Zoom

Takeacake

Jamaica

Mr. Raccoon! Mr. Raccoon!
Can't you play with me somehow?
No, I am eating dinner now.

"Let insecurities be blown away by the wind,
People are just too focused on intangible things."

Zoom

Takeacake (Jamaica) liked ​Running Away by casual.ties (New Zealand)

Zoom
Img 3648

Takeacake (Jamaica) started following baranananana (Australia)

Zoom

Takeacake (Jamaica) liked The Shack by baranananana (Australia)

Zoom

Takeacake (Jamaica) liked Her Letter Beside My Flowers by Jolenify (Singapore)

Zoom

Takeacake (Jamaica) liked X by Resi (Germany)

Zoom
1

Takeacake (Jamaica) published:

Smack 'em

You're stuck like peanut butter
To the roof of my mouth. Yuck.
I wish I could scrape you off with
My sharp tongue or wash you down
With some cold milk.

But each time I smack my lips,
You make my gums even stickier.
You're gross, you're clingy, you're annoying.
You're giving me bad breath, too.
So, why do I keep eating you?

Maybe it's because I like that you can be eaten in spoonfuls
And that you don't mind...

Zoom
1

Takeacake (Jamaica) published:

Going For Gold

PROMPT: Everyday Magic

Kary crouched behind the makeshift starting line of chalk. He was in sprinting position; palms parallel to the concrete, eyes facing ahead, and ready to pounce forward. His two sisters, Jenna and Kele, rushed to their positions. They synchronised their stopwatches then signaled each other from across the block. Kary stared down the row of his neighbors' garbage cans. He cleared all doubt of failure from his head. Kele pointed her fingers to the sky.

"Ready, set, go!" she...

Zoom

Takeacake (Jamaica) liked Smaug by Suri Purefoy (United States)

Zoom

Takeacake (Jamaica) published:

Girl from Office #2

Vincent looked longingly into Naomi's eyes. Flurries of snowflakes danced around her, trapping itself in the stitching of her newly knitted sweater. The sun peeked from a part in the heavens, casting its gaze upon Naomi’s delicate features. Her hair and body seemed to radiate an alluring aura. He admired the glistening crystals caught amongst the thickness of her batting lashes. Her almond-brown eyes averted away from his stare. He slid her left earmuff piece to aside. Vincent reached...

Zoom
1

Takeacake (Jamaica) published:

Close Encounters with The Very Incompetent [ excerpt ]

Very few citizens occupied the streets after 23:00 hours, and even fewer lurked on the docks. Among those few was Swain hastily walking down the boardwalk with camera in clutch. A snap there and here.  He approached the edge of the pier and peered into the sea. Swain aimed his scope at the waters. A barrage of flashes of light pierced the inky atmosphere.

"Beautiful," he said. “Glad to finally meet you.”

He stepped off the ledge of the pier...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Smack 'em

You're stuck like peanut butter
To the roof of my mouth. Yuck.
I wish I could scrape you off with
My sharp tongue or wash you down
With some cold milk.

But each time I smack my lips,
You make my gums even stickier.
You're giving me bad breath, too.
So, why do I keep eating you?

And that you don't mind being sandwiched
Between my drama, my jelly, my fluffy buns.
But I'm still going to smack my lips anyway,
To remind myself of what it is like without you
By my side.

Everyday Magic

Going For Gold

"Ready, set, go!" she said.

She shot her arm down and watched as her brother shot off. Kary imagined escape from a hungry leopard while he leaped over meter-wide gaps. He rhythmically pushed off the earth; 1,2,3, jump! He successfully cleared the first gap. Kary quickened the rhythm of his cadence; 1,2,3, jump, 1, 2-3, jump!He stuttered and sluggishly rotated his trail leg over the ledge of the gap. The predator clawed after the cloth of his shirt. Beads of sweat perspired from...

Open Prompt

Girl from Office #2

Vincent looked longingly into Naomi's eyes. Flurries of snowflakes danced around her, trapping itself in the stitching of her newly knitted sweater. The sun peeked from a part in the heavens, casting its gaze upon Naomi’s delicate features. Her hair and body seemed to radiate an alluring aura. He admired the glistening crystals caught amongst the thickness of her batting lashes. Her almond-brown eyes averted away from his stare. He slid her left earmuff piece to aside. Vincent reached out to touch her cheek. She winced. Her skin was hot against his icy palm.  He leaned in close to the exposed ear and whispered: 

“You, too, can save 15% or more on insurance by switching to Geico.” 

Staring back at him was a head-shot of a green amphibian presenting its company's slogan in a charming, Australian accent. He squinted at the cable box, its digital clock displayed "3:13 hours." He shifted his attention to the laptop propped...

