Pencils.and.paper.roses

Early Pearl

Writer
Poet
Nerd
RP-er
Baker
MARVEL
I like someone, don't tell
Virtual Student
Grade 10
Fascinated by British people and culture
Flood Escape 2, Speed Run 4 on Roblox
Totally in love with James McAvoy ❤️
M. Night Shyamalan movies
:)

Per my recent contest, here are the winner's shout-outs!
Silver Pen!
Mary Wall!
R.j.Elsewhere!
artificialaorta!
camlily!
And last (but absotively, most certainly NOT least) stripedfly1001!
GO FOLLOW THEM ALL! They'll greatly improve your dashboard.

Music is a great inspiration for me.

"First name Mr, Second name Glass." - Mr. Glass/Elijah Price, Glass

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there's footprints on the moon." - Paul Brandt

"We are not doing 'Get Help'!" - Loki, Thor: Ragnarok

"When you can see kids smiling, that's one of the best things." - James McAvoy

My blog link. :)
http://weirdgirllifestyle.blogspot.com

Also follow my Instagram at pencils.and.paper.roses! :D

#manateeq&a

What is your favorite book of all time
The Giver! Such s great story,  awesome characters. Close second is A Wrinkle In Time. :D

2. Your favorite movie?  
The Matrix, which has topped the list since I was 13. It’s scifi from the 80s-90s and stars Keanu Reeves and Hugo Weaving. But it’s now tied with Split, which was released in 2016, is directed by M. Night Shyamalan, stars James McAvoy, and is a thriller. I have such weird taste XD. 

3. What is your favorite TV show?  
This is Us! That’s my definite favorite. Second favorite is The Flash on CW (which isn’t even that good, but you just can’t stop watching) and...Spongebob Squarepants. 

4. Do you play any sports? If so, what are they?
I’m far too much of a klutz to play sports, although I do like to swim. I like to watch football and baseball though. :)

5. What is your biggest...

Normal

What is normal, really?

Is it being a straight-B student or a popular kid? Is it being someone who wakes up at 6 AM and goes to school every day? A kid who's always late? Is normal being the kid who sends selfies on Instagram every day to keep people updated on their life? Or is it being the one who doesn't use social media but has friends nonetheless?

Is normal being the kid who sits alone at lunch, the one who gets shoved into lockers and called a nerd? Is it getting F's on the tests that matter because your dad was out of a job, you had to work and didn't have time to study? Is it being the girl who cries herself to sleep because the kids were scared of her special needs brother and bullied him?

Am I normal? Are you? 

Is there really such a thing as normal? 

1 Photo, 100 Words

I Will Always Love The Jellyfish

I am on my first field trip in 9th grade; the aquarium. Many of the kids in my class are bored, but not me. My backpack holds my camera to take pictures to show my little sister. As I watch the jellyfish float through the water, I decide that they are my favorite animal. Suddenly a memory surfaces of my father placing me on his shoulders to see the animals better when I was four years old, before I was old enough to start school. I smile, remembering how I'd told him they would always be my favorite... 

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before the story, please! It's a continuation. :D This is a really short bit. 

So...you know how I told you my writer was trying to make me be in love with someone, but I liked someone that you knew?

I've worked up the courage to tell you who. I'm so embarrassed, but I'm going to tell you.

Ready?

It's you. My reader.

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D

I got an idea for a contest after I posted my character casting list, which is a cool idea I found somewhere. 

The prompt -
 - If you've ever written a short story or a longer story, choose the main characters (as in the main character, the villain, and major supporting characters) and write a short description of how you picture each of them, looks and personality-wise. Then pick the actor that would play them if the story were a movie! See my example piece here

Judging - 
 - There will be a first, second, and third place winner along with one honorable mention. You'll be judged based on how well you've done with casting.

Prizes - 
The first place winner will receive: A 2-week shout-out, 3 reviews, 3 likes, and 2 comments.
The second place winner will receive: 2 reviews, 2 likes, and one comment. 
The third place winner will receive: 1 review, 2 like,...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D  

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

A Paper Rose

A rose is known
for love.

The Beast's rose fading, withering 
as he did not find it.

A hopeful young one holding, handing
bouquets to his love.

But these are real.
Real roses, and real love.

So does a paper rose
mean a paper love?

Crescent Moon

I'm looking out my car window
                  while watching
                           the world
                                     pass
                                        by.

I glance upward and see the moon
                               a perfect
                                   crescent
                                      like a giant
                                          toenail
   ...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D 

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D  

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D 

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D 

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

Character Casting List

ALRGHTY! I was bored one day and didn't want to do my chores, so I made this list of all the actors that would play my characters if they were made into movies. Here it is!

NOTE: I did all of these AFTER I wrote the stories.

The Game - 

Lynn Thomas - Zoe Skaggs
This is me, so no description here XD.

Cassidy Jessen - Sadie Sink
Light hair color (blonde or red), taller than Lynn. She has a strong personality. The games she chose were Flame Evasion and Freeze Apocalypse (you kind of need context for this, but the piece is really long, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.)

Albany Corla - Quvenzhané Wallis (first choice) or Storm Reid
Young African-American girl who's very shy until you get to know her. She's shorter than both Lynn and Cassidy. She chose Water Evasion, Lost Time, and A-Mazed (also needs context)

Robin Jores - ...

#MyStoryQ&A

do you still live where you were born?  
I don't think so. I've lived in so many places in Kansas and Missouri that I honestly don't remember where I was born XD.

how many languages do you speak/study?  
I'm fluent in English (obviously, hence this language XD) but I know some Spanish and recently started learning French and Swahili.

do you consider yourself a good student?  
Sometimes...math and Chemistry are my worst subjects, and I've barely managed to keep them up to a C.

do you sport?  
Nope. I'm a huge klutz, hahaha. I love to watch sports though.

are you religious?  
Yep. Going into missions work later in life. :)

what should you be doing right now? (me, studying for two tests i have in about 12 hours)  
Writing my next novel...it's dedicated to my baby foster cousin who might not be with us for much longer, so I want the chance to give it to my aunt...

My December Writing Competition 2018

Instead, We Wait

For most, December means Christmas,
toys and games
family meals
and tales of the past.
But not
for us.
We aren't holiday people.

Instead, we wait
for snow
Glorious, shining snow
that covers our shoes
soaks our ankles
and silvers our hair.

Instead, we wait
for hymns
Loud, rolling church hymns
that tell of the Holy Child
bring joy to our hearts
and smiles to our faces.

Instead, we wait
for love
Beautiful love
that arrives at Winter's start
makes eyes shine
and shows the heart's true spirit.

Instead, we wait
for December
a chilly month,
yet the happiest month.

Tales of goodwill fly,
songs of joy are sung,
and bells are rung
In December.

