Pencils.and.paper.roses

pencils.and.paper.roses

Writer
NERD
Baker
HUGE Marvel fan
Hopeless romantic
Grade 10
The Lumineers
Kodaline
Bird lover
Fascinated by British people and culture
Love M. Night Shyamalan movies
In love with
James McAvoy
&
Rami Malek
❤️

"Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go." - E.L. Doctorow

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there's footprints on the moon." - Paul Brandt

"First name Mr, Second name Glass." - Mr. Glass/Elijah Price, Glass

"I. Am. Iron Man." - Tony Stark, Avengers: Endgame

"There is a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just ANY box of Twinkies. The last box of Twinkies that anyone in the whole universe will enjoy." - Tallahassee, Zombieland

" Every single person in the world is interesting - they're a walking story." - James McAvoy

My blog:
https://weirdowhowritesblog.wordpress.com/

Three Little Words

My name is Maya Holland, and at the ripe old age of 16 years old, I’ve finally found a best friend.

We met at Comic-con, actually. He was dressed as Captain America, I as Princess Leia. We knew and loved each other’s characters, but disagreed on a few things. 

But the thing that really sealed the deal was when he said just one thing. 

He’d been trying to start a debate, actually. But I’d been waiting my whole life to hear those three little words:

”Han shot first.”

Fantasy Writing Competition

Dream Whispers

"Goodnight, honey."

"'Night, mom."

I slip under my covers and switch the lights off, then check the clock. 9:47. Perfect timing! I am needed by 10:00. Burrowing further under the covers, I pull my shirt sleeve up to my elbow. Yep, it's glowing.

I rub the mark a bit, and the glow intensifies. The entire underside of my blanket looks bright as day now, and it begins to fade from my view. I glance at the clock again. Has it seriously already been 5 minutes? ugh, I'll have to hurry. I rub the mark one more time, then draw a circle around it with my pinkie and the world around me disappears. 

I've reached my destination. 

My pajamas have changed into a flowing, sleeveless dress the color of the moon on water, shimmering silver. My hair is no longer pulled back into its simple ponytail; now it is long and flowing, curls aflame with copper and gold. 

I look around...

Water Body

I swim in the sky

I swim in the night sky
veiled by filmy clouds and stardust 

I float among the stars 
as angels whisper melodies to me

I dream of lights
while owls sings their young to sleep

And as eyes close and the diamonds in the sky rise
I watch the world below 

Love will squeeze your heart and cry with you

Love is a curious thing, is it not?

It can sneak up on you, shove you off of life's cliff and into the waters of That One Person

When you try to ignore it, it just goes on and on until you listen. 

Love might try and ease you in, but ultimately it will probably fail. Easing isn't its area of expertise. 

No, Love is an expert at falling, at tripping you as you walk down the hallway and getting you to land precisely in That One Person's arms. 

Love is an expert at making you go wild when you're stuck in the Friend Zone, at making you flirt badly when their parents aren't around. 

And if That One Person leaves you, Love will squeeze your heart to relieve its own sorrow at having failed. Though you never see it, it will cry with you. 

Yes, Love...

Running (story idea. Thoughts?)

A sister 
and a brother
running
running

Money gone
life lost
running
running

The town of Amber
the destination
will it save them?
running
running

Family in distress
off to Amber to reassess
running
running

#paperbirdq&a

I was looking through all my old pieces and saw this and discovered that some of my answers have changed! So I’m redoing it. :D

what's the story behind your profile picture?  

Right now it’s just the peer-review-athon pic XD so I can’t really answer this one. 

when you start a "free writing" piece, do you like the font better when it's the editing font or the published font?  

Published.

what movie scarred you for life as a child?  does it still freak you out?  

Not because it was scary, but the sheer insanity of it - Austin Powers. 

look up "horoscope personalities."  which one fits you?  

my actual sign, cancer. 

do you consider yourself to a good writer? (be honest)  

Yes, usually. But I’m kind of doubtful as to my novel-writing skills right now. I think I do too much tell and not enough show. 

what's one popular franchise you think is downright bad?  

Well, there’s Pokémon,...

sirens

I can’t see it
I can only hear it 
surging through the air
like an electrical current 
released from its wire 

sirens
sirens singing
a piercing shriek
as they rush to death 
and part the waters
through fear of the future

death is imminent
death holds on 
and strokes you with firey breath
ensuring that your own breath
ceases

Q&A me!

Looks like the q&a trend is coming back around, this time thanks to bride124!

So go ahead, ask me anything. :D I’ll answer them all on or a few days before June 1st! Please steer clear of any personal questions though. :)

PLEASE REVIEW

ADMISSIONS ESSAY

Film has been important to me for almost as long as I can remember. From a very young age, I can remember watching movies and TV shows with my parents regularly. Sometimes I would pretend that the characters were my friends. As I got older, I grew out of my imaginary friends, but not the movies. My interests shifted from Dora the Explorer and Elmo’s World to Marvel Studios. I began to recognize certain actors and remember movies I’d seen them in, which was absolutely mind-blowing to a middle school girl.
      In 9th grade, I created a spoof of a nature documentary entitled Joely is The Beast, starring my younger sister. I have to admit that it was awful: our only available camera was my low-quality computer webcam, our only set was the living room, and I was not the best at editing. But it was my first time creating a...

Angels taking pictures

Lightning 
is just angels
taking pictures
of the tiny humans 
down on earth

Normal (revised)

Is there really such a thing as normal?

Is normal being a straight-F student? Is it being someone who gets perfect A's? Maybe it's someone who's always right on time, or maybe a kid who's always late. Is it someone who's homeschooled?

Is normal being the rich kid who posts selfies on Instagram every day to keep people updated on their life? Is it being the one who lives in a 3 bedroom house and doesn't use social media? Is a normal person someone who just has a small group of friends, but is happy nonetheless? Could it be having everyone in school admire you?

Or is normal being the kid who sits alone at lunch? Is it being the one who gets shoved into lockers and called a nerd? Perhaps it's getting F's on the tests that matter because his dad was out of a job, he had to work and didn't have time to study. Is it being...

0-9

Every teardrop holds a memory, my darling #GrowingInMay

1 teardrop is too many
for a person formerly happy,
my darling
and if it falls
a memory falls with it.

2 memories of me per tear
lost every day
so do tell, my darling
why do you cry
and forget me so?

3 days are past 
and the funeral is done
please, my darling,
do not weep
and lose me forever.

4 times an angel has faded
because a tear fell and memories with it
remember, my darling,
every teardrop holds a memory
so use them sparingly.

0-9

1 teardrop is too many
for a person formerly happy,
my darling
and if it falls
a memory falls with it.

2 memories of me per tear
lost every day
so do tell, my darling
why do you cry
and forget me so?

3 days are past 
and the funeral is done
please, my darling,
do not weep
and lose me forever.

4 times an angel has faded
remember, my darling,
every teardrop holds a memory
so use them sparingly.

The Lightning

it was always the lightning
that captivated her,

eyes shining
and light flashing

at night she'd watch it 
till she fell asleep

and even after that
it would penetrate
her dreams

if during the day
a storm raged
the outdoors were her domain

years later
all grown up
she studied it

until she knew 
all there was to know

it was her beginning
but also her end

The World

The world 
is going faster
than I am

and I am afraid 
I may 
get stranded

Predictions

I’m well 

But that was the night 
you got rescued 
from a great piece of art 

And it was the best day 
for y’all to come to the school 
of art 
in this book 

it is really good 
for a while
but I gotta go

I can be very hard 
to get rid of 
but it was really well done 
to me 

Algebra

1 + 1 = 2
3 x 4 = 12
But what is x - 7?

numbers in disguise
are filling the pages of my notebook
flooding my vision
and my head

I thought I knew
all there was to know
about those tricky little creatures
called numbers

but I guess I don't
and now I'm confused

ax^2 + bx + c = 0
a positive discriminant means 2 solutions
but what is y?

pages, pages
of notes
couldn't decode the language
of algebra
even if it were to save a life

I'll just graph a circle
and call it a parabola

Complete the square
find the vertex
untangle the web

Isn't that geometry
or am I going crazy
trying to explain
a skill I do not need
ever

I am going to be a filmmaker
not a mathematician 
for heaven's sake

Jumping

He’s standing on the edge 
nearly falling off
surrounded by others

”Don’t do it!”
I cry, horrified 

but he does it anyway 
and takes the leap
from one conclusion 
to the next 

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

White Kite

I remove it from its shelf
unroll the string
soon to be wet from my tears

it's a tradition now
one only my family does
when someone is gone

now she's gone
and I've been chosen

so I unroll the string 
and take it outside
while my family looks on
sad
but at peace

now I unfurl it
the white kite used
for a send-off
a final goodbye
to the lost
as they pass 
to 
another
life

A Sky Full Of Stars

There's a sky
full of stars
in front of me

we see them
every night
and sometimes during the day 
as well

Some have been there
for ages
long enough
that our ancestors saw them

then there's the new ones
the ones
that suddenly burst
into existance
without warning

and as I sit here 
staring up 
at the sky full of stars
in front of me

I wonder
if I'll ever
be one of them

Chapter One: 3...2...1

12 MONTHS BEFORE

“3...2...1...Happy New Year!” 

The crowd cheered, and the ball dropped. No one knew why it gave the world such a thrill to watch. 

But it it was especially thrilling for Janae, 10-year old Janae who had never seen a New Year’s without being surrounded by darkness before. 

And it was she who would remember it the best. 

10 MONTHS BEFORE

“3...2...1...and time.”

Back in the darkness again, Janae was. Not allowed in the light for an indeterminate amount of time. A single tear rolled down her face as the light under the bottom of the door went out, leaving her to reacquaint her eyes with the dark. 

She recalled the ball drop of two months ago on New Year’s and willed herself to forget it. It was something she was sure she would never again experience.

8 MONTHS BEFORE

“3...2...1...”

She counted down the seconds before she could see the light again. Her hand rested eagerly on...

Brief Rant

Almost every one of my friends are younger or older than I am. They’re all 11 or 17 or little kids. None of them are my own age.

But you know why I hardly have any friends my age?

It’s because I’m a socially anxious INFP personality type who’s also a teen writer. I have no other hobbies (literally). I have almost zero interest in things like shopping or drama (the drama of everyone else’s life). I cannot talk out loud, only on paper.

I don’t go to a brick-and-mortar school, I go to a virtual school and have barely set foot in an actual school building my whole life. Therefore, I don’t really have any opportunities to talk to people my own age anyway.

So please, stop telling me to talk to people, to go start a conversation or stop being “shy”.  Stop telling me to just get over it; I’ll...

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2019

White Kite

I remove it from its shelf
unroll the string
soon to be wet from my tears.

it's a tradition now
one only my family does
when someone is gone. 

now she's gone
and I've been chosen.

so I unroll the string 
and take it outside
while my family looks on
sad
but at peace

now I unfurl it
the white kite used
for a send-off
a final goodbye
to the lost
as they pass 
to 
another
life

The Raindrops: Part One (A Parody of The Raven)

Once upon a 10 PM dreary, as I toiled, weak and weary, 
over many a quaint and curious volume of unwritten lore
     While I nodded, deftly typing, suddenly there came a tapping,
as of raindrops roughly rapping, rapping at my window's ore.
"'Tis some little storm," I whispered. "Tapping at my window's ore,"
           "Only this, and nothing more."

#weirdo'sQ&A

1. What's the weirdest conversation you've had with yourself? 

I tend to have a lot of weird conversation with myself, ranging from accepting an award (as rosemarywisdom said XD) to trying to explain to my parents why some dumb thing happened. XD

2. What's the most ridiculous story concept you've come up with, that somehow worked? 

When I was much, much younger, I wrote a story about vaccums that took over the world. I did a total rewrite and plot rework when I was 13, and it worked. I didn't finish, but it made so much more sense that time. 

3. What's your unusual pet peeve? 

I have too many to list. XD

4. What's a trait that you love to see in people? 

Comedy! And if they're also a fellow NerdGeek™, that's a plus. :P

5. Which of the six Infinity Stones would you like to harness the power of (if you were a being powerful enough to)? 

I think...

Dream Whispers: Chapter Three: Idola

“No speaking, Aislin,” I say in a hushed voice. “We can’t risk disturbing her.”

I’ve been assigned to take Aislin, who just came into the knowledge of her dreamship last week, on her first Imbuement. So far it’s not going very well. This house is one I’ve been told never to go to. But the mark is the one that decides where we go and this is where it brought us, so this is where we shall go.

The child in the crib stirs, and I shiver, hesitantly taking Aislin closer. She appears very excited, no doubt thinking this is just like any other Imbuement. But she could not be further from the truth.

We’ve reached the crib now, and my heartbeat is rising. I’ve never been this close before. “Watch now,” I say. “I can only do this once.” She nods, and I begin. I gently touch the child’s forehead, and though she moves and I shiver again, she...

Dream Whispers: Chapter Two: Aislin

It’s 10:00, the last dream, Beatrix, has arrived, and it’s time to go out. My first Imbuement! How will it go? Will I do well?

The mark on my shoulder had always been there, but it was simply a birthmark to me and my family. But one day, I was home sick from school. Chicken pox, I think. I’d reached over to scratch it and ended up…here! I was a dream, a lovely sweet dream for a baby. It was funny that my parents named me Aislin, meaning “dream”.

I’m the youngest, however. At only 8 years old, I stand shorter than nearly everyone else. The only exception is a boy who never grew much taller than a big dog. I feel sorry for him, but he can’t help it.

“Come on, Aislin,” someone else says. “It’s time to go.” Because of my age, I’ve been placed with an older dream named Idola. She’s got light blue hair, and she’s...

