Jemima puddle duck by chantalgalvan d648ypi

Puddleduck

New Zealand

I am an enthusiastic young writer from rural New Zealand. I love writing, the native bush and my three pet calves.

'If a story is in you it has to come out'

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Dobby by Nafo23 (United States)

Boooooks

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Katie B. (United States)

Ted's oak tree

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Hanan Adi (United Arab Emirates)

Dg67ibxfuzu2bmsbou5sqs6h3.498x416x1

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Suri Purefoy (United States)

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Some Days by Abby Walker (United States)

Capture

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Elizabeth Bennet (United States)

F g

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Phoebe L (United States)

1
1

Puddleduck (New Zealand) published:

Sea of Corn

The cornfield stands. Still. Slowly, the wind tickles a few of the plants. The breeze brushes through the field. Soon all the corn is dancing, rippling, shaking in the tune of the wind. The rustling gradually begins to die and the sea of green stands again. Still.  

Seeking Peer Reviews

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Burn After Reading by DarkBlue (Australia)

Image

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Roisin Dauth (Australia)

Sea of Corn

Roses Need Thorns Too

She was the most beautiful creature the world had ever seen. She had luscious black hair and cherry red lips that gleamed with her smile. Beauty flowed through her, inside and out, like a sweet-smelling rose.
He was a wild one. Untamed, some said. He could never do anything right. His cold green eyes and rambling brown hair framed a face full of sadness, for without the love of another one struggles to love himself. He was society’s thorn.
She saw the beauty in him when he was blind to it himself. She saw the sad young man who had fallen to live by the words of others. She vowed to change him back to the man of his past.
He flinched at the sight of her, but as her red lips moved with delicate grace, he listened. "Every thorn needs a rose. Let me be yours," she whispered.
He shuddered with uncertainty, but as she stood on her tiptoes...

Zoom Out

Circus Act

The clown waved his arms and grinned before tossing a juggling ball into the air. His huge red nose wobbled with laughter. The light glinted out of his mischievous eyes. Just then he stumbled, and landed, face first in a pool of water. He rose, soaking wet and looking very disgusted. A drop of water fell from his chin.

The audience burst into peels of laughter. Children ​giggled and adults clutched their sides. A gust of wind blew into the big top and swept through them. They reached out to pull their hats back onto their heads. This didn't stop their squeals of delight at the infectiously funny clown, who was now sitting very smugly in the corner. They

Lexical Catharsis

The Cliche Clan

Meet my family-

Mum is the most cuddly person I know. She's nice to everyone and is the best cook ever. Mum's laugh and voice can be heard from ages away. Everyone loves her.
Dad is a bit of a buffoon. He's very embarrassing but can be funny. But he's lovely and we all love him.  
My big sister is only four years older than me but it feels like ten. She acts like she's too cool to have a sister like me and ignores us, especially when she's brought a boyfriend home.
My big brother loves to tease me. He's really sporty and can be really mean at times. He's doesn't do very well at school.
I'm quite quiet and bookish, pretty much invisible. I'm very clumsy, rubbish at sport and seem to make a mess of things all the time.
My little sister is very girly. She loves dressing up and princesses and is whiny and annoying. She...

Hoping for Rain

Summer strikes down on Earth, snatching water away from her surface. Earth gasps and watches with horror as her skin wrinkles. She watches as a small flower bud begins to wilt before it has blossomed, petals drooping inside its strong green case, a coffin already made. But Earth waits, hoping, for she knows that if she can, water will someday seep into her skin once more and all who watch with her will survive. She knows that hope is a powerful thing; sometimes it is the strength that keeps us going.

Writing for Children Competition

Fly, Quirky, Fly!

https://goo.gl/photos/peMmMt7PGk2cK4jH6

In the remotest corner of the New Zealand bush, in a place where no human had ever set foot, birds frolicked merrily and plants flourished. In the midst of it all, feasting upon the bright yellow berries of a bountiful karaka tree, sat Quirky the Kereru.
Quirky was not in the treetops like the other birds. Once, long ago, he had been able to get the juicy berries high up, but he had eaten a few too many and his iridescent green body was now too plump to get up there, so now he had to make do with the berries that fell on the ground.
Even on the ground, where sunlight was rare, the only things on his mind were the sun kissed golden berries. Just then a nice, big, juicy berry caught his eye a few steps away. Quirky stretched out his plump green neck until his red beak was only millimetres away from it. He reached...

