Moonfromalola avatar 1

MoonFromAlola

Writor
Manga Artist (in progress)
Illustrator
Ravenclaw
Pokémon
Star Wars

“When something goes wrong in your life, just yell, “Plot twist!” And keep going.” -(A person who’s name I don’t know)

“Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.” -Unknown Author

Diary of a High School Noob!- 1

In a strange turn of events, I have somehow ended up in unknown territory. My school has an alternating schedule, a Red day and a White day. Each day consists of four eighty minute long periods, and what time you have lunch depends on your third period class, so it’s different everyday.

Well, on my Red days, I had situated myself at a lunch table where I knew a couple people, who had really welcomed me into their group last year (since I started going to their school just after Thanksgiving). The first day, I saw my one friend, Georgia, and followed her to a table with a few other girls. Then, after a few minutes, the table was so crowded with people that not everyone could put their stuff on the table.

The thing about me is that I am a very shy person. Another thing about me is that when I find friends I usually don’t stray far...

To Remember...

I want to remember all of it. The sound of lake water lapping against the boats. The cool breeze lightly brushing against my skin. Sun beating down so that everyone retreats into the shade. And how peaceful everything was, just for that moment.
I want to forget that feeling, clawing away at your heart. Where the people you love most are suddenly so far away. Too far. They are. I want them to be with me for no reason other than that they would be there.
I don’t want to regret my words, for anything I say can, and will, be torn up inside of me later. Anything I say, I know it could have been better.
I will remember the adventure, though quiet and small. Maybe the next opportunity I get will be easier to say yes to.
I want to remember it all because,  someday, I know it will be gone.

Science Fiction Competition 2018

Onset

The sky was bright blue that beautiful morning when the transportation hovercraft jerked around a corner, smacking Kara’s head hard against the vehicle’s window, and waking her with a start. She rubbed at the impact spot on her head. Her wavy honey blonde hair had been neatly brushed out, but she knew that she was messing it up. Ignoring the matter of her hair, Kara turned her attention to the rest of the transport.

The Floating Automatic Transport, or FAT, was the most effective, and cheapest way to get around the city. Most people just referred to them as transports, but FAT was the “official” name. It took an extensive route throughout the city, floating through traffic along with other vehicles.

There was a large amount of traffic in the sky that day. Transportation vehicles of many types, none flying higher than the buildings, but no lower than 15 meters off of the ground. Kara studied the people walking on the...

Science Fiction Competition 2018

Onset

The sky was bright blue that beautiful morning when the transport jerked around a corner, smacking Kara’s head hard against the vehicle’s window, and waking her with a start. She rubbed at the impact spot on her head. Her wavy honey blonde hair had been neatly brushed out, but she knew that she was messing it up. Ignoring the matter of her hair, Kara turned her attention to the rest of the transport.

The Floating Automatic Transport, or FAT, was the most effective, and cheapest way to get around the city. Most people just reported to them as transports, but FAT was the “official” name.

There was a large amount of traffic in the sky that day. Transportation vehicles of many types, none flying higher than the buildings, but no lower than 15 meters off of the ground. Kara studied the people walking on the ground, each hurrying off to work.

Kara noticed that there was a significant increase...

Five Beginnings

Onset

The sky was bright blue that beautiful morning when the transport jerked around a corner, smacking Kara’s head hard against the vehicle’s window, and waking her with a start.

Spirit: Part One

Raven opened her eyes, blinded by bright white fluorescent lights. She tried to lift her hand up to shield her eyes, but it was strapped down at her wrist. Her thoughts darted back and forth from ones of terror to others of confusion. As her eyes adjusted, she saw the the white popcorn ceiling clearer. She moved her head around to discover that she was inside of a hospital room.

From what Raven could tell, she was completely alone, left to panic by herself. The room was enough to drive anyone insane. The walls were a blinding white color, while the floor was more off-white after years of wear. There was a metal stand to her left, which held a tray of slimy hospital food. Raven didn’t understand how someone would expect her to eat when she was tied at the wrists, waist, and ankles. She hoped that her doctor wasn’t an idiot and the tray was for someone else.
...

Spirit: Part One

From what Raven could tell, she was completely alone, left to panic by herself. The room was enough to drive anyone insane. The walls were a blinding white color, while the floor was more off-white after years of wear. There was a metal stand to her left, which held a tray of slimy hospital food. Raven didn’t understand how someone would expect her to eat when she was tied at the wrists, waist, and ankles. She hoped that her doctor wasn’t an idiot and the tray was for someone else. ...