He stepped off the ledge of the pier then descended to the body floating in the waters. He wrapped his arms around the torso of the stranger and pulled back. “Heave-ho! Heave-ho!” A transparent blob of blue slowly emerged from the flesh. “Heave-ho! Let it go!” His muscles strained against the pull of gravity, inching the blob out until it was yanked free. Swain was sent flying back, but tightly held on the blue spirit. He stabilised himself then released his catch. He wiped beads of sweat from...

[ Insert Appropriate Title here ]

No more bubble beads,
Playing double-dutch or tag.
Now we are skipping classes
And skipping heartbeats.

No more bedtime tales
Read by our loving mothers.
Now we share gossip
Through twittering thumbs.

We are looking for the thrills
Of drama to entertain
us. Because who cares
about judging friends behind

bright LCD screens?

Friendship Narrative Competition

Amnesiac

Joe’s eyes popped open. He sat up in his bed and frantically searched the area he occupied: a plain, eggshell-coloured room. He squinted down at his lap as he felt a sudden migraine overcome him. He reached up to cradle his head and discovered medical bandages wrapped around his skull. The room was devoid of any other life aside from a startled, pale freckled-face girl. Joe hadn’t noticed her sitting out of peripheral vision at his bedside.

“Good afternoon. Bad dream?” she said.

“I guess. Am I in a hospital? Why am I here?”

“You fell down and bumped your head,”

“How did I fall?” he said. “I don’t remember.”

“You were jumping on the bed.”

“Did I trip?”

“Well, your momma called the doctor, and the doctor said ‘No more joeys jumping on the bed!’”

Joe scratched his chin. He realised he didn’t know the girl. She looked too young to be part of the medical staff. She wore...

Friendship Narrative Competition

Amnesiac

Joe’s eyes popped open. He sat up in his bed and frantically searched the area he occupied; a plain, eggshell-coloured room. He squinted down at his lap as he felt a sudden migraine overcome him. He reached up to cradle his head and discovered medical bandages wrapped around his skull. The room was devoid of any other life aside from a startled, pale freckled-face girl. Joe hadn’t noticed her sitting out of peripheral vision at his bedside.

“Good afternoon. Bad dream?” She said.

“You fell down and bumped your head,”

“You were jumping on the bed.”

“Did I trip?”

Six-Word Memoir

Where Ever The Rabbit Leads

Take the red pill. Find truth.

Open Prompt

Girl from Office #2

Vincent looked longingly into Naomi's eyes. Flurries of snowflakes danced around her, trapping itself in the stitching of her newly knitted sweater. The Sun peeked from a part in the heavens, casting its gaze upon Naomi’s delicate features. Her hair and body seem to radiate an alluring aura. Vincent reached out to touch her cheek. She winced. Her skin was hot against his icy palm. He admired the glistening crystals caught amongst the thickness of her batting lashes. Her almond-brown eyes averted away from his stare. He slides her left earmuff piece to aside. He leans in close to the exposed ear and whispers:
    Staring back at him was a headshot of a green amphibian presenting its company's slogan in a charming, Australian accent. He squinted at the cable box, its digital clock displayed "3:13 hours." He shifted his attention to the laptop propped up on his...

Child Narrator

Mt. Garret

During late November the mountains have an isolated, scenic atmosphere. I can hear the trees rustling in the fleeting wind and the occasional breathing of tired joggers. I walk along a trail. Red and orange crunch underneath my feet, some louder than others, as if to cry out for travellers to notice its presence. My hands are freezing and soon my toes will become numb. Further down the trail are footprints embedded into the soft soil by hooves and sneakers. My spine curves under the weight of school supplies. I ignore the warnings of venturing off trail. I don’t plan on returning. I make a sharp right, right up a hill. I get down on my fours and push against gravity, nature, and God’s will to prevent me from reaching the top. I toss my bag up first then plant myself next to it. My palms are stained by the North American earth, my left sock has teared from a...

Poetry

Love note #5; Heartburn

To Ms. Lopez, the Lovely, Single School Nurse 
From Dooely, Your Recent Patient 

Nurse, I need medical attention! 

What a holy visitation, 
My angel, made of satin. 
My gluttonous heart eats your visage. 

My gluttonous heart swells. 

Stunned by Cupid’s baton, 
I come for medication, 
Bruised, hungry, damaged: 

Don’t let me perish! 

Your ice pack cannot extinguish 
This burning inflammation. 
Oh! The inferno in my chest! 

This aching heart yearns for stimulation. 

Nurse, I am filled with excitation!
Nurse, I am famished! 
Nurse, I cannot rest. 

