Me!

Phytocat

Aspiring author
Aspiring composer
Musician
"The sky may be my first love, but music will always be my true love."
~Me

"You taught me the courage of stars before you left.
How light carries on endlessly, even after death.
With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite.
How rare and beautiful it is to even exist."
Saturn - Sleeping at Last

"With golden string
our universe was brought to life,
that we may fall in love
every time we open up our eyes."
Sun - Sleeping at Last

"We could change this whole world with a piano
Add a bass, some guitar, grab a beat and away we go
Sing, love could change the world in a moment
But what do I know
Love can change the world in a moment
But what do I know?
Love can change the world in a moment."
What Do I Know - Ed Sheeran

Me!
Hazel levesque

Phytocat (United States) started following Sarorah (United States)

Me!

Phytocat (United States) liked The Symphony by GodsGirl4 (United States)

Me!

Phytocat (United States) published:

The Mountain

Cam sat in the camp just below the cave of the monster. Puffs of white floated up from his nose and mouth as his breath came out in ragged gasps. He shifted uncomfortably on the hard med cot. The bandages on his sides scraped against the gaping wounds splayed over his stomach. He sighed for the hundredth time of the night as he once again tried to find a position to sleep that wouldn't give him unrelenting pain.
After spending...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Me!
1b6a96f9 04cd 43aa 845f 711df4ddca11

Phytocat (United States) started following I.C. Fynnheart (United States)

Me!
1
1

Phytocat (United States) published:

Dismay

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

Alexander walked along the shore of the beach. The normally sunny beach seemed to be reflecting his dismal emotion. Waves gently lapped over the sand and cold water uncomfortably splashed over his feet. Heavy clouds hung over the island, threatening to release their contents and provide a downpour on the dying plants and yet, not a single drop fell. Thunder rumbled far in the distance. When Alexander looked out at the sea, he could see heavy rainfall coming down. It...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Me!

Phytocat (United States) liked Omni-Happy: My December by Patrick Boey (Australia)

Me!

Phytocat (United States) liked Maverick Twain: Chapter 1 (Triple the Tears) by Patrick Boey (Australia)

Me!

Phytocat (United States) liked Lost at Sea by Reanimated (United States)

Me!

Phytocat (United States) published:

Fade

Prologue
    The day the stars faded was terrifying for all of humankind. The one thing that they thought would always be a constant suddenly disappeared. It happened slowly, then all at once. At first it was just a few stars twinkling out of existence, but soon every single pinpoint of light had become emptiness. The stars faded and left only darkness. Things immediately fell into disrepair. Riots in the streets, people yelling that it was the end of the world,...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Me!

Phytocat (United States) liked Maverick Twain: Prologue (The Incident of December 1999) by Patrick Boey (Australia)

The Mountain

After spending too much time adjusting, Cam got up from the cot. He wrapped thick furs around himself, grabbed his crutch and limped out the front flap of his tent. The outside air was even colder than it was inside the tent. Dull embers of a once massive bonfire, glowed ever so slightly and provided the slightest bit of warmth. Cam stepped up to the fire and started to coax it back to life. Once it had regained strength, he sat down...

Setting as Mood

Dismay

Alexander walked along the shore of the beach. The normally sunny beach seemed to be reflecting his dismal emotion. Waves gently lapped over the sand and cold water uncomfortably splashed over his feet. Heavy clouds hung over the island, threatening to release their contents and provide a downpour on the dying plants and yet, not a single drop fell. Thunder rumbled far in the distance. When Alexander looked out at the sea, he could see heavy rainfall coming down. It was so close to the island, but at the same time, so far. The others hid within the mansion, their sobs and wails echoing throughout the grounds. Their very presence added an unpleasant chill to the air. Alexander sighed. Those mortals were so weak, however, somehow they couldn't understand how grandly their emotions controlled the world around them.