Parents Suck

Yelling...

Screaming...

Do I not deserve better...

Is there not something to make it stop?

Shouting...

Crying...

Is it all my fault?

Quiet...

More cries...

What am I to do?

Movement...

Repeat...

Does the cycle ever stop?

I cry for myself...

I cry because I know that there have been worse situations for others...

I cry because I don't feel bad for feeling bad for myself. 

Lies...

Lack of love...

Yelling...

Screaming...

Silence.

I want it to stop

The Limerick

?

What am I even doing here?
Away from darkness and fear.
Down the rabbit hole,
Confusion takes a toll,
But giddiness is completely clear. 

Bookless: A Spirit Guardians Adventure

Disclaimer! More information about Spirit Guardians is available in the footnotes for any necessary clarification. 

Lyn and Fox walk into the cafeteria, each feeling very different emotions. While Fox is filled with excitement, Lyn is filled with dread and misery. Their very different outlooks on their situation only shows their character even further.
 Fox is outgoing and wild, while also not being completely real. Lyn’s fun-loving friend is a Spirit Guardian, and she has been sent from her home in the In-between to help Lyn on her endeavors, and has already helped Lyn to “come out of her shell,” even if only a little. Her appearance matches her personality. She’s dressed in a black dress with a bubble skirt, and black ballet flat shoes. Her long black hair is tied back into a ponytail and her fluffy fox ears are twitching with excitement. Her fox tail is a tangled mess since she hardly ever brushes it, and her fangs are...

Favorite Books

I believe that choosing one's declaring of their favorite book is as important as any other big declarations. People declare their love for one another, their hopes to bring new life into the world, and other important announcements, but I feel that having a favorite book is important as well. You all would understand this matter, of course, since I feel safe with the assumption that most of you are all book people too (correct me if I'm wrong). 

As far as I know, a person discovers their favorite book between the teenage and young adult years. It seems most logical since during those times a person has all the time in the world to simply immerse oneself in a fictional reality before becoming busy with work and families. 

I myself have gone through a long and complicated journey to declaring my favorite book, but today I am confident with my decision. When I was younger, I...

25 Words

Evanesce

As the sun dived below the horizon, all of their worries were left behind with the fading of the light.

Monostich

Rain

When one learns to dance in it, it becomes a happy storm. 

Announcement: My Brother just Joined!!

Hi! I just wanted to say that my brother is now a member of Write the World and is starting to improve his writing skills! :) He has really cool ideas so...If you feel like it, maybe visit SunFromAlola :) 

Angels & Demons: Part Two

"Very good job, Storm," Chief, the president of the 46th Demon outpost, congratulates me. He's very muscular with tan skin and shaved black hair. His brown eyes drill into my soul, worrying me throughout our entire conversation. He twirls the Dark Dimension Ring between his thumb and forefinger. "You stayed true to your mission, like a real demon. I'm impressed." Oh no. This can't be good. "I believe that you're ready for something...Bigger." 

"Like what Boss?" I inquire nervously. He sets down the ring and leans forward close enough that I can see several scars on his aging face. 

"Well, I was thinking, undercover," he says it slowly. He knows as well as anyone that I don't like acting, despite me being pretty good at it. I was the top of my class in recon and deception for heaven's sake! I could do it if I wanted to! It's just...

I just don't like it. The less...

Angels & Demons: Part One (?)

"Ow!" I swear, clutching the back of my head. I had squirmed and hit my head on the top of the ventilation shaft. It's dingy, grimy, and not very well taken care of. I squint against the darkness, the only objects visible are my hands and the occasional patch of mold. The smell is terrible. It reeks of mothballs of urine from probably several different possible species.  

I crawl through a spider web and hurry to dust the silk from my straight black hair, remembering my partner, Keith's, advice to keep it up in a ponytail. I didn't listen. Thank goodness he made me take a hair-tie anyway. I quickly pull my hair back and continue to crawl onward. 

I finally reach the vent that Keith told me to be at, then check my watch.  

"Seven thirty," I mumble to myself. Keith should already be here. "Dang-it!" I pear through the vent, immediately spotting...