#paperbirdq&a

Discovered this a minute ago and decided to do it XD

what's the story behind your profile picture?  
So my sister sharpened a pencil and discovered that she could make the resulting shaving REALLY long, which resulted in actually looking very pretty, like a rose. My photographer's creative eye thought that it would make a good picture, so I posed the pencil shaving with a couple of pencils and thought it looked great, so I made it my pic. XD Opinions?

when you start a "free writing" piece, do you like the font better when it's the editing font or the published font?  
Published.

what movie scarred you for life as a child?  does it still freak you out?  
Hmm. Well, I watched Alien when I was 9 years old (bad decision on my part XD), but that actually wasn't that bad...I'm not sure there's actually BEEN a movie that scarred me for life yet. It'll probably happen sometime...

Mixtape

Awesome Mix Vol. 1

Music; an impossible combination of banging, strumming strings, and the human voice. So confusing, yet so wonderful. And most Americans will spend an average of 32 hours per week listening to it. Most people also have a "soundtrack to their life", filled with songs that mean a lot to them, songs that helped them through a time of their life, and songs that they simply love.

This is mine.

1. Candlelight Eyes by Alan Gogell (Years 0-3). This is a wordless tune, somewhat repetitive yet beautiful and inspiring. But how fitting is this for a baby, eh?

2. Free to Be Me by Francesca Battistelli (Years 4-5). A bright, happy tune telling about the singer and what she can do. The anthem of a 4-year old, you can't deny this. We were living with our great-grandmother at this time, so I was especially close to her then.

3. Born to Be Free by Moriah Peters (Year 6). Truly a song of...

THE RESULTS OF EARLY PEARL'S SECOND CONTEST!

Alrighty peoples, judging is over and the results of my second contest are IN!
It was VERY hard to choose between all 12 of the entries that I got. All of them were so amazing and well-written! Anyway, ONWARD!

First place goes to...
Silver Pen with their absolutely awesome piece, Paradox
This piece was so cool. The formatting and the language are wonderful. Like some readers said, you have to read it several times before you understand it (which I'm guessing is the point haha.), but once you DO get it, you're just completely in awe! It's such an amazing piece. Go read it! 

Silver Pen will receive...
3 reviews on pieces of their choice
5 likes on random pieces
A shout-out + message to follow
A follow from me!

Congratulations, Silver Pen! Leave your review requests (if you have any, otherwise reviews will be random) in the comments!

Second place goes to...
Mary Wall with her amazing piece ...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before this piece, please! :D

Wow, I’m really sorry we haven’t talked in a while. But, you know, I’m the main character now. Even though I’ve been them for about a week or so now, my mind is STILL blown. Anyway, I think the writer wants to make something happen to me pretty soon. 

I think they want me to be the love interest of someone. But I don’t want to!

I think I love someone else, and you know them. 

OH M'GOSH IT"S HERE

Sorry for this random-ness, but MAJOR FANGIRL MOMENT. It's slightly aimed at rosemarywisdom, fellow Marvel nerd. :) (3

THE
AVENGERS

TRAILER
IS HEREE!!
AND 
IT
HAS
A
TITLE!!!!

Go look it up! Right! Now!

EARLY PEARL'S CONTEST UPDATE!

Hey-o, peoples!

Quick update. My contest deadline was yesterday, so all pieces entered DECEMBER 5TH and EARLIER are in judging! Winners will be announced on December 10th! Thank you to all entrants, and good luck to everyone (because I haven't read them yet, lol!) :D

Random Question

EDIT: XD You guys have great ideas! I can totally use those sometime. But I mean something that you would say, like "The rooster flies at midnight" or something, but a little less dumb, lol. Thanks again! :D

OKAY Y'ALL I HAVE A WEIRD QUESTION FOR YOU

What's a thing that could be a secret password/code for an organization? I'm kind of in need of it right now for a story. 

Thanky all! :D
- Early Pearl 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

Hey-o writers! Just a quick reminder that IT IS THE LAST DAY to enter this contest! So if you want to enter, enter soon! I already have about 12 entries, but any more are welcome :D

Okay y'all, I'm hosting another contest! :D This one will be a flash fiction contest. I will keep re-posting this until the deadline in order to get enough entries. :)   

The Prompt - 
 - A piece that is fifty words EXACTLY, no more or no less, that describes a game. Whether it's a fictional game (like something that you wrote) or a board game (like Monopoly), a game like Tag, or a mind game (like physcological tricks), you can write about it.

The Prizes - 
 - There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, along with two Honorable Mentions.

- First Place: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the Winners Announcement, please), 5 likes on...

And She Sang: #streetkids

Thalia was a shy, auburn-haired 16-year old girl who wore glasses with silver dots on the frames. She had no home but an alley, and her mother had died 1 year ago, leaving her all alone.
     Oftentimes, she was the one who sat in the back of the class at school, listening and diligently taking notes but never raising her hand. She would sit with her one friend, a talkative book lover named Sophie, at lunch every day and share her friend's iPod.
     On Sundays, she would attend church, sitting in the back and standing with the rest of the congregation for worship. It was her refuge. 
     However, while she was simply the poor, shy, auburn-haired girl who sat in the back of the class, Thalia wished to be someone else. At the age of 6, she'd heard a song played at a street concert that she and her mother had passed and begun...

#tenwords

She watched the smoke float upward, face wet with tears. 

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before this piece, please. :)

My thoughts are totally scrambled right now. My sister just went off to college (and got over the breakup plot twist), so the writer just made me the main character! Me, just the lowly sibling of the original main character! I can’t believe this!

I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. How do they expect me to do this?? I’m going crazy! I bet you’ve never had to deal with anything like this, anything this big.

Wait, you have??? Will you help me? 

I really need someone I trust right now. 

Amber: Prologue

Avery Darilo stood under the streetlamp, her baby brother Chozyn in her arms and a backpack over her shoulder. Should she really go through with this? She was realizing that she hadn’t really thought it through too well. Finally she shook the doubt from her mind and stepped forward, leaving her neighborhood father behind with each step.

Why was she doing this? It was a long story. Avery’s family was in the midst of financial despair, and her parents’ faces had creases etched into their foreheads, always worrying about the money to take care of the family. They’d sold the majority of their furniture and moved into a small house, but it still wasn’t enough. So Avery had made a plan.

Her grandmother lived in Amber, Colorado, and she had told Avery that she could visit anytime. Of course, they hadn’t had Chozyn yet then. But Avery was sure that it wouldn’t affect her plan: She...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before the piece, please :)

Well, the plot twist came and went, and it didn’t really affect me. It was just that my sister’s boyfriend broke up with her. Now I have to deal with her crying every ten minutes. I mean, I feel bad for her, but it’s SO annoying. 

I’ve never had someone I could love that much. Except my family, obviously. But I don’t think they count. I guess words on a page don’t really have to love. 

But I wish I could. 

Maybe some day I will. 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

- First Place: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the Winners Announcement, please), 5 likes on random pieces I really love, a shout-out in my Message From Writer box, and a follow if I'm not already following you.

- Second Place: 2 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

Okay y'all, I'm hosting another contest! :D This one will be a flash fiction contest. 

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

- Second Place: 2 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the Winners Announcement, please), 3 likes on random pieces I really love, a shout-out in my...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

My December Writing Competition 2018

Instead, We Wait

For most, December means Christmas.
But not
for us.
We aren't holiday people.