Open Prompt

New Zealand Winter

While the northern hemisphere enjoys summer,
Us here in New Zealand are blowing noses as,  
Rain pounds on the roof,
Flooding valleys,
And leaving fields brown with mud, 

We enjoy,
Crisp frosty mornings,
Dark nights with a fire blazing,
Roast dinners,
and in some areas, snow 

On Saturday mornings,
Rugby players crowd fields,
Netballers breath in cool air on the frosty courts,
Soccer and hockey players also,
And the crowds of spectators that accompany them

Our winters hold colour,
From many evergreen trees,
And laden citrus,
And the birds that don't migrate,
To a warmer climate  

As spring dawns on the horizon,
New animals appear in paddocks,
Calves, lambs and kids,
And children and farmers who get up early to feed them,
Regardless of the weather

Us here in New Zealand enjoy winter

Writing for Children Competition

Fly, Quirky, Fly!

https://goo.gl/photos/peMmMt7PGk2cK4jH6

In the remotest corner of the New Zealand bush, in a place where no human had ever set foot, birds frolicked merrily and plants flourished. In the midst of it all, feasting upon the bright yellow berries of a bountiful karaka tree, sat Quirky the Kereru. The branch bent over so much with his weight that if there had been even the smallest of breezes both Quirky and the branch would have tumbled to the ground.
Of course, Quirky was oblivious to how close to misfortune he was. The only thing on his mind were the sun kissed golden berries. Just then a nice, big, juicy berry caught his eye. Precariously, Quirky stretched out his plump green neck until his red beak was only millimeters away from it. He reached a tiny bit further...
Whoosh! Something streaked towards the berry like a dart and snatched it off the tree. Quirky wobbled and the air from the bird’s wings rattled the...

Into the Woods

A Forest Worth Knowing

An army standing ridgid, in green and brown khaki,
They are felled one by one,
And they topple over,
Until the battlefield is bare and barren

Hairs on a mountains scalp,
Full of life that makes it itch,
No brush can tame them,
Until they are cut

A herd of giraffes, ​
Long necks rising towards the sky,
Up and up,
Until they lie on the ground and sleep

Wisdom greater than believed,
A gift given by time, ​A history unimaginable, Until it is taken away in order for new growth   A home for all who wish, Birds and insects and epiphytes, Who live happily in the strong boughs, Until it is time to move on   A forest of importance, Of strength, Of wildness, Of partnership, Of wisdom, Of knowledge, Teaching humans lessons worth knowing, Until their final moments  

Other Worlds

Nonsense

As silly as my Grandad was, he always hated books with 'nonsense.' He'd tell us the silliest jokes and tease us, but as soon as we gave him a nonsense book he would groan. He had to go along with it, as he was unwilling to disappoint us.
There was one in particular that we loved. He hated it worst of all. It stared two little chimpanzees called Chimp and Zee who went banana shopping and then sat on three big stones that turned out to be elephants. The illustrations were bright and interesting.  My cousins, brother, sister and I couldn't see how silly it was and didn't get tired of listening to it either. We enjoyed annoying Grandad. So every time we went to his house we pulled out the book and crowded around him. He'd read it and we'd love it. As we got older we started reading on our own so he no longer has to read aloud. Even so, my Grandad is still as...

WILD

Towards the Light

wild and reckless
                       vines entwined amongst trees
                                rambunctiously wandering
                                               through dense bush
                                        clinging to branches
                                  with gnarled arms
                                              and loose fingers
                                                         moving between trunks
                                                                like a slinking possum jumps
                                                                         hastily scampering
                                                                          over and under
                                                                  obstacles the eye can't see
                                                               never stopping 
                                                                      destinations forever moving
                                                                                                                                                                                     away
                                                                                             deep into the dark forest
                                                                                        where light is rare 
                                                                           yet within reach of the never ceasing vines

Living Locales

Oasis

In the meadow where the breath of wildflowers perfumed the air, bees hummed and wind frolicked, she found her oasis. The sun smiled down on the field, drinking up dew that slept on stalks of lush green grass. Around the edges hedges nodded and joked, waving to the little girls and boys that skipped past on the way to school. The meadow sighed contentedly and raised up her arms to welcome the world in, singing lullabies to any animal that chose to stay the night in her inn. As their eyelids fluttered closed and they were whisked off into a haven of sleep a delicate grin warmed the contours of her face and she too fell asleep, ready to wake up again when dawn tickled the shimmering black sky.