The Unknown

Unknown

I don't know much about...Well, I don't know much about a lot of things...I don't know how to get myself to watch anime that's rated TV-14 and up, despite being in that age category. I just can't do it! But, what I really don't know much about is...Um...I don't know how to kiss...

I rest my head on the table, thinking about how stupid of a thought that is. I mean, I'm fourteen! I don't have to worry about this for a while...Hopefully. I just can't help thinking about the fact that I don't know. Like, is it literally just...Uh...Suctioning anoth-

No! I can't do it! I can't think about this anymore or I'll lose my mind!!

"Hey?" A voice says meekly. I lift my head up, blonde hair falling away from my face. There's a boy my age standing there, trying not to stare at me too long, probably attempting to not come off as creepy....

Path of the Ninja: Part 1

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEE- CRASH!!! 

Doro throws the alarm clock across the room. It smashes into the wall a few inches from the open window, leaving a large indent in the wood. Three of the figures sit up in the beds while the final one, Doro, begins to snore again. 

"Mizu," Hanabi moans, rubbing his eyes, "It's your day." 

"Ugh, but Hanabi, you torching his shirt would be so much quicker," Mizu flops back onto her rickety bed after referring to Hanobi's ability to control and create fire. It creaks loudly from the motion. Hanabi raises his eyebrow at Mizu and she rolls her eyes in response. Then, she walks back towards Doro's bed and her long caramel brown hair begins to float. She brings her palms together at her chest and pulses them forward, releasing a powerful jet stream of water towards Doro. Surprised, Doro sits up ramrod straight, his shaggy dark brown...

Spirit Guardians: Scene One

START OUTSIDE A CAFE AND MOVE INWARD:

NIGHT
The cafe is busy with people as the night drags on. A clock reads 8:30 p.m. as several waiters and waitresses bustle around to finish their evening shifts. Then, LYN MEI (14) shuffles out from the kitchen with two full trays balanced on her hands. She radiates anxiousness as she maneuvers her way throughout the cafe, dropping off orders as she comes across her customers.
Lyn finishes handing out dishes and nearly runs into HARU (also 14) and a few of his friends as they make their way into the cafe.

LYN
Uh...I’m sorry.

HARU
That’s no…

Lyn rushes away before Haru can finish, heading back to the kitchen. When she comes back out, she’s taking off her apron and walks behind the cashier’s counter. The cashier, AKARI (19), waves Lyn over. Akari has her bright red hair pulled to one side and her red fake nails are more like claws.

AKARI ...

Summer Nostalgia

Ailey stands atop the small hill, looking out longingly towards the vast ocean. The warm sun beats on her shoulders and a light breeze tousles her braided hair. She holds a hand on her hat to keep it from flying away, a smile tugging at her as her heart feels as if it's being squeezed. Boats toot their horns as they cruise through the clear blue water and the waves lapse against the fiberglass. She curls her toes into the ground, feeling the texture of green grass and dirt. The sky is clearer than she's ever seen it, with no clouds in sight and the sun shining happily. She breathes in the fresh floral scent as the sound of rustling palm leaves floods into her ears. Sighing with contentment, Ailey turns back around to smile at her friends running over to them.

~---~

Hilda glares through the blinding sun at the building looming in front of her. She...

Warp Tunnels: Part One

"Here's your order ma'am." the young waiter sets down the glass, ice clinking loudly, bringing Crystal out of her daydream. She turns away from the window to stare at her coffee. Except, what she sees instead of her cappuccino with honey and cinnamon is an iced tea. The ice floats aimlessly and a lemon is stuck to the edge of the glass. She raises a perfectly sculpted eyebrow in confusion.

"Hey, I didn't order this," she shouts at the waiter, but he doesn't respond. 

"Yeah, but I did," Crystal shivers at the sound of a familiar voice. She quickly grabs her purse to flee the cafe, but he flops down in the seat across from her. "Hello again." 

"Hi," she responds bitterly. He slides the iced tea towards him and sips from the straw, looking up at her. She's still frozen in a half-sitting half-standing position. Her own gaze is fixated. Fixated solely on his dumb...

Warp Tunnels: Part One

"Here's your order ma'am." the young waiter sets down the glass, ice clinking loudly, bringing Crystal out of her daydream. She turns away from the window to stare at her latte. Except, what she sees instead of her cappuccino with honey and cinnamon is an iced tea. The ice floats aimlessly and a lemon is stuck to the edge of the glass. She raises a perfectly sculpted eyebrow in confusion.