Instead, we wait
for snow
Glorious, shining snow
that covers our shoes
soaks our ankles
and silvers our hair.

Instead, we wait
for hymns
Loud, rolling church hymns
that tell of the Holy Child
bring joy to our hearts
and smiles to our faces.

Instead, we wait
for love
Beautiful love
that arrives at Winter's start
makes eyes shine
and showing true spirit.

Instead, we wait
for December
the coldest month
yet the happiest month
tales of goodwill fly
songs of joy sung
bells rung
In December.

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before this piece :)

I think my writer’s about to hit a plot twist in my story. It makes me a little nervous. Do you think I should be? Technically words on a page don’t have a reason to be nervous. 

What if it’s bad? What if I die? No, that won’t happen. I’m still important, even if I am just a supporting character. 

But I feel suspicious now, and I don’t know why. Probably just because I don’t know what’s about to happen. 

I’m so glad I can trust you. You’re the only one I think I can believe. 

Thank you.  

The Many Mispronunciations of Ryan Duft: My Entry for PineappleGirl's Contest :D

Alright, PineappleGirl, prepare to fall off your fuzzy chair you sit on when you eat grilled cheese, because you are about to 
crack
up!

So, I go to a virtual/online school. You do all of your lessons online, and for class periods (which are not every day), you go to an Adobe Connect classroom. One day, me and my brother Liam went to a social LiveLesson (that's what they call them) that was just for our grade.

This particular LiveLesson was the funniest I've ever been to.

Now, the Adobe Connect rooms have this weird feature where it lets you change your name as long as you can see it. My brother absolutely loves this feature. So he changed his name to "Cheezboiga" (which he pronounces as "Cheese-boy-guh". But our teacher, Mr. Duft (who never seemed to really understand what was happening), didn't...quite...see it that way. "Who is 'Cheezbioga (cheese-bee-oh-guh)'?" he asked the class, profoundly confused. 

Thankfully, no one had...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before you read this piece :)

​Ya know, my life really isn’t that bad, it’s just my backstory. Like my life used to be bad. But now I don’t have to worry about everything that happened then. Heck, I barely have to worry about what’s happening now; the writer takes care of all that!

Of course, it’s still disappointing to think about how you can do whatever you want, but it’s not so bad now. 

Thanks for for being so willing to listen to me. 

I wish I could hug you. 

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Oh, um...hi. I’m a little surprised you’re still talking with me, you know, after earlier. What I said. I’m sorry about all that. 

I’m just so tired of being the one manipulated, by the writer, by my sister the main character, and even by myself. So I kind of just lashed out. 

I hope we can still be friends. 

House of Books

House of Books

The library is my favorite place to be. This might sound like a simple, probably exaggerated statement, but believe me when I say no way. 

As the biggest bookworm in my family, I will check out and read books by the dozen. One time I read 20 books in two weeks, and about 12 of those were read at the public library. 

Even my my first job was at the library. Every day I would get driven to the library by one of my parents and stay for four glorious hours, surrounded by books. I would survey the covers and blurbs, smiling when I came across ones I knew, and then carefully shelve them in the correct places. Some of the librarians still know me by name. 

It was a dream come true.  

Now, I go weekly and check out a self-given maximum of ten books while reading excerpts of several others while still there. I tell my brothers about...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

See the footnotes before reading this piece. :)

Boy, I’m bored today. My writer is at a boring part in my tale, and there’s nothing for me to do! I’m not even the main character; I’m just a sibling. 

What did you do all day? Something interesting, probably. You probably got to celebrate the holidays with your family yesterday, and now you need a break from the excitement. 

What, you’re surprised that I know about the holidays? I’m words on a page, not a brainless idiot.

Persevere #bothprompts

At this tender age of 4 years old
I don't know much about the world.
Yesterday my mom said "persevere"
and I was confused, truth be told.

"Mommy, what does that mean?"
I asked in my small voice.
She leaned down with a smile
and said "Are you sure? It's your choice."

I nodded brightly and she began to tell the tale
a tale of sad 
and happiness,
one remembrance won't soon fail.

A man who tries his best,
and though he barely succeeded,
he continued on and worked so hard
until finally he finished, he did.

A little bird
who's yet to fly
and continues on
until she's finally learned

A girl like me
that loves to dance, but never can
so she tries and tries, and tries and tries
until eventually she can move as gently as the sea

"Do you think you understand now?"
my mother asks gently.
I nod my head and close my eyes
and...

crack
up!

So, I go to a virtual/online school. You do all of your lessons online, and for class periods (which are not every day), you go to an Adobe Connect classroom. One day, me and my brother went to a social LiveLesson (that's what they call them) that was just for our grade.

Now, the Adobe Connect rooms have this weird feature where it lets you change your name as long as you can see it. My brother absolutely loves this feature. So he changed his name to "Cheezboiga" (which he pronounces as "Cheese-boy-guh". But our teacher, Mr. Duft, didn't...quite...see it that way. "Who is 'Cheezbioga (cheese-bee-oh-guh)'?" he asked the class, profoundly confused. 

Thankfully, no one had their webcam or their microphones on, and it was a...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Yesterday my writer hurt my heart. She gave me a backstory that I would never have guessed from how I am now. 

And it kills me. How am I living like this? 

Since I live like this, it’s interesting to think about how you must live. You don’t have a writer controlling your every move, your every thought and every word. You are free to do as you please. 

It it must be so wonderful. 
Will you tell me about it sometime?

Fourth Wall Love Story

So, I’m new here. Who are you? 
I guess I should probably tell you a little about myself first. But then, that isn’t  really possible, since I’m just words on a page. 

I will just be who I believe myself to be. 

Now you, you’re real. You are a living, breathing being who can actually do things. And you probably know a few others. You’re lucky. Ugh, it’s annoying to be so sure. 

You are annoying in your certainty. 

rosemarywisdom Q&A :D

1. Do you have a favorite line from a movie/TV show/book? Why?  
Movie line: "...Etcetera..." XD (Hedwig, Split)
Book line: "Ya know, the only real way to eat a pinecone is with tortoise gravy and a sense of self worth." (The Third Stall)(XD! This one came from my brother actually, who read the book and then told me the line. Greatest ever.)

2. Describe your ideal outfit.  
A really long, flowy gold dress that you could wear to an awards ceremony XD

3. If you could dye your hair any color, what would it be? Or would you choose to not dye it?  
I've considered putting blue streaks in my hair, but decided against it because my hair is brown...I might dye the ends blonde, or something like that. Not something super crazy.

4. What's one fandom you can theorize over for hours? (So if someone asked you "What's (insert fandom here)?", you'd go all out and explain every...

Q&A!

Hey y’all! Per the trend that’s been going around WtW (the one I’m probably late for, lol), I’m finally creating a q&a! These are really random questions, not related in any way, so prepare yourself. I’ve included my own answers here, just because I like these. Title your piece #earlypearlyq&a and post the link in the comments! :D

Okay! 

Q: Do you like/use autocorrect?
A: No way. I mean really, why does every virtual assistant think you mean “hobble” when you type “home”???

