thecrazychatlady

Default avatar user icon
1

thecrazychatlady (United States) published:

The Tragedy of Strangers

Warning: T-rated. Will contain swearing. 

There are many different tragedies that people tell.
There are the tragedies that end in death. These are the story of a woman who lost her children to an unfortunate accident, the civilian gunned down by a terrorist, and the seven-year-old who died of cancer. We hear them on the news, pause for maybe a second to exclaim “How terrible!”, then continue with our busy lives.
There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
Leader

thecrazychatlady (United States) earned a badge Leader

Default avatar user icon
3

I've Always Had Trouble with Clothes

I’ve always had trouble with clothes. I used to wear whatever the hell I felt like, clashing colors and patterns be damned. It drove my mother crazy, and she wouldn’t let me leave the house sometimes because I was wearing white shoes and black socks or plaid leggings with a polka-dot shirt. I didn’t mind looking quirky, not then. In fact, I reveled in it.

Then there’s that phase that probably every kid goes through where they want to dress...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

Ephemera

PROMPT: WILD

"slow down"
no 
i won't
you can't make me
it hurts it hurts it hurts 
"just stop"
shut up
it's not that simple
you're not helping
shut up shut up shut up
the voices are louder than my own thoughts
"we can help you"
no no no no no no no
get away from me
i'm running 
i'm screaming
i have two days left and i will go down fighting
they try to catch me
pull me back
"just listen...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
2

The Tragedy of Strangers

WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS SWEARING. RATED T FOR TEENS.
___________________________________

There are the tragedies that end in death. These are the story of a woman who lost her children to an unfortunate accident, the civilian gunned down by a terrorist, and the seven-year-old who died of cancer. We hear them on the news, pause for maybe a second to exclaim “How terrible!”, then continue with our busy, busy lives.

There are the...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

The Tragedy of Strangers

There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the supposedly inconsequential difficulties that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

The Tragedy of Strangers

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

The Tragedy of Strangers

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

To Whistle is to Sing

PROMPT: On the Last Day of the World

Meteors were falling and buildings collapsing,
So I pursed my lips and whistled.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1
1

Run Like Hell

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2017

An excerpt from my novel-in-progress, Flypaper

“As soon as you get outside the gate, to someplace secluded, run.” No tears glittered in Trista’s eyes as she shook her younger sister by the shoulders, though she knew they would never see each other again. Her voice was steady, but there was an undercurrent of desperation. “You got me? You run like hell and never look back.”

Anelle, on the other hand, was dripping tears. “Don’t cry, Nellie. You were taught better...

Seeking Peer Reviews

The Tragedy of Strangers

There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the supposedly inconsequential difficulties that are an occupational hazard of being alive. When an old memento is lost, when we forget something important, and when we realize that sometime in our pasts we were a horrible person and there is absolutely no way to go back and fix things.
And then there are the tragedies that we see, but dismiss as petty, shallow, and stupid in the overarching (overrated) pursuit of success and happiness. These are the daily dramas, the teenage...

I've Always Had Trouble with Clothes

Then there’s that phase that probably every kid goes through where they want to dress like everyone else. Suddenly, my patterned leggings seemed juvenile. My raggedy sweaters out of season. My bootleg jeans stupid-looking. So I watched the other kids in their short shirts that grazed the waistband of their skinny jeans, you know, the ones that pull up when they raised their arms. I watched them in their solid-colored tanks with, maybe, a stripe or two. They looked boring in their almost-but-not-quite crop tops, dark wash jeans, and black Vans, but everyone else was...

WILD

Ephemera

"slow down"
no 
i won't
you can't make me
it hurts it hurts it hurts 
"just stop"
shut up
it's not that simple
you're not helping
shut up shut up shut up
"we can help you"
no no no no no no no
get away from me
i'm running 
i'm screaming
they try to catch me
pull me back
"just listen to us"
i  bite and pull and kick and shriek
they let me go
"stop it"
one day left
one hour left
a minute left
i see them clearly and i scratch their faces away
a second left
i smile
nothing left
i'm free

The Tragedy of Strangers

___________________________________

And then there are the tragedies that we see, but dismiss as petty, shallow, and stupid in the overarching pursuit of success and happiness. These are...

The Tragedy of Strangers

And then there are the tragedies that we see, but dismiss as petty, shallow, and stupid in the overarching pursuit of success and happiness. These are the daily dramas, the teenage angst, and the melancholic episodes...

The Tragedy of Strangers

There are the tragedies nobody sees. These are the supposedly inconsequential difficulties that are an occupational hazard of
being alive. When an old memento is lost, when we forget something important, and when we realize that sometime in our pasts we were a horrible person and there is absolutely no way to go back and fix things.

The Tragedy of Strangers

On the Last Day of the World

To Whistle is to Sing

So I pursed my lips and whistled.

Novel Writing Competition 2017

Run Like Hell

Anelle, on the other hand, was dripping tears. “Don’t cry, Nellie. You were taught better than that,” Trista said fiercely, and wrapped her sister in a hug. “Grab your knife and your bag. I’ll get you out of here.”

Her sister only nodded and slung her bag over her shoulder, then stuck her knife in her boot. Trista observed her with a critical eye, then sighed. “I wish I could’ve gotten you a pistol,” she murmured. “But this’ll—”

“Have to do,” Anelle completed, sniffling. Trsita smiled wanly. “Good luck.”

Anelle walked out into the corridor...

The Art of Specificity

She was scared.

She was scared. 

She was scared of the crows, flapping noisily about her head.

She was scared of the crows and the tidings of death they carried. Her heart raced, her fists clenched, and her mind found a state of utter calm. She could run away from her destiny now, she knew. But she wouldn't.

a poem in iambic pentameter

“My chest, it hurts,” I cry to no avail.
My quiet pleas for silent tears to fail
Fall like feathers upon the crooked ground,
And sit, ignored, a shadow, in the crowd
I’m blind and I cannot see, nor hear,
Nor feel, nor speak, nor hope, nor dream, nor fear,
For candid truths yet flee as I draw near.
And light evades my very touch to run
To join the dark until my soul is done.

The Tragedy of Strangers

No Likes Yet

thecrazychatlady doesn't have any likes yet.

9 Likes from Others

The Tragedy of Strangers

Liked by 1 person

Ephemera

Liked by 1 person

The Tragedy of Strangers

Liked by 2 people

The Tragedy of Strangers

Liked by 1 person

She was scared.

Liked by 3 people

To Whistle is to Sing

Liked by 1 person

Run Like Hell

Liked by 1 person

melancholy

Liked by 1 person

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 6 months ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned about 2 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 6 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 6 months ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.

thecrazychatlady isn't following anyone yet.