old who died of cancer. We hear them on the news, pause for maybe a second to exclaim “How terrible!”, then continue with our busy, busy lives.

There are the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

The Tragedy of Strangers

There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the supposedly inconsequential difficulties that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

The Tragedy of Strangers

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

The Tragedy of Strangers

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

To Whistle is to Sing

PROMPT: On the Last Day of the World

Meteors were falling and buildings collapsing,
So I pursed my lips and whistled.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

Run Like Hell

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition

An excerpt from my novel-in-progress, Flypaper

“As soon as you get outside the gate, to someplace secluded, run.” No tears glittered in Trista’s eyes as she shook her younger sister by the shoulders, though she knew they would never see each other again. Her voice was steady, but there was an undercurrent of desperation. “You got me? You run like hell and never look back.”

Anelle, on the other hand, was dripping tears. “Don’t cry, Nellie. You were taught better...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
Competitor

thecrazychatlady (United States) earned a badge Competitor

Default avatar user icon
3
2

She was scared.

PROMPT: The Art of Specificity

She was scared. 

She was scared of the crows, flapping noisily about her head.

She was scared of the crows and the tidings of death they carried. Her heart raced, her fists clenched, and her mind found a state of utter calm. She could run away from her destiny now, she knew. But she wouldn't.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

a poem in iambic pentameter

“My chest, it hurts,” I cry to no avail.
My quiet pleas for silent tears to fail
Fall like feathers upon the crooked ground,
And sit, ignored, a shadow, in the crowd
I’m blind and I cannot see, nor hear,
Nor feel, nor speak, nor hope, nor dream, nor fear,
For candid truths yet flee as I draw near.
And light evades my very touch to run
To join the dark until my soul is done.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

The Tragedy of Strangers

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Tragedy of Strangers

___________________________________

There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the supposedly inconsequential difficulties that are an occupational hazard of being alive. When an old memento is lost, when we forget something important, and when we realize that sometime in our pasts we were a horrible person and there is absolutely no way to go back and fix things.

And then there are the tragedies that we see, but dismiss as petty, shallow, and stupid in the overarching pursuit of success and happiness. These are...

The Tragedy of Strangers

And then there are the tragedies that we see, but dismiss as petty, shallow, and stupid in the overarching pursuit of success and happiness. These are the daily dramas, the teenage angst, and the melancholic episodes...

The Tragedy of Strangers

There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the supposedly inconsequential difficulties that are an occupational hazard of
being alive. When an old memento is lost, when we forget something important, and when we realize that sometime in our pasts we were a horrible person and there is absolutely no way to go back and fix things.

The Tragedy of Strangers

On the Last Day of the World

To Whistle is to Sing

So I pursed my lips and whistled.

Novel Writing Competition

Run Like Hell

Anelle, on the other hand, was dripping tears. “Don’t cry, Nellie. You were taught better than that,” Trista said fiercely, and wrapped her sister in a hug. “Grab your knife and your bag. I’ll get you out of here.”

Her sister only nodded and slung her bag over her shoulder, then stuck her knife in her boot. Trista observed her with a critical eye, then sighed. “I wish I could’ve gotten you a pistol,” she murmured. “But this’ll—”

“Have to do,” Anelle completed, sniffling. Trsita smiled wanly. “Good luck.”

Anelle walked out into the corridor...

The Art of Specificity

She was scared.

She was scared. 

a poem in iambic pentameter

My quiet pleas for silent tears to fail
I’m blind and I cannot see, nor hear,
And light evades my very touch to run
To join the dark until my soul is done.

The Tragedy of Strangers

No Likes Yet

thecrazychatlady doesn't have any likes yet.

5 Likes from Others

The Tragedy of Strangers

Liked by 1 person

She was scared.

Liked by 3 people

To Whistle is to Sing

Liked by 1 person

Run Like Hell

Liked by 1 person

melancholy

Liked by 1 person

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 21 days ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 21 days ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 20 days ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Leader inactive

Become a leader of the pack when over five other writers start following you.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.

thecrazychatlady isn't following anyone yet.