Say What? No. 4

“You look like you’re trying to...seduce the window!” (My shirt sleeve slipped down a little and my sister thought it looked weird. XD 

“You guys have periods on your faces! One, two, thray...” (my sister on my freckles XD)

”Paint your faces on the raaake...” (misheard lyrics of “Masquerade” from Phantom of the Opera)

”How did you get your butt in the air?” (My dad. Long story. XD)

”I summon the horde!” (My brother, calling the rest of us for lunch)

“And then he slaps the bird!”
       “That was a cat, stupid.” (My siblibgs telling something about a video VERY expressively)

”Why are you sending someone Five?” (I’m modeling a character after Aiden Ghallager, who plays Five Hargreeves in Umbrella Academy. My brother saw my character profile with a picture, and he was quite confused XD)

”ow, your bacon fat is hurting me!” (Me. No explanation. XD)

Broken Things

I spy an old candle
in an antique shop
layered with dust and age

its color is now dark, but it’s lit everything

I spy a pair of 60’s baby shoes
on someone’s wall
bronzed
and never to be worn again 

they’re now unusable, but they were used for everything 

I spy an old woman 
sitting in the corner
wild hair, wild eyes
and ridiculed by her town

she’s now broken, but she’s fixed everything 

A Million Shadows

walk along,
walk along
a New York street some afternoon
and see the sights
the signs
the people
the ones you'll never know

look across,
look across
to the other side of the street
and see the lives
little kids
grown men
standing under streetlamps smiling

stand within,
stand within
the crowd that crosses daily
and see their eyes
their minds
a million shadows passing by
unknown

Peace

I love those times when I (an ambivert) can just sit and write.

I can have my weird enigma of show tunes, rap, and Kodaline blasting, and there's no one around.

It's just me, the music, and my words.

Peace.

Those Days

You know what I live for?

I’ll be in the kitchen, just making up a sandwich or something for lunch, when my brother wanders in to make his own food. 

While we’re cooking or microwaving or whatever we need to do, we just chat. 

We’ll talk about school (because we’re both worried about the next science test)

and whether or not we can eat the shredded mozzarella cheese in the fridge by the handful (because we’re strange people)

and how the writer-directors of scary movies often look like (and probably are) sweet, innocent nerds but are then capable of creating these terrifying masterpieces that give nightmares for a week (and probably watch the trailer for the next one). 

We’ll think nothing of it, but it’ll be the brightest part of our day. 

That’s what I live for. 

An Anthology

All credit to Quille and Paperbird for the original idea to do this!

so, I’m going to publish (actually publish, I hope, through self-publishing) an anthology of poems. So far, the list has: 

Do Not Pull This Tiny Beauty #WOTW11

Can You Tell? (Reformatted)

To The Boy In The Empty Room

Click (subject to removal)

Shards of Ink On The Page #wackywordschallenge

Normal (with editing)

Passing Time

Chapter Twelve: The Game

“Yeah, I don’t know what happened yesterday,” Albany laughed. She’d missed dinner and Lynn and Cassidy hadn’t seen her afterward, so they met again at breakfast the next day.

“Well, I won’t keep asking,” Cassidy responded. “But that was weird, man! You were acting like you were...brain-wiped or something.”

“You were,” Lynn admitted.

Albany shrugged and took a bite of her cereal. “Who knows?”
………………
They all went to their sessions after breakfast. This time Rush came first for Lynn, where she was doing Levels Two and Three. She passed Level Two easily, only falling once the first time by slipping in sand and managing to pass without falling her second time.

Level Three was a bit harder. She was in a full simulation this time, and she couldn’t see the crowd around her. The platforms were slanted here, and there were far more turns than there had been in the first two levels.

“Okay, careful…” she readied herself...

A Piece

On one side, there was the group of more than 40 kids. On the other side, there were Umbra members coming toward them fast. Ayla and Jace were stuck in the middle, and they didn’t know what to do. “Ayla, you have to go. Go now,” Jake told her.

“No! You have to come with me or they’ll catch you!”

“I’ll be fine, okay? Just go. Take them and get out.”

“Jake…” Ayla pleaded. She was desperate. Tears were rolling down her face, and the Umbra people were getting closer and closer.

Jake shook his head, knowing there wasn’t time.

“It’ll be okay,” he whispered, blinking back the tears in his own eyes. “It’ll be okay.”

Then he took Ayla’s face in his hands and kissed her gently.

Ayla froze, knowing that the Umbra people were coming dangerously close but not wanting to break away. Her and Jake’s relationship (or lack thereof) had confused Ayla ever since they met at...

STORY IDEA, ANY THOUGHTS

In two hours, our entire world will go dark.

No power, no sunlight.

Absolutely nothing. 

No one knows why.

Nobody except me.

The World Is Quiet Here

The sun has set, 
its bright light
gone to illuminate
those down under. 

The moon has risen,
its soft glow 
here to spin
lovely nights for all. 

Somewhere, sometime
a mother and a child
lay sweetly under covers
with a tale to fill dreams with. 

And elsewhere,
a family rests
with one thought only:
The world is quiet here

Problems, Like A Storm

Problems,
like a storm 
dark and looming,
and hope stillborn 

Lost and dying,
all humanity crying
with joy to be seen
nevermore

Closer this storm comes
shared desperate looks,
no twiddled thumbs
as nearer, stronger
it becomes

Finally the clouds shatter 
problems no longer imminent
while smaller raindrops smatter
on individuals and crack 
the last bits of faith 

Now
look into the glassy eyes 
of a rain-drenched people
and tell me we prosper. 

Dream Whispers, Chapter One: Beatrix #ghostlycontest

"Goodnight, honey."

"'Night, mom."

I've reached my destination. 

I look around...

Chapter Eleven: The Game

Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Eight: The Game  

Chapter Nine: The Game (Mini Chapter) 

Chapter Ten: The Game

“Do you think we should go check her dorm and see if she’s still mad?” Cassidy asked Lynn. They were flopped on their respective beds in their dorm, and they’d been there for the last hour. Cassidy had had an afternoon session for her second game, Escape Artists, so Lynn had sat in their dorm and written a letter to her mom detailing what had happened so far and apologizing (again) for entering without permission until 2:00.

“We might as well,” Lynn responded. She sat up and leaned against the wall. “Do you think she still will be?”

“I don’t know,” Cassidy admitted. “I hope not.”

They stood up and left the room, heading down the corridor to where Albany’s dorm was. It was a good distance away, so Lynn contemplated the situation on the way there. Was...

Chapter Ten: The Game

Oops, I forgot to include these XD Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Seven: The Game  

Chapter Eight: The Game 

Chapter Nine: The Game (Mini Chapter)

Lynn entered Rush and immediately noticed the enormity of the room. It was bigger even than Flame Evasion, which had been the biggest room Lynn had seen yet.

There were two rows of large platforms, each covered in substances ranging from dirt to sand to rock and water. At the first platform, there was a yellow line. A boy stepped over it and instantly zipped forward in a burst of speed.

“Whoa,” Lynn thought aloud. “I guess that’s why they call it Rush.”

“Ya think?” A voice said next to her. Lynn instantly stiffened. Ross. Had he seriously signed up for Rush too? She shook her head in disbelief and turned to listen to their instructions.

Rush was pretty straightforward. The contestant would start on the first platform and step...

Chapter Ten: The Game

Rush was pretty straightforward. The contestant would start on the first platform and step over the yellow line, which would enable them with a rush— hence the name— of speed. They would then use the burst of speed to parkour their way to...

"Goodnight, honey."

"'Night, mom."

I've reached my destination. 

I look around...

"Goodnight, honey."

"'Night, mom."

I've reached my destination. 

I look around...

Chapter Nine: The Game (Mini Chapter)

Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Six: The Game  

Chapter Seven: The Game 

Chapter Eight: The Game

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Lynn turned around slowly and leaned on the wall, astonished. They were supposed to be part of the unexplainable testing? Why?

She and Cassidy had been the ones to stumble into the room at first. But they hadn’t been noticed, as far as Lynn knew. So why them?

Then there was Albany, who had competed in the Game, but not won. Was that part of it? But…Cassidy and Lynn hadn’t competed before. So why pick them?

And who was Robin Jores? Lynn couldn’t put a name to a face, another confusing point. The people had said she was in Water Evasion though…maybe Lynn had seen her earlier in the day, and she just hadn’t known her.

Her group was getting far ahead of where she was, and she didn’t want to get left behind, so she shoved the...

Chapter Nine: The Game (Mini Chapter)

Her group was getting far ahead of where she was, and she didn’t want to get left behind, so she shoved the thoughts to the back of her mind and hurried forward to catch up with the rest of the Rush competitors.

Chapter Eight: The Game

Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Five: The Game  

Chapter Six: The Game 

Chapter Seven: The Game

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sure enough, the levels did get harder. More obstacles were added, such as red water that they called lava. There were large walls they had to work together to get past, as well as underwater tunnels to swim through in order to reach some buttons.

Lynn hadn’t quite mastered it by the time the session ended, but she did succeed in only falling into the water one time on a level. And when she faded back into the box room, Albany applauded her with a grin.

“Nice job, Lynn,” Cara told her. “That’s a great time for your first attempt.” She clicked a button on a small remote. As she did so, Ross and two other kids appeared in front of Lynn. One was soaking wet, and all three of them looked surprised.

“What just—“ the dripping girl started....

All We Ever Knew: Prologue

“Are you serious?”

“Dead serious. Mr. Renner said we’ll get to pick four experiments to do next month.”

“That’s fantastic! Maybe I’ll be able to finish the project I’ve been doing all month.”

“What’s your project again?” Kyle’s friend McKenna asked, shoving her hair out of her face.

Kyle raised an eyebrow. “You don’t remember? I’m trying to figure out why people and, you know, Jacob’s hairbrush…are disappearing.”

McKenna rolled her eyes. “That’s right,” she rubbed her forehead exasperatedly. “Jacob’s hairbrush. That boy needs to cut it out already.”

Kyle nodded. He pulled out a notebook and flipped through its pages. “I’ve got 3 theories so far, but I haven’t gotten to test them yet. I’m planning to ask Mr. Renner and maybe Mrs. Linz if I can test some of them today.”

“Okay, class, this period is over!” the teacher called. “Head outside for gym.”
____________________________________________

“They’ve taken another one.”

”What?” Raina stood up, nearly knocking her chair over....

Do Not Pull This Tiny Beauty #WOTW11

hope blossoms 
                                                                          in       the       form
                                                                      of            a             flower
                                                               ...

Chapter Seven: The Game

Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Four: The Game  

Chapter Five: The Game 

Chapter Six: The Game

_____________________________________________________

The room was filled with boxes. Huge, empty boxes. Some of them were attached to the wall, but the majority were simple in the middle of the room, leading to nowhere. How could that work?

“Okay, gang, gather ‘round!” Cara announced. “First off, is anyone NOT here for Water Evasion?”

Three kids raised their hands, confused.

“Alright. You three go follow Mr. Lohr out and he’ll take you to your Games.”

The kids left and Cara turned back to the rest of the group. “Now for your instructions. This is kind of like a timed obstacle course. You’ll each be given a tank with 1 minute’s worth of air and then enter one of the boxes in the room, which will lower you into the course. As you will...

Dad Quotes

“It’s not what it was supposed to be, but what you call it that matters. That’s wisdom, girl!”
 - My dad

Do Not Pull This Tiny Beauty #WOTW11

hope blossoms 
                                                                          in       the       form
                                                                      of            a             flower
                                                       ...

Question for y'all

Does anyone know how to remove the drop cap that WtW automatically does when you publish a piece?? I wrote a piece with interesting formatting and I can't post it because the site adds a drop cap and screws up my formatting. :/

Uuugh, Titles Suck: Part of a Screenplay

SEE THE FOOTNOTES FOR TRANSLATIONS OF SCREENPLAY SHORTHAND

INT. AN INTERROGATION ROOM. NIGHT.

Open to a black screen.

OFFICER MARTINEZ:
Okay, Ana. You were a witness to the shooting that took place on April 19th, 2020. You're not required to respond to anything I ask you, but anything you do say can and will be used against you. You have the right to a lawyer. Do you understand?

Now we see a girl with shoulder-length blonde hair sitting nervously in a metal chair at a table. Her name is ANA. Sitting across from her is OFFICER JOSHUA MARTINEZ. He's writing on a pad of paper.

ANA:
Yes.

OFFICER MARTINEZ:
I'm going to have tell me what you remember as accurately as you can, and I'll ask questions throughout. Alright?

ANA looks down at her lap, where she's wringing her hands worriedly. She hesitates briefly before nodding.

OFFICER MARTINEZ
Alright. Go ahead.

ANA breathes deeply, keeping her eyes down.

ANA:
Okay....

#plottwist (STC)

A camera turns on to show a round-faced girl with blonde hair sitting in an interrogation room with a police officer sitting across from her. He is scribbling notes as the girl speaks.

"Alright, Annika. Tell us what you know."

"Okay. Uh, my name is Annika Brown. I'm 17 years old and I live in Clarksville, Tennessee. But the night that it happened, I wasn't in Clarksville. In fact, I was in L.A. for vacation. My friends and I were all at the...the theater, the movie theater. A couple of us had gone to get popcorn and stuff."

"Can you remember what movie you were seeing?"

"Um..I don't."

"Okay. Go on."

"Jacob and Karla had gone to get popcorn. I think May was in the bathroom. So it was just me and Cameron and Ella. The movie started and we were sitting in the dark for a minute, just...