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Thanatos

“Ugh,” Bella sighed, walking away from the cell’s bars. She’d been trying to squeeze through them for half an hour now and was beginning to feel frustrated. “It’s no use!” she shouted, banging her foot into the bars and yelping in pain. She turned slowly towards the creature in the corner. 

Another being, shielded from view by the darkness of his corner, lifted his hands into the light and began to perform sign language. "Don’t worry, Bella." 

Bella looked back over at her friend. “Sorry Thano. I couldn’t help them.” she sighed before plopping onto the floor. 

He signed again. Don’t apologize! We can still get out! 

Bella scoffed. Finishing their crusade seemed daunting from inside a cell. The enslaved Thanatos that they were attempting to help would likely have been killed before they got back anyway! Bella wasn’t paying him much attention, trying to figure out her own plan for escape. From her peripheral vision,...

Weekly Tale #1: Black Panther

Okay, so, Black Panther is out now. Awesome! I haven't seen it yet, but it is going to have to be the best movie I have ever seen to make up for Star Wars 8 and Justice League. *sigh*

So, to start a (hopefully) series about just random memories and thoughts I have, I figured that I'd do something...Short. Like, the first time that I saw Black Panther. No, not the movie. Truth is, I don't even know what it is that I saw Black Panther on! Hold on, I have an explanation. Well, I have a picture in my mind. 

One day, for no apparent reason (that I remember), one of those more violent Marvel cartoons was on TV and we happened to land on it. I don't remember the plot or anything, but I do remember being terrified by the violence of the cartoon. Anyway, Black Panther was in it and there was a...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Thanatos

The creature was seemingly composed of black sludge, molded into the shape of a human. He watched Bella with his blank face, seeming to drill into her even without eyes. His face looked as if sculpted from clay, with slight indentations for "eyes." From his chest, slight bumps from his rib-cage could be seen. He slowly lifted his hands, dripping his sludge over the dingy floor, and began to perform sign language. Don’t worry, Bella. 

...

Love in 13 Words

??Love??

Love? Eh! Forget boyfriends! Forget Valentine! Friends are cool. Family's love. Nothing else.   

Fire Eyes (Prologue [Maybe series?])

Fire. All I can see. Burning stacks of hay that go back towards the horizon. I look over to Cole, who looks as nervous as a am. Strange. He's the bravest person I know. I turn to the left, studying Alana's worried expression. She's always emotional, but the tears in her eyes are a stab at my own heart. Her cloak shuffles as she brings a hand up to wipe her eyes and tries to look brave. I fiddle with my sword, not wanting to be the first to speak. People expect me to be some leader, but I'm really not. 

"Aiden?" Cole breaks the silence and I turn to face him. He seems taken aback by my worried face. "Ready?" 

All I can do is nod. I'm not ready. How could I possibly be ready? The biggest battle anyone could dream of is about to take place, and there are only three people to stop it. However,...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Thanatos

The creature was seemingly composed of black sludge, molded into the shape of a human. He watched Bella with his blank face, seeming to drill into her even without eyes. He slowly lifted his hands, dripping his sludge over the dingy floor, and began to perform sign language. Don’t worry, Bella. 

Thano began to sign again. Don’t apologize! We can still get out! 

Bella scoffed. Finishing their crusade seemed daunting from inside a cell. The enslaved Thanatos that they were attempting to help would likely...

When the Devil Whispers

A girl sits down on her couch, excitedly opening her laptop and opening up her most recent writing project. She comes up with book ideas often, explaining the infinite amount of documents in her Google Drive account, but she has et to finish any of them. Even her parents have made comments about how she can't finish a book, and even though they're meant to be slightly teasing, it wears her down. 

Why are you wasting your time with this? 

She sighs. The devil is yelling at her again. She's always been able to tell it to go away, but this subject isn't as simple as some little comment he makes about her appearance. She ignores him like she has for a few days and watches as the few pages of her planning document load. The document is titled "New Wings: The Batman" and she smiles at the thought of planning out more of the plot....

The Artists: Part 1: Chapter 1; Jane

I love snow. There’s something about it that makes me giddy like a kid called out from school. I look out the window at the bright green Californian grass. I hate California. It’s hot, it’s too bright, and the people don’t care about anything but their tan! I know that it’s a good opportunity for my career, but I just can’t stand it. People say that if I want to be successful then I have to go to California. But, if those geniuses hadn’t noticed, California is breaking apart into the ocean and none of the experts in charge are telling anyone about it.
 Em had found out about the fault line accidentally. This is what I get for being roommates with a geology major. Now, we’re rushing to pack up and move to Maine. Em says it’s close to Canada. 

