Img 0223

Mader

I live off of books, writing, sports, and family.
And food, of course.
I am extremely weird, but I embrace it.

Your quirks are not your weakness. Your quirks are your showcases of how strong you are to be able to reject the status quo. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Monster Flash Fiction Competition 2018

Demons

Everyone has heard of demons: the mischievous minions of Satan that torture the souls of the damned and create a ruckus up in the living world. Though, of course, they are only imaginary, only present in different religions and stories to keep kids from being bad. But there are demons that lurk deep inside us, consuming us in the very depths of our soul.
   Some are able to overcome them and live their lives to the fullest, but some become so twisted and damaged they lose their minds. You have probably heard of them too, things like depression, greed, anxiety, and envy. Society has written off these as just medical conditions or temporary lapses of judgement that should not be concerning. They have no idea what they are talking about.
   These conditions, these demons, take on a person’s worst nightmare or a person’s greatest desire and manipulate them into succumbing to the darkness and losing who they were....

Open Prompt

Forbidden Words

Speech.
  Forbidden in our day and age. In a desperate attempt to stop the pain and suffering that the harsh words of the time caused, the government decided that at birth, every child's voice box would be removed in order to keep peace among the citizens. They also created a law, just in case they missed a child, that if anyone was found speaking, their punishment would be being locked up for life. It has been that way for the past century, and it was going extremely well.
  Until they forgot a child.
  My name is Xavier Conwell, and I retain the ability to speak.

I have had to hide my ability my entire life, my mother never letting me out of the house while I was young and could not control my voice. As I got older, I learned to keep quiet, and now I am 15 years old, and everyone believes I am...

Becoming Human

Ocean

The ocean is always restless.
  Her body floating along.
  Sometimes peaceful.
  Sometimes violent.
  It all depends on her mood.
  When the sun greets her with a beautiful hello,
  the ocean feels the need to spread that joy to others
  with a gentle, occasional wave.
  When the ground rumbles their frustrations throughout the world
  the ocean shares her thoughts in his frustrations.
  When the thunderclouds rage, insulting and scaring his enemies
  the ocean decides to help him, raging against her enemy, the shore.
  She is considered a follower among her peers
  the river and the lake.
  But she is just quiet.
  Quiet until she is stirred by the world's frustration and rage
  She is restless until the frustration and rage cease to exist.
  Will she ever feel the peace of standing still?
  Will she finally get that singular moment of rest she deserves?
  Only time will tell.

Open Prompt

Forbidden Words

Speech.
  Until they forgot a child.