Ermergerd

Phytocat

I am a struggling high school student who seeks refuge in writing fictional worlds and creating beautiful music.

Writing allows us to create places of perfect chaos.

Ermergerd

Phytocat (United States) published:

Lost Heirs (Prologue)

The cold air bites at Sam’s arms, even through her heavy coat. She rushes down the street, carrying the precious package in her arms. She pulls it into her coat, hoping to give it warmth. The snow falls in thick sheets, causing a lack of visibility. Sam looks around, lost. She spins around, trying to see where she came from. Unfortunately, the snow has already covered her tracks. She rushes forward, hoping and praying that she’s going in the right...

Seeking Peer Reviews

27 minutes ago

Ermergerd
1

Phytocat (United States) published:

The Complexity that is Me

PROMPT: Year by Year

Year One: I was brought into existence, a small thing that barely weighed five pounds.
Year Two: I was dropped down a flight of stairs and had a small brain bleed, surgery followed.
Year Three: I started ballet, I was clumsy and uncoordinated, but I tried.
Year Four: I entered preschool, I was a total bully.
Year Five: I entered kindergarten, we colored a lot.
Year Six: I aced the entrance exam and started second grade.
Year Seven: I met my...

about 6 hours ago

Ermergerd
2

Phytocat (United States) published:

Do You Remember?

Do you remember the day we met? So many years ago. We were fated to meet on a stage of course, surrounded by mediocre musicians and beautiful music. I knew no one. I was an island, totally alone and you spoke to me. I was scared and you were my friend. You sat with me and made me laugh. I could always remember your voice and your music and your instrument, but I always forgot your face. I always thought...

about 9 hours ago

Ermergerd

Phytocat (United States) liked The Rational Irrationality by Deena Yu-Fawcett (Australia)

about 10 hours ago

Ermergerd

Phytocat (United States) liked Love's a Funny Word by disappointment (United States)

Ermergerd

Phytocat (United States) liked Mistakenly Dead by neo7v (United States)

Ermergerd

Phytocat (United States) liked Saturday of Tears and Ice Cream by neo7v (United States)

Ermergerd
Kill me

Phytocat (United States) started following Reanimated (United States)

Ermergerd
Leader

Phytocat (United States) earned a badge Leader

Ermergerd
1

Phytocat (United States) published:

The Spirits

Regalis lounged lazily in the petals of a large rose. He stared up at the thick canopy and cursed Venandari for covering up what had been a previously marvelous view of the sky. He pulled his wings tight around his body and waited for the reckless imperial to come tromping through the forest. He knew that Venandari could hear his curses. As if right on cue, Venandari ripped the rose from the ground and dumped Regalis onto the ground. Venandari...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lost Heirs (Prologue)

The cold air bites at Sam’s arms, even through her heavy coat. She rushes down the street, carrying the precious package in her arms. She pulls it into her coat, hoping to give it warmth. The snow falls in thick sheets, causing a lack of visibility. Sam looks around, lost. She spins around, trying to see where she came from. Unfortunately, the snow has already covered her tracks. She rushes forward, hoping and praying that she’s going in the right way.
    Sam stumbles over the uneven ground and falls. The ground underneath her shatters. She tumbles through the air and lands into the bottom of an underground cavern. She looks upward, hopelessly. The snow lands gently on her face. Tears start spilling from her eyes. She knows she will not be able to deliver the package in time.
    Sam gets up and walks to the edge of the cavern, where no snow is coming in. A lick of...

Year by Year

The Complexity that is Me

Year Seven: I met my new step-family.
Year Eight: I was baptized into my church.
Year Nine: I moved from the beautiful mountains to the endless corn fields.
Year Ten: I started playing the baritone and learned a newfound love for music.
Year Eleven: I was one of the few seventh graders to be a part of a massive musical performance.
Year Twelve: I embarrassed myself by tripping over a tuba case after a very important audition.
Year Thirteen: I started marching band and discovered...

Do You Remember?

Do you remember the day we met? So many years ago. We were fated to meet on a stage of course, surrounded by mediocre musicians and beautiful music. I knew no one. I was an island, totally alone and you spoke to me. I was scared and you were my friend. You sat with me and made me laugh. I could always remember your voice and your music and your instrument, but I always forgot your face. I always thought back to that day. And you. My dear friend. Then, we met again. In the parking lot, surrounded by great musicians and mediocre music. I recognized who you were, but I don't think you realized it was me. You treated me like a stranger and my passive nature overtook me once again. I was too shy to speak, to ask.
"Do you remember me?"