Q: How many pieces have you looked back on and cringed while reading them?
A: Definitely some...I can’t remember all of them, but there’s been at least five.

Q: How many siblings do you have, and what are you among them (oldest, middle child, etc)?
A: 3, I’m the oldest. 

Q: What is your all-time favorite movie quote? Also tell what movie and character it’s from, bonus points if you know the actor! :D
A: “ (sorrowfully)...So...

Hide and Seek: Chapter Three

Carson had woken up and began to be obnoxious again. He cracked Rhiel up by making weird faces, but when he sent a snot rocket in the direction of Willow’s book, their parents had made him call it quits. He’d sat, annoyed, for the next 10 minutes before pulling out a book of his own. They read in silence for another 45 minutes before pulling the car into the large parking lot of a hotel. They looked up from their books at the giant building and smiled. “Whoa!” Willow said, her jaw dropping. It was the biggest hotel she’d ever seen. “Is this where we’re staying?” “Yup,” her father replied. Carson pumped his fist in the air and headed to the trunk to get his backpack. Unlike Willow, Carson had chosen to pack all his entertainment materials into the back pockets of the seats in the car.
     They headed into the hotel, bogged down with their luggage. “One room,...

#reptilianQ&A

What's your zodiac sign, and do you think it fits you? If not, is there a different sign that you think would fit you better?  
I'm Cancer, but I don't really pay attention to them so I don't know if it fits XD

2. What's the time right now where you are?  
11:01, Central Time.  

3. How many languages do you speak? Ones you're learning or half-learned a year ago but kinda forgot about count too.  
English (duh, lol), some Spanish, very small amount of French. :P I need to continue Spanish and French. 

4. What's the last movie you saw, and what did you think of it?  
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Holy crap I died laughing! Martin Freeman is great in it. I'd intended to read the book beforehand, but didn't get the chance, so I'm reading it now.

5. What's the first song that comes to mind as you're reading this question?  
Ummm...what? XD The song...

A Letter From The Unwritten Characters

Dear writers everywhere,

Everyone has a reason to write, we know. Whether it's for yourself or for others, we understand.

But we want out! We want our stories told. We can't be stuck in your heads forever. The things we want to do and the things we need to do won't happen unless you make it happen. 

Even our families, our baby brothers and sisters, cousins, parents, and grandparents, won't live forever. So help us get out while we can, otherwise we will wither and fade, and our stories will never be told. 

So please do us a favor: Tell our stories for us. Sometimes we'll fight you, and sometimes we'll obey. But we will always want our stories told.

Sincerely,
The Unwritten Characters

P.S. We thank you for having the ideas of us, even if we're not out yet.

Hide and Seek: Chapter Two

When she nervously went outside to get back in the car later, she glanced around and saw no sign of the man anywhere. Thank goodness for that, she thought. She strapped her seatbelt in and looked back out the window. Then to her horror, she saw him right outside the door of the building! She’d just left the building a second ago, and he hadn’t been anywhere; it was impossible! She turned back around and took a deep breath. You’re just seeing things, Willow, you’re just seeing things, she assured herself. She left her books in her bag this time and payed attention to what her family was doing.

She didn’t know why. Maybe to see Rhiel hiccupping again. Unfortunately nothing happened this time, and she fell asleep before she knew it.

She was woken up to Rhiel crying 4 hours later. “Oh, Rhiel,” Willow said sleepily. Her twin was still asleep, and her mother was close...

Novel Writing Competition 2018

Hide and Seek: Chapter One

Chapter One 
“Willow, why aren’t you dressed yet? We’re leaving in half an hour!” Willow’s mother told her, exasperated. Willow pulled herself up off of the couch reluctantly. She was not looking forward to this trip. She’d been informed 2 months ago that they would be traveling to Des Moines, Iowa to help her aunt with her wedding. Having never really met her aunt, except once at a birthday party for someone else she didn’t really know, she was happy for her, but didn’t really see the point in going to the wedding at all. She didn’t even know her!

Despite her annoyance, Willow went upstairs to her bedroom and pulled on an unstained t-shirt and a pair of leggings. She brushed back her short, curly brown hair into a ponytail and stuck her feet into a pair of flats. There, she thought, looking at her reflection in the mirror. That should satisfy Mom. “Did you brush...

Censored

The cry of stories never told,
sadness brought through parts ripped from a whole

Told not to say the words inside your head
driving you to madness

Finally farewells are exchanged,
tears are shed

Before walking off
into
the
sunset.

Novel Writing Competition 2018

Hide and Seek: Chapter One

Chapter One

Where's The Cat? (Written for CageySagey234's Contest)

Where is my cat?
She's disappeared 
into the great unknown,
and I think she stole my hat.

My baby brother seems to know,
as every time I think aloud
he giggles
as if for show.

"What did you do with her?"
I ask with eyebrows raised,
but he only grins,
his clothing covered with fur.

I feel around under the couch, 
seeking for my ball of fur,
but instead I find a tack.
"Ouch!"

Finally I give up and grab her favorite food
it always brings her back to me,
without a doubt, 
this is true.

"Aha!" I shout after shaking the bag.
She's appeared right in front of me,
my hat in her mouth,
looking as though she'll sag.

"You naughty kitty, how could you do that?"
I cry, picking her up and holding her tight.
"You know you can't hide away,
especially with my hat."

#flower

Written for SomeFormOfWriting's contest! This was most definitely NOT how I thought this piece would turn out. But it's what happened, and I actually like it a lot. I hope you do too! :D

Dahlia was, quite literally, a dahlia. She had as many faces as the flower for which she was named. Despite her beauty, this was not a good thing. The multi-faceted person consisted of treachery, lies, and betrayal. Even her beauty was stolen from the perfect, innocent dahlia flower: the lovely red of her hair a dead ringer for flower petals, the green of her usual dress the stem. 

And despite the monstrosities in her past, she was loved. Her neighbors, her classmates, even the little squirrels that ran past when she walked in the park adored her. Clearly none of them knew what she'd done. But I did. I knew every awful thing that had happened because of her, every horrible betrayal. Everything.

And I...

Amber: Prologue

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step… - Lao Tzu, Chinese Philosopher

Prologue

Her grandmother lived in Amber, Colorado, and she had told Avery that she could visit anytime....

Amber: Prologue

Prologue

CatherinelyMesQ&A

1. Have you ever found yourself questioning your sexual preference when you met someone? If so, who? 
Nope.

2. Complete which one pairs with your gender (or body type) 
    a. Girls - Have you ever gotten your period and bled through really bad in a public place? 
Thankfully no, lol! Only at home.

3. How many people have you dated, and what is the numbers?
Actually, I have never gone on a single solitary date XD Soon maybe, but not yet!

4. What do you think of this pun? 
    "What was Forrest Gump's password? 
    1forest1." (If you don't get it say it out loud lol) 
Oh m'lord. XD

5. Who is your favorite YouTuber? 
Ehhh...if I HAD to pick one it would be Julian Smith or Rhett and Link (I like the funny stuff haha). Or for music videos, it would be OK Go, because HOLY CRAP, their videos are insaaaane.

