saxwriter2

Jedi
Ravenclaw
Divergent
Alto Saxophone
Overall book nerd
Current book is around halfway finished
God is the cause of all the good in my life, and I am so happy to have him as my second father!

Hello to my reader, from a large nerd. I'm a fan of all things Marvel, but I still appreciate all the work DC has put into their movies. I currently play alto sax, and I'm teaching myself to play clarinet. I am working on four different novels/series, one of which I'm writing with my best friend. I love the Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter universes. I also listen to WAY too many soundtracks. My favorite artists are TobyMac, Capital Kings, and Owl City. Oh, and I also love everything Hamilton, The Phantom of the Opera, The Greatest Showman, and Dear Evan Hansen. If you don't know this already, God loves you with all his heart. No matter what you've done or how horrible you think you are, he cares for you. Have a great day!

The Boy in the Creek

The moon is halfway through the sky. High enough to shine some light, but the size of the moon is very small. Too small. You grip the leash of your large dog, a German Shepard. You check that your headlamp is secured. You look into the darkness ahead of you, that in daylight, is a pleasant trail. At nighttime, though, anything and everything happens. You swear you see eyes glinting in the canopy of trees ahead of you. You swallow. It was a stupid mistake to walk your dog this late at night, but well, you were here now. There is no turning back, not when the dog hasn’t been out for a walk for a while. And you haven’t either.
You look down at your dog who is pulling on the leash. It’s time to go onto the foreboding trail. You walk slowly, carefully not making a sound. It’s hard to know what exactly are in this little expanse...

Robin Hood the second

I sighted the target, a large tree trunk, pulled back my bowstring so that my fingers brushed my ear, then released the arrow with a  twang. I didn't bother to see where my arrow landed, I just knocked another arrow to my bowstring. I sighted my target ready to shoot. "Stop," my mentor said. "You are doing better," he said, examining my posture. My muscles started to shudder under the strain. "You can shoot now." I let go of the arrow. It flew to the tree and landed in the exact center, just centimeters from my last arrow. I grinned at him cockily. He sighed, shaking his head. "You're just about ready to go out and do what I did."
    "Of course I am," I said with a smile.
    "And even cockier than I was," my mentor, and father, said. If I was any other man's daughter, I'd be learning how to sew and cook....

2019

My Perfect Year: Hopes for 2019

To make a "Perfect Year," you will need the following ingredients:
2 spoonfuls of everlasting friendship
4 cups of tears (because tears can make things seem even a little bit different)
100 earfuls of awesome music
9 scoops of fun writing
lots of success
1 pinch of ambition
hundreds of good books

Here are the steps I took to formulate this list, or in simpler terms, I want to recollect some of the best events of 2018.
    I finished my first year of high school and finally never had to deal with Biology or PE for a little while. I finally found that English was by far my favorite subject. I got excited at the very end of the school year for marching band season again, as I would be doing it for my second year. I hoped that I would make leadership team, but I also hoped that I would make top band (there are four bands at my school, two bottom...

Robin Hood the second

"Of course I am," I said with a smile.

Mad Libs

Sky

Sky Dagger is a 15-year-old girl who lives in Xanos and Duran in a fantasy/ sci-fi world of my own making. Known for being a cripple (she's missing her right hand), and for her wanted posters all over the buildings of Xanos, she wants nothing more than to avoid her past and destroy the corrupt government of her homeland. She pretends to feel strong and courageous, when in fact, inside, she really feels weak and selfish. Sky's biggest fears are loosing the people she loves and her father findgin her. What Sky needs is to find a family in her friends; the biggest thing getting in her way is her longing for her supposedly dead parents.

Mad Libs

Sky

Sky is a 15-year-old girl who lives in Xanos and Duran in a fantasy/ sci-fi world of my own making. Known for being a cripple (she's missing her right hand), and for her wanted posters all over the buildings of Xanos, she wants nothing more than to avoid her past and destroy the corrupt government of her homeland. She pretends to feel strong and courageous, when in fact, inside, she really feels weak and selfish. Sky's biggest fear is losing people she loves. What Sky needs is to find a family in her friends; the biggest thing getting in her way is her longing for her supposedly dead parents.

Bye Bye, Creativity

I see the ship, a sleek cruise ship
Its sides are white but worn with time.
The ship, called Creativity, sets sail
and leaves, taking away my own
creativity.

I stand in the ocean waves 
as the ship pulls away.
I stand, full of color and ideas, as
the ship sets sail and leaves.

It pulls away all my color and ideas,
like a cat unraveling a ball of yarn.
The ship, called Creativity, sets sail,
and leaves, taking away my own
creativity.

I stand on the sandy shore,
gray and empty, my creativity gone.
And the ship glimmers with my color
and gleams with new ideas from me
as it sets sail and leaves.

I watch the ship as it leaves the bay,
glowing in the night with
new ideas it stole from me. 
The ship, called Creativity, sets sail,
and leaves, taking with it a part of me.

Zebra: Amateur Crime Fighter (Pt. 4)

I shoved my hands in my coat pockets, fingering the old, worn action figure of Hawkeye I had received as a gift for my 8th birthday. Hawkeye was my favorite superhero, right after Batman. I was about to become a hero, just like Batman and Hawkeye. How weird was that? Rye smiled at me. "Try on your suit, Z." I pulled my coat off, revealing my vintage tee with the Batman symbol. I pulled out my Hawkeye, placing him on top of my coat. I pulled on the armored pants, admiring the silver scraps scattered throughout. Then I pulled the torso on, adding the wristguards. Finally, I pulled on the mask-my mask- and the world was instantly transformed before my eyes. A night vision filter was available, along with a database that I could access in my mask. I turned to Rye.
    "This suit is awesome!" I said. He nodded, pulling on his own suit.  ...

