-annie rooks

I live to for the moments where words click together perfectly.

Sometimes living just one life, isn't enough.

Open Prompt

The Significance of Being There

People change. But contrary to popular misconception, people don't change when they're with others, they change when they're alone. When they're in the shower and the water knocks on their elbows and crashes on their shoulders. They change when the water rushes through their hair and forces out the shampoo, as it clunks their skull and presses itself against their hairline. They change in those moments when they're deciding who they want to be, not when they are that person. Then it's already too late for them to revert back. By then they're gone. 
     They change when they are lying in the deepest dark, through the layers of blackness their eyelids shield them from. When they are isolated in the warm blankets that soothe them. When the coziness of night cascades over them. They change when their mind drifts and wanders down an unfollowed trail until they are up all night trying to get back to where...

To Whom it May Concern

To Whom it May Concern:

The very act of knowing is dangerous unto itself.
The night of this epiphany is the night of death.
And, in one remarkable case, tonight is that night.
Your night.
Welcome to your night.

The world is closed now. The doors have all shut and the windows are sealed so that those old sayings can’t be put to any use. Your heart is intrigued. Your mind is overwhelmed and quite dimly lit at the moment. It is possible you have not comprehended quite yet what has happened. Deepest apologies for the inconvenience. However, it is of the utmost importance that the disturbance that has been issued is taken in its absolute sincerity and achieved as quickly as possible. This will ensure the precautions that are about to be taken.
It is utterly and indescribably important that you must not stop reading. This may be confusing and a bit concerning but the moment that...

To Whom it May Concern

To Whom it May Concern:

The night of this epiphany, is the night of death.
Your night.
Welcome to your night.

Courage

“Please, Phil. Come on! C’mon you know you want to. Please Phil, please help me out here I’m not asking for much. No, no I’m not asking for much at all. Really. All I need is just a little teensy weensy bit more Courage.” Her fingers were pinched together to exemplify all she was asking. Her face bent in as her eyes focused on the small gap between the two fingers and mouth was in a deformed smile. She held his eye contact for just a few more seconds until she dropped her gaze and arms and threw her head back over her shoulders and sighed audibly. “C’mon Phil please for the love of all that is good and holy in this damned world do not make me ask anymore this stuff is wearing off, so soon enough…”
“That’s what I’m counting on.” Phils hands swept over the tiny glass he was polishing with a roughly used handkerchief.
“No. No...

Enough

“C’mon Li not now. Not now.” He wrapped his fingers around her upper arm and started walking.
    “Not now?” Her voice was loud and overpowering, he wasn’t getting any word in whether or not this fight happened. “You think you get a say in this?”
    Her face looked as though someone had crushed the last piece of a pushover she had left in her and her voice was just as confused as it was disgusted. She pulled her arm out of his fingers and stepped back. Her voice got quieter and leaned in with so little room between the two of them that they could’ve kissed, had she not wanted to break him in half. “You think you get a fucking say in this?”    
    “Lilah,” His voice sounded like it’d been caught on a fishing hook.“Li... Lilah come on! Come on- please don’t, please no.”
She shook her head in pity at him. Through gritted teeth and a soured purse, she...

When the Bite Marks in Your Tongue Start to Sting

It was more than sinking, all of the love and blood in her heart had stopped pumping and was sitting on it. Pulling it down like an anchor into her down to her stomach, crashing her lungs and restricting her chest, but this wasn’t the kind you wanted to be drawn to, this wasn’t the kind that was filled with gold. Her lips collapsed upon one another and she mindlessly strung up the ends. Her eyebrows released from their tense state and softened the blow of her wallowing eyes. She caught butterflies in her stomach, and with them the air they thrived upon. She choked on the refill but only muttered a stutter of the gasp.
“What’s the big deal? It’s true, anyway.”
“Yeah, right.” She flipped the agreement over in her mouth regretting every toss. “I know I am, it’s just been a hard, weird day is all.” All her body was programmed to do was apologize, but she...

​Conversations with my Therapist

When tears dribble down my face
they taste like ocean that suffocates my every breath and seizes me into the ceaseless nothingness of the midnight stained water.
It’s like the moon and the stars were handpicked out of the moon’s sleeping bag,
obliterated from the sky for the night
and all that once had light is now an endless flailing, trying to break the water and get to the oxygen
and endless wailing out for help and feeling the current keep the air held hostage,
just to be kept away from me
from my lungs because I can’t stop that salty watered ocean from hosing me down, drenching me until my gag reflex has been eclipsed
almost exactly like the moon.
Those tears,
the ones that taste like the ocean,
they are my ocean.
Because to me,
those soggy face masks are my entire sea
And I’ve always loved to play in the water
Well I guess now I’m wading...

Open Prompt

The Significance of Being There

People change. But contrary to popular misconception, people don't change when they're with others, they change when they're alone. When they're in the shower and the water knocks on their elbows and crashes on their shoulders. They change when the water rushes through their hair and forces out the shampoo, as it clunks their skull and presses itself against their hairline. They change in those moments, when they're deciding who they want to be, not when they are that person. Then it's already too late for them to revert back. By then they're gone. 

That Sort of Person

Like a Droplet Seeking to Diverge into the Open Air

It wasn't the gleam that raced through the glazed over film that coated her eyes, it was the kicking in her throat and the tyrant voice in her mind that tormented her every thought that caused her to grasp the world the way her white knuckled fists with fingers practically sown together grasp water when it still runs right through her nail indented palms; it was more than confusion, it was the impossible and the contradictory and the believable and the potential kind of lens that she peered her wilted lashes through, no matter how drenched they were. 

Child Narrator

A Conversation with my Future Toddler

*A nightime Q&A*
We are people 
“What are people?”
People are the human race
“What’s race?”
Race is something people like to use to as an excuse to discriminate
“What’s discrimination?”
Discrimination is an excuse for ignorance
“What’s ignorance?”
Ignorance is an excuse for not knowing and being too prideful to admit it
“What’s pride?”
Pride is an excuse for insecurities that have been masked
“What’s an insecurity?”
Insecurities are the parts of you you hate, the parts of you you wish weren’t you
“What’s hate?”
Hate is an excuse for taking your fear of faith out on others
“What’s faith?”
Faith is believing in something when there is no guarantee that promise will be kept
“What’s a promise?”
A promise is not letting someone you care about down
“What’s caring?”
Caring is what we’re all so afraid of
“Why are we afraid?”
Because we could get attached and then it could be torn out of our hands
“What’s attachment?” ...

Six-Word Story

But it Didn't

If only the happiness'd won out 

Six-Word Story

But it Didn't

It was too late for "don't."