6. What song...

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game?

Should I ask her? Lynn Thomas thought. She was lying in bed on a Thursday morning before school, wrestling with an idea. “Lynn!” her mother called from downstairs. “Come get breakfast and grab your backpack or you’ll be late for school!” I’ll ask her after school. Lynn decided. She crawled out of bed and rubbed her eyes, then headed downstairs. At the table, she discovered that her mom had made mini chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. “Mom!” Lynn said, happily surprised. “I thought you saved these only for special occasions!” Her mother turned and smiled. “Usually I do.” She answered. “But, just this once, I decided to make them for you, because remember, the day that starts the month before the Game is considered a national holiday, which counts as a special occasion.” Then her smile turned to a frown. “You aren’t dressed yet?” Lynn looked down at her pajama top...

Personal Essay Competition: Making Change

On a Mission(s) to Change the World

I was young, only 13 years old, when I knew what I would be when I grew up. I was sitting at my desk, drawing, and for some odd reason, thinking about the future, what I would do, what I would be. Would I be an author, always my plan? Would I visit France and become a mime, something I'd never even considered? Then suddenly a thought struck me: Maybe I should go into missions

I've forever wanted to change the world for the better. A missionary changes the world for God. How could I do that? I had always been a PK, a preacher's kid, and also a preacher's grandkid, and growing up, I'd read books about Corrie Ten Boom and Gladys Aylward, famous missionaries in the past. Both of them were amazing, inspiring people, and they brought the Lord to people in China and during WWII. But, leaning on my writing talent for my future career, I'd...

The Winners of Early Pearl's Contest!

Hey-o writers!

Thanks so much for all of your entries! They were all amazing, and you better believe I read them all. I loved them! It was very hard to choose a favorite. But finally I decided!

The prizes 
First Place: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice (post links in the comments, please :)) and a follow if I'm not already.
Second Place: 2 reviews (comment the links, please), and  I will also like four of the pieces that I like best.
Third Place: 1 review (comment the link please) and likes on 2 pieces that I like best. 

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for- The winners! 
*drumroll drumroll drumroll*

First place winner is Remember #AStorysNumberLine by Anha
After reading the footnotes I saw that the piece was somewhat inspired by The Curious Incident of The Dog In the Nighttime. I haven't read that book, but after reading this piece, I think I just might,...

Dancing Shoes

Dancing shoes
are a thing of the past,
are they not?

Our grandmothers would dance in them,
get their toes stepped on 
by the cute boy two seats over
when they tried to waltz in Gym class.

Now they sit in the attic,
growing dusty with age
under layers of wrapping paper
and spiderwebs.

One day,
I think I'll take them out,
maybe put them on
and try a step or two
in dancing shoes.

#FlyOfStriped

1. What line from a TV show/movie/book has stuck with you and why? 
There's a lot of them, so I really can't answer this, XD!

2. Which fandom can you talk and theorize over for hours? If you don't have a fandom, why not? 
The Marvel Cinematic Universe or Sherlock!! Love 'em both too much!

3. Who's your favorite singer, and what's your favorite album by them? If you don't have a favorite singer, why not? 
Top 2 favorites are Adele and All Sons and Daughters. Favorite Adele album is 19 (her first and absolute best! Listen to it sometime. :D), and favorite All Sons and Daughters song (not sure about a fave album haha.) is You Have Called Me Higher.

4. Best kind of pizza? If you don't like pizza, why not? 
CHEEEEESE!!! Or Hawaiian!!

5. Favorite color? Why is this your favorite color? 
Gold! I love bright colors.

6. Do you like a certain boy band? If not, why not? 
Never! Because *baaaarf* XD...

#WeAreUnnamed: Alisha, Dahlia

Try and guess who is who =) Two sections were written one after the other about each girl. 

She is the shy one.
Her notebooks are her best friends.
Her writing is secret, hers and hers alone.

She sits alone at school.
Her class strategy is to write.
Her notes are not notes, but stories.

She is the courageous one.
Her family is exhausted by her.
Her mind is just as confused as everyone else.

She laughs aloud at every word.
Her bravery can prove to be a problem later.
Her life is fulfilling.

Early Pearl is Hosting a Contest!!

EDIT: So sorry for the vagueness, haha. I'm not very good at this yet, am I? I've edited it here.

Hey-o writers! I am officially hosting 
my
first
contest!!

You can choose between two prompts which are: Write a series of short chapters that each start with a number (for example: Chapter One, First Day. Chapter Two, Second Life. Etc., etc.) with a word count limit of 1,500 words.

OR

Write a short story that starts with the sentence "It was a perfect day in Insert Month Here, beautiful as could be. But that was also the day that Insert Name Here died." with a word count of 1,000 words.

Oh, and FYI, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE World War II fiction! You will have a better chance of winning if you do that. =)

Due date will be October 15th, and I will announce winners on October 17th. Title your writing either #AStorysNumberLine (for the first prompt) or #BeautifulDayWithADarkSide...

Early Pearl is Hosting a Contest!!

Hey-o writers! I am officially hosting 
my
first
contest!!

You can choose between two prompts which are: Write a series of short chapters that each start with a number (for example: Chapter One, First Day. Chapter Two, Second Life. Etc., etc.) OR write a short story that starts with the sentence "It was a perfect day in Insert Month Here, beautiful as could be. But that was also the day that Insert Name Here died."

Prizes are TBD. I think I'll hold a vote to see what people prefer! Tell me in the comments what you would want the prize to be, and I will choose the one that people seem to want the most. :D

Good luck all! =)

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game? 
Should I ask her? Lynn Thomas thought. She was lying in bed on a Thursday morning before school, wrestling with an idea. “Lynn!” her mother called from downstairs. “Come get breakfast and grab your backpack or you’ll be late for school!” I’ll ask her after school. Lynn decided. She crawled out of bed and rubbed her eyes, then headed downstairs. At the table, she discovered that her mom had made mini chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. “Mom!” Lynn said, happily surprised. “I thought you saved these only for special occasions!” Her mother turned and smiled. “Usually I do.” She answered. “But, just this once, I decided to make them for you, because remember, the day that starts the month before the Game is considered a national holiday, which counts as a special occasion.” Then her smile turned to a frown. “You aren’t dressed yet?” Lynn looked down at her pajama top and...

#AnhaContest

I picked Red Thread for my prompt. =)

This red thread
Sewn in
It reminds me of the life
I had before

This red thread
Among the white
Tells me who I am
The one that remains
when the others fade

This red thread
When the others are gone
Lost forever to me
Lets them live again

This red thread
is the reason
I press on
to let them stay 
to remind me
who to be

#cwcrandomq&a

Q: What TV show did you watch as a kid? 
A: My absolute favorite ever was (and still is, haha) Spongebob Squarepants! Another one, even though it's pretty old, was Full House. We watched a lot of Nickelodeon.

Q: Should pineapple be on pizza? 
A: Um, is this even a question? Yeah!