Mystery Writing Competition

On The Island

"Did you see her on the island, William?” I asked.
 “Of course I did!”
My big brother gave me his cheeky lopsided grin.
“What did she do this time?”
“She’d lost her tap-dancing penguin.”
He pretended to waddle. I clapped with delight.
“Go on!”
“She came down to Balloon Beach one day while I was swimming. All of her animals were there: the dog reading the newspaper, her canary with an afro, the penguin and the singing donkey! They went for a walk along the sand. The tide was high so they were right up the top near the balloon trees.
Her usual polka-dot pants flapped in the wind and the huge floppy yellow sunhat with the apple on top kept flying away, only to be brought back again by the dog. I don’t think she saw me. She was very deep in conversation with the donkey. He must’ve been angry with her because he stomped his hoof, but she...

Mystery Writing Competition

On The Island

“Of course I did!”
“What did she do this time?”
“She’d lost her tap-dancing penguin.”
“Go on!”

I Remember

The Joys of Giving

I remember entering the fabric shop and seeing colour swirling around me. I remember how excited I was to choose some. I remember Mum getting annoyed when I couldn't decide. I remember finally leaving with a handfull of fabric. I remember arriving at home and getting straight to work, cutting and matching ,stitching and stuffing. I remember how happy I was as I thought 'She's going to love this'. I remember carefully wrapping it up in bright Christmas paper and putting it under the tree. I remember the look on her face as she ripped it open and smiled with delight. I remember her hugging me. I remember knowing that my Grandmother would treasure it. I remember wonderful the joys of giving.

Moon girl

Moonlight beamed down upon the bay, casting a luminous glow over the rippling waters. Bathed in light, cliffs rose steadily towards the sky. At the top wind rushed through the long grasses, pulling at everything not safely secured to the ground. The land was wild, roving and free.
Amidst the cliff top grasses perched a ghostly, blue rock that shone in the light. A young girl sat atop the rock. Her skin was as pale as the moon and her long hair was as black as the night sky. Wind lashed against her cheeks, playing mercilessly with her tangled tresses. With trembling hands she clutched her knees into her slender body. A breezy dark blue dress barely covered her slim figure.
From afar the girl was a pleasure to the eye; a part of the stunning landscape, but on closer inspection you could see a river of tears streaming out of her deep blue eyes and onto her wind scorched...

Mystery Writing Competition

On The Island

“Of course I did!”
“What did she do this time?”
“She’d lost her tap-dancing penguin.”
“Go on!”
“She came to the beach one day when I was swimming. All of her animals were there: the dog who reads the newspaper, her canary with an afro, her penguin and the singing donkey! They went for a walk along the sand.
As usual, she wore that huge floppy yellow sunhat with the apple on top and the polka-dot pants. I don’t think she saw me. She was very deep in conversation with the donkey. He must’ve been very angry because he stomped his hoof, but she was smiling away as she always does.
I carried on swimming, but every so often I would peek over the waves to look at them. They were now building a sandcastle....

Geography of Home

My Kind of Paradise

Once, our house had been open. Now it is enclosed by the extensive trees that have grown up around it in its eleven year life. Slowly, they have enveloped the entire eastern side and blocked out the early morning sun. However, the harbour side still possesses a spectacular view, though some of it also has trees in the way. Sometimes we are treated with an amazing sunset, with colours that dance, shimmer and sparkle across the sky.

Inside it is bright and airy, colourful and ...cluttered with all of the various things a family of five needs. Games are strewn about the lounge and homework across the table. In winter the fire glows red in an effort to warm us all up. I love it best at Christmastime, when our home-grown pine tree stands tall and tinsel glides along the tops of the windows. The days are hot and we tent in the garden quite often.  

Most days, you can...

Turned to Stone

​Night Visitor

Outside the tent the night was as dark as the fur of a feral panther. Cold slunk around like a cat, creeping into my sleeping bag cocoon. Somewhere out in the darkness an owl hooted. Another replied, their calls entwining to make a ghost-like symphony. The whole tent trembled with my fear. Suddenly the zip of the tent began to slide, slowly being prized open by something. There was a thud as that something landed at my feet. Shaking, I looked up to see two menacing golden eyes gleaming from the light of my lamp, staring into mine.