Zebra: Meet Rye (Pt. 3)

I walked into Rye's huge mansion, marveling at the sheer vastness of the place he called home. I looked into an elaborately bordered mirror. A haggard face stared back at me with dark eyes, silver-gray hairs overtaking most of the black hair on my head. A man-like figure faced me, not a figure of a woman. I sighed, running a hand through my short, peppered hair. Rye walked up behind me in the mirror, smiling. "You don't look half-bad for being on the streets and fighting just for a spot to sleep." He walked in front of me, examining me. He touched my cheek, sending tremors through my body. He ran his hands over my body and arms until he touched my thighs, where I removed his hands, feeling quite uncomfortable.
    "I'm not who you think I am," I warned him. "I may look like your new best bud, but I'm not a guy." He laughed.
 ...

Zebra: A Flashback (Pt. 2)

Two days is going to be a long time, I think as Hunter leaves. Just two days ago, I was on the streets with no money and no home. Four days ago, I was living a happy, normal life. Rye really just threw me into this who crime-fighting gig with no preparation. But because he has thrown me into this, I am going to make the best of it. I think back to the moment my parents found out who and what I was. A Deviant. 
    I stood in the doorway, my house torn apart. Someone had tried to rob the house, by the looks of it. My hands balled into fists as I strode down the hallway, my backpack full of my favorite books on my back. If it came to it, I would chuck books at the robber. I walked into the living room and found a man dressed in all black, pointing a gun...

Zebra: Crazy Teenage Superhero (Pt. 1)

I am surrounded. Completely surrounded. And my partner in fighting crime, The Phantom, is nowhere to be seen, leaving me to face the criminals surrounding me alone. I clear my throat and crack my knuckles, reminding myself that no one can see me beneath my suit. They don't know who I am, except for my nickname that Phantom gave me a day ago. Zebra, because of my camouflaging powers. My suit is black and tight fitting, with random silver stripes of armor woven in. My mask is nothing but a piece of armored cloth patterned with stripes as well, with lenses for my eyes. The criminals are getting closer, and I am in a dead-end alley, near a warehouse. I can tell this isn't going to go well.
    I try to think about happier things. Phantom, whose name is actually Rye Baker. He is also the richest person I knew, and somehow, he has decided that I...

Science Fiction Competition 2018

The Supervolcano Super Disaster

Date: August 19, 2062
Entry #1, Sawyer Pierce:
    I don't think I've ever told you this, journal, but I'm a nerd when it comes to geology or earth science, whatever you want to call it (this is NOT a diary, it's a reasoning journal). I was fascinated that even though there was lava at the core of our planet, Earth hadn’t exploded. My parents were volcanologists, scientists who study volcanoes. So naturally, with two science nerds for parents, I was just like them. My parents were only interested in the small volcanoes, though. Personally, I was interested in the supervolcanoes. The calderas, like the Yellowstone Caldera that made up Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA; Long Valley Caldera, California, USA; Lake Toba, near North Sumatra, Indonesia; Taupo Caldera, New Zealand; and Aira Caldera, near Kagoshima, Japan, just to name a few of my favorites. These were just five out of the twenty known supervolcanoes that were said to erupt only every...

Science Fiction Competition 2018

The Supervolcano Super Disaster

Date: August 19, 2062
Entry #20, Sawyer Pierce:

Science Fiction Competition 2018

The Supervolcano Super Disaster

Date: August 19, 2062
Entry #20, Sawyer Pierce:
    I don't think I've ever told you this, journal, but I'm a nerd when it comes to geology or earth science, whatever you want to call it (this is NOT a diary, it's a reasoning journal). I was fascinated that even though there was lava at the core of our planet, Earth hadn’t exploded. My parents are volcanologists, scientists who study volcanoes. So naturally, with two science nerds for parents, I was just like them. My parents were only interested in the small volcanoes, though. Personally, I was interested in the supervolcanoes. The calderas, like the Yellowstone Caldera that made up Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA; Long Valley Caldera, California, USA; Lake Toba, near North Sumatra, Indonesia; Taupo Caldera, New Zealand; and Aira Caldera, near Kagoshima, Japan, just to name a few of my favorites. These were just five out of the twenty known supervolcanoes that were said to erupt only every...

Science Fiction Competition 2018

The Supervolcano Super Disaster

Date: August 19, 2062
Entry #20, Sawyer Pierce: 

I don't think I've ever told you this, journal, but I'm a nerd when it comes to geology or earth science, whatever you want to call it(this is NOT a diary, it's a reasoning journal). I'm fascinated that even though there is lava at the core of our planet, Earth hasn't exploded. At least not yet. My parents are volcanologists, scientists who study volcanoes. So naturally, with two science nerds for parents, I'm just like them. My parents are only interested in the small volcanoes, though. Personally, I'm interested in the supervolcanoes. The calderas, like the Yellowstone Caldera that makes up Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA; Long Valley Caldera, California, USA; Lake Toba, near North Sumatra, Indonesia; Taupo Caldera, New Zealand; and Aira Caldera, near Kagoshima, Japan, just to name a few of my favorites. These are just five out of the twenty known supervolcanoes that are said to erupt only every 100,000...