RE: To Dooely, my recent patient 
From Mrs. Lopez, the Happily Married School Nurse 

You came to me last week, 
A face colored scarlet, 
And clutching your cotton tee, 
You complained of shortness of breath. 

Other symptoms: 
Fever, 
Heart pangs, 
Sweaty palms, 
Desert dry tongue, 
And horrid theatrical acting. 

Oh, what an endeavor 
For such lust is incurable. 
But the flames in your heart will cease 
If you take the Pepto-Bismol

Six-Word Story

Music lingo; A solo

An expression of sentiment in Bm*.

YOU in threes

Takeacake in 3rds

Three sources of comfort
            i. The resonance of well-tuned drum skins
ii. The clinging of a girl to my arm
  b. our relationship doesn't matter
                    iii. The idle gargling of my baby niece

Three beliefs

i. People should embrace their natural looks
      b. your body is a beautiful temple
     ii. Food is precious
      b. compliment the chef
        c. try not to be wasteful
iii. Lives are precious
    b. even those of the pest eating my garden cabbages

Three unknown qualities
            i. 87% of my humor is custom to whom I'm talking to
                b. unconsciously keeping tabs of what is effective for laughter
       ii. I have vivid dreams most nights
            b. sometimes it's lucid, nightmareish, or pleasant, but usually odd
    iii. My head is a bed of spirals 
             b. a result of skewball thoughts

Three sources of melancholy

i. The change...

The Unknown

Foreigner

I don't know how to keep my eyes off you. An exotic organism appeared at the bus stop late November, wearing bright, tropical colors that carried the Sun to the chilly, industrial morning. You sat in the back of the bus, alone, listening to marengue, batchata, and baladas. I would sit a row in front of you, hoping to absorb some of your radiating culture. We would walk amongst our peers, cold feet toward bodegas, humming to the bittersweet themes of passionate lovers, broken hearts, and intimacy. You would occasionally tremble in the Autumn air on our way to la escuela secundaria. You were still adjusting to the concept of winter.
    I don't know much about your culture. I was raised in a family of reggae music, patois dialect, and curry-everything meals. You didn't revolt from my spicy lunches that usually engulfed my classmates' tongues in fire. I guess it was better than the standard mystery-meat sandwiches everyone else was accustomed to....

Five Beginnings

Tag Tardiness Recklessness Criminals Defiance

Child Narrator
We planted our feet onto the pavement beside each others', and watched as Rodney's nimble finger eliminated each player until only two remained; Mine and Susie's.

Routine
Each day Jonthan woke up thirty minutes before his classes started. He would jump out of bed, throw on his uniform, and quickly move through his morning hygene. After twenty minutes spent at home, he would bum rush his front door, head to his nearest bus stop, and cuss underneath his breath as the school bus pulled away from him.

Question in reader's mind
The empty streets were all to themselves. Vincent and Naomi's laughter echoed throughtout the neighborhood as the two daring teens ran hand-in-hand through the storm of flurries.

Generalization/Statement
In the rigid mountains of Hyterra there lived a fearsome band of hidden bandits. No local authority dared to pursue them.

Character Description
Natasha stood in her bathroom, before her three-panel mirror, in her night gown. Her dark brown...

The Unknown

Foreigner

I don't know how to keep my eyes off you. I could tell you were new. You appeared at the bus stop late November, wearing bright, tropical colors that carried the Sun to the chilly, industrial morning. You sat in the back of the bus, alone, listening to marengue, batchata, and baladas. I would sit a row in front of you, hoping to absorb some of your radiating culture. We would walk amongst our peers, cold feet toward bodegas, humming to the bittersweet themes of passionate lovers, broken hearts, and initmatacy. You would occasionally tremble in the Autumn air on our way to la escuela secundaria. You still needed time to adjust.
    I don't know much about your culture. I was raised in a family of reggae music, patois dialect, and curry-everything meals. You didn't revolt from my spicy lunches that usually engulfed my classmates' tongues with fire. I guess it was better than the standard mystery-meat sandwiches everyone else was accustomed...

Poetry

Love note #5; Heartburn

To Ms. Lopez the lovely, single school nurse
From Dooely, your recent patient

Nurse, I need medical attention!

What a holy visitation,
my angel made of satin.
A gluttonous heart eats your image.

My gluttonous heart was swollen.

Stunned by Cupid’s baton,
I came for medication,
Bruised, in hunger and damaged.

Don’t let me perish!

Your ice pack cannot extinguish
my burning inflammation.
Oh the inferno in my chest!

Nurse, I’m filled with excitation.
Nurse, I’m still famish.
Nurse, I cannot rest.