“If the U.S goes downhill then we have an easy getaway!” I hear her reassure her boyfriend Greg....

What is Love?

What is love?

What is caring? 

What is having a "significant other" in Middle School?

I just don't understand. Everyone else has crushes and boyfriends/girlfriends, but I can't even find someone that I like enough to crush on! My brother is a year younger than me and he has a girlfriend! Just doesn't make sense. I'm always told it's a good thing, and I have friends without significant others, but I just can't help but think about what it would be like. 

I mean, I've had crushes before, but nothing much in a while (you know except for some TV characters that are cute :P). Anyway, that's just my thoughts on the subject. 

Do you think it's ridiculous to bother with boy/girlfriends when you're so young?

The Narrator: Part 5

I peer over the bare bushes, looking down the small slope that leads to Alice's house. It's a large single-family home with light yellow siding, brown roof, shutters and garage door (also brown), and a welcoming front door. This would be a great place to live if it weren't for the yellow danger tape and police officers. I sigh to myself, breath fogging in the frigid air. You fidget beside me and I turn in your direction.

"Alright," I start, whispering softly, "Let's go over the plan one more time." 

"Relax Nikki." You have a weird smirk on your face. I don't like it. "We've been over the plan five times. I got this!" 

"I don't know about that." I sit cross-legged and wait for you to respond. You let out an exasperated sigh before speaking. 

"You are going to distract the cops so that I can sneak inside. Then, we'll regroup and search the...

The Artists: Prologue

"Mr. President?" The President looks up from his papers to see his secretary standing sheepishly in the doorway. Her thick glasses are sliding down her nose, forcing her to reposition them. Her hair is dyed a dark red and cut in a bob with bangs straight across her forehead. She's dressed in a pantsuit that's a bright green-yellow color, and her heels are hot pink. 

"What is it Miss. Pottery?" He responds, obviously annoyed by the interruption. He leans on his right arm as he sets down the pen he'd been writing with in his left hand. The Oval Office had been quiet for most of the day, expect for the dozens of papers resting on President O' Riley's desk.  "I don't have all day." 

"Well," Miss. Pottery stammers, holding her stack of papers closer to her chest out of nervousness. "Some Stanford geology students were researching the San Andreas fault line and...Well-"

"Spit it out...

Setting as Mood

Setting as Mood

Ailey trudged along the soggy dirt road, focused only on her sandaled feet.

The rain poured down in thick sheets, you couldn't even see a foot in front of you. The leaves on the large palm trees drooped from the weight of the water it held like an overflowing bowl, filled to the point that its contents spilled in a constant drip. Even the flowers were waterlogged, their colorful petals spotted with droplets. The dirt road had turned into mush and mini potholes formed from the footprints of travelers, each one filled with so much water that you couldn't tell that a hole was there until you were ankle deep in it. Much of the route's wildlife were hidden inside their homes, many having been kicked out of their houses due to the flooding burrows. The sky had turned dark gray as the afternoon turned to dusk, causing for it to be even more difficult to see. Lights...

!Happy Holidays!

Happy holidays readers, and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it! It's Nicole here to proudly wish you all happy holidays and good luck in the New Year! The writer wanted to do something weird and decided to Google Translate the title of this piece, !Happy Holidays!, using a language with each letter in the alphabet. I believe that she realizes that it might not be completely accurate (since Google Translate is known to make mistakes), but she still hopes to wish you happy holidays in many different ways. 

!اجازة سعيدة!   (<Arabic)

!Весели празници!   (<Bulgarian)

!節日快樂!   (<Chinese [Traditional])

!Fijne vakantie!   (<Dutch)

!Happy Holidays!   (<English)

Joyeuses fêtes!   (<French)

Ευχάριστες διακοπές!   (<Greek)

Aloha mau lā!   (<Hawaiian) 

Buone vacanze!   (<Italian) 

ハッピーホリデー!   (<Japanese) 

해피 홀리데이!   (<Korean)

! Beatus festis!   (<Latin)

Аз жаргалтай амралт!   (<Mongolian)

Glade helligdager!   (<Norwegian)

Boas festas!   (<Portuguese) 

Счастливые праздники!   (<Russian)

Felices vacaciones!   (<Spanish)

สุขสันต์วันหยุด!   (<Thai)

Щасливі свята!   (<Ukrainian)

Chúc mừng ngày lễ!   (<Vietnamese) 

Gwyliau Hapus!   (<Welsh)

Ieholide ezivuyayo!   (<Xhosa)

Happy Holidays! ...