Science Fiction Competition 2018

The Supervolcano Super Disaster

Date: August 19, 2062
Entry #20, Sawyer Pierce: 

I don't think I've ever told you this, journal, but I'm a nerd when it comes to geology or earth science, whatever you want to call it(this is NOT a diary, it's a reasoning journal). I'm fascinated that even though there is lava at the core of our planet, Earth hasn't exploded. At least not yet. My parents are volcanologists, scientists who study volcanoes. So naturally, with two science nerds for parents, I'm just like them. My parents are only interested in the small volcanoes. Personally, though, I'm interested in the supervolcanoes. The calderas, like the Yellowstone Caldera that makes up Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA; Long Valley Caldera, California, USA; Lake Toba, near North Sumatra, Indonesia; Taupo Caldera, New Zealand; and Aira Caldera, near Kagoshima, Japan, just to name a few of my favorites. These are just five out of the twenty known supervolcanoes that are said to erupt only every 100,000...

Happiness

How do you describe
the feeling that
gives the receiver 
insurmountable joy?

It causes my hands
to shake like a 
squirrel on a sugar high.

I can't stop smiling,
and my eye light up
like a child on 
Christmas morning 
who finds presents 
under the tree.

I feel like skipping.
l feel like singing
and jumping for joy.

Some may ask where
my happiness comes from.
All my joy comes from
the LORD, and what he
has helped me accomplish.
This is a feeling I will never lose,
nor do I want this happy high
to end.

Open Prompt

Wait

Can I have what I want?
A finger to my lips
from someone else's hand
to quiet me for a moment.

Their eyes speak the words
that I need to hear the most.
Wait. Be patient. Be quiet.

Be quiet. Listen for the
voice that will call from
above. Listen, my child
and you will hear what you
need to hear. Be quiet.

Be patient. Pause your
fast-paced life for one
second and see what
those who love you want
for you. Be patient.

Last, my child, wait.
Waiting takes what
you have not yet earned.

Accept the quiet. It is your
friend, not foe.

Learn patience. It is your
ally in the middle
of a fast-paced world.

Then you will be able to wait.
Waiting for love you don't have 
will come. Waiting will be easy;
love will come.

The finger from another's hand
will lift. You will find freedom.
And you will find love.

Zebra: Meet Rye (Pt. 3)

...

Twisted Love

The first time I thought love was a twisted creature was my first high school crush. Love has a funny way of humbling and embarassing the weak minded like me. He is a year above me, and as much as I try to hate him, I can't. I felt off during a band practice when he corrected my posture with his hands. Then we had a band get together, and that's when I knew I had a crush on him. He wouldn't, and couldn't, stop cracking jokes. I like to make a few jokes myself, so naturally, I was going to be attracted to him. But then my heart was torn open and served back to me on a rusty platter. No, he didn't reject me or anything. Instead, I found that he had a girlfriend, and a close one at that. It sounded like they had been together since freshman year, which meant I wouldn't have a chance with...

Zebra: A Flashback (Pt. 2)

Two days is going to be a long time, I think as Hunter leaves. Just two days ago, I was on the streets with no money and no home. Four days ago, I was living a happy, normal life. Rye really just threw me into this who crime-fighting gig with no preparation. But because he had thrown me into this, I am going to make the best of it. I think back to the moment my parents found out who and what I was. A Deviant. 

Zebra: Crazy Teenage Superhero (Pt. 1)

I am surrounded. Completely surrounded. And my partner in fighting crime, The Phantom, is nowhere to be seen, leaving me to face the criminals surrounding me alone. I clear my throat and crack my knuckles, reminding myself that no one can see me beneath my suit. They don't know who I am, except for my nickname that Phantom gave me a day ago. Zebra, because of my camouflaging powers. My suit is black and tight fitting, with random silver stripes of armor woven in. My mask is nothing but a helmet patterned with stripes as well, with holes for my eyes. The criminals are getting closer, and I am in a dead-end alley. I can tell this isn't going to go well.
    I try to think about happier things. Phantom, whose name is actually Rye Baker. He is also the richest person I knew, and somehow, he has decided that I was worth keeping around. I laugh...

Zebra: Crazy Teenage Superhero (Pt. 1)

I was surrounded. Completely surrounded. And my partner in fighting crime, The Phantom, was nowhere to be seen, leaving me to face the criminals surrounding me alone. I cleared my throat and cracked my knuckles, reminding myself that no one could see me beneath my suit. They didn't know who I was, except my nickname that Phantom had given me long ago. Zebra, because of my camouflaging powers. My suit was black and tight fitting, with random silver stripes of armor woven in. My mask was nothing but a helmet patterned with stripes as well, with holes for my eyes. The criminals were getting closer, and I was in a dead-end alley. I could tell this wasn't going to be good.
    I tried to think about happier things. Phantom, whose name was actually Rye Baker. He was also the richest person I knew, and somehow, he had decided that I was worth keeping around. I laughed to myself....

Zebra: Crazy Teenage Superhero (Pt. 1)

I tried to think about happier things. Like Phantom, whose name was actually Rye Baker. He was also the richest person I knew, and somehow, he had decided that I was worth keeping around. I laughed...