Say What? No. 3

!Find the first two here:

Say What? No. 1

Say What? No. 2

They're not related in any way, but this is a series of sorts, so...yeah. XD

____________________________________________________________________

A compilation of random, ridiculous, and hopefully laugh-worthy bits of ACTUAL SPEECH that I've heard people say. Some are from random people, and some are from my family and friends. You're free to use any of them in stories, poems, or whatever. :) 

"She had her arms up in her sweater, so I thought it was her chest, and then she moved them apart and I was like what?!? (My sister at the grocery store yesterday upon seeing a girl in a large sweater, but not using the sleeves)

"Jeez, I swear I can smell the broccoli through the doors!" (This was me, and I won't elaborate because it's mildly embarrassing)

"Give me the that!" (Every single member of my family at some point in time, frustrated.)

"If you could...

#questionsthatneedanswers

1. Did you ever have that moment when you realized that you could've taken the easy way instead is suffering? Was your suffering worth it? 
Chemistry. The entire freaking class. I could have done Physical Science! It would have been
so 
much
EASIER.
And believe me, it is not worth it. XD

2. What's your favorite time of day? 
Mornings! I do good writing and I love the look of the outdoors when the sun has just risen and there's still dew on the ground.

3. What's the saddest word in the English language? Why? 
That..that is an impossible question. How about "sad"? XD

4. Do you ever have that feeling you're being watched as you write your stories? 
Half the time I AM being watched hahaha I have three younger siblings who constantly try to peek over my shoulder when I'm writing, especially The Game (which they are forbidden from reading until it's in print, even if that's never XD).
...

And Her Name Was Liberty

Once there was a country,
the land of the free
and the home of the brave.

"All are welcome here,"
they said.
"All races
all ages
all beliefs."

But that has changed.
That 
is no more.

Once there was a people,
a people united
to fight together for freedom.

"All men
are created equal,"
they said.
"With the right to life,
to liberty,
and the pursuit of happiness.

But that has changed.
That
is no more.

Once there was a statue,
a copper-turned-green woman
who represented freedom,
and her name was Liberty.

But that has changed.
That
is no more.

Ask The Writer...Again XD

Heyo!

So, I'm bored. Ask me any questions you've got and I'll answer them in a separate piece! :P

#capitallettersq&a

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE? 

42. *giant goofy-looking grin*

WHAT’S YOUR GUILTY PLEASURE? 

Cheesy novels (sometimes, depending on the subject matter) and chocolate!

DESCRIBE YOURSELF PHYSICALLY. (POSITIVITY AND HONESTY IS KEY)  (courtesy of she’s-got-a-story) 

I have long, milk-chocolate colored hair that I plan on cutting soon (It's getting hard to take care of), blue eyes, and blue-and-brown glasses. I have pierced ears, but I can't wear stud earrings, for some reason. I'm a rectangular shaped person with an oval shaped face, and I most often wear Converse, jeans/leggings, and t-shirts.

SHOULD PINEAPPLE BE ON PIZZA? (courtesy of moi and every q&a i’ve ever done) 
Absolutely.
Ironically, I just watched a video on this and they were tied XD

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF SOUL MATES? (courtesy of lasl) 
Dunno. 

WHAT ARE SOME WORDS THAT YOU REALLY LIKE / USE OFTEN? 

I use "quite" a lot, but I really like the word "crunch". I don't particularly like the word...

Love in Words

To The Boy In The Empty Room

To the Boy In The Empty Room,

We arrived at the wrong time,
and that was how we met.
It was just the two of us,
sitting in the room
and feeling confused as anything.

The teacher didn't show up.
No other classmates showed up.
Just us.

We chatted about our confusion
and a couple of other classes we had,
how far we were in the course.
Just superficial stuff.

But then a few days later,
we met
in person.

A field trip, it was.

An awkward chat ensued,
and a walk along the paths
of the park.

After that,
I think,
was when it started.

I wish for you to be
the first relationship,
the first love,
the first.

I have no way
of knowing,
but I hope.

I hope forever.

Much love,
Me

I Wouldn't Be Who I Am: I Reached 100 Followers!

I wouldn't be who I am, without you
I wouldn't sing the way I sing, without you...
...I  wouldn't be the human I am
Without the friends that let me fly and help me land...

- Kodaline, I Wouldn't Be

Recently I reached 100 followers, and I started this piece. But before I finished it, I reached 106 followers! Don't worry, you should all be there. I certainly hope so. :) If I did miss someone, please tell me! You all deserve recognition.

Thank you all so, so much for your follows! They're so encouraging and they make my day every time.

Peppermint Lemondade, the first of them all,
"likes" back and forth for days
brought endless smiles to my face.

Next up Riley Noel,
who I (literally!) freaked out over
when I saw the follow ...

I wouldn't be who I am, without you
...I  wouldn't be the human I am

- Kodaline, I Wouldn't Be

"likes" back and forth for days
brought endless smiles to my face.

Next up Riley Noel,
who I (literally!) freaked out over
when I saw the follow ...

Say What? No. 2

"_____ the married men! _____ them!" (The "____" was a word I won't say, therefore blanked out.)

"Cheese water?!?" (My brother at dinner recently)

*In strong, odd-sounding accent* "Hi, my name's Gretchen. I'm...a cow herd. I milk...the cows. I then proceed...to dump it on...the cows. I then lick...the cows." (Don't even ask *dies laughing*)

"Jeez, it's not our car yet!" (We went to test-drive a car and my sister was being weird in it, so I told her this. It spawned a story idea too! XD)

"I don't want to move it any much more that closer!" (My dad while moving a shelf in a rather flustered manner)

#standalonedialogue

You know, we can always change it up afterward.

"Yeah. But I don't want to screw it up."

It's not like it's the only chance you'll ever get.

"Ha, riiight. You forget I only get three chances."

What?

"Oh, come on. It's hammered into our heads even before Birth!"

Oh, that. Sheesh, you should get over it.

Click

Click!

A moment is captured,
never to be forgotten?

Or will it?

Pictures fade,
and cameras break.

Minds forget,
and ideas? More than a few gone,
give or take.

If the picture fades
and no one remembers
did it ever happen at all?

The Game Chapter One #muppetsnovelworkshop

Hey y'all! I really need a review on this, simply because I'm sure the next person is still waiting to post theirs. haha So if you could, all reviews are welcome! :) Thank you!

Should I ask her? 

The entire country was preparing for the national event known as the Game, one that all children 15 and under could enter. And Lynn Thomas wanted to enter.

“Lynn, breakfast!”

I’ll ask her later.

She went downstairs, where her mom was standing at the stove, cooking breakfast. She turned around and smiled when she saw Lynn. “Hey, good luck on your math test later!”

Lynn grinned. “I’ll need all the luck I can get,” she replied. Her mother laughed and leaned forward. “Okay, here’s a little motivation: I’ll give you permission to have Cassidy stay over on Friday if you get at least a B. Okay?”

“Definitely!” Lynn nodded vigorously. “Will you make chocolate chip pancakes?”
...

Sha 
   rd
s
of ink on the page

share
awful
revelations

transcending the borders of my mind.

Now I have but an
                   in
                  kli 
                    ng 

of the future:

Chaos.

Serenity? What is this foreign word?

The world
is only as calm as    a    s p e e d i n g  b u s

Roving through
   t
i      m
   e

as a hermit         wanders 

the 
                 earth

but far less calm.

Now desperate attempts commence

to decipher the reason

for life,...

Living People

Profiling Eden and Titus

Aaalrighty then! SO I’m writing a screenplay now. XD random, right? But it’s something I’ve wanted to do for a while now, so I’m doin it. These are the character profiles for my two protagonists, Eden and Titus. 

What is something about your character that no one knows?
They’ve got something to do with a person in the future and their plans. I just decided this today, so no judging XD 

What is his/her favorite time of day?  
     Eden: Early morning. She likes the lighting and the gorgeous dew and such for painting and drawing.
     Titus: afternoon. To him this means that school is over and he can do piano, as he’s a very musical person. 

Who is his/her closest confidant?
Each other. They’re twins and very close to each other. 

What is something she/he collects?
Eden: Pencils! She has one from every state/country she’s been to. 
Titus: nothing, I don’t think XD 

What...

Say What? No. 1

"Whoa, that's some extra beef right there!" (A group of teenage boys at my youth group)

"...when your grandpa is drunk!" (My grandmother, for some reason)

"Never do the Running Man while chewing." (My little sister at dinner last night)

"Better ingredients, better pancakes, Papa Zoe's!" (My younger brother at lunch today)

"I ith a thquare. (I is a square)" (My little sister)

Should I ask her? 

“Lynn, breakfast!”

I’ll ask her later.

“Lynn, you know I save those for special occasions,” her mother fake-frowned.

Lynn shrugged jokingly. “What? I mean, technically some people consider the weeks leading up to the Game a special occasion.”

...

Song of My Soul

My life
I know it's never really been mine

Just a puppet on a lonely string

I'm on the outside, always looking in
Will I ever be more than I've always been?

I search the heavens
and the earth below

But you have called me higher
you have called me deeper

I hear it callin'
outside my window

Carrying the weight of every single day

So let the light guide your way
hold every memory as you go
and every road you take will always lead you home

Normal (revised)

What is normal, really?

Is it being a straight-B student or a popular kid? Is it being someone who wakes up at 6 AM and goes to school every day?

A kid who's always late?

s normal being the kid who sends selfies on Instagram every day to keep people updated on their life?

Or is it being the one who doesn't use social media but has friends nonetheless?

Is normal being the kid who sits alone at lunch, the one who gets shoved into lockers and called a nerd?

Is it getting F's on the tests that matter because your dad was out of a job, you had to work and didn't have time to study?

Is it being the girl who cries herself to sleep because the kids were scared of her special needs brother and bullied him?

Am I normal? Are you? 

Is there really such a thing as normal? 

#Psychological

I'm running, 
running through darkness.

What is happening?

I see nothing, hear nothing
but the horror
that fills my head.

Why is this happening? 

I know not the source
or the form,
but only the unidentifiable danger
surrounding me.

Where am I?

Suddenly I see
and scream,
something that arrives
only in my darkest dreams.

How is this possible?

It rushes
and I lurch
nearly crashing down
as it forces its way into my mind.

What is happening?

I am no longer sane.
I am taken over by the creature
that holds me captive,
pushing me down
into darkness.

Why me? 

Now I'm falling,
down 
down 
and farther
down.

I never
hit
the ground.

Chapter Six: The Game

Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Three: The Game 

Chapter Four: The Game 

Chapter Five: The Game

____________________________________________________

Lynn walked over to the screen with her full name on it and sat on a stool. There was a fingerprint scanner, and she hovered her finger over it. But before she could touch it, her fingerprint was accepted and the screen with her name went away, a new one popping up. This one had 3 pictures with the words Running, Puzzle, and Trap underneath them, and Lynn caught her breath. It was the moment of truth, and there was no turning back now.

She looked at all of the choices, considering each one carefully and reading every description. She checked each category and finally decided on Water Evasion and Rush, both of which were Running Games.

Lynna Belle Thomas, are you sure that you wish to choose WATER EVASION and RUSH?

She tapped yes.

Choices confirmed...

Chapter Five: The Game

Read the first four chapters here:

Chapter One: The Game 

Chapter Two: The Game 

Chapter Three: The Game

Chapter Four: The Game

__

Beep beep, beep beep, beep beep…

Lynn rolled over in bed. What the heck? she thought. Where was the beeping coming from? She forced open her sleep-infested eyes to find an alarm clock on the nightstand by her bed. She tried to hit the off button, but didn’t find one. She turned it over and felt there. Ah, there it was! She pressed the button, then looked over to Cassidy after it shut off. Rarely a morning person, Cassidy had tried to hit the snooze button but hadn’t been able to find it, only succeeding in knocking her clock to the floor.

Lynn grinned and crossed the room to shut her friend’s clock off. “Oh, thank you so much!” Cassidy said dramatically, hugging Lynn. “You’re an absolute lifesaver!”

She nearly fell off the...

Chapter Four: The Game

Read the first three chapters here:

Chapter One: The Game 

Chapter Two: The Game 

Chapter Three: The Game

________________________________________________________________________________________

Mrs. Jessen hugged Cassidy over the back of her seat and patted Lynn’s shoulder before the girls got out of the car and she drove away, leaving them there with a wave. They then turned to the man, who pointed to a woman standing a few feet away. “Ms. Lee will be your guide today, girls. She’ll show you around the facility and make sure you can get settled in all right.”

The woman came over to them with a big smile. “Hey, guys! I know he said to call me Ms. Lee, but please call me Cara. I’ve been working here for the last three Games, so I think I’ll be a good guide for you.”

They entered the building and were greeted by an enormous lobby with 30 foot-high ceilings, as Cara informed them. They saw the...

Chapter Three: The Game

Read the first two chapters here:

Chapter One: The Game

Chapter Two: The Game

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When she arrived at school, instead of going to class, Lynn walked to the principal’s office. She knocked on the door to Mr. Diaz’s office and was welcomed in. She explained what she was there for, and he nodded knowingly. “So you won’t be here for the next month, correct?”

“I don’t know,” Lynn said. “I thought I was just here to make sure I’d entered.”

Mr. Diaz frowned. “They didn’t tell you? You’ll be going to the training center about an hour away from here until the Game starts, when you move over to the official Center. You’ll probably be leaving tonight, along with anybody else who entered within the last week.”

“Oh, Lynn said. “I didn’t know that.”

“Don’t worry, you won’t have to catch up afterward. And we’re all rooting for you!” Mr. Diaz gave a thumbs up. Lynn grinned and gave...

Chapter Two: The Game

Read chapter one here: Chapter One: The Game

........................................................................................................................................................

Lynn quietly slipped out the door before it was light out the next morning, tiptoeing so as not to wake her mother. She crept off the front walk silently and jogged down the streetlamp-lit road.