RE:To Dooely, my recent patient
From Mrs. Lopez the happily married school nurse

You came to me last week,
A face colored scarlet,
And clutching your cotton tee,
You complained of shortness of breath.

Other symptoms were:
fever,
heart pangs,
sweaty palms,
dessert dry tongue,
And horrid theatrical acting.

Oh, what an endeavor
for lust is uncurable.
But the flames in your heart will cease
if you take pepto bismol.

The Limerick

Clouds Pens Swearing

What is it like to be a cloud

To float so steady and sound

What I wouldn't create

With no limits to shape

I would make eveyone laugh out loud

...

I love to play the pen

I borrow one and when

I sit at a desk

Each tap with such zest

Until I'm told it needs to end

...

Jon loved to swear

To whom, he didn't care

Until he was tied with rope

Fed bars of soap

Because he dared to curse while his mother was there

Lunar Phrases

Lunar goddess

The moon is a deity

who watches over her obsidian realm

she follows all activity in her view

and in an alluring cadence

she woos all who care to view her

pooling beauty into her admirers eyes

with her outspoken, silver radiance

Personal Narrative

My Father's Father

I admire my father. I thought he was invincible and unfazed by life challenges. He could do everything I thought was impossible. He could climb trees as tall as a mountain, and move like a seal through water. He beats me at everything from games, sports or trivia. He is talented, and hard-working. He supports his family by working two jobs while balancing time for himself, his family, and friends. But when I grew older, I realized my father wasn’t the impenetrable shield I imagined.

At the time, my grandfather recently had died of cancer. I didn’t like my grandfather, and I hated listening to his rants about how lazy, disrespectful, and idiotic I was; arguments he held only with himself. Whenever I spoke back to him during these rants, he’d threaten to whip me with his leather belt. Sometimes he’d threaten to beat me just because he wanted to. My grandfather seemed to dislike everyone, including his...

Takeacake's 39 Likes

​Running Away by casual.ties

Published 11 months ago

The Shack by baranananana

Published about 1 year ago

Her Letter Beside My Flowers by Jolenify

Published over 1 year ago

X by Resi

Published over 1 year ago

Smaug by Suri Purefoy

Published over 2 years ago

A Perspective On Life by theMiamest

Published almost 2 years ago

Forever by Christina Simpson

Published almost 2 years ago

Bright Things by Niamh Writes

Published almost 2 years ago

Forsaken by Daiichi

Published almost 2 years ago

Ouroboros [Excerpt] by Duck

Published about 2 years ago

A Saccharine Gentleman by RockSugar98

Published almost 2 years ago

Questions. by Vani Desabhotla

Published almost 2 years ago

Small Beginnings by Grace Mary Potts

Published about 2 years ago

If Looks Could Kill by Crys Partridge

Published over 2 years ago

The Band by Ellenrbnsn

Published almost 2 years ago

Real Blue by Sarah Feng

Published about 2 years ago

Killing Stars by Hanan Adi

Published about 2 years ago

Road Trip (With No GPS and Two Dead Gods) by Duck

Published over 2 years ago

Free falling through time by lila0neil

Published over 2 years ago

The Giveaway by 19edgarmayaallenangeloupoe98

Published over 2 years ago

Bishop's Backstory by Ford Coplen

Published over 2 years ago

The Forgotten Piano by David Levitsky

Published over 2 years ago

10 seconds of me, my, I by David Levitsky

Published over 2 years ago

A Game of Chess by casamiento

Published over 2 years ago

Derinkuyu by Tacita

Published over 2 years ago

A Work in Progress by Mina Lee

Published over 2 years ago

A Revelation by Owen Elphick

Published over 2 years ago

Aged~ stone elephants by Hannah Consuelo

Published over 2 years ago

within galaxies by temy

Published over 2 years ago

Jackrabbit Father by Angela Soria

Published over 2 years ago

The Color of Fear by Sasha K. Lotnikee

Published over 3 years ago

This is What it is by Grace Mary Potts

Published over 2 years ago

This is What it is by Grace Mary Potts

Published over 2 years ago

An Overdose of Magic by Zoe G.

Published over 2 years ago

Enigma by Hannah Kuduk

Published over 2 years ago

This is Not a "Coming Out" Story by Hannah Kuduk

Published over 2 years ago

Luna by Norah

Published over 2 years ago

The Secret to Happiness by InTheNow

Published over 2 years ago

Bartered by McKayla Rose

Published over 2 years ago

4 Likes from Others

Amnesiac

Liked by 3 people

Mt. Garret

Liked by 1 person

My Father's Father

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned almost 2 years ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 2 years ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned over 2 years ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned about 2 years ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned about 2 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 2 years ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned almost 2 years ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned over 2 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 2 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned over 2 years ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.