Nafo23

I am a 16 year old boy living in Washington state. I love nature, dogs, writing, and drawing. I'm somewhat of a nerd, and I don't pride myself on being an amazing writer, but I try my best.

love vs life

Why do I continue
why do I try
when my time with you
goes when I die

why must I live
why must I fight
when all I can give
goes with the night

It's true that I love you
of that I can't lie
so I'll spend days with you
till I curl up and die.

Acrostic Verse

He Loves Me

He loves me
Even when I get jealous
Lighting my life when I get sad
Opening my life to love
Voicing his affection
Exploring my emotions
Shining my life with love
Making me so incredibly happy
Every day is amazing with him

Fight Back

I have this recurring dream. I stand in front of a group of people, microphones aimed at my mouth, the crowd cheering me on, as I give a speech. Despite my immense fear of speaking, I have always had this dream of becoming a famed speech giver, rallying together a crowd of people from all walks of life to a single ideal, not for manipulation or for self interest, but for the sake of a righteous cause. Being remembered not by the mistakes you've made or the money you've collected, but by the words you spoke, quoted for generations by historians and students. In light of recent events, I find myself thinking back to that dream. More speech givers are coming out into the limelight every day, with more and more ideas, all contributing to this larger cause of social reform and societal change. The works of Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoln, Patrick Henry, JFK, Winston Churchill, and so...

Solastalgia

Warm nights of Winter

It's funny how I associate Autumn and Winter with a feeling of warmth rather than cold. They're such family oriented seasons, filled with love, whether conditionally through holidays spent with family  or unconditionally through walks in the cold with your significant other. In contrast, Summer and Spring are Barren seasons filled with unnecessary heat and boredom. The shift from Autumn and Winter to Spring and Summer always leaves me depressed, as I trade Thanks Giving, my Birthday, Christmas, and New Year for Holidays like Saint Patrick's day or Easter. Living in Washington, the seasonal changes aren't too drastic, but they change enough for me to see the warm nights wrapped in blankets with my boyfriend turn into hot days spent half naked surrounded by spinning fans. It's backwards, I know, but the cold is far more welcoming for me than the heat. I'm surprised anyone would want to exchange white blankets of snow for black heated asphault.

“In January”

In January

With heart racing I pressed the enter key
like the final nail in my coffin
the only light in the room being 
my brightly lit laptop
perched on my mattress
a reply is sent
"I love you"
like a hug reaching 2000 miles
a kiss spanning an entire country
bamboo softly scraped at my window
as my head fluttered with possibilities
of warmth, of love, of happiness
of him

“In January”

In January

like the final nail in my coffin
the only light in the room being 
my brightly lit laptop
perched on my mattress
a reply is sent
"I love you"
like a hug reaching 2000 miles
a kiss spanning an entire country
bamboo softly scraped at my window
as my head fluttered with possibilities
of warmth, or love, or happiness
of him

Your World in Three Senses

The Park

The soft dirt crumbles beneath my feet as I walk to the spot that suits me best. I take a seat and the wet grass folds itself around my fingers. A crow caws before being shooed away by an angry child. The sun claws at my eyes like a cat to a scratching post, and I move my hand to block the light. The wind whistles through my ears as it tickles my face playfully, and I feel the cold air running through my nose freezing at the edges of my nostrils. I lay back, completely surrounded by an army of green men, grasping at my jacket, leaving their wet handprints across my body. As I take in a deep breath my mind slows to match the rhythmic waving of the trees, and I can feel my eyes closing their curtains. My sight fades slowly as I drift into sleep.

love vs life

Why do I continue
why do I try
when all my time with you
goes when I die

why must I live
why must I fight
when all I can give
goes with the night

It's true that I love you
of that I can't lie
so all spend my days with you
till I curl up and die.

On the Last Day of the World

Curtains Closed

As the Curtains of Earth draw to a close and the final say is said
I'll do the things I've never dared, until I wind up dead.

On the Last Day of the World

Curtains Closed

Open Prompt

Room

4 walls
no doors
blank walls
blank floors

projector flash
creations start
ever close
yet far apart

scratch and claw 
red blood pours
throw aspirations
to hardened floors

fake doors
on walls that gleam
after all
dreams are dreams.

Open Prompt

Room

4 walls
no doors
blank walls
blank floors

projector flash
creations start
ever close
yet far apart

scratch and claw 
red blood pours
aspirations
to hardened floors

fake doors
on walls that gleam
after all
dreams are dreams.

The Peace of Wild Things

Where the bluebird nests

When the world grows dreary
and I'm in need of rest
when I get weary
I know what's best
when the weight of life
lies upon my breast
I turn and go to
where the bluebird nests

Year by year
as the world turns by
I feel quite queer
and again I cry
from what I hear
I try to find
because I think I know
where the bluebird flies

like a christian to church
I get quite obsessed 
I frantically search
 for like a treasure chest
on a tree of birch
I feel increasingly blessed
because I finally know 
where the bluebird nests

Ten Words to You

Rain

Rain
Rain
Rain
coffee
rain
more
rain
so
much
rain

My December Competition 2017

A hot cup of cocoa

I like to think of our "tenth month," December, as a hot cup of cocoa. The entire year goes along normally, until December rolls around, a spot of warmth amidst the freezing callousness of life. A moment of peace amidst the war. It's ironic that for so many, December, the first month of Winter, is associated with the warm feeling of nostalgia, a feeling of rolling in the snow with old and forgotten friends, a feeling of laughing with family members moved and lost, and for some a feeling of celebration of religions long celebrated. December is always the highlight of my year, and not just because of the weather or Christmas time. It's a time for students like me to get a well-deserved break from the stress of school. Due to it self-reflective nature, December is also a month that people become honest with themselves and their loved ones. For me, December is when I finally realized I was...

