Juniper Sora

"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."--Oscar Wilde

Place Poem

Grandpa's House

A big walnut tree
And rings of fallen walnuts surrounding it
The house, tall, white, and dirty 
With a porch, home to doves
The rusty chain link fence
And Sadie the husky behind it
The stairs inside, steep and carpeted 
And the cellar that I never went in
Wooden cabinets topped with birdhouses
And the front door, always open

Love in 13 Words

Shoelaces

Love: tying his shoes, though he knows how, just to see his smile.

Monostich

Cabin Fever

Going to London and Wyoming and Florida and driving all along Route 66 is my escape--if only it weren't through a screen.     

“In January”

In January

It should have been a snow day, we said. 
Just to whine, we reunited 
A collective grumble was the thunder to our storm as we stood together 
For the first time in a long time

“In January”

In January

Just to whine, we reunited 
For the first time in a long time

Intentions and Invocations

Chains

Our hands link in a chain of unity
Henceforth we commit ourselves to virtue in a chain of kindness
May our smiles, our laughs, and our prayers be the links of our human solidarity
May we never pull or push to hard as to break the chain
And may we do our best to unite ourselves once more with the missing links
Amen 

Signing Off

Dear Juni

Dear Juni,
    Wow, it is March already! Boy does time fly. I just wanted to remind you that today you made someone laugh, your dog was so excited to see you home so early, and your friend from drama club gave you a big hug for no reason at all. You earned a 100% on your history vocab quiz, but even if you hadn't, it'd have been okay.
    Today, on the surface, was a good day. And yet you feel sad. Your soul is caught in an imminent state of discontentment and no amount of jokes or dogs or hugs seems to be able to fix that. 
    But tomorrow, as you tells a funny joke or receive a bear hug be sure to smile. One better tomorrow after another will make a better year. 
    Sincerely,
The Logical Side of Your Brain

Intersection

St. Augustine Chameleon

St. Augustine, Florida is embraced for its rich history and astonishing architecture, but not for the wise old chameleon perched on the roof of an abandoned shop with a stories to tell. He saw me as I stood before him, and he blinked his eyes dawdlingly. Stuck between chartreuse and turquoise, the chameleon clearly had a story to tell. I would have asked him to share if the street did not suddenly populate with golf carts bursting with bellowing tourists (too noisy of an environment for conversation). Yet, I will always remember the chameleon with those telling eyes. 

Signing Off

Dear Juni

Dear Juni,
    Today, at the surface, was a good day. And yet you feel sad. Your soul is caught in an imminent state of discontentment and no amount of jokes or dogs or hugs seems to be able to fix that. 
    Sincerely,
The Logical Side of Your Brain

Intersection

St. Augustine Chameleon

St. Augustine, Florida is embraced for its rich history and astonishing architecture, but not for the wise old chameleon perched on the roof of an abandoned shop with a stories to tell. He saw me as I stood before him and blinked his eyes dawdlingly. Stuck between chartreuse and turquoise, I knew he had a story to tell. I would have asked him to share if the street did not suddenly populate with golf carts (too noisy of an environment for conversation). Yet, I will always remember the chameleon with those telling eyes. 

WILD

Grey

Grey socks, grey pants
Grey shoulders rigid with polyester 
Grey shoes worn flat by monotony 
Grey hair no longer styled
Grey soul 
Grey buildings change you. 
And yet
Grey skies roaring with torrential fury
Grey water carrying the unwilling minnow
Grey clouds rumble in discourse
Grey storms now trembling
Grey was unexpected. 
Grey wind is a blindfold
Grey mist tickles you

It isn't the grey. It was never the grey. 

Unpredictable. 

WILD

Grey

Grey socks, grey pants
Grey shoulders rigid with polyester 
Grey shoes worn flat by monotony 
Grey hair no longer styled
Grey soul 
Grey buildings change you. 
And yet
Grey skies roaring with torrential fury
Grey clouds rumble in discourse
Grey storms now trembling
Grey was unexpected. 
Grey wind is a blindfold
Grey mist tickles you

Unpredictable. 

Love in 13 Words

Shoelaces

Love: tying his shoes, though he knows how, just to see his smile

In Motion

Our Snow Kin

The snowflakes hurled themselves toward the ground as though they were fiercely trying to escape the flake behind them. The wind spiraled and flailed in failed navigation, spewing its fleeing kin everywhere. The wind eventually soothed itself until it merely simmered with tenacity. The snowflakes were now free to mingle. The flakes sashayed elegantly, seemingly discussing the most sophisticated of pleasures. They swirled like lace, exploring topics like wine tastings and fashion and all things warm. They knitted themselves together, silently coordinating their next move in glorious synchronicity. The flakes sweetly enveloped the earth, crafting a snug sweater for the planet and its people.

WILD

Grey

Grey socks, grey pants
Grey shoulders rigid with polyester 
Grey shoes worn flat by monotony 
Grey hair no longer styled
Grey soul 
Grey buildings change you. 
And yet
Grey skies roaring with torrential fury
Grey clouds rumble in discourse
Grey storms now trembling
Grey was unexpected. 
Grey wind is a blindfold
Grey mist tickles you
Unpredictable.