Jemima puddle duck by chantalgalvan d648ypi

Puddleduck

New Zealand

I am an enthusiastic young writer from rural New Zealand. I love writing, the native bush and my three pet calves.

'If a story is in you it has to come out'

Puddleduck (New Zealand) published:

Nonsense

PROMPT: Other Worlds

As silly as my Grandad was, he always hated books with 'nonsense.' He'd tell us the silliest jokes and tease us, but as soon as we gave him a nonsense book he would groan. He had to go along with it, as he was unwilling to disappoint us.
There was one in particular that we loved. He hated it worst of all. It stared two little chimpanzees called Chimp and Zee who went banana shopping and then sat on three big...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 11 hours ago

Screenshot 2017 05 25 at 9.32.51 am

Puddleduck (New Zealand) started following Marci Goodwin (United States)

about 11 hours ago

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked The Man from the Sea by Harper O'Dell (United States)

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Cairo by Riley Asher-Stalbaum (United States)

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked The First Cut by Harper O'Dell (United States)

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked New York City by matoakagirl (United States)

1

Puddleduck (New Zealand) published:

Towards the Light

PROMPT: WILD

wild and reckless
                       vines entwined amongst trees
                                rambunctiously wandering
                                               through dense bush
                                        clinging to branches
                                  with gnarled arms
                                              and loose fingers
                                                         moving between trunks
                                                                like a slinking possum jumps
                                                                         hastily scampering
                                                                          over and under
                                                                  obstacles the eye can't see
                                                               never stopping 
                                                                      destinations forever moving
                                                                                                                                                                                     away
                                                                                             deep into the dark forest
                                                                                        where light is rare 
                                                                           yet within reach of the never ceasing vines

Seeking Peer Reviews

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Turning Darkness into Light by RockSugar98 (Singapore)

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Where Harrows Go to Die by Emily Reeves (United States)

Puddleduck (New Zealand) liked Rose by Riley Asher-Stalbaum (United States)

Other Worlds

Nonsense

There was one in particular that we loved. He hated it worst of all. It stared two little chimpanzees called Chimp and Zee who went banana shopping and then sat on three big stones that turned out to be elephants. The illustrations were bright and interesting.  My cousins, brother, sister and I couldn't see how silly it was and didn't get tired of listening to it either. We enjoyed annoying Grandad. So every time we went to his house we pulled out the book and crowded around him. He'd read it and we'd love it. As we got older we started reading on our own so he no longer has to read aloud. Even so, my Grandad is still as...

WILD

Towards the Light

wild and reckless
                       vines entwined amongst trees
                                rambunctiously wandering
                                               through dense bush
                                        clinging to branches
                                  with gnarled arms
                                              and loose fingers
                                                         moving between trunks
                                                                like a slinking possum jumps
                                                                         hastily scampering
                                                                          over and under
                                                                  obstacles the eye can't see
                                                               never stopping 
                                                                      destinations forever moving
                                                                                                                                                                                     away
                                                                                             deep into the dark forest
                                                                                        where light is rare 

Living Locales

Oasis

In the meadow where the breath of wildflowers perfumed the air, bees hummed and wind frolicked, she found her oasis. The sun smiled down on the field, drinking up dew that slept on stalks of lush green grass. Around the edges hedges nodded and joked, waving to the little girls and boys that skipped past on the way to school. The meadow sighed contentedly and raised up her arms to welcome the world in, singing lullabies to any animal that chose to stay the night in her inn. As their eyelids fluttered closed and they were whisked off into a haven of sleep a delicate grin warmed the contours of her face and she too fell asleep, ready to wake up again when dawn tickled the shimmering black sky.

Mystery Writing Competition

On The Island

"Did you see her on the island, William?” I asked.
 “Of course I did!”
My big brother gave me his cheeky lopsided grin.
“What did she do this time?”
“She’d lost her tap-dancing penguin.”
He pretended to waddle. I clapped with delight.
“Go on!”
“She came down to Balloon Beach one day while I was swimming. All of her animals were there: the dog reading the newspaper, her canary with an afro, the penguin and the singing donkey! They went for a walk along the sand. The tide was high so they were right up the top near the balloon trees.
Her usual polka-dot pants flapped in the wind and the huge floppy yellow sunhat with the apple on top kept flying away, only to be brought back again by the dog. I don’t think she saw me. She was very deep in conversation with the donkey. He must’ve been angry with her because he stomped his hoof, but she...

Mystery Writing Competition

On The Island

“Of course I did!”
“What did she do this time?”
“She’d lost her tap-dancing penguin.”
“Go on!”

I Remember

The Joys of Giving

I remember entering the fabric shop and seeing colour swirling around me. I remember how excited I was to choose some. I remember Mum getting annoyed when I couldn't decide. I remember finally leaving with a handfull of fabric. I remember arriving at home and getting straight to work, cutting and matching ,stitching and stuffing. I remember how happy I was as I thought 'She's going to love this'. I remember carefully wrapping it up in bright Christmas paper and putting it under the tree. I remember the look on her face as she ripped it open and smiled with delight. I remember her hugging me. I remember knowing that my Grandmother would treasure it. I remember wonderful the joys of giving.