The Little Light

I was strongly reconsidering my decision to play floor hockey today. Not because of the team I had, because they were all good, but because I was forced to be the goalie. And I can't guard the goal at all. I could've walked, but my friend and I wanted to be adventurous, so we decided to play. We ended up on separate teams. I felt like a complete idiot, wearing my one-size too large P.E. shirt and loose shorts, holding the plastic hockey stick in my left hand. Also, I think I've failed to mention that I can't coordinate my body. The only things I'm good at is playing an instrument, marching in marching band, and sometimes English or Spanish. I can't play sports. I've tried, but to no avail. So I stood in front of the goal with a defender in front of me, someone I talked to every once in a while. The game started like...

For the Last Time

"For the last time, get your dirty boots off of my coffee table," the old crone shrieked. She hated these aliens(five in all) who had taken over her home, but she had to deal with them. Unless she wanted to die. And even though she was old, she considered herself too young to die yet. The only reason they hadn't killed her yet was that she could cook good food. Well, there was another reason. One she didn't like to think about. They wanted to meet her granddaughter when she came today. The thing was, they didn't look like the stereotypical aliens. No big heads, skinny bodies, and round eyes. They looked, well, human. If they were human, they would only be in their twenties. And the old woman's granddaughter was eighteen. She shivered at the thought of what could happen.
    "Hey you," one of them said, leaning against her front doorframe. She turned to him....

Falling Kingdoms Book Six Attempted Extension

Cleo looked up into Magnus' eyes. He smiled down at her and planted one last kiss on her forehead. "I don't believe that Valia was lying to us." He patted her slightly swollen belly. "I can't wait to meet our son." She smiled and straightened his coat. 
    "Give them the best speech you can," she whispered. He nodded, offering her his arm. She hooked his arm into his as they walked out onto the balcony of the repaired Auranos palace. They were met with applause from the crowd. Magnus held up his hand to silence them. 
    "Today, we are united under a new government," he started. "Yes, we are still the countries of Auranos, Paelsia, and Limeros, but we are enemies no more. We are friends." A few people cheered, and Cleo smiled down at them. Magnus, she thought, had the potential to make a good speech like his father, but he just never showed it. "I know...

The Pit(pt. 1)

I look up to all the superheroes, even if they aren't real. Batman. Spiderman. Captain America. The Flash. But I look up to the villains even more. The feats that they accomplish are amazing, but they all lack common sense, which ticks me off. Take Winter Soldier(who, may I remind you, ended up good. Ugh.) who was super smart and strong. His weakness? He served a master who planned for him. But imagine what it would have been like if hewas in charge. Things would have been different, and I may have found a larger interest in Marvel movies if that had happened. But I don't watch superhero movies anymore.     Not really any movies, actually, ever since the strange transformation of the world I live in. Random children, teens, and adults make journeys, nicknamed "Pilgrimages" to a national park or protected area to see if they can earn powers. That's what happened to the world's "first" superheroes in my...

Bolt the Shifter Pt. Two

I sat in the little cage as a mouse, trying to cross my arms in anger but ultimately failing. Mice arms are too short. The man with glasses chuckled as he stared down at me. "C'mon," he said, pulling off his glasses, brown eyes staring down at me intently, "you haven't forgotten me, have you?" I didn't remember him, but I did recognize his eyes. I shrugged my little mouse shoulders. He smiled. "I'll let you out, as long as you promise to behave." I shrugged again, standing on my back legs. He opened the cage, and I scampered onto his hand as his smile faded. "Now turn into a human. And stay human," he added, noticing the wicked look on my mouse face. I jumped off his hand and changed in midair, shedding the little mouse skin. I hit the floor of the bus with a thump. I pushed my hair out of my face. 
   ...

Bolt the Shifter Pt. One

I walked through the forest, the sun dappling the forest floor through the summer leaves. I wasn't a normal person. To my best friend, I was a pet. But to me, I was a person. A changeling. A shape-shifter. A practically useless nobody. My sole job was to protect my-ugh- master. I hated using the word when describing my friend. But that was my job. He believed that I was his pet dog, named Bolt after the Disney character. It was an odd name, though, because I was a girl. My main form was a White German Shepherd, so I did look like Bolt. Kind of. I wasn't lucky enough to have a silver lightning bolt on my fur. Right now, I was a human, because I didn't get that freedom often. My master has a secret ability that when he comes of age, I will have to tell him and teach him how to use it. That was my purpose...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

The Hunter: Fear

I roam the wild, but not the wild you would think of. Indeed, the brain is a place full of areas to manipulate, to curse, to inject a tiny bit of me. I use memories, thoughts, even the people you trust to reel you into my boat of lost souls. I have no singular form, but many forms, in whatever version of me you choose to apprehend the most. So here I am, in the moment of what I hope will be your rejection.
    "W-will you go out with me?" you ask nervously. I rub my hands together. I fill your inner being to the brim, so full that all you can see is me. Not the girl you're talking to. Me.
    All she does is stare at you, and I cackle. I've caught you in my snare, and your hands fidget, trying desperately to escape, to pull yourself free. But then she smiles at you, and I...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

The Hunter: Fear

I roam the wild, but not the wild you would think of. Indeed, the brain is a place full of areas to manipulate, areas to curse, areas to inject a tiny bit of me. I use memories, thoughts, even the people you trust to reel you into my boat of lost souls. I have no singular form, but many forms, in whatever version of me you choose to apprehend the most. What will be my next snare? Will I be the crush that rejects you? Will I be the roller coaster that gives you the heebie-jeebies? Will I be the impossible test? Or will I come in the worst form possible, you? Only you can decide. You might be able to overcome me. But be well warned, when you are in my hunting sack, there is nothing I cannot do to you. Many have tried to escape, and all have failed. Because no matter how fearless you may seem, I...