Fade

Prologue
    The day the stars faded was terrifying for all of humankind. The one thing that they thought would always be a constant suddenly disappeared. It happened slowly, then all at once. At first it was just a few stars twinkling out of existence, but soon every single pinpoint of light had become emptiness. The stars faded and left only darkness. Things immediately fell into disrepair. Riots in the streets, people yelling that it was the end of the world, it was pandemonium. Most locked their doors and waited for the chaos to pass over, those that didn’t were slaughtered or taken by rioters. The first night was frightening to say the least.
    The morning was worse. When the sun rose, it didn’t bring with it the bright yellow glow or the warmth of the burning ball of gas. It was more like a ball of dull gray metal suspended in the sky. Some streets were filled to the brim...

Ten Words to You

Home is Where the Heart is

Concrete walls
Fresh new carpet
Gleaming instruments
and joyous laughter

Is This Love?

"Soya! Look at me!" Amoral grabbed Soya's arm roughly and forced her to look at him. "You need to stop living in the past! He's gone, he's dead, but I'm here now and I need you!" Tears brimmed in his eyes. He choked back a sob.
"Stop saying that. You'll never be like Alec." She spat out the words as she yanked her arm away from him. "I have business to take care of. Leave me."
Amoral scoffed. He straightened out his back and towered over the tiny nocturne. "I'm not some slave you can just order around Soya. You and I, we're in this together. I told you I loved you and I meant it." He stooped down so he could be eye to eye with Soya again.
Soya turned and faced Amoral. Her eyes were solid black. Long black spines erupted from her back and dripped a thick black liquid. When she spoke, it the voice of a...

Soulmates? (Pt.3)

Jordan turned off the vacuum and unplugged it. He wrapped up the cord and stored it in the small closet by the bathroom. He sighed. He was so unsure about Sam coming over. It was a bad idea to invite him over to his house. Jordan thought that he should've said to meet at a park. He wished he had Sam's number so he could change the meeting place, but it was too late. Sam was coming over after football practice. Jordan had no clue what he was going to do once Sam arrived. They didn't have anything in common. Sam was athletic and sporty and popular and always had a herd of people fawning over him. Jordan was the exact opposite. He was shy and an artist and always kept to himself. Jordan glanced around the living room. His paintings adorned the walls and many sat on easels, waiting for their finishing touches. Jordan flopped down on the couch...

Soulmates? (Pt.2)

Jordan nervously shuffled down the hallway. He shifted the heavy weight of backpack onto one shoulder and tried to avoid being seen by Sam. The events from the day before had left him shaken. He kept replaying the memory in his head over and over and over again. Sam, dragging him into the bathroom and practically confessing his love. Sam, showing Jordan the phoenix tattoo that Jordan had grown so fond off, the phoenix tattoo spreading over his muscular and gorgeous- no. Jordan forced the thought out of his head. He would never be able to fall for Sam. He felt bad though. If Jordan chose not to be with Sam, then Sam would never be happy. As they say, one can never be truly happy without their soulmate. Jordan's deep thoughts were interrupted by an all too familiar voice.
"Hey Jordan. Mind if I walk with you?" A light red tinged Sam's cheeks. His hands were jammed into his...

The Thing About Words

The thing about words is that no matter how hard you try, once words have been spoken they can't be taken back. It's like opening a bag of feathers in the middle of a tornado and trying to get them all back. It's impossible and only a fool would think that words can be unsaid. The thing about words is that words were thoughts. Although innocent enough, words said with real intent were thought about. Jokingly teasing a friend is different, those words come out without much thought, meant to jest at someone. It's the words that explode out when they aren't meant to. The ones that sting. The ones that dig into the brain and ingrain themselves as a seed of doubt. Words are powerful. They can build or destroy. People must be careful of what they say.

Soulmates?

Jordan walked down the hallways of the high school. He pulled his black jacket around himself tighter, hoping that maybe he would go by unnoticed. He crinkled his nose at the sight of all the happy couples. The only people that were together were the soulmates. Those who had found their matching tattoo. It was so rare for people to find their one true match in high school. Jordan sighed. His soulmate was probably halfway around the globe. He continued to stalk down the hallway, wallowing in his own self-loathing. Then, Jordan spotted Sam. Sam, the guy who always beat him up, stole his money, and forced Jordan to give him answers to homework assignments. Jordan tried to make his way to the other side of the hall, but it was too late.
Sam glanced around to make sure no one was looking before slamming Jordan into the wall. Jordan winced in pain as one of his pencils threatened to...