Moon girl

Moonlight beamed down upon the bay, casting a luminous glow over the rippling waters. Bathed in light, cliffs rose steadily towards the sky. At the top wind rushed through the long grasses, pulling at everything not safely secured to the ground. The land was wild, roving and free.
Amidst the cliff top grasses perched a ghostly, blue rock that shone in the light. A young girl sat atop the rock. Her skin was as pale as the moon and her long hair was as black as the night sky. Wind lashed against her cheeks, playing mercilessly with her tangled tresses. With trembling hands she clutched her knees into her slender body. A breezy dark blue dress barely covered her slim figure.
From afar the girl was a pleasure to the eye; a part of the stunning landscape, but on closer inspection you could see a river of tears streaming out of her deep blue eyes and onto her wind scorched...

Mystery Writing Competition

On The Island

“Of course I did!”
“What did she do this time?”
“She’d lost her tap-dancing penguin.”
“Go on!”
“She came to the beach one day when I was swimming. All of her animals were there: the dog who reads the newspaper, her canary with an afro, her penguin and the singing donkey! They went for a walk along the sand.
As usual, she wore that huge floppy yellow sunhat with the apple on top and the polka-dot pants. I don’t think she saw me. She was very deep in conversation with the donkey. He must’ve been very angry because he stomped his hoof, but she was smiling away as she always does.
I carried on swimming, but every so often I would peek over the waves to look at them. They were now building a sandcastle....

Geography of Home

My Kind of Paradise

Once, our house had been open. Now it is enclosed by the extensive trees that have grown up around it in its eleven year life. Slowly, they have enveloped the entire eastern side and blocked out the early morning sun. However, the harbour side still possesses a spectacular view, though some of it also has trees in the way. Sometimes we are treated with an amazing sunset, with colours that dance, shimmer and sparkle across the sky.

Inside it is bright and airy, colourful and ...cluttered with all of the various things a family of five needs. Games are strewn about the lounge and homework across the table. In winter the fire glows red in an effort to warm us all up. I love it best at Christmastime, when our home-grown pine tree stands tall and tinsel glides along the tops of the windows. The days are hot and we tent in the garden quite often.  

Most days, you can...

Turned to Stone

​Night Visitor

Outside the tent the night was as dark as the fur of a feral panther. Cold slunk around like a cat, creeping into my sleeping bag cocoon. Somewhere out in the darkness an owl hooted. Another replied, their calls entwining to make a ghost-like symphony. The whole tent trembled with my fear. Suddenly the zip of the tent began to slide, slowly being prized open by something. There was a thud as that something landed at my feet. Shaking, I looked up to see two menacing golden eyes gleaming from the light of my lamp, staring into mine.

WILD

Towards the Light

wild and reckless
vines entwined amongst trees
rambunctiously wandering
through dense bush
clinging to branches
with gnarled arms
and loose fingers
moving between trunks
like a slinking possum jumps
hastily scampering
over and under
more obstacles than the eye can see
never stopping
destinations forever moving
away
deep into the dark forest
where light is rare yet within reach of the never ceasing vines

Collective Voice

Kids of the countryside

We are kids of the countryside, of fresh air and animals. We spend hours racing through the bush and camping, playing games and soaring down waterslides. We couldn't care less about the clothes we wear each day and the time we come home from feeding our calves. We learn new skills, inside and out of the house that have been lost to new inventions. It is an idyllic way to grow up, isolated from the world of technology that has been forming. We only live half an hour from the biggest city in the country, but some people might say that we are in the middle of nowhere. To us we live in the middle of everywhere, the best place in our favourite country on Earth. Our home. New Zealand.

Moon girl

Moon girl

the
From afar the girl was a pleasure to the eye; a part of the stunning landscape, but on closer inspection you could see a river of tears streaming out of her deep blue eyes and onto her wind...

Puddleduck's 25 Likes

The Man from the Sea by Harper O'Dell

Published 3 days ago

Cairo by Riley Asher-Stalbaum

Published 3 days ago

The First Cut by Harper O'Dell

Published 3 days ago

New York City by matoakagirl

Published 8 days ago

Turning Darkness into Light by RockSugar98

Published over 1 year ago

Where Harrows Go to Die by Emily Reeves

Published over 1 year ago

Rose by Riley Asher-Stalbaum

Published 4 months ago

Forbidden Words by Mader

Published about 2 months ago

That's What Sisters Are For by Zoe Skaggs

Published 3 months ago

Fingerpainting by gracecroken

Published 21 days ago

Secrets Get Buried by chloe.forssell@gmail.com

Published 22 days ago

Come Back by xojadex

Published 25 days ago

Racism Blood by Aliyah

Published about 1 month ago

Shut up by Shanti

Published about 1 month ago

Write by Luna Lemon

Published about 1 month ago

Photograph by takylin

Published about 1 month ago

Realisations by ParisInFrance

Published 6 months ago

Cattle and People by hannahgwtw

Published about 1 month ago

Starlit Girl by EdMarie

Published about 2 months ago

Eyes as Pale as the Moon by Andy

Published over 1 year ago

The Ghosts by she's-got-a-story

Published 3 months ago

Saving the Scars by Jia-En

Published 2 months ago

Remembering Remembering by Vanilla

Published 2 months ago

Serpent by FALLON MARTIN

Published 3 months ago

Heartbreak by Life's Been Good

Published 2 months ago

6 Likes from Others

Towards the Light

Liked by 1 person

Oasis

Liked by 2 people

Moon girl

Liked by 1 person

Moon girl

Liked by 3 people

Kids of the countryside

Liked by 1 person

Towards the Light

Liked by 1 person

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 2 months ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned 2 months ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned about 1 month ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned about 1 month ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned about 1 month ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned 2 months ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned 2 months ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned 2 months ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned 14 days ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.