Criminal by Fate

I sat on the city bus, my baseball cap pulled down over my face, my hood covering both cap and green-dyed hair. If I were to take my hat off right now, most people on this bus would recognize me. Look at any newspaper, and I bet you'd see a picture of me somewhere. Why? Because I was a highly valued criminal. I never wanted to be a criminal, but sometimes, fate calls in odd ways, and it had definitely called me three days ago. 
    I crouched near the research facility, noticing all my companions spreading out. We were going to blow up the fence and run inside to get a mysterious artifact for a mysterious boss. Simple. Or so we thought. My friend, Kaylee, was one of the few, along with me, who were just backups. We had no worth, except to be the planners and the secret holders. We ran with the others as soon as the...

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

The Hunter: Fear

I roam the wild, but not the wild you would think of. Indeed, the brain is a place full of areas to manipulate, areas to curse, areas to inject a tiny bit of me. I use memories, thoughts, even the people you trust to reel you into my boat of lost souls. I have no singular form, but many forms, in whatever version of me you choose to apprehend the most. What will be my next snare? Will I be the crush that rejects you? Will I be the roller coaster that gives you the heebie-jeebies? Will I be the impossible test? Or will I come in the worst form possible, you? Only you can decide. You might be able to overcome me. But be well warned, when you are in my hunting sack, there is nothing I cannot do to you. You have been warned, so good luck on trying to purge me from your brain. Many have tried,...

Harry Potter FanFiction(year two)

Nea's first year was scary, but she managed to succeed at Hogwarts, ending up in one of the top ten spots. Draco had indeed gotten closer to her, and they promised to send letters over the summer. The worst part was telling her parents that she was in Slytherin. Her mother had threatened to disinherit her, claiming that all the dark wizards came from Slytherin. Her father, however, had comforted her, saying that her grandmother had come from Slytherin. She had replied, "You mean the one that scarred me? Great." Her father had laughed.
    "You can't blame her, Ralna. We both had the same results." She hadn't believed that both her parents were both in Slytherin too. Nea sat at her desk now, untying a letter from Chrono's leg. It was from Draco. 
Nea,
How has your summer been? I'm so sorry I haven't been able to write. I've been super busy studying for next year. We will...

Harry Potter FanFiction(part 1)

Uranea ran through the brick wall with her two pure-blood parents, who were too proud to do anything except cry. "You better make me proud, Uranea Relany," he whispered. She smiled at him, her dark hair falling over her eyes. 
    "You know I will, father," she replied. "I can't wait to go to Hogwarts!"
    "Don't get into Slytherin," her mother fretted. "We really cannot be the parents of such an abomination." She giggled, embracing her parents before grabbing her trunk and her barn owl's cage. Chrono chirped, nudging her arm through his cage. She boarded the train, falling into an empty train car. Uranea curled up by the window with one of her favorite Muggle books, leaving her stuff all around her. She heard footsteps coming toward her train car, and she shoved the book under her seat. She pretended that she had been staring out the window. 
    "Is this car occupied?" a sneering voice...

Life Moves On

I was motivated. I was courageous. But somehow, I was still one of the worst. Motivation and bravery had no place in the real world, I thought as I walked to the McDonald's on the corner. It had to be the smallest one I had ever seen. I walked in, and my boyfriend got up to greet me. Ex-boyfriend, I corrected. "Hey, Tara," he said, flipping his hair out of his face with one hand. "Ready?" I nodded.
    "Ready as I'll ever be," I said coldly. We had promised to stay in touch after we broke up, but Josh had gone to the extremes, deciding to introduce me to his new girlfriend. He led me over to his table and sat by his new girlfriend, giving her a playful kiss on the cheek. She hit him, and they both laughed. I sat across from them stiffly and reminded myself that I had to loosen up, otherwise I...

Normal No More-Chapter Two

I woke to blackness, maybe a black room? I was hanging by my wrists somehow, but it wasn't by cuffs because I felt nothing around my wrists."You know," I mumbled groggily. "Most people in science fiction books use white rooms, not black when doing interrogations."
    "But what if you're not in a black room?" a soft voice asked. Noah. But the deep, creepy tone was gone. 
    "Then I'm wearing a very, very dark blindfold," I countered. I heard a muffled snicker. "What happened to your voice?"
    "I'm an actor," he said in the deep voice again. "That's what makes me good at what I do." The blindfold was pulled off my face. Noah sneered down at me. I squinted because I was in a bright white room. He chuckled. "You were quite right about the white room interrogations. Who would do them in a black room?" I ignored his jibe.
   ...

Normal No More-Chapter One

I opened the door.What adventures awaited me? This happened often, especially when I felt, well, me. I was different than most. I couldn't dribble a basketball to save my life. Serve a volleyball. Hit a baseball. Pitch a softball. But I could play music. Wasn't that good enough? To escape from hopelessness, I imagined a life that was not mine, a character that was not me. She had courage, while I was just a wimp. The imagined girl was Amber, while I was just Veronica, Oni for short. I sighed as I walked into my least favorite class: math. An obnoxious boy tripped me on the way to my desk in the back of the room. I glared at him and calmly got to my feet, proceeding the rest of the way to my seat. I sat and listened to a boring lesson on multiplying polynomials, and I caught myself putting Amber into the room. She would have been paying attention,...