She was headed to the Point of Entry, a building temporarily erected for 2 months before the Game began every 3 years.
It was where all potential entrants went to fill out their entry applications and become a contestant. Lynn wasn’t usually the type of person to go against a parent’s wishes, but it was the last year that she could enter before she was too old and she was determined to do it. Plus, why was her mom so set against it happening? It wasn’t like it was dangerous or anything.

By then she had reached the Point. There was no line when she walked in, and she was able to go right...

Chapter One: The Game

Should I ask her?

“Lynn, breakfast!”

I’ll ask her later.

...

Passing Time

Time
A curious thing 
Passing slowly, passing fast
       Moments of joy,
    moments of sadness
      Increasing in age
Clocks ticking away the hours,
     days, months, years
           and then
            the end.

#6things

Okay, I didn't know this was a thing until I saw stripedfly's piece about it XD but here's mine!

1. Writing. Above all, I write. I never used to identify myself as a writer, but it's become such a central part of my personality that that's almost the first thing I tell people. If they find me boring because of it, that's their problem, not mine. XD

2. Baking! I'm semi-famous at my dad's job for these cookies I make, and I bake for my group in youth every Wednesday night. :)

3. I. Love. Movies. Seriously, I'm such a geek. I've watched so many movies from the 80's and 90's, as well as a lot of modern stuff. XD And if you look in my bio, there's two movie related things.

4. MARVEL. Enough said. Lol.

5. Reading. This should have ranked higher, since it's literally all I do sometimes, but I didn't even think about it till now....

A Random Love Poem

I can't believe it.

Us?

You
   me
       we

On the front steps
a loving embrace
from you
to me

The first kiss
but not the last

I'm in shock!

Dawn

Love in morning light
smiles trade faces gladly
sadness exists not

The Answers to Ask The Author Questions!

I got a lot more questions than I thought I would haha! Thanks so much everyone for your questions. 

And now,  here are your answers! :D

Quille's Questions - 

•  Q: Does your username have any special meaning behind it? If so, what is it?
  • A: It didn't until you asked the question XD Originally the origin of the name was a picture I took of a pencil shaving that looked like a rose, along with two pencils. But when you asked, my mind raced with possibilities. Hahaha So for now, I'll say that a rose is a symbol of love, and paper is what books and writing are put on, therefore the paper rose is a symbol of reading, writing, and love. :D

• Q: What three colors would you use to describe your personality?
    A: Gold, for the most part, because it describes the usually-happy person that I am. Gray, for the times when I'm either really bored or...

Well, I guess I’m doing the Ask The Author Thing now XD

Well. Another trend has started. XD 

Ask me whatever you wish and it will be answered! :D No matter how ridiculous the question (or the answer, which could lead to some very embarrassing stories XD), you’ll have an answer when I post my responses. :)

Now ask away, fellow writers! :P

Strike

Call Me Crazy

Call me crazy, 
call me wrong,
call me left,
But I stand strong. 

The unborn are are just that, unborn. 
So please, let them live,
don’t put them down the drain
as though through a sieve. 

Abortion is wrong. 
Call me crazy,
but I’ll stand strong. 

They Will Live

Anger rises in my throat
as almost-lives sing
their final note. 

Sadness rises as well,
as unborn children
claim their final quell. 

I can’t believe it. 
So many that will never live,
children who will never receive 
the love this world has to give. 

This unfair “permission”,
this cruel truth,
America, what’s wrong with you?

You bear these children 
without bearing, 
you give them life
without giving. 

How dare you?
I cannot stay silent. 
I cannot let lives be taken, 
signed away in a single second
of fear. 

These children will survive. 
These children will have worth. 
These children will live. 

Just a Note, Please Read

Okay! Based on the rather solemn events of the day, I’ve started an anonymous (to all except you guys) activist Twitter account. It’s the same name as this account and if you followed it it would be tremendously helpful. But obviously you don’t have to. :)

And if if you would, please keep it anonymous. :) thank you!

*loud tone*
This has been a public service announcement from pencils.and.paper.roses. 

Ellie q&a!

Why on Earth did you decide to do this q&a?  

In the words of Paperbird, I love pointless questions. XD but really, I’m just avoiding doing my chores lol 

2. Yes/No: Hunger Games. Divergent. Harry Potter. Percy Jackson.  
Hunger Games ABSOLUTELY I LOVE THEM. I started Divergent but haven’t finished. 
Harry Potter, no way, no how. Sorry. XD 
Percy Jackson, probably never. Sorry. 

3. Have you ever read the Artemis Fowl series? (if you have, I love you)
*somewhat reluctantly* Noooo, but I might have to sometime XD it seems that a lot of people freak out over it

4. When you read a book that is later made into a movie, do you usually prefer the movie or the book?  

That kinda depends. Did I REALLY like the book? Then I’ll probably like the book better, and vice versa. :)

5. Yankees or Red Sox?   

I’ve gotta say the Red Sox. My aunt lived there for a...

Open Prompt

These Lines That Divide

We call them boundaries,
these lines that divide. 
We say they keep us safe,
and keep it fair. 

But how so? 
These lines that divide 
only harm,
angering with lines thin as hair. 

So break the boundaries,
these lines that divide,
or put up new, 
new lines that equalize, prevent any tear*. 

We can’t say we like them,
these lines that divide 
so let’s get rid of them, 
make peace and clear the air.

Writing Resolutions

A Writer’s Life For Me

1. As a writer, I hope to write a screenplay for the first time and edit my novel, The Game. :D

2. In my craft, I hope to work on giving my characters different motivations. :P

Tiny Love Story

*mind explodes*

I should not be online right now, at 12:35 pm.  
But I can’t sleep to save my life.  

I saw my classmate at a field trip today. 
I happen to like him a good bit...
And he asked me out. 

*mind explodes*

He did it in a roundabout way though, not straight up. 
I didn’t know what to say, so I said “maybe, I think it might work”. 

I’m planning on going to tell him yes tomorrow. 
But I am absolutely TERRIFIED. 
I shouldn’t be, but I am. 

Oh, young love. 
Young love and all its awkwardness. 
Gotta love it. 

Who am I?

Who am I?
A controversial question
one that has troubled generation
after generation.

Who am I?
Does anyone have 
the universal answer?
I think not.
Such a question 
cannot have
only one answer,
you know.

Who am I?

I am a writer,
a maker,
an avid creator,
someone who loves
to compose.

I am a child,
someone 
who never grows up,
a person who is seemingly
young forever.

I am a fighter,
a stubborn mule,
someone who won't 
be pushed around
or bent to another's will.

I am a lover.
I am a believer.
I am (hopefully) trustworthy.
I am a friend.

am
me.

Who
are
you?

Dawn

Love in morning light
smiles trade faces gladly
sadness exists not

Time

Oh no, it’s nearly five,
I’m running out of time

Search. Watch. It has to be here somewhere. 
Is it truly lost?

Now it’s 4:49. 
Limited lines
are in front of me, 
rows of forgotten objects
that I search tirelessly. 

Where is it?
Oh, Mom will kill me
if I don’t bring it back. 

4:59
and I have resigned 
myself to my fate. 

Some Yahoo

Another weird, real conversation that happened while my dad was playing Minecraft. 

(Jokingly to my sister) “Hey, leave it alone, you fool!”

”What? How dare you! Offense taken!”

”Well, then give me my fence back! I got it for keeps, not to give away to some yahoo in a *unintelligible* skirt!”

*Entire room bursts out laughing*

Bryce Smash

A real conversation I had last night with my family while my dad was playing Minecraft. He was trying to break a block and failing.

"You stupid block! Break!"

He finally broke it.

"There. Geez."

"Smashes block in anger." I said. 

"Hulk smash." My sister commented jokingly.

"Bryce smash!"

Mirror, Mirror: Chapter One + Prologue

Hey y'all! Just needing to know what you think of this. :) It's the beginning of the sequel to Hide and Seek and Simon Says. ANY FEEDBACK IS WELCOME! Thank you! :D

Prologue
“It’s finished.”
     “All the way? Nothing to fix or improve?”
“No, ma’am. Nothing except the kink we couldn’t fix in the NS.”
    The woman smiled. “Perfect. Send them now. Tell them not to return until they’ve found him and put him in.”
     The young man nodded and left the room, leaving the woman to her own devices. Her smile grew, knowing she would soon triumph.

Chapter One: Willow
“We can’t.”
     “It’s our only choice, Willow. What else can we do?”
“We can stay. Or we can hide. Why run? They’ll catch us in the end anyway.”
    Simon had just given his testimony. Willow, Silas, and all other Powered were officially wanted. And Willow was terrified.
      Silas had told her...

Who am I?

Who am I?
A controversial question
one that has troubled generation
after generation.

Who am I?
Does anyone have 
the universal answer?
I think not.
Such a question 
cannot have
only one answer,
you know.

Who am I?
I have an answer
for only myself,
an answer that describes
my personality,
my truths,
my life.

I am a writer,
a maker,
an avid creator,
someone who loves
to compose.

I am a child,
someone 
who never grows up,
a person who is seemingly
young forever.

I am a fighter,
a stubborn mule,
someone who won't 
be pushed around
or bent to another's will.

I am a lover.
I am a believer.
I am (hopefully) trustworthy.
I am a friend.

am
me.

911, What’s Your Emergency? PENGUINS?

“911, what is your emergency?”

”Uh, I’m not exactly sure. But there’s, like, 800 penguins running around in the park right now. Just thought maybe somebody should know.”

”Penguins, sir?”

”Right. Penguins.”

”Could...could you give me your location,  sir? We can send an animal control team right away.”

”Central Park, ma’am. And you might want to hurry! They’re starting to move out into the roadway.” 

“Alright, sir, there’s a team on their way right now. Was there anything else?”

”No ma’am. Thanks for your time.”

The caller hung up his phone and grinned with satisfaction. Wouldn’t they get a surprise when they discovered there was nothing there. 

Who is “They”?

So many of us will often tell a friend       “ ‘they’ say it’s wrong to gossip”, or        “ ‘they’ told us we can’t do that in school”. 

But who is “they”?

Is “they” the ones who dictate our world, the ones who tell us how to eat and dress? Is “they” the friends no one is really friends with and only afraid of?

Are we “they”? Do we question what others do and replace it with our own ideals? Are our families “they”, forcing us to mold ourselves into their perfect image?

Who is “they”?

2019

One-Bowl Happy New Year

Ingredients - 
3 cups of God’s love
1 cup of big dreams
1 tablespoon of small dreams 
8 ounces of chocolate chips
5 movie and tv show premieres
1/2 cup of happy tears
3/4 pound of work
2 cups of learning, divided
1 bag of high-quality coffee
1 1/2 cups of sadness
1 loss
2 cups music
2 journeys, beaten well
3/4 cups of determination 
2/3 cup of strength
1/2 cup of mixed emotions 

Recipe - 

1. Place God’s love and work together in a large bowl. Mix well. Add in the half cup of mixed emotions and beat until combined. These are the first half of your dry ingredients

2.  Place the big dreams, one of the journeys, and the movie/tv show premieres in the food processor and mix until they become a powder. Then add them, the second half of your dry ingredients, to the first bowl. 

3. Brew the entire bag of coffee and pour it in,...

Lost To The Dust #myfirstcontest

“They’ve taken another one.”

”What?” Raina stood up, nearly knocking her chair over. “Another one?”

Celia nodded gravely. “There’s only a few left. Soon there will be none.” 

Raina glanced over to the corner of the room, where her baby son was sleeping peacefully with a tiny smile on his face. “What are we gonna do?”

”We need to help more children than just  Job,” Celia said. “We need to help them all. All 15 of them.”

Raina sighed. “You’re right.” She looked at her sister helplessly. “But how?”

”We take them, maybe their parents, and we run. We leave here and never look back, start a new life somewhere else.” Celia looked back at Raina. “Or else humanity will be lost to the dust.”

“Okay,” Raina said. “Let’s do it.”
___________________________________
2 hours later, Raina had gathered all the families in their town, the only families left in the world. For the last 10 years, children had slowly, mysteriously...

Another

Today I went to get my learners permit to start driving. I stood in line, waited in a chair with my brother, and waited for the DMV lady to finish filling in my information. 

Then I took the test. I failed by 2 questions and was annoyed for the next 2 hours, and my brother did the same. I got over it, of course. But that isn’t the point of this piece. Someone else is. 

While we were there after failing, we saw another kid. Our mother struck up a conversation with the boy’s mother, and we learned that he hadn’t passed either- for the second time

For some reason, the boy stuck in my thoughts. He’d seemed so disappointed about not passing, and it made me sad. How much had he failed by?

I can’t explain why this encounter affected me so much, but I won’t soon forget it. He’ll stay in my prayers for a long time. 

Simon Says #CliffhangerQueenContest

PLEASE NOTE: THIS STORY IS THE SEQUEL TO HIDE AND SEEK. PLEASE READ HIDE AND SEEK IN FULL BEFORE READING THIS STORY. THANK YOU! :D

8 months after the events of Hide and Seek…

Chapter One
“Now, if the antecedent were used here, what would be the effect on the sentence?”
     Willow was sitting in English class, bored out of her mind. They were having a quiz that day, but her teacher had yet to pass it out. Come on…she thought. Should she use the Power she’d stolen from the Head on him? She decided against it. It was a bit risky.
     Minutes before her teacher passed out the quizzes, the bell rang. He threw his hands in the air in exasperation and dismissed them. Freedom! No more talk of antecedents and types of nouns. It was time for art class!
     As Willow stood up from her seat and grabbed her backpack, she saw...