Novel Writing Competition

Paradoxical - Prologue

The camera sitting in the corner whirs to life. A bright red light, just above the lens, turns on to indicate it’s recording. A young man steps into the frame. He looks tired and seems as though he hasn’t cleaned himself up in weeks. Deep bags hang under his emerald green eyes. His black hair is matted against his head. He runs his long, pale fingers through his hair before speaking.
“Hello, my name is William Samuels. I am nineteen years old and I have figured out the fourth dimension. I will spare you the details, if you wish to know, you can visit my website, but this is about the portal. I theorize that going through a hole in the fourth dimension will allow time travel.” He steps up to the camera and turns it so it faces a large machine. It stands dormant, but next to it is a panel of switches and levers, used to turn it...

Revelation

"Do you get it!?" I excitedly bounce next to my friend. A strange book is clasped tightly in my hands. I stare up at my friend, pleading with my eyes that maybe someone will understand my newest idea.
"Even if I did get it, you're talking too fast. Maybe just slow it down." She stares ahead, probably not even that interested about my idea, but I don't care. I have to say it, I have to set my idea free from my brain.
"Well, in this book," I hold up the strange book, "it talks about space and different planets and I was thinking about space and then I was thinking about the fourth dimension and then I thought about what would happen if there was a hole through the fourth dimension. It would be so cool! If you went through the hole, you'd have no clue when you'd come out." I stress the word 'when' as I raise my...

Why I Write

Worlds Unknown

The stars stretch endlessly across the sky. Even beyond that, they reach out into the darkness of space and continue on. If each star were to contain a planet suitable for life and if each star were to a planet, or more, inhabited by humans that means that there are countless numbers of people out there. Countless numbers of stories being told, laughs being shared, tears being shed and it's all just out of our reach, unless you're a writer or a reader. To those of us who enjoy drowning in a good book, these distant worlds aren't so distant. Dystopian worlds with corrupt leader, planets where animals are supreme rather than humans, jungle planets with man eating plants, diseases that wipe out civilizations, magic, space travel, science, all things that we could not fathom happening on our own little Earth. Writing provides a way to explore the cosmos from the safety of your home. Writing allows travel between parallel...

On the Last Day of the World

When Everything Ends

On the last day of the world, when everything falls apart, rather ravaged by war or whittled away by disease, there will be music. Crisp, clear notes will ring out from the roof tops. They will proclaim of better times and happiness, of love and understanding, of peace and prosperity. All around, everything will be falling away, but the dreams and music of one girl will remain. As people grasp onto what little they have left or cry out to whatever god they believe in, music will drift through the air. It will compel those that hear it to wish they had done better, been better. And as the crimson blood washes down the streets like a river, as screams of sorrow fill the air like a twisted symphony, as the scent of fire and ash infiltrate every space, as regret lies heavily on everyone's heart, the music will play. Then, suddenly it will disappear. Gone. Just like everything else....

The Art of Specificity

Differences

The clearing was beautiful.

The moonlight shone down on the clearing and reflected the dew covered grass beautifully.

The moonlight cascaded through the branches of trees reaching their limbs into the clearing. Cold dew clung to the grass and shone in the moonlight. Everything seemed to hold their breath at the beauty of it.

Lost Heirs (Chapter Three)

"Autem, did you see? A new family just moved in down the street." Otium stood in the middle of the property. He was helping Autem and Inanis prune the orchard. "I think it was a wyrm and two wyverns, but I might be wrong." He was sure that he was right, but Autem hated when the twins acted vain or thought they knew more than they actually did. Otium hated that. He was seventeen, old enough to leave the house, and yet she still treated them like children.
    "Well, so long as they're not humans, I suppose you can meet them, but make sure you get back by sundown." Autem continued to pull branches away from tree.
    Inanis yanked the last of the dead branches from her tree, then raced to the other side of the property. Autem made note of it, but choose to ignore it. Inanis was always doing weird things. Inanis...