Q: If there must be a word limit on a prompt/contest, what is your favorite length to write? 
A: I write novels and poems, so for a poetry prompt/contest, it would probably be about 200-400 words. For a novel...my current one is 14,000+ words, so probably like 30K, haha. But we all know that won't happen, will it?

Q: Why is your username the way it is? 
A: Early Pearl is the name of the main character from one of my top 10 favorite books, Hold Fast by Blue Balliet. Thought the name was gorgeous and it's now my screen name everywhere! 

Q: What are your taste in...

On a Mission(s) to Change the World

I was 13 years old and sitting at my desk, drawing. For some odd reason, I was thinking about the future, what I would do, what I would be. Would I be an author, always my plan? Would I visit France and become a mime, something I'd never even considered? Then suddenly a thought struck me: Maybe I should go into missions

I've always wanted to change the world for the better. A missionary changes the world for God. How could I do that? I had always been a PK, a preacher's kid, and also a preacher's grandkid, and growing up, I'd read books about Corrie Ten Boom and Gladys Aylward, famous missionaries in the past. But, leaning on my writing talent for my future career, I'd never really considered following in their footsteps. When I had that thought, I felt called to Africa or Mexico especially. 

For some reason, I felt nervous to tell anyone. But when I...

Inches of Life

I woke up one morning to the sound of very small voices. What on earth is that? I thought. I didn’t have any brothers or sisters, so I knew that couldn’t be it. And birds didn’t sound like PEOPLE. I looked through my bedroom; I’d had a small toy that talked when I was about five. But then I realized: We’d put that in the attic when I turned ten! What could the noise be? I decided to check outside. I looked over our garden, but all I saw there were a couple of butterflies and some aphids that I flicked off my milkweed plants. “Hey!” I head. My head whipped toward the sound. “Where are you? WHAT are you?” I said.

Then I thought of something. “Katelyn, is that you?” My best friend was a great ventriloquist and loved to pull pranks with her talent. “Who’s Katelyn?” the voice said. I glanced over at the tree, prepared to jump...

#cwcbucketprompt

You are a bucket.

What do you mean?

That is you, a bucket.

But why? How?

Because you are.

Oh, come on!

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game? 

Compare and Contrast Prose Poem(s)!

I had to write a compare and contrast essay for school, but my teacher let me write poems instead. :D :D :D I was supposed to compare and contrast a time "when I lived up to someone else's expectations" and a time when "accepted my own identity".
So this is what I wrote! 

POEM #1: Someone’s Else’s Expectations
Sitting on the couch at church
waiting for the cymbal ring
Then Nikki shows up at door
announcing “Zoe, Joely, come with me!”

Reluctantly I follow
knowing this can’t be good
She wasn’t sent to live with us
for simply where she stood.

Back and back, farther we go
through all the basement’s doors
until we finally come upon
what she’s been looking for.

What could this possibly be,
I think, why is this so big
All this trouble, all this hiding
for a stupid bag of chips?

Then I realize what she’s doing
and quickly set it down
“Nikki, these are...

This I Believe

What Do I Believe?

I believe in the hope of heaven,
God smiling down on us,
inviting us to his table
and to his home.

I believe in true love,
eyes meeting
hands touching,
two souls
becoming one.

I believe in craziness,
the ones who share
the fantasies of their souls
and announce their ideas
without a thought.

I believe in somehow changing the world
a thing that comes to mind miraculously
and makes a difference
in the lives
of millions.

I believe.

Where I'm From

I Am From Life

I am from
the stories of my heart
the pencil in my hand
releasing word after word
and explaining
life

I am from
music and sweetness
dancing around the kitchen
with the smell 
of chocolate in the air
and music notes singing
life

I am from
playful evenings
gathered 'round the table
games playing out before our eyes
loudly laughing
life

I am from
quiet afternoons
spent sitting with the dog
stroking ears
and smiling at the looks
she gives me
saying
life.

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game?

Science Fiction Competition 2018

Stultorum Captionem (working title)

CHAPTER ONE: And We’re Off
Where are they?
They’re nearly at the rendezvous point.
How much longer?
It won’t be long now.
And you’re sure they will be coming alone?
Yes. The package will no doubt be slightly nervous and excitable with no chaperones around.
Good. This ensures that the plan will work.
They’ve arrived at the rendezvous point, sir. They’re entering the transport.

“Yes, Mom,” Addison Larone said, grinning good-naturedly. “I have my phone, my ticket to get back, and all my clean underwear.” She laughed. They were standing in the airport in Portland, Oregon with Addison’s friends Lilyanne Murphy and Cady Corisa, plus Cady’s mom, who’d brought them there, and they were leaving for a two week sleepaway camp in California. Over the intercom, a woman said “The flight to Anaheim, California will be leaving in 20 minutes. Please board now as the gate will close in 5 minutes. Thank you.” Addison hung up her phone, where...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

Hiding From Hitler (NaNoWriMo Edition)

Please read the notes at the bottom before the story itself! They explain things you might not understand otherwise.

Chapter One: Ava

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and Levi, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is." The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Abby's face. I...

The Art of Specificity

Gymnast

1) The girl ran and jumped, then flipped in the air and landed on the mat.
2) The girl ran, her long hair flying behind her, then jumped forward and flipped midair, landing on the mat perfectly.
3) The short girl ran, her long, dark hair flying behind her, then leapt forward and executed a perfect mid-air flip. As she came out of the flip, she nailed the landing, her feet solidly landing on the mat.

Prologue

Prologue
I looked at the photo in my hands, printed on the only photo paper in the city. Being one of the top families here, we were some of the very few that could afford it. There were clear skies that day, and we stood in our thick, fluffy scarves, hats and coats on top of the huge boulders in the park, pretending to hold the sun on our shoulders. My little brother was only 5 at the time, still not old enough to avoid the lisp from his missing two front teeth, and I only 11. It was only a week before my tenth birthday. Only a week before the storm that ruined everything.

Why I Write

Writing Because...

I write to explain to the world all the strange things that go on inside my head. I write to get thoughts on paper. I write to prove a point and to make sense of the world. Writing brings together past and present and turns the littlest things into the biggest. 

Answer to Riddle!

As most of you probably know by now, I posted not too long ago a piece called "Riddle!". Here is the answer!

The answer is (drumroll, please!) William! William only bought the one lone cup, so after they all used their cups and they were washed, William had all of his cups, whereas everyone else only had some of them. 

Congratulations to all of you who guessed correctly, and for those of you who guessed Angela, I apologize, I made a typo and gave her the wrong number of cups in the cabinet.

Ask Michael

Quick Question

How long does it usually take to finish a novel and get it published?

Desk

Off-white now 
from months of use 
with all manner of stuff
that cannot seem
to be cleared
piled upon it

A staple stuck into one end 
from a young one 
who couldn't think through
what he was doing

A whiteboard on the wall
surrounding by tacked-up papers
and with a face scribbled on it
in cartoon fashion
by one who couldn't draw

In the cabinet a notebook
or three
along with a book of poems
and a scrapbooking kit

In the drawer
a pile of pencils and pens
mixed with some erasers
sticky notes and a ruler

Beside it a chair
shiny white
with gaps in the back
and decorative holes in the seat
giving it an industrial glow

All this sitting on a shiny wood floor
stained in a dark brown
desperately needing swept
and cleared of things

All this surrounded by 3 more desks
one needing cleaned
another somewhat organized
and the last as messy as the first
...