Hide and Seek (full story)

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS THE ORIGINAL STORY THAT SIMON SAYS IS A SEQUEL TO. DO NOT READ SIMON SAYS UNTIL YOU'VE READ THIS STORY IN FULL. THANK YOU! :D

Chapter One

“Willow, why aren’t you dressed yet? We’re leaving in half an hour!” Willow’s mother told her, exasperated. Willow pulled herself up off of the couch reluctantly. She was not looking forward to this trip. She’d been informed 2 months ago that they would be traveling to Des Moines, Iowa to help her aunt with her wedding. Having never really met her aunt, except once at a birthday party for someone else she didn’t really know, she was happy for her. But she didn’t see the point in going to the wedding at all, though she was a junior bridesmaid.
     Despite her annoyance, Willow went upstairs to her bedroom and pulled on a t-shirt and a pair of leggings. She brushed back her short, wavy brown hair back behind...

Question About A Series!

Hi guys!

So I absolutely love music and I absolutely love writing. Recently, I got an awesome idea: I want to start writing a series of short stories (none of which are related) based off of songs. They would have the same title as the song and have the same message as the song, in a way. 

Who would be interested in reading this??

Thanky! :D
Early Pearl

End of The Year Q&A: Another Questionnare for mrcolinedwards :D

1. Out of all the movies this year,which one would say was the very best one of 2018? I have quite a few myself,including The Incredibles 2,Black Panther,Ralph Breaks The Internet,Ant Man And The Wasp,and Avengers Infinity War. And as a second part of to this question,if you had but one movie that you thought was alright,but needed to be better,which one would it be and how would you change it if you traveled back in time? 

Avengers. Infinity. War. I am DEAD. But I LOVED IT. 
Part 2: I dunno XD We watched a very limited amount of new movies this year, so I have no opinion. Next year, on the other hand XD We're going to be at the movie theater more than we usually do in TWO years! :D

2. What would you say are going to miss about 2018 the most? A lot of great things happened this year and although we wish that we could all relive them,we...

Insert Title Here: A Poem-Like Non Poem of a Statement With No Real Title XD

Holy crap, you guys.

I absolutely love this villain.

He's so fun to write.

Endless joking is a great villain trait. 

Q&A for mrcolinedwards :D

1. What sorts of food do you find particularly pleasing in taste and smell?

Bread, chocolate, and crab rangoon. XD Random, right?

2. Has there ever been a time,any time at all,when you've just wanted to do something absolutely bizarre or derpy,just for the sake of doing it? I ask this because I feel as though that deep down in every individual is that very desire and am now pondering what I would do if I let it out. 

Probably...but I honestly can't think of a time. It was probably me wanting to dance even though I can't dance to save my life XD! 

3. Here's another "marry a villain from pop culture" scenario; If you had to be married to either Thanos from the Marvel comics or Queen Ravenna from the Snow White And The Huntsman movie,which one do you suppose would be the better choice? Which one would be the least difficult to put up with and the most decent?...

Chapter Two: Hide and Seek

When she nervously went outside to get back in the car later, she glanced around and saw no sign of the man anywhere. Thank goodness for that, she thought. She strapped her seatbelt in and looked back out the window. Then to her horror, she saw him right outside the door of the building! She’d just left the building a second ago, and he hadn’t been anywhere; it was impossible! She turned back around and took a deep breath. You’re just seeing things, Willow, you’re just seeing things, she assured herself. She left her books in her bag this time and payed attention to what her family was doing. 

She didn’t know why. Maybe to see Rhiel hiccupping again. Unfortunately nothing happened this time, and she fell asleep before she knew it. 

She was woken up to Rhiel crying 4 hours later. “Oh, Rhiel,” Willow said sleepily. Her twin was still asleep, and her mother was close to it....

#serendipitouscomp: Peppermint Ice Cream

“Seriously, Kal, how do you come up with this stuff?” I said. Kal grinned and threw jazz hands. “Pure genius, baby!” 

I shook my head and smiled. “You are ridiculous.” I stood from my chair and walked over to the fridge. “You want some ice cream?”

”What kind?”

”Your favorite, peppermint. I got it just for you.”

He clasped his hands together. “Aw, I’m touched.” I grabbed two bowls and two spoons. “Do you have chocolate syrup?” He asked, eyebrows raised. 

“Ooh, I like your style!”

I came back to the table with the bowls and sat down. “Oh man, Loren, this is good.” Kal sat back in his chair. Then he took my hand and I caught my breath. “What are you doing, Kal?”

He smiled. “Something...something I’ve wanted to do for a while now.” Oh gosh...

He leaned forward and I turned my head. He kissed my ear. “Loren, hold still,” he said. I tried not to...

EARLY PEARL WROTE A PROMPT FOR YA!

Hey-o writers! :D I’ve written a prompt for you today. Not a contest, just a prompt. 

The prompt is:
List the things you’re REALLY excited about doing/seeing/finding/etc. in 2019 along with a short explanation/context for it. Family vacation? Write it down. New movie(s)? Add ‘em on. Expecting a sibling? Put them on the list! See my example piece here

There won’t be rewards like in a contest, but I will like and comment on all your pieces written for this prompt! :D Tag it with #MyNextNewYear and/or leave a link on the comments. :P

My Piece For My #MyNextNewYear Prompt :D

Written on chronological order, not order of excitement. :) 

1. January 18th: Glass release! 
This is the next M. Night Shyamalan movie that also happens to have James McAvoy co-starring. (See my bio XD.)  :) I’ve looked forward to it for a while now. 

2. February 1st: My sister’s birthday party. 
Yes, she’s only turning 11. Yes, she’s only inviting people her age. But we’re close, I get to make the cake, and I like parties. XD

3. March 8th: Captain Marvel release!
Lordy, I’m such a nerd XD. But if this explains some of the zillion questions from Infinity War, I’m all for it!

April 26th: Avengers: Endgame release!!!
Boy, I do like movies, don't I. BUT ehr ma geeeerd I'm so exciteeeeeed! Movie of the YEAR right here. Oh dang, it's gonna kill me...but I'm so excited. Thanks so much, Russo brothers. *sobs and laughs simultaneously*

4. May 20th: Last day of 2018-19 school year!
Woohooo!

5. June 26th:...

Welp.

So, I've had a Google Docs account since I was 9 or so years old. My little sister also tends to use it for school projects and such. Yesterday, I went back and looked through it. 

I discovered "designs" for paper wings, a paper my sister wrote called "Crocs: Shoes or Animals?" (which cracked me up, by the way), and a lot of old book reports I did in elementary school. But one thing I found, just one, kind of shocked me a little bit.

When I was 9 years old and totally unaware of how the whole publishing process worked, I wrote a story. It was titled "Vac Attack". I read through this document in Google Docs with a look of horrified amusement. About halfway through, I discovered THIS "gem":

For about five miles, there were a lot of car engine noises, and they had to shout to hear each other. “Hey Dyson, what do you run on?” “If...

A Paper Rose #manateecontest

A rose is known
for love.

The Beast's rose fading, withering 
as he did not find it.

A hopeful young one holding, handing
bouquets to his love.

But these are real.
Real roses, and real love.

So does a paper rose
mean a paper love?

#manateeq&a

What is your favorite book of all time
The Giver! Such s great story,  awesome characters. Close second is A Wrinkle In Time. :D

2. Your favorite movie?  
The Matrix, which has topped the list since I was 13. It’s scifi from the 80s-90s and stars Keanu Reeves and Hugo Weaving. But it’s now tied with Split, which was released in 2016, is directed by M. Night Shyamalan, stars James McAvoy, and is a thriller. I have such weird taste XD. 

3. What is your favorite TV show?  
This is Us! That’s my definite favorite. Second favorite is The Flash on CW (which isn’t even that good, but you just can’t stop watching) and...Spongebob Squarepants. 

4. Do you play any sports? If so, what are they?
I’m far too much of a klutz to play sports, although I do like to swim. I like to watch football and baseball though. :)

5. What is your biggest...

Normal (revised)

What is normal, really?

Is it being a straight-B student or a popular kid? Is it being someone who wakes up at 6 AM and goes to school every day? A kid who's always late? Is normal being the kid who sends selfies on Instagram every day to keep people updated on their life? Or is it being the one who doesn't use social media but has friends nonetheless?

Is normal being the kid who sits alone at lunch, the one who gets shoved into lockers and called a nerd? Is it getting F's on the tests that matter because your dad was out of a job, you had to work and didn't have time to study? Is it being the girl who cries herself to sleep because the kids were scared of her special needs brother and bullied him?

Am I normal? Are you? 

Is there really such a thing as normal? 

1 Photo, 100 Words

I Will Always Love The Jellyfish

I am on my first field trip in 9th grade; the aquarium. Many of the kids in my class are bored, but not me. My backpack holds my camera to take pictures to show my little sister. As I watch the jellyfish float through the water, I decide that they are my favorite animal. Suddenly a memory surfaces of my father placing me on his shoulders to see the animals better when I was four years old, before I was old enough to start school. I smile, remembering how I'd told him they would always be my favorite... 

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before the story, please! It's a continuation. :D This is a really short bit. 

So...you know how I told you my writer was trying to make me be in love with someone, but I liked someone that you knew?

I've worked up the courage to tell you who. I'm so embarrassed, but I'm going to tell you.

Ready?

It's you. My reader.

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D

I got an idea for a contest after I posted my character casting list, which is a cool idea I found somewhere. 

The prompt -
 - If you've ever written a short story or a longer story, choose the main characters (as in the main character, the villain, and major supporting characters) and write a short description of how you picture each of them, looks and personality-wise. Then pick the actor that would play them if the story were a movie! See my example piece here

Judging - 
 - There will be a first, second, and third place winner along with one honorable mention. You'll be judged based on how well you've done with casting.

Prizes - 
The first place winner will receive: A 2-week shout-out, 3 reviews, 3 likes, and 2 comments.
The second place winner will receive: 2 reviews, 2 likes, and one comment. 
The third place winner will receive: 1 review, 2 like,...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D  

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

A Paper Rose #manateecontest

A rose is known
for love.

The Beast's rose fading, withering 
as he did not find it.

A hopeful young one holding, handing
bouquets to his love.

But these are real.
Real roses, and real love.

So does a paper rose
mean a paper love?

Crescent Moon

I'm looking out my car window
                  while watching
                           the world
                                     pass
                                        by.

I glance upward and see the moon
                               a perfect
                                   crescent
                                      like a giant
                                          toenail
   ...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D 

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D  

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D 

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING A SHORT CONTEST!

Hey y'all!!! :D 

The prompt -

Judging - 

Prizes - 

Character Casting List

ALRGHTY! I was bored one day and didn't want to do my chores, so I made this list of all the actors that would play my characters if they were made into movies. Here it is!

NOTE: I did all of these AFTER I wrote the stories.

The Game - 

Lynn Thomas - Zoe Skaggs
This is me, so no description here XD.

Cassidy Jessen - Sadie Sink
Light hair color (blonde or red), taller than Lynn. She has a strong personality. The games she chose were Flame Evasion and Freeze Apocalypse (you kind of need context for this, but the piece is really long, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.)

Albany Corla - Quvenzhané Wallis (first choice) or Storm Reid
Young African-American girl who's very shy until you get to know her. She's shorter than both Lynn and Cassidy. She chose Water Evasion, Lost Time, and A-Mazed (also needs context)

Robin Jores - ...

#MyStoryQ&A

do you still live where you were born?  
I don't think so. I've lived in so many places in Kansas and Missouri that I honestly don't remember where I was born XD.

how many languages do you speak/study?  
I'm fluent in English (obviously, hence this language XD) but I know some Spanish and recently started learning French and Swahili.

do you consider yourself a good student?  
Sometimes...math and Chemistry are my worst subjects, and I've barely managed to keep them up to a C.

do you sport?  
Nope. I'm a huge klutz, hahaha. I love to watch sports though.

are you religious?  
Yep. Going into missions work later in life. :)

what should you be doing right now? (me, studying for two tests i have in about 12 hours)  
Writing my next novel...it's dedicated to my baby foster cousin who might not be with us for much longer, so I want the chance to give it to my aunt...

My December Writing Competition 2018

Instead, We Wait

For most, December means Christmas,
toys and games
family meals
and tales of the past.
But not
for us.
We aren't holiday people.

Instead, we wait
for snow
Glorious, shining snow
that covers our shoes
soaks our ankles
and silvers our hair.

Instead, we wait
for hymns
Loud, rolling church hymns
that tell of the Holy Child
bring joy to our hearts
and smiles to our faces.

Instead, we wait
for love
Beautiful love
that arrives at Winter's start
makes eyes shine
and shows the heart's true spirit.

Instead, we wait
for December
a chilly month,
yet the happiest month.

Tales of goodwill fly,
songs of joy are sung,
and bells are rung
In December.

#paperbirdq&a

Discovered this a minute ago and decided to do it XD

So my sister sharpened a pencil and discovered that she could make the resulting shaving REALLY long, which resulted in actually looking very pretty, like a rose. My photographer's creative eye thought that it would make a good picture, so I posed the pencil shaving with a couple of pencils and thought it looked great, so I made it my pic. XD Opinions?

Published.

Hmm. Well, I watched Alien when I was 9 years old (bad decision on my part XD), but that actually wasn't that bad...I'm not sure there's actually BEEN a movie that scarred me for life yet. It'll probably happen sometime...

Mixtape

Awesome Mix Vol. 1

Music; an impossible combination of banging, strumming strings, and the human voice. So confusing, yet so wonderful. And most Americans will spend an average of 32 hours per week listening to it. Most people also have a "soundtrack to their life", filled with songs that mean a lot to them, songs that helped them through a time of their life, and songs that they simply love.

This is mine.