Lost Heirs (Chapter Two)

Faith Tesra tapped her foot irritably. Her large desk was all that stood between herself and a very angry drake. Prodo glared across the desk at Faith.
    "Juva wants to know what happened to her egg. We thought that your human facilities could keep it safe, but we're starting to doubt that. Don't make us do anything we don't want to." 
    Faith scoffed. She narrowed her eyes and slowly stood up. Her black heels clicked on the wooden floors as she moved to stand in front of Prodo. "That sounds awfully like a threat and I know your Queen could have you executed if she learns that you're out here trying to start wars. So how 'bout you stop pointing fingers and I won't let Juva know of your disrespectful nature." She brought her nails up to her face and inspected her reflection in their glossy white surface. She pushed her glasses up and stared at Prodo. He opened his...

Lost Heirs (Chapter One)

The large dragon stared down at the egg in her nest. She flared out her black, leathery wings and wrapped them around the egg. It had been many weeks since she stole the egg and she had started to become concerned about its well-being. She circled the nest once more before settling with the egg tucked under her neck. She drifted off into a light and fitful sleep. She only meant to cause her sister harm, she never wanted to become attached to the egg or the hatchlings within.
    She awoke to the sound of something cracking. She quickly sprang up from the nest and stared out the large window of her home. She scanned the horizon with her piercing gray eyes before she realized the sound was coming from the egg. She crouched low so she was eye level with egg. It shook a bit, then fell on its side and cracked open. Two hatchlings pulled their...

Look at Me

I'm here. I've always been here. I'll never leave, but you don't see me. You only see them. I'm yours. I'm not going anywhere, yet somehow you always forget about me. I blend into the background, but how? I'm loud and colorful and extroverted, but you only see them. It's because they're like you. They take after you, but I'm so different. You see me as a nobody, but I'm here.
I'M HERE.

The Worst Moments

Sometimes the worst things happen so quickly, you might miss them if you blink. Everything could fall apart in just a second. They happen so quickly, you don't even expect them. 
And that's what makes it worse.
It hits you like a wall, an invisible wall. You never saw it, you never wanted it, but it happened and now it can't be changed. Words can't be unsaid. Looks can't be unseen. Hits can't be repaired. 
Nothing can be undone.

The Girl in the Red Jacket

It was just a fleeting glimpse. It was only brief eye contact. It was simply a wave. It was a pleasant smile. On a foggy day, many moons ago, I saw a girl in a red jacket. Her hair was red, her eyes were green. She was staring up at space and seemed slightly confused. I asked her if she was lost. She said she was lost in her thoughts. I knew not what else to say, for she then smiled and walked away. She turned back for just a moment and waved. Her hair swished over her shoulder, her boots clicked on the floors. I wish I would've asked her name, but all I know is she had a red jacket.

Talking to “You”

Difficult Mornings

You wake up to the sound of someone banging on your bedroom door. The sun hasn't even risen yet, it's too early for this. You glance down at your alarm clock and realize that you should've been awake half an hour ago. You don't care enough to be in a rush, so you lazily climb out of bed and pull on the outfit for today. Your dog has been barking nonstop since the knock on the door. You try to soothe him, but he's too jittery. Still rubbing the sleep out of your eyes, you open the door and quickly traverse the stairs. You're assaulted by the scent of bacon, not for you of course, and dog. The other three dogs rush to your feet and jump at the back of your legs. You struggle to keep yourself upright and push through the hoard. You go to the kitchen to get breakfast, but are immediately yelled at. Apparently there's no...