Riddle!

I have had this made-up riddle bouncing around in my head for a while, so here it is!

4 children go to a fair and each buy a set of hand-painted cups. The first child, Angela, buys a set of 2. The second child, Jack, buys a set of 4. Lillian, the third child, buys 3. And the last child, William, buys only a single cup. Each child agrees that they will keep them at one house, in one cabinet. The next time they get together for homework, each of them uses one of their hand-painted cups. After Jack, William, and Lillian leave, the amount of cups that can fit in their dishwasher are washed. When it is emptied, Angela has 2 cups in the cabinet, Jack has 3, Lillian has 2, and William has his one cup. Who has the most cups in the cabinet?

Can you solve it? I will post the answer in another piece later, once...

Lera, Princess of Nial

Princess. A word usually used to describe someone dressed in frilly cloths and a crown. Not me. I travel the lands with my father, the King. I claim it for my kingdom. I don't speak perfectly, and I don't act like I just graduated from an etiquette school. I am envied by every other princess in the world. I fight, and I won't hesitate in the most unimaginable of situations. I've hung on the edge of a cliff and out-swam a jellyfish in the Great Barrier Reef. I am fearless. I am daughter of the King. I am Lera, Princess of Nial.

Sweet Dreams, My Child

As night draws near,
the moon comes out,
cicadas begin to sing,
and stars glitter in the sky.

In every house on the block,
showers and baths are taken,
bedtime stories are read,
children are tucked in.

I bid you farewell,
sweet dreams,
until morning,
my child.

The Boy With Cardboard Socks

There once was man with cardboard socks,
and he lived inside a box,
and the box was inside of a cardboard house,
and inside the house was a little white cardboard mouse.

With his cardboard socks, in his cardboard bedroom,
he had a pair of cardboard rain boots,
which he put on over his cardboard socks,
and then he went out for a rainy day walk.

On his rainy day walk, he stomped in some cardboard puddles,
but he got some mud on his cardboard rain boots, and felt a little bit muddled,
so he stomped in another cardboard puddle to clean them off,
and after he did, he went on his way to talk to his neighbor, who was named Roff.

"How do you do?" his neighbor Roff asked him, as he walked by in his cardboard rain boots,
"I am doing very well," the man with cardboard socks said to his neighbor Roff,
"except that I and everything...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and Levi, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Abby's face. I grabbed Eve's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Beyond Reason

Why Do They Call...?

Why do they call bees, Bees, and not Efs* or Pes**?
Why do they call failure a bad thing, when it helps you be your best?
Why do they call a hand to hold just a want, when it is really a need?
Why do they call a house a home without a family to put it to the test?

Why do they call a dog man's best friend when it can be a girl's best friend too?
Why do they call differences a bad thing, when they help you be unique?
Why do they call children irresponsible, when they have just learned to take care?
Why do they call rainstorms a sad thing, when the heavens are crying with joy?

Why do they call it Mother Nature when it could just as well be Father Nature?
Why do they call mistakes horrible, when they help you learn your lesson?
Why do they call walls a barrier, when they keep...

Lexical Catharsis

The Most Cliches I've Ever Used in My Life

It was a perfect day, gorgeous and sunny, without a single cloud in the gorgeous, azure sky. Bluebirds chirped, little animals abounded, and-- Oh, get on with it? Okay. Despite all this beauty, the princess sat in her tower and wept, dreaming about the prince she wished would come and save her, and wishing the witch who imprisoned her would fall out of her one, small window. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going, she thought. I've got to figure out a way to pull the wool over her eyes. Suddenly there was a loud thump outside her window, and she ran to see what it was. A man was sitting on the ground, saying to himself, "Ouch! That's got to be the tallest tower I've ever seen!" Oh, my handsome prince has finally come for me! the princess thought. "Here! A rope to climb up!" she called, and threw one end out the window. He climbed, and...

Slow Seeing

Storm

Clouds gather as if for a meeting,
and the air begins to chill and darken.

Drops begin to fall like tears from the heavens,
eventually escalating to an ocean 
as if the bottom fell out of the Atlantic.

Winds rush, branches bend, lights go out, 
as the world takes in the awesome sight 
of the waters rising.

As the winds and the heavens rest,
the ocean calms, and the clouds begin to fade,
the sun returns, and all is calm.

The world, sprinkled with dew, sparkles as 
sunlight dances on leaves and jewels of water 
shimmer as a diamond does.

Flash Fiction Competition 2017

The Strange Beauty of Total Darkness

We were excited as anything. The first total solar eclipse across America in a century. Hardly able to concentrate on schoolwork, I barely passed my math quiz. Would it rain? There were clouds in the sky.  *We made eclipse viewers and headed outside for testing. I was incredibly nervous about accidentally looking at the sun and getting permanent eye damage. But when the 48 seconds of totality started after 2 hours, and we looked for the sun in the boxes, nothing was there! All we could see was clouds. By the time we came to that conclusion, the totality was fading. But, although we never got a glimpse, we'd had an experience we would never forget.

Hiding From Hitler

Writing Small

Lighting Stories

"Grandpa!" we called as he came through our front door on Christmas Eve. "Tell us a story!" "Yeah!" my brother called. "The Night Before Christmas!" Grandpa sat with a grin by the fireplace. He struck a matchstick to light the fire. "Okay, okay." he said. "'Twas the night before Christmas..." 

Writing Small

Lighting Stories

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

In the very heart of New York, New York, an experiment was being conducted. The biggest experiment in history. And this experiment was led by the brilliant Jared Peterson, the most well known scientist since Albert Einstein and founder of J.P. Inc. What, you ask, is this wonderful, amazing experiment led by the infamous Jared Peterson? This experiment was the creation of the LIFE CHIP. The Life Chip was a small chip that brought any inanimate object of the same...

Two Hundred Years Ago

It Still Isn't the Same

Ever since Father came back from the war, life hasn't been the same. Having Mother wake up extra early to help Father get dressed and eat breakfast. Having to watch Father struggle to pick up a book and read, and having to deal with the nervous stares of the rest of the town as we walk through to go to church or school. One day we were walking through the cobblestone streets to the store for cabbage. Father had tripped on a stone, and the rude boys of our Kansas City neighborhood laughed and pointed.

I remember the day he was drafted like it was yesterday: he came home with a grim look on his face after stopping by the post office on the way home from work.  He brought Mother into the parlor in private, where us kids couldn't hear him. Later that evening, after a nearly silent dinner full of worry at Father's news, we sat in the...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and Lucas, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Juno, The Wandering Oaf

Foreword
So, since none of you have met Juno, she is the oafliest dog you will ever meet. But despite her oaflieness, she also loves to wander the neighborhood (without permission, I might add), thus giving this story its name. This is a story of her life from her viewpoint from the time I met her. Bella is the dog we had before we got her. Roger, Juno's owner, moved and couldn't keep her, so we "traded" dogs. She obviously does not think she is a dog, she thinks she's a person. I wasn't able to do another Creature View piece, so I did it on free writing. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for reading!                  ...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and , were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Second Chance

This is a poem by my younger sister, Joely. She doesn't have an account yet, but she will get one when she's old enough. Here it is:

My life is a leaf;
Your life is a stone.
Your heart is hard;
but mine is soft.
That's why I gave you
a second chance.