1. Candlelight Eyes by Alan Gogell (Years 0-3). This is a wordless tune, somewhat repetitive yet beautiful and inspiring. But how fitting is this for a baby, eh?

2. Free to Be Me by Francesca Battistelli (Years 4-5). A bright, happy tune telling about the singer and what she can do. The anthem of a 4-year old, you can't deny this. We were living with our great-grandmother at this time, so I was especially close to her then.

3. Born to Be Free by Moriah Peters (Year 6). Truly a song of...

THE RESULTS OF EARLY PEARL'S SECOND CONTEST!

Alrighty peoples, judging is over and the results of my second contest are IN!
It was VERY hard to choose between all 12 of the entries that I got. All of them were so amazing and well-written! Anyway, ONWARD!

First place goes to...
Silver Pen with their absolutely awesome piece, Paradox
This piece was so cool. The formatting and the language are wonderful. Like some readers said, you have to read it several times before you understand it (which I'm guessing is the point haha.), but once you DO get it, you're just completely in awe! It's such an amazing piece. Go read it! 

Silver Pen will receive...
3 reviews on pieces of their choice
5 likes on random pieces
A shout-out + message to follow
A follow from me!

Congratulations, Silver Pen! Leave your review requests (if you have any, otherwise reviews will be random) in the comments!

Second place goes to...
Mary Wall with her amazing piece ...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before this piece, please! :D

Wow, I’m really sorry we haven’t talked in a while. But, you know, I’m the main character now. Even though I’ve been them for about a week or so now, my mind is STILL blown. Anyway, I think the writer wants to make something happen to me pretty soon. 

I think they want me to be the love interest of someone. But I don’t want to!

I think I love someone else, and you know them. 

OH M'GOSH IT"S HERE

Sorry for this random-ness, but MAJOR FANGIRL MOMENT. It's slightly aimed at rosemarywisdom, fellow Marvel nerd. :) (3

THE
AVENGERS

TRAILER
IS HEREE!!
AND 
IT
HAS
A
TITLE!!!!

Go look it up! Right! Now!

EARLY PEARL'S CONTEST UPDATE!

Hey-o, peoples!

Quick update. My contest deadline was yesterday, so all pieces entered DECEMBER 5TH and EARLIER are in judging! Winners will be announced on December 10th! Thank you to all entrants, and good luck to everyone (because I haven't read them yet, lol!) :D

Random Question

EDIT: XD You guys have great ideas! I can totally use those sometime. But I mean something that you would say, like "The rooster flies at midnight" or something, but a little less dumb, lol. Thanks again! :D

OKAY Y'ALL I HAVE A WEIRD QUESTION FOR YOU

What's a thing that could be a secret password/code for an organization? I'm kind of in need of it right now for a story. 

Thanky all! :D
- Early Pearl 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

Hey-o writers! Just a quick reminder that IT IS THE LAST DAY to enter this contest! So if you want to enter, enter soon! I already have about 12 entries, but any more are welcome :D

Okay y'all, I'm hosting another contest! :D This one will be a flash fiction contest. I will keep re-posting this until the deadline in order to get enough entries. :)   

The Prompt - 
 - A piece that is fifty words EXACTLY, no more or no less, that describes a game. Whether it's a fictional game (like something that you wrote) or a board game (like Monopoly), a game like Tag, or a mind game (like physcological tricks), you can write about it.

The Prizes - 
 - There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners, along with two Honorable Mentions.

- First Place: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the Winners Announcement, please), 5 likes on...

And She Sang: #streetkids

Thalia was a shy, auburn-haired 16-year old girl who wore glasses with silver dots on the frames. She had no home but an alley, and her mother had died 1 year ago, leaving her all alone.
     Oftentimes, she was the one who sat in the back of the class at school, listening and diligently taking notes but never raising her hand. She would sit with her one friend, a talkative book lover named Sophie, at lunch every day and share her friend's iPod.
     On Sundays, she would attend church, sitting in the back and standing with the rest of the congregation for worship. It was her refuge. 
     However, while she was simply the poor, shy, auburn-haired girl who sat in the back of the class, Thalia wished to be someone else. At the age of 6, she'd heard a song played at a street concert that she and her mother had passed and begun...

#tenwords

She watched the smoke float upward, face wet with tears. 

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before this piece, please. :)

My thoughts are totally scrambled right now. My sister just went off to college (and got over the breakup plot twist), so the writer just made me the main character! Me, just the lowly sibling of the original main character! I can’t believe this!

I have no idea what I’m supposed to do. How do they expect me to do this?? I’m going crazy! I bet you’ve never had to deal with anything like this, anything this big.

Wait, you have??? Will you help me? 

I really need someone I trust right now. 

Amber: Prologue

Avery Darilo stood under the streetlamp, her baby brother Chozyn in her arms and a backpack over her shoulder. Should she really go through with this? She was realizing that she hadn’t really thought it through too well. Finally she shook the doubt from her mind and stepped forward, leaving her neighborhood father behind with each step.

Why was she doing this? It was a long story. Avery’s family was in the midst of financial despair, and her parents’ faces had creases etched into their foreheads, always worrying about the money to take care of the family. They’d sold the majority of their furniture and moved into a small house, but it still wasn’t enough. So Avery had made a plan.

Her grandmother lived in Amber, Colorado, and she had told Avery that she could visit anytime. Of course, they hadn’t had Chozyn yet then. But Avery was sure that it wouldn’t affect her plan: She...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before the piece, please :)

Well, the plot twist came and went, and it didn’t really affect me. It was just that my sister’s boyfriend broke up with her. Now I have to deal with her crying every ten minutes. I mean, I feel bad for her, but it’s SO annoying. 

I’ve never had someone I could love that much. Except my family, obviously. But I don’t think they count. I guess words on a page don’t really have to love. 

But I wish I could. 

Maybe some day I will. 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

- First Place: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the Winners Announcement, please), 5 likes on random pieces I really love, a shout-out in my Message From Writer box, and a follow if I'm not already following you.

- Second Place: 2 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

Okay y'all, I'm hosting another contest! :D This one will be a flash fiction contest. 

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

- Second Place: 2 reviews on pieces of your choice (link in the comments of the Winners Announcement, please), 3 likes on random pieces I really love, a shout-out in my...

EARLY PEARL IS HOSTING ANOTHER CONTEST!

The Prompt - 

The Prizes - 

My December Writing Competition 2018

Instead, We Wait

For most, December means Christmas.
But not
for us.
We aren't holiday people.

Instead, we wait
for snow
Glorious, shining snow
that covers our shoes
soaks our ankles
and silvers our hair.

Instead, we wait
for hymns
Loud, rolling church hymns
that tell of the Holy Child
bring joy to our hearts
and smiles to our faces.

Instead, we wait
for love
Beautiful love
that arrives at Winter's start
makes eyes shine
and showing true spirit.

Instead, we wait
for December
the coldest month
yet the happiest month
tales of goodwill fly
songs of joy sung
bells rung
In December.

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before this piece :)

I think my writer’s about to hit a plot twist in my story. It makes me a little nervous. Do you think I should be? Technically words on a page don’t have a reason to be nervous. 

What if it’s bad? What if I die? No, that won’t happen. I’m still important, even if I am just a supporting character. 

But I feel suspicious now, and I don’t know why. Probably just because I don’t know what’s about to happen. 

I’m so glad I can trust you. You’re the only one I think I can believe. 

Thank you.  

The Many Mispronunciations of Ryan Duft: My Entry for PineappleGirl's Contest :D

Alright, PineappleGirl, prepare to fall off your fuzzy chair you sit on when you eat grilled cheese, because you are about to 
crack
up!

So, I go to a virtual/online school. You do all of your lessons online, and for class periods (which are not every day), you go to an Adobe Connect classroom. One day, me and my brother Liam went to a social LiveLesson (that's what they call them) that was just for our grade.

This particular LiveLesson was the funniest I've ever been to.

Now, the Adobe Connect rooms have this weird feature where it lets you change your name as long as you can see it. My brother absolutely loves this feature. So he changed his name to "Cheezboiga" (which he pronounces as "Cheese-boy-guh". But our teacher, Mr. Duft (who never seemed to really understand what was happening), didn't...quite...see it that way. "Who is 'Cheezbioga (cheese-bee-oh-guh)'?" he asked the class, profoundly confused. 

Thankfully, no one had...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Read the footnotes before you read this piece :)

​Ya know, my life really isn’t that bad, it’s just my backstory. Like my life used to be bad. But now I don’t have to worry about everything that happened then. Heck, I barely have to worry about what’s happening now; the writer takes care of all that!

Of course, it’s still disappointing to think about how you can do whatever you want, but it’s not so bad now. 

Thanks for for being so willing to listen to me. 

I wish I could hug you. 

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Oh, um...hi. I’m a little surprised you’re still talking with me, you know, after earlier. What I said. I’m sorry about all that. 

I’m just so tired of being the one manipulated, by the writer, by my sister the main character, and even by myself. So I kind of just lashed out. 

I hope we can still be friends. 

Library Magic

House of Books

The library is my favorite place to be. This might sound like a simple, probably exaggerated statement, but believe me when I say no way. 

As the biggest bookworm in my family, I will check out and read books by the dozen. One time I read 20 books in two weeks, and about 12 of those were read at the public library. 

Even my my first job was at the library. Every day I would get driven to the library by one of my parents and stay for four glorious hours, surrounded by books. I would survey the covers and blurbs, smiling when I came across ones I knew, and then carefully shelve them in the correct places. Some of the librarians still know me by name. 

It was a dream come true.  

Now, I go weekly and check out a self-given maximum of ten books while reading excerpts of several others while still there. I tell my brothers about...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

See the footnotes before reading this piece. :)

Boy, I’m bored today. My writer is at a boring part in my tale, and there’s nothing for me to do! I’m not even the main character; I’m just a sibling. 

What did you do all day? Something interesting, probably. You probably got to celebrate the holidays with your family yesterday, and now you need a break from the excitement. 

What, you’re surprised that I know about the holidays? I’m words on a page, not a brainless idiot.

Persevere #bothprompts

At this tender age of 4 years old
I don't know much about the world.
Yesterday my mom said "persevere"
and I was confused, truth be told.

"Mommy, what does that mean?"
I asked in my small voice.
She leaned down with a smile
and said "Are you sure? It's your choice."

I nodded brightly and she began to tell the tale
a tale of sad 
and happiness,
one remembrance won't soon fail.

A man who tries his best,
and though he barely succeeded,
he continued on and worked so hard
until finally he finished, he did.

A little bird
who's yet to fly
and continues on
until she's finally learned

A girl like me
that loves to dance, but never can
so she tries and tries, and tries and tries
until eventually she can move as gently as the sea

"Do you think you understand now?"
my mother asks gently.
I nod my head and close my eyes
and...

crack
up!

So, I go to a virtual/online school. You do all of your lessons online, and for class periods (which are not every day), you go to an Adobe Connect classroom. One day, me and my brother went to a social LiveLesson (that's what they call them) that was just for our grade.

Now, the Adobe Connect rooms have this weird feature where it lets you change your name as long as you can see it. My brother absolutely loves this feature. So he changed his name to "Cheezboiga" (which he pronounces as "Cheese-boy-guh". But our teacher, Mr. Duft, didn't...quite...see it that way. "Who is 'Cheezbioga (cheese-bee-oh-guh)'?" he asked the class, profoundly confused. 

Thankfully, no one had their webcam or their microphones on, and it was a...

Fourth Wall Love Story: Continued

Yesterday my writer hurt my heart. She gave me a backstory that I would never have guessed from how I am now. 

And it kills me. How am I living like this? 

Since I live like this, it’s interesting to think about how you must live. You don’t have a writer controlling your every move, your every thought and every word. You are free to do as you please. 

It it must be so wonderful. 
Will you tell me about it sometime?

Fourth Wall Love Story

So, I’m new here. Who are you? 
I guess I should probably tell you a little about myself first. But then, that isn’t  really possible, since I’m just words on a page. 

I will just be who I believe myself to be. 

Now you, you’re real. You are a living, breathing being who can actually do things. And you probably know a few others. You’re lucky. Ugh, it’s annoying to be so sure. 

You are annoying in your certainty. 

rosemarywisdom Q&A :D

1. Do you have a favorite line from a movie/TV show/book? Why?  
Movie line: "...Etcetera..." XD (Hedwig, Split)
Book line: "Ya know, the only real way to eat a pinecone is with tortoise gravy and a sense of self worth." (The Third Stall)(XD! This one came from my brother actually, who read the book and then told me the line. Greatest ever.)

2. Describe your ideal outfit.  
A really long, flowy gold dress that you could wear to an awards ceremony XD

3. If you could dye your hair any color, what would it be? Or would you choose to not dye it?  
I've considered putting blue streaks in my hair, but decided against it because my hair is brown...I might dye the ends blonde, or something like that. Not something super crazy.

4. What's one fandom you can theorize over for hours? (So if someone asked you "What's (insert fandom here)?", you'd go all out and explain every...

Q&A!

Hey y’all! Per the trend that’s been going around WtW (the one I’m probably late for, lol), I’m finally creating a q&a! These are really random questions, not related in any way, so prepare yourself. I’ve included my own answers here, just because I like these. Title your piece #earlypearlyq&a and post the link in the comments! :D

Okay! 

Q: Do you like/use autocorrect?
A: No way. I mean really, why does every virtual assistant think you mean “hobble” when you type “home”???

Q: How many pieces have you looked back on and cringed while reading them?
A: Definitely some...I can’t remember all of them, but there’s been at least five.

Q: How many siblings do you have, and what are you among them (oldest, middle child, etc)?
A: 3, I’m the oldest. 