Signing Off

2017: The Biggest Transition of Your Life

Dear Friend,

I know you barely remember me. But this year, I decided to remind you that I still exist, by telling you everything that happened in 2017, which was the biggest transition in your life. At the beginning of this year, you started planning for your first year of high school. You, of course, were clinging to your small grade school and eighth-grade class. You started to write your first long story, and your mom didn't believe that you were actually writing a story. I watched as you accepted your fate: moving to high school. You took a crazy vacation to the beach and actually got to touch a real dolphin, which was your biggest dream. Then, at the beginning of the summer, you started marching band, and little did you realize that it would become your life. You hated the first practice because marching and playing your saxophone andmemorizing your music seemed like too much to bear. But...

Numerous Narrators

In the Aftermath

Daniel

Her avatar's lime green hair was stunning. I couldn't get over it. She held herself with so much confidence, and it put me to shame. We had met years ago in a fantasy battle arena, where we had teamed up and remained a team ever since then. Compared to her, I felt like virtually nothing. But, I reminded myself, I had been threatened by the Fang gang, which deemed me as important in their eyes. I watched as she stood on a crumbling pile of debris from the recent virtual bombing. She looked around the crowd, and I knew that she was going to speak to us. All of us. Sabine whistled loudly. "Could I have everyone's attention, please?" All the avatars in the remains of La Comida's hideout quieted, staring at her. She cleared her throat and began speaking as I decided to move closer. "People of the gang Rebellion and the game Immersion," she started, "we...

1_ _Inferno_ _1

I sat in the forest, but trust me, no one would believe what I saw in this forest. A whole pack of wolves. I would watch them almost every day, and they never cared. I was always fascinated with one in particular. He seemed to be the rookie of the group, always following in the Alpha's footsteps, as if that would get him higher in the pack. He was different than the others. His fur was streaked with orange and red, almost making him look like a fox. And when he trotted next to the Alpha, the Alpha would nip his hide, sending him yipping away. I sighed. I wish I could be one of them, I thought. Suddenly, the orange and red wolf, whom I had named Inferno, ears perked up, and he looked directly at me. He cocked his head a little, so I got on the ground in submission. He trotted cautiously over as if I might try to...

To My Notebook

Dear Cuaderno de Espanol(Spanish notebook),

I hope you realize how much you are appreciated. You have kept my Human Geography notebook from annoying me, and my Biology notebook from putting me five miles underwater with terms. You've also kept my math in check, making sure that it doesn't give me too many problems. You've also allowed me to practically tear you up, and for this, I apologize. Your cover could be in better shape, and I'm sorry I made you yellow and smeared ink all over you. Please don't hold it against me as I start to rant against you. 

You are almost the death of me. I blame you for the disgusting yellow cover and the tear in the cover. I'm sorry for the first paragraph. I just wanted you to feel good before it hits you how much I despise you. Sure, Spanish class is fun, but when I have to use you, your pages are torn(I don't know...

Wandering

Two days. That's how much time I had been alone without my friends in this wilderness. Payton, who had forgiven me and loved me, Wolf who had trained me, Fox, who had cared for me, the twins who had comforted me, and the two grumpy men who I would call family any day. I sighed softly. All I knew is that I was alone in the plains between the forest of the place I call home, and the place I used to call home. I also knew that Fox, the twins, Payton, and the other two were captured. Gone. And I feared that I would be next. I didn't know if Wolf was free, but I hoped she was. I reached a stream, which I knelt down next to and drank out of it, not bothering with caution. That's when I heard footsteps and hushed voices. I jumped over the stream, turning invisible in midair. I crouched on the other side...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

The Fog

Prologue
    I marveled at the electricity spiraling out of my gloved hand, oblivious of the presence of an unwanted observer. My mother had told me it was a curse to have such an ability. But I didn't believe that was true. Because having this power made me stronger, and strength was never a curse. I shrugged away the thought, twisting the electricity to my will. I sat in an abandoned warehouse in 2250 B.C. on Earth, alone after my mother figured out my ability, sending me away. I had cried, but I look back on that now as one of my most embarrassing moments because what strong person cries? That was around a week ago. Then a hand touched my shoulder. I jumped and the lightning disappeared. "It's okay, Cole," a menacing voice said. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to keep you safe." 
    "Who are you?" I asked in fear.
    "I'm Tide...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

The Fog

Prologue
    I marveled at the electricity spiraling out of my gloved hand, oblivious of the presence of an unwanted observer. My mother had told me it was a curse to have such an ability. But I didn't believe that was true. Because honestly, having this power made me stronger, and strength was never a curse. I shrugged away the thought, twisting the electricity to my will. I sat in an abandoned warehouse in 2250 B.C. on Earth, alone after my mother figured out my ability, sending me away. I had cried, but I look back on that now as one of my most embarrassing moments because what strong person cries? That was around a week ago. Then a hand touched my shoulder. I jumped and the lightning disappeared. "It's okay, Cole," a menacing voice said. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to keep you safe." 
    "Who are you?" I asked in fear.
    "I'm...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

The Fog

Prologue
    I marveled at the electricity spiraling out of my black, gloved hand, oblivious of the presence of an unwanted observer. My mother had told me it was a curse, a curse, to have such an ability. But I didn't believe that was true. And when I asked her, she told me that I just needed to watch out for the fog. I shrugged, twisting the electricity to my will. I sat in an abandoned warehouse, alone after my mother figured out my ability. She didn't want the government hunting our whole family done, so instead, she sent me away, promising that she'd see me again. I had cried, but I look back on that now as one of my most embarrassing moments. Then a hand touched my shoulder. I jumped and the lightning disappeared. "It's okay, Cole," a deep, menacing, voice said. "I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to keep you safe." 
   ...