WILD

Towards the Light

wild and reckless
vines entwined amongst trees
rambunctiously wandering
through dense bush
clinging to branches
with gnarled arms
and loose fingers
moving between trunks
like a slinking possum jumps
hastily scampering
over and under
more obstacles than the eye can see
never stopping
destinations forever moving
away
deep into the dark forest
where light is rare yet within reach of the never ceasing vines

Collective Voice

Kids of the countryside

We are kids of the countryside, of fresh air and animals. We spend hours racing through the bush and camping, playing games and soaring down waterslides. We couldn't care less about the clothes we wear each day and the time we come home from feeding our calves. We learn new skills, inside and out of the house that have been lost to new inventions. It is an idyllic way to grow up, isolated from the world of technology that has been forming. We only live half an hour from the biggest city in the country, but some people might say that we are in the middle of nowhere. To us we live in the middle of everywhere, the best place in our favourite country on Earth. Our home. New Zealand.

Moon girl

Puddleduck's 42 Likes

Dobby by Nafo23

Published 5 days ago

The Horror by Angelina Nguyen

Published 27 days ago

Some Days by Abby Walker

Published 5 days ago

Burn After Reading by DarkBlue

Published 10 days ago

War of Rage by Eimear O'Tuathail

Published 16 days ago

Dual Perspective by Maggie Mills

Published 20 days ago

The Forgotten Sea Shell by Alexandra

Published about 1 month ago

Rural Repose by Fidgetsally

Published about 1 month ago

Paper Balls by Jolenify

Published about 1 year ago

Falling, flying, living, dying by Angelina Nguyen

Published about 1 year ago

The Wolves of Redcreek Woods by MG Cowan

Published about 1 month ago

The Box by Angelina Nguyen

Published about 1 month ago

The Boy & The Girl by rhiskye

Published about 1 month ago

The Box by Angelina Nguyen

Published about 2 months ago

A Toddler by dlyn

Published about 2 months ago

He stopped, too. by Jasmine_K

Published about 2 months ago

The Man from the Sea by Harper O'Dell

Published 2 months ago

Cairo by Riley Noel

Published 2 months ago

The First Cut by Harper O'Dell

Published 2 months ago

New York City by matoakagirl

Published 2 months ago

Turning Darkness into Light by RockSugar98

Published over 1 year ago

Where Harrows Go to Die by Write the World Editor

Published almost 2 years ago

Rose by Riley Noel

Published 6 months ago

Forbidden Words by Mader

Published 4 months ago

That's What Sisters Are For by Zoe Skaggs

Published 5 months ago

Fingerpainting by gracecroken

Published 3 months ago

Secrets Get Buried by chloe.forssell@gmail.com

Published 3 months ago

Come Back by xojadex

Published 3 months ago

Racism Blood by Aliyah

Published 3 months ago

Shut up by Shanti

Published 3 months ago

Write by Luna Lemon

Published 3 months ago

Photograph by takylin

Published 3 months ago

Realisations by ParisInFrance

Published 8 months ago

Cattle and People by hannahgwtw

Published 3 months ago

Starlit Girl by EdMarie

Published 4 months ago

Eyes as Pale as the Moon by Andy

Published over 1 year ago

The Ghosts by she's-got-a-story

Published 5 months ago

Saving the Scars by Jia-En

Published 4 months ago

Remembering Remembering by Vanilla

Published 4 months ago

Serpent by FALLON MARTIN

Published 5 months ago

Heartbreak by Life's Been Good

Published 4 months ago

16 Likes from Others

Towards the Light

Liked by 4 people

Nonsense

Liked by 2 people

Fly, Quirky, Fly!

Liked by 1 person

Hoping for Rain

Liked by 2 people

Sea of Corn

Liked by 1 person

Roses Need Thorns Too

Liked by 1 person

Thornes and Roses

Liked by 2 people

Circus Act

Liked by 1 person

The Cliche Clan

Liked by 1 person

​Night Visitor

Liked by 2 people

Moon girl

Liked by 2 people

A Forest Worth Knowing

Liked by 1 person

Oasis

Liked by 2 people

Moon girl

Liked by 3 people

Kids of the countryside

Liked by 1 person

Towards the Light

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 4 months ago

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned about 1 month ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 4 months ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned 3 months ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned 3 months ago

Admirer

You've followed over twenty other writers!

Earned about 2 months ago

Patron

You're following over thirty other writers!

Earned 27 days ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 3 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 4 months ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned about 2 months ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 4 months ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned about 1 month ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned 4 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 2 months ago

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.