Q: What is your all-time favorite movie quote? Also tell what movie and character it’s from, bonus points if you know the actor! :D
A: “ (sorrowfully)...So...

Hide and Seek: Chapter Three

Carson had woken up and began to be obnoxious again. He cracked Rhiel up by making weird faces, but when he sent a snot rocket in the direction of Willow’s book, their parents had made him call it quits. He’d sat, annoyed, for the next 10 minutes before pulling out a book of his own. They read in silence for another 45 minutes before pulling the car into the large parking lot of a hotel. They looked up from their books at the giant building and smiled. “Whoa!” Willow said, her jaw dropping. It was the biggest hotel she’d ever seen. “Is this where we’re staying?” “Yup,” her father replied. Carson pumped his fist in the air and headed to the trunk to get his backpack. Unlike Willow, Carson had chosen to pack all his entertainment materials into the back pockets of the seats in the car.
     They headed into the hotel, bogged down with their luggage. “One room,...

#reptilianQ&A

What's your zodiac sign, and do you think it fits you? If not, is there a different sign that you think would fit you better?  
I'm Cancer, but I don't really pay attention to them so I don't know if it fits XD

2. What's the time right now where you are?  
11:01, Central Time.  

3. How many languages do you speak? Ones you're learning or half-learned a year ago but kinda forgot about count too.  
English (duh, lol), some Spanish, very small amount of French. :P I need to continue Spanish and French. 

4. What's the last movie you saw, and what did you think of it?  
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Holy crap I died laughing! Martin Freeman is great in it. I'd intended to read the book beforehand, but didn't get the chance, so I'm reading it now.

5. What's the first song that comes to mind as you're reading this question?  
Ummm...what? XD The song...

A Letter From The Unwritten Characters

Dear writers everywhere,

Everyone has a reason to write, we know. Whether it's for yourself or for others, we understand.

But we want out! We want our stories told. We can't be stuck in your heads forever. The things we want to do and the things we need to do won't happen unless you make it happen. 

Even our families, our baby brothers and sisters, cousins, parents, and grandparents, won't live forever. So help us get out while we can, otherwise we will wither and fade, and our stories will never be told. 

So please do us a favor: Tell our stories for us. Sometimes we'll fight you, and sometimes we'll obey. But we will always want our stories told.

Sincerely,
The Unwritten Characters

P.S. We thank you for having the ideas of us, even if we're not out yet.

Hide and Seek: Chapter Two

When she nervously went outside to get back in the car later, she glanced around and saw no sign of the man anywhere. Thank goodness for that, she thought. She strapped her seatbelt in and looked back out the window. Then to her horror, she saw him right outside the door of the building! She’d just left the building a second ago, and he hadn’t been anywhere; it was impossible! She turned back around and took a deep breath. You’re just seeing things, Willow, you’re just seeing things, she assured herself. She left her books in her bag this time and payed attention to what her family was doing.

She was woken up to Rhiel crying 4 hours later. “Oh, Rhiel,” Willow said sleepily. Her twin was still asleep, and her mother was close...

Novel Writing Competition 2018

Hide and Seek: Chapter One

Chapter One 
“Willow, why aren’t you dressed yet? We’re leaving in half an hour!” Willow’s mother told her, exasperated. Willow pulled herself up off of the couch reluctantly. She was not looking forward to this trip. She’d been informed 2 months ago that they would be traveling to Des Moines, Iowa to help her aunt with her wedding. Having never really met her aunt, except once at a birthday party for someone else she didn’t really know, she was happy for her, but didn’t really see the point in going to the wedding at all. She didn’t even know her!

Despite her annoyance, Willow went upstairs to her bedroom and pulled on an unstained t-shirt and a pair of leggings. She brushed back her short, curly brown hair into a ponytail and stuck her feet into a pair of flats. There, she thought, looking at her reflection in the mirror. That should satisfy Mom. “Did you brush...

Censored

The cry of stories never told,
sadness brought through parts ripped from a whole

Told not to say the words inside your head
driving you to madness

Finally farewells are exchanged,
tears are shed

Before walking off
into
the
sunset.

Novel Writing Competition 2018

Hide and Seek: Chapter One

Chapter One

Where's The Cat? (Written for CageySagey234's Contest)

Where is my cat?
She's disappeared 
into the great unknown,
and I think she stole my hat.

My baby brother seems to know,
as every time I think aloud
he giggles
as if for show.

"What did you do with her?"
I ask with eyebrows raised,
but he only grins,
his clothing covered with fur.

I feel around under the couch, 
seeking for my ball of fur,
but instead I find a tack.
"Ouch!"

Finally I give up and grab her favorite food
it always brings her back to me,
without a doubt, 
this is true.

"Aha!" I shout after shaking the bag.
She's appeared right in front of me,
my hat in her mouth,
looking as though she'll sag.

"You naughty kitty, how could you do that?"
I cry, picking her up and holding her tight.
"You know you can't hide away,
especially with my hat."

#flower

Written for SomeFormOfWriting's contest! This was most definitely NOT how I thought this piece would turn out. But it's what happened, and I actually like it a lot. I hope you do too! :D

Dahlia was, quite literally, a dahlia. She had as many faces as the flower for which she was named. Despite her beauty, this was not a good thing. The multi-faceted person consisted of treachery, lies, and betrayal. Even her beauty was stolen from the perfect, innocent dahlia flower: the lovely red of her hair a dead ringer for flower petals, the green of her usual dress the stem. 

And despite the monstrosities in her past, she was loved. Her neighbors, her classmates, even the little squirrels that ran past when she walked in the park adored her. Clearly none of them knew what she'd done. But I did. I knew every awful thing that had happened because of her, every horrible betrayal. Everything.

And I...

Amber: Prologue

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step… - Lao Tzu, Chinese Philosopher

Prologue

Her grandmother lived in Amber, Colorado, and she had told Avery that she could visit anytime....

Amber: Prologue

Prologue

CatherinelyMesQ&A

1. Have you ever found yourself questioning your sexual preference when you met someone? If so, who? 
Nope.

2. Complete which one pairs with your gender (or body type) 
    a. Girls - Have you ever gotten your period and bled through really bad in a public place? 
Thankfully no, lol! Only at home.

3. How many people have you dated, and what is the numbers?
Actually, I have never gone on a single solitary date XD Soon maybe, but not yet!

4. What do you think of this pun? 
    "What was Forrest Gump's password? 
    1forest1." (If you don't get it say it out loud lol) 
Oh m'lord. XD

5. Who is your favorite YouTuber? 
Ehhh...if I HAD to pick one it would be Julian Smith or Rhett and Link (I like the funny stuff haha). Or for music videos, it would be OK Go, because HOLY CRAP, their videos are insaaaane.

6. What song...

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game?

Should I ask her? Lynn Thomas thought. She was lying in bed on a Thursday morning before school, wrestling with an idea. “Lynn!” her mother called from downstairs. “Come get breakfast and grab your backpack or you’ll be late for school!” I’ll ask her after school. Lynn decided. She crawled out of bed and rubbed her eyes, then headed downstairs. At the table, she discovered that her mom had made mini chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. “Mom!” Lynn said, happily surprised. “I thought you saved these only for special occasions!” Her mother turned and smiled. “Usually I do.” She answered. “But, just this once, I decided to make them for you, because remember, the day that starts the month before the Game is considered a national holiday, which counts as a special occasion.” Then her smile turned to a frown. “You aren’t dressed yet?” Lynn looked down at her pajama top...

Personal Essay Competition: Making Change

On a Mission(s) to Change the World

I was young, only 13 years old, when I knew what I would be when I grew up. I was sitting at my desk, drawing, and for some odd reason, thinking about the future, what I would do, what I would be. Would I be an author, always my plan? Would I visit France and become a mime, something I'd never even considered? Then suddenly a thought struck me: Maybe I should go into missions

I've forever wanted to change the world for the better. A missionary changes the world for God. How could I do that? I had always been a PK, a preacher's kid, and also a preacher's grandkid, and growing up, I'd read books about Corrie Ten Boom and Gladys Aylward, famous missionaries in the past. Both of them were amazing, inspiring people, and they brought the Lord to people in China and during WWII. But, leaning on my writing talent for my future career, I'd...

The Winners of Early Pearl's Contest!

Hey-o writers!

Thanks so much for all of your entries! They were all amazing, and you better believe I read them all. I loved them! It was very hard to choose a favorite. But finally I decided!

The prizes 
First Place: 3 reviews on pieces of your choice (post links in the comments, please :)) and a follow if I'm not already.
Second Place: 2 reviews (comment the links, please), and  I will also like four of the pieces that I like best.
Third Place: 1 review (comment the link please) and likes on 2 pieces that I like best. 

And now, the moment we've all been waiting for- The winners! 
*drumroll drumroll drumroll*

First place winner is Remember #AStorysNumberLine by Anha
After reading the footnotes I saw that the piece was somewhat inspired by The Curious Incident of The Dog In the Nighttime. I haven't read that book, but after reading this piece, I think I just might,...

Dancing Shoes

Dancing shoes
are a thing of the past,
are they not?

Our grandmothers would dance in them,
get their toes stepped on 
by the cute boy two seats over
when they tried to waltz in Gym class.

Now they sit in the attic,
growing dusty with age
under layers of wrapping paper
and spiderwebs.

One day,
I think I'll take them out,
maybe put them on
and try a step or two
in dancing shoes.

#FlyOfStriped

1. What line from a TV show/movie/book has stuck with you and why? 
There's a lot of them, so I really can't answer this, XD!

2. Which fandom can you talk and theorize over for hours? If you don't have a fandom, why not? 
The Marvel Cinematic Universe or Sherlock!! Love 'em both too much!

3. Who's your favorite singer, and what's your favorite album by them? If you don't have a favorite singer, why not? 
Top 2 favorites are Adele and All Sons and Daughters. Favorite Adele album is 19 (her first and absolute best! Listen to it sometime. :D), and favorite All Sons and Daughters song (not sure about a fave album haha.) is You Have Called Me Higher.

4. Best kind of pizza? If you don't like pizza, why not? 
CHEEEEESE!!! Or Hawaiian!!

5. Favorite color? Why is this your favorite color? 
Gold! I love bright colors.

6. Do you like a certain boy band? If not, why not? 
Never! Because *baaaarf* XD...

#WeAreUnnamed: Alisha, Dahlia

Try and guess who is who =) Two sections were written one after the other about each girl. 

She is the shy one.
Her notebooks are her best friends.
Her writing is secret, hers and hers alone.

She sits alone at school.
Her class strategy is to write.
Her notes are not notes, but stories.

She is the courageous one.
Her family is exhausted by her.
Her mind is just as confused as everyone else.

She laughs aloud at every word.
Her bravery can prove to be a problem later.
Her life is fulfilling.

Early Pearl is Hosting a Contest!!

EDIT: So sorry for the vagueness, haha. I'm not very good at this yet, am I? I've edited it here.

Hey-o writers! I am officially hosting 
my
first
contest!!

You can choose between two prompts which are: Write a series of short chapters that each start with a number (for example: Chapter One, First Day. Chapter Two, Second Life. Etc., etc.) with a word count limit of 1,500 words.

OR

Write a short story that starts with the sentence "It was a perfect day in Insert Month Here, beautiful as could be. But that was also the day that Insert Name Here died." with a word count of 1,000 words.

Oh, and FYI, I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE World War II fiction! You will have a better chance of winning if you do that. =)

Due date will be October 15th, and I will announce winners on October 17th. Title your writing either #AStorysNumberLine (for the first prompt) or #BeautifulDayWithADarkSide...

Early Pearl is Hosting a Contest!!

Hey-o writers! I am officially hosting 
my
first
contest!!

You can choose between two prompts which are: Write a series of short chapters that each start with a number (for example: Chapter One, First Day. Chapter Two, Second Life. Etc., etc.) OR write a short story that starts with the sentence "It was a perfect day in Insert Month Here, beautiful as could be. But that was also the day that Insert Name Here died."

Prizes are TBD. I think I'll hold a vote to see what people prefer! Tell me in the comments what you would want the prize to be, and I will choose the one that people seem to want the most. :D

Good luck all! =)

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game? 
Should I ask her? Lynn Thomas thought. She was lying in bed on a Thursday morning before school, wrestling with an idea. “Lynn!” her mother called from downstairs. “Come get breakfast and grab your backpack or you’ll be late for school!” I’ll ask her after school. Lynn decided. She crawled out of bed and rubbed her eyes, then headed downstairs. At the table, she discovered that her mom had made mini chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. “Mom!” Lynn said, happily surprised. “I thought you saved these only for special occasions!” Her mother turned and smiled. “Usually I do.” She answered. “But, just this once, I decided to make them for you, because remember, the day that starts the month before the Game is considered a national holiday, which counts as a special occasion.” Then her smile turned to a frown. “You aren’t dressed yet?” Lynn looked down at her pajama top and...

#AnhaContest

I picked Red Thread for my prompt. =)

This red thread
Sewn in
It reminds me of the life
I had before

This red thread
Among the white
Tells me who I am
The one that remains
when the others fade

This red thread
When the others are gone
Lost forever to me
Lets them live again

This red thread
is the reason
I press on
to let them stay 
to remind me
who to be

#cwcrandomq&a

Q: What TV show did you watch as a kid? 
A: My absolute favorite ever was (and still is, haha) Spongebob Squarepants! Another one, even though it's pretty old, was Full House. We watched a lot of Nickelodeon.

Q: Should pineapple be on pizza? 
A: Um, is this even a question? Yeah!