If I were to tell you my dream...

If I were to tell you my dream last night, it would go something like this:

I was in a competition. Or rather, an administrator of a competition, which meant I couldn't be in it. But I snuck in any way, and so did another kid named Noah(I won't explain who he is and how I know him). So I was in a big truck, and I wear glasses, but I heard that part of the competition was swimming and I didn't want to damage my glasses, so I gave them to the old truck driver, and he put them on a shelf in the truck, telling me, "They won't fall." So I left my glasses with him. I walked out with this strange jumpsuit sort of thing on, with a nice pocket on the chest right under your neck. It was even waterproof. I looked down at my hand and realized I was playing with a blankie from when I...

All In Dreams

I watched the TV with a stricken face as the reporter woman, with mascara dripping down her face, said, "Today, we have been alerted of a strange new problem. People have been robbing banks with their eyes shut, and the police tried to grab one bank robber.
    "My hands went right through him," 
the officer next to her said. "It was as if he was only a fragment of himself."
    "So tell me,"
she said, holding the mike out to him, "what is exactly happening to these people?"
    "Instead of grabbing the robbers, we took pictures of their faces. And so now we've found the robbers. And if your picture is one of the ones on-screen, it would be appreciated that you turn yourself in for questioning." 

I glanced at all the pictures, relieved to not find my face. But then the last picture appeared. And it was me. At least it looked...

Caleb the Crime-Solver Episode Four :D

I cried out in pain as an IV was stuck in my arm. Then I reprimanded myself for being such a wimp. "So, Caleb," the mystery man said. "How do you feel?" 
    "Great," I said sarcastically. "Just great." He nodded and wrote something down. 
    "Do you like my work so far?" he asked. 
    "Why would I like your work?" I asked. "I haven't experienced anything yet-" And then pain coursed through my veins, setting my head on fire. I gritted my teeth, attempting to stop the scream fighting its way out of my mouth. I failed, and I screamed in pain. The man laughed a little, writing something down. 
    "How about now?" he asked. "What are your thoughts?"
    "That this" -I heaved a breath- "is the most stupid and idiotic thing that's ever happened to me." He wrote down what I said with a chuckle. 
    "Tell...

Music

I touch the keys unsure if I
            dare to take the risk.
But
            the m                       usic

flows                       from
            my fi                       nger
            tips.                        and
        then it                     comes
    from som                ewhere d
     eep insid                 e. I can
        not co                   ntain it. 

Now I am the instrument of the music, not the other way around.              

Caleb the Crime-Solver Episode Three ;)

I woke up wet. I kept my eyes closed, even though I was sure my captor knew I was up. "Caleb. Wake up," someone said in a singsong voice. "If not, then I guess I'll just have to dump another bucket of water on you." I opened my eyes reluctantly. A pale man in front of me smirked. I tried to move, only to find that I was suspended in midair somehow. The walls around me were shiny and gray. And the man in front of me was holding a strange, blue box. He stood and walked around me. "So you are the one investigating the crime scene." He laughed. "I don't believe it." I glared. So this person was one of those who liked to underestimate people. Fine. It is probably for the better that he underestimates me. 
    Although, I was used to going against Tauren, who was still pretty smart, never underestimated anyone. "What do you...

Leaves

The tree shivers
as the wind howls
and tries so hard
to take the
beauty away.

The tree stands
strongly, unwilling
to let its beauty go.
Already, the sun
has taken the green
out of its leaves.

Are the the wind
and the sun working
together to kill 
the hope the
tree has left?

They lose all
beauty and are
given choices.
What color will 
they choose?
Yellow, red, orange,
or maroon?

Then some leaves
give way. They
allow themselves
to be desecrated
and fall to the ground.
Soon, all color is lost.
The tree surrenders,
letting the wind win
the battle.

So now the leaves
wither. The tree
knows that they will
come back, but it
still misses its
companions.

Thus earth's
beauty fades,
until the next
season. Then,
the tree will
battle the wind
and sun. And
maybe, it will win.
.

Caleb the Crime-Solver Episode 2 :)

I woke up drearily in a beach chair. Wait. A beach chair? I didn't have one of these in my house. Aanndd, I never fell asleep tied up. Then it all flooded back into my brain. Uh oh. Uh oh. I was in deep trouble now. I should have listened to Laura. But the thrill seeker inside of me was cheering at the current situation. I looked around me. Light gray walls. A small half window near the ceiling. That meant I was in a basement room. In the corner, there was a camera with a blinking red light. Shoot. Now whoever this person was, they knew I was awake. And then the door opened. A hooded figure walked in, holding a file folder. "Caleb the Crime-Solver," the person addressed me, glancing down at the file. "That's what you go by, correct?" I shrugged.
    "Some like to call me the craziest, the coolest, or the calmest. But...

