23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9

Autumn Finch

I'm a student from Duluth, MN. I love mountain biking, running, camping, and writing about all of those things! I also love biology, German, and math. Writing is my favorite way to explore the intersection of my varied interests.

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9
Good neighbor

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Good Neighbor

1 day ago

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9
Self editor

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Self-Editor

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9

Autumn Finch (United States) published:

Animal Athletes in the Great White North

PROMPT: Sports Journalism Competition

In 1897, the Two Harbors Iron News ran a story about a man named John Beargrease, declaring “there is probably no more reliable carrier in the land, there are but few harder routes”.
Beargrease was the son of an Anishinabe chief in Beaver Bay, a small town on the north shore of Lake Superior. He carried mail, by dogsled, up and down the shore of the great lake, a job that was always demanding and often dangerous. According to Daniel...

Seeking Peer Reviews

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9
Competitor

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Competitor

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9

Autumn Finch (United States) reviewed:

What Sports Should Be

PROMPT: Sports Journalism Competition

Your writing style, as well as your topic, remind me of Brendan Leonard, aka Semi-Rad's work. I would highly recommend his writing if you're interested in this topic.

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9

Autumn Finch (United States) reviewed:

The eternal finish line

PROMPT: Sports Journalism Competition

Your command of figurative language is amazing! To really allow this writing to shine, I would encourage you to add an introductory paragraph, perhaps after the first "hook" paragraph, to give readers some background on the event- who is there...

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9
Reviewer

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Reviewer

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9
Publisher

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Publisher

23b64718 3139 4c5e ad90 dc8087c17cb9
1

Autumn Finch (United States) published:

PROMPT: Sports Journalism Competition

Large, pillowy flakes fall from the grey sky, landing on the perked ears and stained snouts of the dogs. It’s currently five degrees above zero, with an expected high of just 15. My toes are wrapped in wool socks and thick winter boots, but are nonetheless numb. I wonder how the dogs can withstand the cold, let alone run into it.
“Let’s go people, the ATV’s here!”
The musher, a 14 year old girl who has been racing since she...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sports Journalism Competition

Beargrease was the son of an Anishinabe chief in Beaver Bay, a small town on the north shore of Lake Superior. He carried mail, by dogsled, up and down the shore of the great lake, a job that was always demanding and often dangerous. According to Daniel Lancaster's biography of the famed musher, throughout Beargrease’s tenure as mail carrier, he fought dense fog, frigid, dark nights, and terrifying water crossings that haunt even the best modern mushers of the region. Today, mushers young and old brave that same challenging route, hoping to capture some of that Beargrease magic.
    As large, pillowy flakes fall from the grey sky, landing on the perked ears and stained snouts of the dogs, the scene appears to be quite magical. It’s currently...

Sports Journalism Competition

“Let’s go people, the ATV’s here!”
The musher, a 14 year old girl who has been racing since she could walk, hooks the frayed gangline to the four wheeler, and the dogs begin to wail with excitement. I fumble with the line, my frozen, mitten-covered hands about as dexterous as the dogs’ paws. Moments later I begin a somewhat controlled slide across the ice, six lean, muscular dogs dragging an ATV, a loaded sled, and five handlers effortlessly. As we reach the starting chute, the young musher punches her snow break into the frosty ground and hollers a command...

No Likes Yet

Autumn Finch doesn't have any likes yet.

1 Likes from Others

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 1 day ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 3 days ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 10 days ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned 7 days ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 3 days ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Leader inactive

Become a leader of the pack when over five other writers start following you.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.

Autumn Finch doesn't have any followers yet.

Autumn Finch isn't following anyone yet.