By Joely Skaggs, age 9
Pretty good for a nine year old!

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2017

Melody

Melody
Notes soaring through the air,
joining to create a song. 
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like the staccato
of raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Rising like a
sapling's crescendo
as it grows
tall and strong.
Melody
Making its voice known
through the majesty of 
a mountain or the beauty
of a snowflake.
Melody
Blooming like a flower,
notes unfolding
like a rose's petals.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2017

Melody

Melody
Notes flying through the air,
joining to create a song. 
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Rising like a sapling
grows tall and strong.
Melody
Cutting gently through the silence like a knife through butter.
Melody
Blooming like a flower, notes unfolding like a rose's petals.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.

Hiding From Hitler

Juno, The Wandering Oaf

Foreword
So, since none of you have met Juno, she is the oafliest dog you will ever meet. But despite her oaflieness, she also loves to wander the neighborhood (without permission, I might add), thus giving this story its name. This is a story of her life from the time I met her. Bella is the dog we had before we got her. Roger, Juno's owner, moved and couldn't keep her, so we "traded" dogs. She obviously does not think she is a dog, she thinks she's a person. I wasn't able to do another Creature View piece, so I did it on free writing. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for reading!                        ...

Juno, The Wandering Oaf

Foreword
So, since none of you have met Juno, she is the oafliest dog you will ever meet. But despite her oaflieness, she also loves to wander the neighborhood (without permission, I might add), this giving this story its name. This is a story of her life from the time I met her. She obviously does not think she is a dog, she thinks she's a person. I wasn't able to do another Creature View piece, so I did it on free writing. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for reading!
                                                                   ...

Melody

Melody
Notes flying through the air,
joining to create a song. 
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.

Beyond Reason

Why Do They Call...?

Why do they call fear a bad thing, when it helps you be your best?

Why do they call 

Why do they call
Why do they call
Why do they call

Why do they call
Why do they call
Why do they call
Why do they call

Creature View

Take Cover!

The goose flies above the open field, surrounded by its family. Suddenly a shot rings out. Take cover! The geese lose all control over their "V" formation as bullets fly through the air.
The goose flies away from its family, but is followed by its sister. He leads her to a small pond he sometimes flies to when he is bored. Their remain there in hiding, until eventually their mother flies to them and leads them home. 

Creature View

Take Cover!

Writing Synapses

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE
Share at least one event from each year of your life up to and including this year!

Year 1: Birth. My cousin Rebekah came over almost every day to play with me. I also learned to "babble", or speak baby talk.
Year 2: My younger brother Liam was born, and I started to walk and become more efficient at speaking.
Year 3: My brother and I would run around the couch at our house in Springfield, Missouri, in our diapers every day for fun.
Year 4: We moved into my great-grandma's house to help take care of her.
Year 5: I started school. Me and all three of my siblings have been homeschooled, and Liam, who I'm a year and a half older than, started school a year earlier than he usually would, and neither of us took preschool, making us both currently in 8th grade.
Year 6: I had a mermaid themed birthday party...

Writing Synapses

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE

Year 5: I started school. Me and all three of my siblings have been homeschooled, and Liam, who I'm a year and a half older than, started school a year earlier than he usually would, making us both currently in 8th grade.
Year 6: I had a mermaid themed birthday party at Splash Cove. I don't know...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and Joely grabbed Isaiah's, and we went as quietly as possible to the hallway next to the living room....

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a card game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and Joely grabbed Isaiah's, and we went as quietly as possible to the hallway next to the living...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a card game called "Gubs" and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our parents were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and Joely grabbed Isaiah's, and we went as quietly as possible to the hallway next to...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Get Rid of Puppy Mills-Adopt From Shelters!

Over 10,000 of the dogs you see in pet stores every day come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are backyard breeders who breed dogs for profit in cramped, dirty conditions with little food or water. Because the mothers are kept in these conditions, the puppies are born with serious medical conditions such as deafness, heart and kidney diseases, and respiratory disorders. These poor dogs are sold at only 7 or 8 weeks old, 4 weeks before they should be separated from their mothers. These puppy mills should be outlawed, especial in Missouri and Illinois, which are some of the biggest puppy mill states, the dogs should be rescued and brought back to health, and be placed in loving homes where they will be treated well.

The dogs in puppy mills are commonly kept in wire cages, which sometimes are stacked on top of each other. The cages injure the feet of the dogs, and when they are not kept in wire...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Over 10,000 of the dogs you see in pet stores every day come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are backyard breeders who breed dogs for profit in cramped, dirty conditions with little food or water. Due to the poor conditions of the mothers, the puppies are born with serious medical conditions such as deafness, heart and kidney diseases, and respiratory disorders. These puppies are sold at only 7 or 8 weeks old, 4 weeks before they should be separated from their mothers. These puppy mills should be outlawed, the dogs rescued and brought back to health, and placed in loving homes where they will be treated well.

The dogs in puppy mills are kept in wire cages, sometimes stacked on top of each other. The cages injure the feet of the dogs, and when a dog is too weak, injured, or old to reproduce, the dog is put down. Shelters, on the other hand, are usually no-kill, keep the dogs...

Ice+Storm=Ice Storm

Ice
Water pouring forth from sink or sky
Droplets falling into molds or potholes
Then freezing as the cold sets in.
Storm
Clouds in the darkest shade of gray
rolling in and releasing a raging sea of water
in all different forms, causing gutters to
overflow and filling every hole.
Ice Storm
Freezing rain exploding from angry clouds
pelting and chilling all it touches,
creating a caul of frozen water
on everything in sight.

Untitled

A pen glides forth and
                                                                   releases the thoughts of the
                                                                             writer. In art or
                                                                      in writing, anger or joy, ...

Self Portrait in Words

She sits by the window, reading a book. She wears a short blue dress, a Christmas gift from her aunt. Her long hair, the color of milk chocolate with faint dark caramel highlights, is swept back into a messy bun. She is shorter than most girls her age, so wears shoes with heels to raise her height a little. Her glasses, though she likes the pink and gold bow tie design, are her least favorite feature. Then she stands, an idea having come to her mind, and walks away.

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Starting As Seeds

Starting as seeds, working their way through the earth
Baby roots grow, sucking moisture from the ground
And finally sprouting when they learn the worth
Of finding the sun’s warmth where no clouds are found,
For small leaves to appear from the place of birth.
From two small seeds they grow without one sound,
Blooming pink and yellow, they please all who see
The lovely blossoms cause all to smile with glee.

Melody

Melody
Notes flying through the air,
joining to create a song.
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.