There's Always A Twist: Prologue

I quickly rush into the library, immediately flooded by the smell of books and dust. I can’t believe that it’s been five minutes and I’m on the verge of a major panic attack! This school was supposed to be different. Yeah, sure, starting in the middle of my freshman year is already a recipe for disaster, but I thought things would change. That I would change.
 Guess I’m not doing as well as I’d hoped since I ended up back in a library. Libraries have always been my escape from reality. My mom loves books and she wanted me to grow up around them. So, it was already predetermined that I would be the lonely bookworm, forgotten by even her parents. I guess my parents had bigger problems.
 I shake my head, attempting to toss away the memories  of my feuding parents, to no avail. In dismay, I begin to trek through the massive collection of books. It’s dead...

A Pickle

What do you do...

When the world collapses around you?

What do you do...

When someone you thought loved you suddenly became the top person on your **** list (the writer won't let me swear)?

What do you do...

When you want to tell random strangers on the internet about the darkest point in your life?

What do you do...

When you aren't sure if they'll listen. 

Ugh...Forget format and writing well. Forget it! I'm done! I'd quit if I could! I mean, the writer needs me right now! I don't know what to do. Do you think I can help her simply by being here for her? Here inside her head. 

I think she's crazy.

You know that she talks to me? When she's alone. She's so lonely. But she doesn't take pity. She just puts on her happy mask and acts as if everything is okay. What do you do when it isn't okay?

Maybe you internet strangers...

What I'm Thankful For

Hello readers!
It's you're favorite narrator...Nicole! Happy Thanksgiving! I wish you the best of luck scrambling around like headless chickens just to see family you can't stand! Well, I'm sure that not all of your Thanksgivings are that bad. I have no doubt that there are families that enjoy coming together to get interrogated about their year's. Yeah, Thanksgiving's not really my "thing." The writer says that it's probably because I don't have a traditional family, but that's a little hypocritical since her family isn't too "traditional" on Thanksgiving either! Hey, I'm not judging her or anything, I'd much rather go to the movies and pig out at a restaurant instead of cooking my own food too. I guess we traditional Thanksgivingers get our payback later. They have to make an annual trip to visit family (who are now eight hours away from the writer's current residency), so they have to spend a whole week making the rounds. Ha! Anyway, I'll...

The Real Alice Angel

He's on his way. Ah...Everything is working perfectly

You know that this is wrong. Why don't you just let this go?

can't just "let this go"! I've worked too hard for this and for too long! I will not let him take me away! Not again!

Okay! I understand. It's happening to me too. But you still know it's wrong. He's so innocent. He didn't                                             ...

The Real Alice Angel

Okay! I understand. It's happening to me too. But you still know it's wrong. He's so innocent. He didn't                                                                          even know about our whole ordeal until you trapped him!

But he is what I need! He is what ...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

All Signs Point to Home

How did I end up here? A woman thinks to herself. She's stranded alone on the sidewalk, careless New Yorkers rudely brushing past her, but she doesn't move. The sounds of New York city buzz around her, car horns honking, sirens wailing, and people talking, but she barely hears a word. This is all so surreal, she can't remember what she was doing, why she has Central Park behind her and 5th Avenue in front of her. What does one do in a situation like this? 

Unsure of herself, she starts to walk down the street towards a cross walk. Maybe she was just lost and everything would start to become clearer if she saw something familiar. She clutches the large purse that is hanging from her shoulder, it's purple floral pattern making her smile since she loves flowers. Her wrinkled, elderly hands are unsteady as she continues to wander, searching desperately for anything she'll remember. 

Finally, she's had...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

All Signs Point to Home

Unsure of herself, she started to walk down the street towards a cross walk. Maybe she was just lost and everything would start to become clearer if she saw something familiar. She clutches the large purse that is hanging from her shoulder, it's purple floral pattern making her smile since she loves flowers. Her wrinkled, elderly hands are unsteady as she continues to wander, searching desperately for anything she'll remember. 