Flash Autobiography

Flash Autobiography

I straightened my hat and held onto my saxophone, blowing air into it. Our third competition and we were ready. I walked onto the 30-yard line, my fellow saxes in front of me. The annoucer said, "And welcome the Marching Panthers to the field. Their show this year is Classically Twisted." I marched into a group of other saxes. We played long notes, all a little nervous, but ready. Then the drum cadence stopped, and so did my heart.
    I stood at attention, ready to let these people in the crowd to know that the Marching Panthers from a small town knew how to take the show. The drum majors were announced. "Rachel? Is your band ready?' the announcer asked. She turned and saluted."Judges? Are you ready?" the announcer asked. "Marching Panthers, you are ready to take the field for competition." The crowd cheered loudly. And then the show started.
    My neckstrap crushed my neck, but I was ready....

The Sky

The rain, falling in drops
The puddles, growing with each drop.
The sound of splashing
And ripples of murky water
Reflecting the sky.
Does the sky like its appearance?
Or does it despise it?

The ocean roars nearby
Reaching for the sky
With white fingers.
Will the sky reach out too?
Or will the sky refuse?

A glass sits on the shore
Tilting toward the tide.
It fills with the sky's tears.
The tears fill it to its fullest
And the glass falls.
Is the sky proud of its work?
Or does it wish to go back in time?

Then night falls.
The sky calms, its tears all shed.
The ground is full, puddles
trying again to reflect
the sky once more.
Will the sky accept its true face?
Or will it cry again?

The sky looks down
with its white, full eye
on the puddle.
And it accepts itself
gladly.

Caleb the Crime-Solver

The wood floor creaks. I wince as I climb the stairs. Each stair creaks. I am sensitive to sound, and this seems really loud. I was in an old house. Technically, I shouldn't be here, but that hasn't stopped me before. I was (and still am) a take-action person. When I heard from a friend that there was someone kiddnapping children on this street, Park Avenue, I wanted to figure out why. My girlfriend, Laura, didn't want me to do it, but I did anyway. Now here I am. At 1303 Park Avenue. My name is Caleb the craziest, Caleb the coolest, Caleb the calmest, Caleb the crime-solver. And I was back. 
    The whole house was empty. The family was gone, but no one knows that except me. And don't ask me how I got into the highly locked house. I might or might not have used a window and a lock pick. I didn't use a sledgehammer,...

Could It Happen

I watched the wind rustle the leaves on the trees, sending some leaves falling to the ground. A wind gust came, blowing my dark brown hair into my face. I was walking on an  unused trail near our house.  I ran to this trail because of the argument I had with my dad. My dad. Why was he my dad? I thought bitterly.Because he had you, my mind voice said. My mind drifted away from thinking about my dad to our class’ trip earlier this week. Our class took a hiking trip,and I totally freaked out because a deer ran in front of us.The trail was beautiful, besides the occasional animal that happened to run across the trail.  Why am I so afraid of every animal I run into? I kept walking on the trail. I really didn’t want an animal to come by now to ruin my good mood.
    Suddenly, a cloud covered the sun. A...

Best. Memory. Ever.

I sat at the kitchen table, trying to concentrate on my math. But the numbers just weren't working with me. Plus, all I could think about was that my mom was really happy about something. She had told me that she had been passing out popsicles at the grade school with my crush's mom. They had talked about homecoming, and my mom had mentioned that I wasn't going, but that I might go if someone was going. So I knew that something was going to happen. It was just, you know, in the air. I stared at my paper, but I couldn't focus. Not when something was going to happen. Something big. I could feel it. Then the doorbell rang. Oh, gosh, I thought. It's happening, isn't it? I'm getting asked.For the first time in a while, I hoped that I looked presentable. In any other situation I wouldn't care if I looked like Caliban(look him up if you...

A Star Wars Story: Cassian (for all the rogue one fans out there!)

Cassian skipped around his family's dinner table, excited to eat. "Skipping?" his brother, Madal, said with raised eyebrows. "Skipping's for girls, Cass." Cassian frowned.
    "I'm not a girl, so don't call me Cass." He crossed his arms and placed himself in a chair, pouting. "My name is Cassian." His mother came up behind him and patted him on the back while she scolded Madal.
    "If he doesn't like being called Cass, then you don't call him that. Understood?"
    "Yes, Aljana, I understand," he said half-heartedly. Once their mother left the room, he went over to Cassian, gave him a ligh pucnch on the arm, and whispered, "Happy Birthday, Cassian." Cassian was about to punch him back, but then Aljana came in, carrying a platter with meat and rolls. Cassian smiled as he smelled spices native to his homeworld, Elando, in the Outer Rim. The rolls were dusted with garlic, and every year, Madal and Cassian would try...

Fell Away: A Tale Of Courage

I helped my mom knead our bread and bake it. That was our business. I didn't like baking, but I always liked the talk we had afterward. She would give me advice for the future. She would pray with me. "Jose," she said as we put the last loaf of bread in the oven, "come talk with me." I walked over to where she was standing and guided her to our kitchen table where we always spoke. "I have advice for you today."
    "What advice do you have for me, Mama?" I asked.
    "Follow Him always," she said. "And never forsake Him. He will lead you  through dark times, and that shall be enough for you. Do you understand?" she asked.
    "Yes, Mama. But who do you want me to follow? Papa's dead, so what other 'him' would I follow?"
    "Viva Cristo Rey," she whispered. Then she got up and locked the door.
    "Long...