Zoom Out

Desert

Sweat pours down his glistening brow, as his eyes turn, following a passing vehicle. His chest rhythmically pumps in and out, for every breathe his body takes. His torn shirt hangs off of his shoulders like a mess of rags. His  feet slowly step backward on the hot pavement, and he sticks his thumb out in hope for a guiding angel to come and take him away from the hellscape he's trapped in.

The Sun gazes from the sky like an eye piercing through a hole in a wall. Cacti littered the landscape like trash in a rotting street, and lizards dash between shade like bashful roaches. Cars blaze down the black pavement like bullets from a loaded gun.

Into the Woods

A stone wall

A stone wall built on a dirt floor
at a distance a single uniform green
but at a closer glance
each individual piece
with individual scars
and individual history
a single brush stroke in
an emerald masterpiece
a single rung in a 15 foot ladder

Truths and Untruths

College

College is an introduction into adult life, and it comes with a lot of expectations and worries. Here are a few of the million of ideas jumbling around in my head:
1.) I hope  dorm life will be like Seinfeld. I don't know why I even want that, but I do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2.) I hope that high school drama ends. I've always hated the dram that people make for themselves in high school, and I hope that ends before I enter College.
3.) I hope off campus living isn't expensive. It would suck if I had to pay normal price for a house while working and attending college.
4.) I hope I'm not going to a lame College or a party College. Like Presidents, the most down the road colleges are often the best, but also the least memorable.
5.) I hope that people still have time to hang out in College. Since College life is like a mix of high...

Living Locales

Seattle in the Dark

The moon rose like a waking eye, opening to the dark city laid before it. Stars adorned the sky like shiny teeth stretched into a blanketing smile. Streets like sickening gray skin curled over the hilly terrain, and skyscrapers reached like an army of grasping limbs. Seattle, the living city, breathed with smoke and spoke with a symphony of car horns. Rain falls from the sky, blanketing the city in a sea of giant's tears.

Zoom Out

Desert

Sweat pours down his glistening brow, as his eyes turn, following the passing vehicle. His chest rhythmically pumps in and out, for every breathe his body takes. His torn shirt hangs off of his shoulders like a mess of rags. His bare feet slowly step backward on the hot pavement, and his thumb sticks out hoping for a guiding angel to come and take him away from the hellscape he's trapped in.

The Sun gazed from the sky like an eye piercing through a hole in a wall. Cacti littered the desert landscape like toppings to a pizza, and lizards dash between shade like bashful roaches. Cars blaze down the black pavement like bullets from a loaded gun.

Other Worlds

Dobby

I remember when I first cried while being read to. I was 9, and for months my mother and I had curled up each night and she had read Harry Potter to me. For the first time in my life, I was invested in a book. The characters meant something to me. Their problems seemed tragic, and their actions seemed real. I loved every single character, but none no more than Dobby the house elf. He was innocent, and his struggles struck a chord with my young mind. I loved him whenever he appeared, and the distinct image of his pointy nose and floppy ears instantly made me latch on to his character. I listened to my mother's voice as she read through the final book, and I was enjoying every minute of it, but then, something happened to Dobby. While fleeing Bellatrix's clutches and saving all of the main cast, Dobby suffered a devastating wound, and died happily in...

Your World in Three Senses

The Park

The soft dirt crumbles beneath my feet as I walk to the spot that suits me best. I take a seat and the wet grass folds itself around my fingers. A crow caws before being shooed away by an angry child. The sun scratches at my eyes like a cat to a scratching post, and I move my hand to block the light. The wind whistles through my ears as it tickles my face playfully, and I feel the cold air running through my nose freezing at the edges of my nostrils. I lay back, completely surrounded by an army of green men, grasping at my jacket, leaving their wet handprints across my body. As I take in a deep breath my mind slows to match the rhythmic waving of the trees, and I can feel my eyes closing their curtains. My sight fades slowly as I drift into sleep.

Living in Music

Wake Up

When I was little, I dreamed of a world empty of the problems plaguing life. A world where children didn't have to grow up or go to school. Where adults weren't expected to check their hearts at the doorway. A world where it wasn't considered odd to love or to feel. I've grown to realize a world like this can't exist, but when I heard the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire, I was flooded with memories of that world lost to time. This song seeps with lost childhood innocence and fear of growing up, and yet is so powerfully positive. This song harkens back to a time when we were all children, and we believed in superheroes and monsters. To a time when we were allowed to feel without filters. When crying was a sign of love and not a sign of weakness. I've been bullied all of my life, and this song allows for an escape, an empty...