Flash Autobiography

Simple, Yet Profound

It was a perfectly clear day. Unfortunately it was also extraordinarily hot. We were in the middle of a marching band rehearsal. The sun was beating down on the black pavement and reflecting off of the shiny instruments. We finished rehearsing the drill and took a water break. I jogged to the front sideline to talk to my friend and one of the drum majors. The drum major left and told us we could go up onto his podium if we wanted. At first, I was hesitant. I didn't want to get in trouble with the band director or look like an idiot, but my curiosity got the best of me. I climbed up the steps and shakily stood up. The gentle breeze blew my hair. I could smell the freshly cut grass. I could see all the way to the soccer fields. I put my hands on my hips. Time seemed to slow down. I got such a profound...

Lost Heirs (Prologue)

The cold air bites at Sam’s arms, even through her heavy coat. She rushes down the street, carrying the precious package in her arms. She pulls it into her coat, hoping to give it warmth. The snow falls in thick sheets, causing a lack of visibility. Sam looks around, lost. She spins around, trying to see where she came from. Unfortunately, the snow has already covered her tracks. She rushes forward, hoping and praying that she’s going in the right way.
    Sam stumbles over the uneven ground and falls. The ground underneath her shatters. She tumbles through the air and lands into the bottom of an underground cavern. She looks upward, hopelessly. The snow lands gently on her face. Tears start spilling from her eyes. She knows she will not be able to deliver the package in time.
    Sam gets up and walks to the edge of the cavern, where no snow is coming in. A lick of...

Year by Year

The Complexity that is Me

Year One: I was brought into existence, a small thing that barely weighed five pounds.
Year Two: I was dropped down a flight of stairs and had a small brain bleed, surgery followed.
Year Three: I started ballet, I was clumsy and uncoordinated, but I tried.
Year Four: I entered preschool, I was a total bully.
Year Five: I entered kindergarten, we colored a lot.
Year Six: I aced the entrance exam and started second grade.
Year Seven: I met my new step-family.
Year Eight: I was baptized into my church.
Year Nine: I moved from the beautiful mountains to the endless corn fields.
Year Ten: I started playing the baritone and learned a newfound love for music.
Year Eleven: I was one of the few seventh graders to be a part of a massive musical performance.
Year Twelve: I embarrassed myself by tripping over a tuba case after a very important audition.
Year Thirteen: I started marching band and discovered...

Do You Remember?

Do you remember the day we met? So many years ago. We were fated to meet on a stage of course, surrounded by mediocre musicians and beautiful music. I knew no one. I was an island, totally alone and you spoke to me. I was scared and you were my friend. You sat with me and made me laugh. I could always remember your voice and your music and your instrument, but I always forgot your face. I always thought back to that day. And you. My dear friend. Then, we met again. In the parking lot, surrounded by great musicians and mediocre music. I recognized who you were, but I don't think you realized it was me. You treated me like a stranger and my passive nature overtook me once again. I was too shy to speak, to ask.
"Do you remember me?"

The Spirits

Regalis lounged lazily in the petals of a large rose. He stared up at the thick canopy and cursed Venandari for covering up what had been a previously marvelous view of the sky. He pulled his wings tight around his body and waited for the reckless imperial to come tromping through the forest. He knew that Venandari could hear his curses. As if right on cue, Venandari ripped the rose from the ground and dumped Regalis onto the ground. Venandari pressed the tip of his claw, which was nearly bigger than Regalis’ head, on Regalis’ throat. Regalis smiled and phased through his head. Eventually, Regalis landed on Venandari’s nose. Venandari crossed his eyes to see the tiny spirit.
“Stop cursing me. Your stupid roses are hurting the dragons I’m trying to protect.” Venandari glared at Regalis.
“Well, your stupid woods are keeping the dragons I want to kill in.” Regalis hissed at Venandari and flew off of his nose so...

Black and White

The world around me is always so black and white. It’s right or it’s wrong. There’s no middle ground of gray and there’s also no color. Life is just plain and simple, but simple is boring. It’s dull and sad and unwanted. That’s why I love music. Music is the color is an otherwise blank world. I go about my day in a lull. Never really having to think much, never having to do much, not showing much emotion, but the second I step into the band room, it all changes. It’s like I was blind and suddenly I can see. I’m surrounded by great musicians and the wonderful sounds of instruments. I once stood in a world of black and white, but in the band room, I see in color. Everything makes sense. I can play my baritone and the rest of the world fades away. It’s just me and my music. I don’t feel the heat of the...