Finally, she's had...

The Narrator: Part 4

"Okay. I think we lost them." You say to me, panting loudly. We ran from the UPS truck until we reached the other side of the trailer park and ducked behind a cluster of trees. 

"Good." I pant and take a cautious glance back through the park before turning to you. "What were you thinking?!" I whisper-shout and slap your arm. 

"Hey! It's called self defense." you respond annoyingly. "You're welcome." 

"Welcome?!" I continue angrily. "You've just given them more evidence against us!" I slap your arm again, frustration boiling inside me and I feel my cheeks burn red. 

"Exactly! Now stop hitting me!" you yell back. Then, a flashlight shines over the bushes we're hiding behind. We both gasp and flop onto the ground, panicked thoughts racing through my mind. 

"Colin?! Get yer bloody butt over here!" Someone shouts at us in a heavy Scottish accent. Well, you. You pop up and look...

The Narrator: Part 4

"Exactly! Now stop hitting me!" you yell back. Then, a flashlight shines over the bushes we're hiding behind. We both gasp and duck flop onto the ground, panicked thoughts racing through my mind. 

"Colin?! Get yer bloody butt over here!" Someone shouts at us in a heavy Scottish accent. Well, you. You pop up and...

On the Last Day of the World

The Last Day of the World

On the last day of the world
I'm not sure what I'd do.
I'd most likely run around frantic
As if I were two. 
Because all of this is true
I speak all out to you.
My reader
Of which you humble are.

On the last day of the world
I'd write a new one,
And hold on tight.
I'd keep it safe
Without any fight.
I'd love every minute
With all of my might. 
Because,
I trust my heart
To know what's right
So...

On the last day of the world
I'm going to do it my way,
Our way,
The way of this dying world,
As long as it may be.

Why I Write

Why I Write

I write because of the feeling. When you understand something so fully even if it isn't real. 

I write because I wish it were real. It tests the boundaries of what is real. The characters might not be, but you feel something real

I write for people. To inspire them with tales of people that aren't so different from them, just in different circumstances.

I write because it's me. I put all of me into my writing, even if I'm not a character. I am vulnerable in the best way possible. 

I write for hope. The hope that there is always another day. 

I write for the love that we feel with the characters. 

I write because the characters are here for me. I'm simply returning the favor. 

I write because I don't talk. Just because I can speak doesn't mean I always want to!

I write because it's wrong to connect so much. 

I write in despite of it.
...

The Narrator: Part 3

"This is not going to work." You hiss at me. I roll my eyes and draw my attention back to the truck. We managed to make our way back to the edge of your town and found a UPS delivery truck on it's usual deliveries. There are two drivers inspecting the box truck, one of them is tan and chubby with curly black hair that's covered almost completely by his uniform hat, and the other man appears to be in his early twenties and his skin is darker than I've ever seen. 

"Oh hush yourself!" I whisper to you. We're crouched down behind a cluster of bare trees, attempting to keep our breath clouds hidden from the drivers. 

"But we're never going to get across town hidden in a UPS truck!" You shoot back to me and I roll my eyes once again. You can really be annoying (once again no offense). Oh, but you do have a point. 
...

Not All is Lost: Prologue

"Meow?"

"I'm almost ready Kujo." I reassure the silky black cat. He continues to glare at me with bright green eyes from his perch on the dresser. I continue to scurry around the small room, throwing things haphazardly into my large leather suitcase. 

"Meow?" he continues to question me and I begin to feel annoyed, continuing my hasty packing while I argue with him. 

"You know we have to go. It just wouldn't be right to stay!" I shoot back at him. Kujo only growls at me and hops off of the dresser, moving over to the nightstand that matches the dresser. The nightstand is positioned next to a twin sized bed that has metal frames and a dark navy-blue comforter that covers the white sheets. The suitcase is thrown on top of the bed, several items that missed it are now lying in odd places all over the place. I tear into the nightstand drawer and...

The Narrator: Part 2

Yeah. We're lost. Ugh! How did this happen? Why did this happen to me? How am I significant in any way to this story? I'm actually asking here! I guess there are more important things to worry about. I examine the surrounding forest, a collection of bare trees that appear to almost be shivering in the late November chill. I'm freezing. I can't believe the writer put me in a skirt and off the shoulder top. She knew what she was doing! I sigh, watching as my warm breath swirls in a cloud. Twigs crunch under our feet. You took the moment to through on some sneakers before we left, but other than that you're still dressed in pajamas. 