The Spirits

Regalis lounged lazily in the petals of a large rose. He stared up at the thick canopy and cursed Venandari for covering up what had been a previously marvelous view of the sky. He pulled his wings tight around his body and waited for the reckless imperial to come tromping through the forest. He knew that Venandari could hear his curses. As if right on cue, Venandari ripped the rose from the ground and dumped Regalis onto the ground. Venandari pressed the tip of his claw, which was nearly bigger than Regalis’ head, on Regalis’ throat. Regalis smiled and phased through his head. Eventually, Regalis landed on Venandari’s nose. Venandari crossed his eyes to see the tiny spirit.
“Stop cursing me. Your stupid roses are hurting the dragons I’m trying to protect.” Venandari glared at Regalis.
“Well, your stupid woods are keeping the dragons I want to kill in.” Regalis hissed at Venandari and flew off of his nose so...

Black and White

The world around me is always so black and white. It’s right or it’s wrong. There’s no middle ground of gray and there’s also no color. Life is just plain and simple, but simple is boring. It’s dull and sad and unwanted. That’s why I love music. Music is the color is an otherwise blank world. I go about my day in a lull. Never really having to think much, never having to do much, not showing much emotion, but the second I step into the band room, it all changes. It’s like I was blind and suddenly I can see. I’m surrounded by great musicians and the wonderful sounds of instruments. I once stood in a world of black and white, but in the band room, I see in color. Everything makes sense. I can play my baritone and the rest of the world fades away. It’s just me and my music. I don’t feel the heat of the...

Fade

Prologue
    The day the stars faded was terrifying for all of humankind. The one thing that they thought would always be a constant suddenly disappeared. It happened slowly, then all at once. At first it was just a few stars twinkling out of existence, but soon every single pinpoint of light had become emptiness. The stars faded and left only darkness. Things immediately fell into disrepair. Riots in the streets, people yelling that it was the end of the world, it was pandemonium. Most locked their doors and waited for the chaos to pass over, those that didn’t were slaughtered or taken by rioters. The first night was frightening to say that least.
    The morning was worse. When the sun rose, it didn’t bring with it the bright yellow glow or the warmth of the burning ball of gas. It was more like a ball of dull gray metal suspended in the sky. Some streets were filled to the brim...

Broken

I remember that old case. It always sat by my piano. The case was black and plastic. There was fabric covering the plastic. It was fraying at the seams and had tears in it. In some places, the fabric was wearing down. Inside, it held very precious cargo. A redwood violin. My mother had made it. She had worked in her wood shop for many weeks, to fashion the beautiful instrument. She made it from an enormous redwood tree in our backyard. She called some of the men from our church to help her cut it down. She sold all the spare wood to carpenters and old widows. I remember seeing her in her shop, with a huge smile on her face, carefully sculpting the violin. Making the violin was the last thing I remember seeing her do that made her happy.
My oldest sister died soon after the violin was finished. She was in a car accident. Before the...

Phytocat's 7 Likes

The Rational Irrationality by Deena Yu-Fawcett

Published about 10 hours ago

Love's a Funny Word by disappointment

Published 2 days ago

Mistakenly Dead by neo7v

Published 5 days ago

Saturday of Tears and Ice Cream by neo7v

Published 3 days ago

Stay Quiet, It's Okay by Life_Kore

Published 4 days ago

The Art of Losing by zingcognito

Published 5 months ago

8 Likes from Others

The Complexity that is Me

Liked by 1 person

Do You Remember?

Liked by 2 people

Broken

Liked by 3 people

The Spirits

Liked by 1 person

Slow Down

Liked by 1 person

Hybrid

Liked by 1 person

Black and White

Liked by 2 people

Fade

Liked by 2 people

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 6 days ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 4 days ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned 4 days ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 3 days ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 4 days ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 3 days ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Competitor inactive

It's as easy as entering a competition to earn this badge.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Reviewer inactive

Just write and submit a review to become a reviewer. Get to it!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.