Img 3689

Autumn Finch

I'm a student from Duluth, MN. I love mountain biking, running, camping, and writing about all of those things! I also love biology, German, and math. Writing is my favorite way to explore the intersection of my varied interests.

Img 3689
1

Autumn Finch (United States) published:

Complicated Conservation: The History of Hetch Hetchy

PROMPT: Environmental Writing Competition

Soaring granite cliffs give way to cerulean waters as evergreens stretch for the sun. An osprey swoops down to catch a rainbow trout, scales glinting in the light. The Tuolumne river winds through the valley, clean and sprightly and beautiful. 15 miles to the south, Half Dome looms over visitors as the sheer walls of El Capitan preside over the Yosemite Valley. It's easy to understand why this dazzling landscape was preserved as our nation's second national park in 1890....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

Img 3689
2

Autumn Finch (United States) published:

Album Review: Beck's Colors

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2018

Beck offers a celebration of love and life with the upbeat, pop-influenced sound of his new album Colors. His first thoroughly up-tempo record since 1999's Midnite Vultures, Colors will have both longtime Beck fans and mainstream listeners tapping their feet and smiling a little bigger. The title track starts the album off on a high note as an unnamed woman, presumably his partner Marissa Ribisi, encourages us to look around and notice how bright, beautiful, and colorful the world is....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 3689

Autumn Finch (United States) reviewed:

For Emma, Forever Ago- An Album Review

PROMPT: Album Review Competition 2018

In summary, this is a fantastic review! I think it could benefit from a bit more explanation of the album's sound, and a couple grammatical tweaks. The way you tell Vernon's story is really fascinating and sets this review apart....

Img 3689
Leader

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Leader

Img 3689

Autumn Finch (United States) reviewed:

safe part 2: nicknames

This piece is excellent! You create a strong mood and convey a lot about your characters in a small amount of space. Nice work, I can't wait to read more!

Img 3689
136114 harry potter malfoy gifs photo draco malfoy v8o96d gif 1

Autumn Finch (United States) started following Kit-Kat (United States)

Img 3689
Follower

Autumn Finch (United States) earned a badge Follower

Img 3689
629ff15c083697a3588f53494b06e06d

Autumn Finch (United States) started following wild_daisy (New Zealand)

Img 3689
Autumn 2963219 1920

Autumn Finch (United States) started following Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter (United States)

Img 3689
Sif

Autumn Finch (United States) started following Elizabeth Bennet (United States)

Environmental Writing Competition

Soaring granite cliffs give way to cerulean waters as evergreens stretch for the sun. An osprey swoops down to catch a rainbow trout, scales glinting in the light. The Tuolumne river winds through the valley, clean and sprightly and beautiful. 15 miles to the south, Half Dome looms over visitors as the sheer walls of El Capitan preside over the Yosemite Valley. It's easy to understand why this dazzling landscape was preserved as our nation's second national park in 1890. The story of this utopia becomes more complicated as an increasing population demanded more resources from the Hetch Hetchy valley. 

The valley, described by preservationist John Muir as "a remarkably exact counterpart" of the world-renowned Yosemite valley, stretches three miles along the Tuolumne river, which widens in Hetch Hetchy to nourish the hundreds of plant and animal species that call the valley home. Its allure was recognized by the country when Yosemite national park was established, and the land was...

Album Review Competition 2018

Album Review: Beck's Colors

Beck offers a celebration of love and life with the upbeat, pop-influenced sound of his new album Colors. His first thoroughly up-tempo record since 1999's Midnite Vultures, Colors will have both longtime Beck fans and mainstream listeners tapping their feet and smiling a little bigger. The title track starts the album off on a high note as an unnamed woman, presumably his partner Marissa Ribisi, encourages us to look around and notice how bright, beautiful, and colorful the world is. The album crescendos to "Up All Night", a caffeinated, youthful dance track. "Fix Me" winds the album down chronologically as well as sonically with soothing repetition and a lullaby pace that hearkens back to 2014's Morning Phase. Despite the "new love" motif and the album's buoyant cadence, Colors evades classification as pure pop by incorporating unique instruments (from glockenspiel to mellotron) and offbeat lyrics that Beck, as well as the album's executive producer Greg Kurstin, are known for. 

Between the...

Sports Journalism Competition 2017

Animal Athletes in the Great White North

In 1897, the Two Harbors Iron News ran a story about a man named John Beargrease, declaring “there is probably no more reliable carrier in the land, there are but few harder routes”.
Beargrease was the son of an Anishinabe chief in Beaver Bay, a small town on the north shore of Lake Superior. He carried mail, by dogsled, up and down the shore of the great lake, a job that was always demanding and often dangerous. According to Daniel Lancaster's biography of the famed musher, throughout Beargrease’s tenure as mail carrier, he fought dense fog, frigid, dark nights, and terrifying water crossings that haunt even the best modern mushers of the region. Today, mushers young and old brave that same challenging route, hoping to capture some of that Beargrease magic.
    As large, pillowy flakes fall from the grey sky, landing on the perked ears and stained snouts of the dogs, the scene appears to be quite magical. It’s currently...

Sports Journalism Competition 2017

Large, pillowy flakes fall from the grey sky, landing on the perked ears and stained snouts of the dogs. It’s currently five degrees above zero, with an expected high of just 15. My toes are wrapped in wool socks and thick winter boots, but are nonetheless numb. I wonder how the dogs can withstand the cold, let alone run into it.
“Let’s go people, the ATV’s here!”
The musher, a 14 year old girl who has been racing since she could walk, hooks the frayed gangline to the four wheeler, and the dogs begin to wail with excitement. I fumble with the line, my frozen, mitten-covered hands about as dexterous as the dogs’ paws. Moments later I begin a somewhat controlled slide across the ice, six lean, muscular dogs dragging an ATV, a loaded sled, and five handlers effortlessly. As we reach the starting chute, the young musher punches her snow break into the frosty ground and hollers a command...

No Likes Yet

Autumn Finch doesn't have any likes yet.

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 5 months ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 5 months ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned 5 months ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 5 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 5 months ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned 5 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 5 months ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.