"Well, now that we're lost in the middle of nowhere," I pause for dramatic effect, "Would you mind explaining a few things?!" I raise my voice and it caries through the naked forest. 

"Talk a little louder maybe they'll find...

The Narrator: Part 2

Dialogue Dexterity

Said and Unsaid

She rushed out onto the balcony. Her thin face was flustered from all of the excitement and at her anger at him. He stood near the edge of the balcony, leaning over the rail so carefree as the wind tossed his dark hair. All she could think about was how great of a picture it would make with the trillions of stars glistening down on him. 

"No!" she scolded herself, "Don't get distracted."  

She continued her pursuit towards him. He knew now that she was coming for him. He'd always known, but refused to let himself anticipate her arrival. 

"What is your problem?" she angrily shouted at him. Her tone was stone cold and her hands were perched on her hips. White noise from conversations still raging inside the diner floated out to them, but it was all in the background to him. He refused to look back at her. He wouldn't, he couldn't. However,...

Talking to “You”

The Narrator: Part 1

Open your eyes...
  Come on now...
  You don't need to hide from me...

Slap! 

"Ow!" you shout and sit up in bed. 

"Sorry, but I'm not sorry. That was fun!" I exclaim and you sit up in bed. You look at me with a deadly stare that soon changes to a look of horror. 

"Who are you?" your voice trembles in panic. Dang it! Writers am I right? I can't believe she put me in this situation. I'm not supposed to be in the books! I'm called the narrator for a reason! I narrator and no more! Yet here I am. In your room. In the story. This is not how this day was supposed to go. I sigh and look at you from under my eyelashes. 

"I'm the Narrator. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Now what's your problem so I can get out of here?" I hold out a hand...

Talking to “You”

The Narrator: Part 1

Open your eyes...
  Come on now...
  You don't need to hid from me...

Slap! 

"Ow!" you shout and sit up in bed. 

Forgotten Voyage Chapter 2

The Next Morning…
“Capn’!” I jump from my spot slouched against the desk in my office. I must have fallen asleep while I was working late. Then it all comes back to me. After a weird conversation with Kathleen I came back down here to plot our next course on a map. I look up to see Corkscrew looming above me. His bald head is smudged with what I assume is dirt and he doesn’t have any eyebrows. I heard he lost his eyebrows when the last ship he worked on sank, but I don’t know the whole story. His bony arms are folded in frustration.
“What Corkscrew?” I ask him, slowly lifting myself onto my feet.
“I’m steering the ship today, sir,” Corkscrew says in a no nonsense tone, “Did you finish the map?”
“Yeah,” I scramble through the many maps on my desk until I finally find the one I spent all night working on, “Here. Go...

Omniscient Lens

The All-Knowing Narrator

There are people who love their jobs. People that are artists or own their own business. Well, police officers and firefighters don't have anything on me! I know all. Every thought. Every action. And I can present it in anyway I see fit. I have the most important part of any story, even if I'm not always in it. Of course, that's all my opinion, but who are you to tell me otherwise. Once my words are in print, what you think doesn't matter. Your thoughts and emotions can't change the outcome of the story. Which leads me into my next point. I have the most power of anyone. I can get rid of a character without having to lift a finger. However, that's enough about me, but heed my warning. When it comes to what has to be done, I won't be shedding tears. You might, but I won't. I can't build those connections that you can, and...

Open Prompt

Forgotten Voyage

Prologue

I stomp into the bar, soaking wet from the downpour outside. I slump over to the bar and flop myself out across the counter. My head hit the counter harder than it was supposed to, I can feel a bruise forming that’s going to cause me trouble tomorrow. I let out an exasperated sigh as the bartender sets a glass down with a thud. The sound of ice clinking against glass echos through my skull.
“Having some troubles?” Jim, the bartender, asks me with a concerned tone. I’m not in here unless something’s wrong so he knows what to expect when I’m here.
“Yeah,” I respond, voice muffled by the counter.
“How bad?” I glare up at Jim, “Oh, that bad?” I nod before planting my face back onto the smooth counter. The door suddenly bursts open and I groan, well aware of what’s coming my way.
“James,” my friend George storms in, wet black hair pulled into a...

Open Prompt

Forgotten Voyage

“James,” my friend George storms in, wet black hair pulled into a ponytail....