Broken

I remember that old case. It always sat by my piano. The case was black and plastic. There was fabric covering the plastic. It was fraying at the seams and had tears in it. In some places, the fabric was wearing down. Inside, it held very precious cargo. A redwood violin. My mother had made it. She had worked in her wood shop for many weeks, to fashion the beautiful instrument. She made it from an enormous redwood tree in our backyard. She called some of the men from our church to help her cut it down. She sold all the spare wood to carpenters and old widows. I remember seeing her in her shop, with a huge smile on her face, carefully sculpting the violin. Making the violin was the last thing I remember seeing her do that made her happy.
My oldest sister died soon after the violin was finished. She was in a car accident. Before the...

Phytocat's 28 Likes

The Symphony by GodsGirl4

Published 6 days ago

Omni-Happy: My December by Patrick Boey

Published 11 days ago

Lost at Sea by Reanimated

Published 15 days ago

Dulcet Denouement by Patrick Boey

Published 23 days ago

Years Passing by dreamingpoet

Published 23 days ago

she loves me not by Sophia Zhou

Published 23 days ago

Wish I Would've Said by RedWriter

Published about 1 month ago

Alan by RedWriter

Published 25 days ago

limbo by fanimeluv

Published about 1 month ago

Wind Ensemble Woes by Reanimated

Published about 1 month ago

Shades of Heaven by Molly Ko

Published about 2 months ago

100 Reasons to Live by DipsyDoodle

Published about 2 months ago

False Love by Parker Lewis

Published about 2 months ago

him by DarkLonelyNights

Published about 2 months ago

The Failure of Death by Simon D.

Published about 2 months ago

Sneezonic Ritual by neo7v

Published about 2 months ago

Faded Yellow Desk by neo7v

Published about 2 months ago

The Rational Irrationality by Deena Yu-Fawcett

Published about 2 months ago

Love's a Funny Word by Ramen

Published 2 months ago

Mistakenly Dead by neo7v

Published 2 months ago

Saturday of Tears and Ice Cream by neo7v

Published 2 months ago

Stay Quiet, It's Okay by Aiden.is.Justice

Published 2 months ago

The Art of Losing by zingcognito

Published 7 months ago

26 Likes from Others

Dismay

Liked by 1 person

Home is Where the Heart is

Liked by 1 person

The Thing About Words

Liked by 1 person

Soulmates? (Pt.3)

Liked by 1 person

Soulmates? (Pt.2)

Liked by 1 person

Broken Home

Liked by 1 person

Look at Me

Liked by 3 people

Soulmates?

Liked by 1 person

Paradoxical - Prologue

Liked by 2 people

Worlds Unknown

Liked by 1 person

Simple, Yet Profound

Liked by 2 people

When Everything Ends

Liked by 1 person

Differences

Liked by 2 people

Lost Heirs (Chapter Three)

Liked by 1 person

The Worst Moments

Liked by 1 person

Black and White

Liked by 3 people

Difficult Mornings

Liked by 1 person

Lost Heirs (Chapter One)

Liked by 1 person

The Complexity that is Me

Liked by 2 people

Lost Heirs (Prologue)

Liked by 1 person

Do You Remember?

Liked by 2 people

Broken

Liked by 3 people

The Spirits

Liked by 1 person

Slow Down

Liked by 1 person

Hybrid

Liked by 1 person

Fade

Liked by 2 people

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 2 months ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 2 months ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned 2 months ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned 23 days ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 2 months ago

Power writer

Do you ever sleep? You've written over TEN THOUSAND WORDS.

Earned about 2 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 2 months ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned about 2 months ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 2 months ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned about 2 months ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned about 2 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 25 days ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.