Q: If there must be a word limit on a prompt/contest, what is your favorite length to write? 
A: I write novels and poems, so for a poetry prompt/contest, it would probably be about 200-400 words. For a novel...my current one is 14,000+ words, so probably like 30K, haha. But we all know that won't happen, will it?

Q: Why is your username the way it is? 
A: Early Pearl is the name of the main character from one of my top 10 favorite books, Hold Fast by Blue Balliet. Thought the name was gorgeous and it's now my screen name everywhere! 

Q: What are your taste in...

On a Mission(s) to Change the World

I was 13 years old and sitting at my desk, drawing. For some odd reason, I was thinking about the future, what I would do, what I would be. Would I be an author, always my plan? Would I visit France and become a mime, something I'd never even considered? Then suddenly a thought struck me: Maybe I should go into missions

I've always wanted to change the world for the better. A missionary changes the world for God. How could I do that? I had always been a PK, a preacher's kid, and also a preacher's grandkid, and growing up, I'd read books about Corrie Ten Boom and Gladys Aylward, famous missionaries in the past. But, leaning on my writing talent for my future career, I'd never really considered following in their footsteps. When I had that thought, I felt called to Africa or Mexico especially. 

For some reason, I felt nervous to tell anyone. But when I...

Inches of Life

I woke up one morning to the sound of very small voices. What on earth is that? I thought. I didn’t have any brothers or sisters, so I knew that couldn’t be it. And birds didn’t sound like PEOPLE. I looked through my bedroom; I’d had a small toy that talked when I was about five. But then I realized: We’d put that in the attic when I turned ten! What could the noise be? I decided to check outside. I looked over our garden, but all I saw there were a couple of butterflies and some aphids that I flicked off my milkweed plants. “Hey!” I head. My head whipped toward the sound. “Where are you? WHAT are you?” I said.

Then I thought of something. “Katelyn, is that you?” My best friend was a great ventriloquist and loved to pull pranks with her talent. “Who’s Katelyn?” the voice said. I glanced over at the tree, prepared to jump...

#cwcbucketprompt

You are a bucket.

What do you mean?

That is you, a bucket.

But why? How?

Because you are.

Oh, come on!

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game? 

Compare and Contrast Prose Poem(s)!

I had to write a compare and contrast essay for school, but my teacher let me write poems instead. :D :D :D I was supposed to compare and contrast a time "when I lived up to someone else's expectations" and a time when "accepted my own identity".
So this is what I wrote! 

POEM #1: Someone’s Else’s Expectations
Sitting on the couch at church
waiting for the cymbal ring
Then Nikki shows up at door
announcing “Zoe, Joely, come with me!”

Reluctantly I follow
knowing this can’t be good
She wasn’t sent to live with us
for simply where she stood.

Back and back, farther we go
through all the basement’s doors
until we finally come upon
what she’s been looking for.

What could this possibly be,
I think, why is this so big
All this trouble, all this hiding
for a stupid bag of chips?

Then I realize what she’s doing
and quickly set it down
“Nikki, these are...

This I Believe

What Do I Believe?

I believe in the hope of heaven,
God smiling down on us,
inviting us to his table
and to his home.

I believe in true love,
eyes meeting
hands touching,
two souls
becoming one.

I believe in craziness,
the ones who share
the fantasies of their souls
and announce their ideas
without a thought.

I believe in somehow changing the world
a thing that comes to mind miraculously
and makes a difference
in the lives
of millions.

I believe.

Where I'm From

I Am From Life

I am from
the stories of my heart
the pencil in my hand
releasing word after word
and explaining
life

I am from
music and sweetness
dancing around the kitchen
with the smell 
of chocolate in the air
and music notes singing
life

I am from
playful evenings
gathered 'round the table
games playing out before our eyes
loudly laughing
life

I am from
quiet afternoons
spent sitting with the dog
stroking ears
and smiling at the looks
she gives me
saying
life.

The Game (working)

Chapter One: Mom, Can I Enter the Game?

Science Fiction Competition 2018

Stultorum Captionem (working title)

CHAPTER ONE: And We’re Off
Where are they?
They’re nearly at the rendezvous point.
How much longer?
It won’t be long now.
And you’re sure they will be coming alone?
Yes. The package will no doubt be slightly nervous and excitable with no chaperones around.
Good. This ensures that the plan will work.
They’ve arrived at the rendezvous point, sir. They’re entering the transport.

“Yes, Mom,” Addison Larone said, grinning good-naturedly. “I have my phone, my ticket to get back, and all my clean underwear.” She laughed. They were standing in the airport in Portland, Oregon with Addison’s friends Lilyanne Murphy and Cady Corisa, plus Cady’s mom, who’d brought them there, and they were leaving for a two week sleepaway camp in California. Over the intercom, a woman said “The flight to Anaheim, California will be leaving in 20 minutes. Please board now as the gate will close in 5 minutes. Thank you.” Addison hung up her phone, where...

Novel Writing Competition 2017

Hiding From Hitler (NaNoWriMo Edition)

Please read the notes at the bottom before the story itself! They explain things you might not understand otherwise.

Chapter One: Ava

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and Levi, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is." The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Abby's face. I...

The Art of Specificity

Gymnast

1) The girl ran and jumped, then flipped in the air and landed on the mat.
2) The girl ran, her long hair flying behind her, then jumped forward and flipped midair, landing on the mat perfectly.
3) The short girl ran, her long, dark hair flying behind her, then leapt forward and executed a perfect mid-air flip. As she came out of the flip, she nailed the landing, her feet solidly landing on the mat.

Prologue

Prologue
I looked at the photo in my hands, printed on the only photo paper in the city. Being one of the top families here, we were some of the very few that could afford it. There were clear skies that day, and we stood in our thick, fluffy scarves, hats and coats on top of the huge boulders in the park, pretending to hold the sun on our shoulders. My little brother was only 5 at the time, still not old enough to avoid the lisp from his missing two front teeth, and I only 11. It was only a week before my tenth birthday. Only a week before the storm that ruined everything.

Why I Write

Writing Because...

I write to explain to the world all the strange things that go on inside my head. I write to get thoughts on paper. I write to prove a point and to make sense of the world. Writing brings together past and present and turns the littlest things into the biggest. 

Answer to Riddle!

As most of you probably know by now, I posted not too long ago a piece called "Riddle!". Here is the answer!

The answer is (drumroll, please!) William! William only bought the one lone cup, so after they all used their cups and they were washed, William had all of his cups, whereas everyone else only had some of them. 

Congratulations to all of you who guessed correctly, and for those of you who guessed Angela, I apologize, I made a typo and gave her the wrong number of cups in the cabinet.

Ask Michael

Quick Question

How long does it usually take to finish a novel and get it published?

Desk

Off-white now 
from months of use 
with all manner of stuff
that cannot seem
to be cleared
piled upon it

A staple stuck into one end 
from a young one 
who couldn't think through
what he was doing

A whiteboard on the wall
surrounding by tacked-up papers
and with a face scribbled on it
in cartoon fashion
by one who couldn't draw

In the cabinet a notebook
or three
along with a book of poems
and a scrapbooking kit

In the drawer
a pile of pencils and pens
mixed with some erasers
sticky notes and a ruler

Beside it a chair
shiny white
with gaps in the back
and decorative holes in the seat
giving it an industrial glow

All this sitting on a shiny wood floor
stained in a dark brown
desperately needing swept
and cleared of things

All this surrounded by 3 more desks
one needing cleaned
another somewhat organized
and the last as messy as the first
...

Riddle!

I have had this made-up riddle bouncing around in my head for a while, so here it is!

4 children go to a fair and each buy a set of hand-painted cups. The first child, Angela, buys a set of 2. The second child, Jack, buys a set of 4. Lillian, the third child, buys 3. And the last child, William, buys only a single cup. Each child agrees that they will keep them at one house, in one cabinet. The next time they get together for homework, each of them uses one of their hand-painted cups. After Jack, William, and Lillian leave, the amount of cups that can fit in their dishwasher are washed. When it is emptied, Angela has 2 cups in the cabinet, Jack has 3, Lillian has 2, and William has his one cup. Who has the most cups in the cabinet?

Can you solve it? I will post the answer in another piece later, once...

Lera, Princess of Nial

Princess. A word usually used to describe someone dressed in frilly cloths and a crown. Not me. I travel the lands with my father, the King. I claim it for my kingdom. I don't speak perfectly, and I don't act like I just graduated from an etiquette school. I am envied by every other princess in the world. I fight, and I won't hesitate in the most unimaginable of situations. I've hung on the edge of a cliff and out-swam a jellyfish in the Great Barrier Reef. I am fearless. I am daughter of the King. I am Lera, Princess of Nial.

Sweet Dreams, My Child

As night draws near,
the moon comes out,
cicadas begin to sing,
and stars glitter in the sky.

In every house on the block,
showers and baths are taken,
bedtime stories are read,
children are tucked in.

I bid you farewell,
sweet dreams,
until morning,
my child.

The Boy With Cardboard Socks

There once was man with cardboard socks,
and he lived inside a box,
and the box was inside of a cardboard house,
and inside the house was a little white cardboard mouse.

With his cardboard socks, in his cardboard bedroom,
he had a pair of cardboard rain boots,
which he put on over his cardboard socks,
and then he went out for a rainy day walk.

On his rainy day walk, he stomped in some cardboard puddles,
but he got some mud on his cardboard rain boots, and felt a little bit muddled,
so he stomped in another cardboard puddle to clean them off,
and after he did, he went on his way to talk to his neighbor, who was named Roff.

"How do you do?" his neighbor Roff asked him, as he walked by in his cardboard rain boots,
"I am doing very well," the man with cardboard socks said to his neighbor Roff,
"except that I and everything...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and Levi, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Abby's face. I grabbed Eve's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Beyond Reason

Why Do They Call...?

Why do they call bees, Bees, and not Efs* or Pes**?
Why do they call failure a bad thing, when it helps you be your best?
Why do they call a hand to hold just a want, when it is really a need?
Why do they call a house a home without a family to put it to the test?

Why do they call a dog man's best friend when it can be a girl's best friend too?
Why do they call differences a bad thing, when they help you be unique?
Why do they call children irresponsible, when they have just learned to take care?
Why do they call rainstorms a sad thing, when the heavens are crying with joy?

Why do they call it Mother Nature when it could just as well be Father Nature?
Why do they call mistakes horrible, when they help you learn your lesson?
Why do they call walls a barrier, when they keep...

Lexical Catharsis

The Most Cliches I've Ever Used in My Life

It was a perfect day, gorgeous and sunny, without a single cloud in the gorgeous, azure sky. Bluebirds chirped, little animals abounded, and-- Oh, get on with it? Okay. Despite all this beauty, the princess sat in her tower and wept, dreaming about the prince she wished would come and save her, and wishing the witch who imprisoned her would fall out of her one, small window. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going, she thought. I've got to figure out a way to pull the wool over her eyes. Suddenly there was a loud thump outside her window, and she ran to see what it was. A man was sitting on the ground, saying to himself, "Ouch! That's got to be the tallest tower I've ever seen!" Oh, my handsome prince has finally come for me! the princess thought. "Here! A rope to climb up!" she called, and threw one end out the window. He climbed, and...

Slow Seeing

Storm

Clouds gather as if for a meeting,
and the air begins to chill and darken.

Drops begin to fall like tears from the heavens,
eventually escalating to an ocean 
as if the bottom fell out of the Atlantic.

Winds rush, branches bend, lights go out, 
as the world takes in the awesome sight 
of the waters rising.

As the winds and the heavens rest,
the ocean calms, and the clouds begin to fade,
the sun returns, and all is calm.

The world, sprinkled with dew, sparkles as 
sunlight dances on leaves and jewels of water 
shimmer as a diamond does.

Flash Fiction Competition 2017

The Strange Beauty of Total Darkness

We were excited as anything. The first total solar eclipse across America in a century. Hardly able to concentrate on schoolwork, I barely passed my math quiz. Would it rain? There were clouds in the sky.  *We made eclipse viewers and headed outside for testing. I was incredibly nervous about accidentally looking at the sun and getting permanent eye damage. But when the 48 seconds of totality started after 2 hours, and we looked for the sun in the boxes, nothing was there! All we could see was clouds. By the time we came to that conclusion, the totality was fading. But, although we never got a glimpse, we'd had an experience we would never forget.

Hiding From Hitler

Writing Small

Lighting Stories

"Grandpa!" we called as he came through our front door on Christmas Eve. "Tell us a story!" "Yeah!" my brother called. "The Night Before Christmas!" Grandpa sat with a grin by the fireplace. He struck a matchstick to light the fire. "Okay, okay." he said. "'Twas the night before Christmas..." 

Writing Small

Lighting Stories

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

In the very heart of New York, New York, an experiment was being conducted. The biggest experiment in history. And this experiment was led by the brilliant Jared Peterson, the most well known scientist since Albert Einstein and founder of J.P. Inc. What, you ask, is this wonderful, amazing experiment led by the infamous Jared Peterson? This experiment was the creation of the LIFE CHIP. The Life Chip was a small chip that brought any inanimate object of the same...

Two Hundred Years Ago

It Still Isn't the Same

Ever since Father came back from the war, life hasn't been the same. Having Mother wake up extra early to help Father get dressed and eat breakfast. Having to watch Father struggle to pick up a book and read, and having to deal with the nervous stares of the rest of the town as we walk through to go to church or school. One day we were walking through the cobblestone streets to the store for cabbage. Father had tripped on a stone, and the rude boys of our Kansas City neighborhood laughed and pointed.

I remember the day he was drafted like it was yesterday: he came home with a grim look on his face after stopping by the post office on the way home from work.  He brought Mother into the parlor in private, where us kids couldn't hear him. Later that evening, after a nearly silent dinner full of worry at Father's news, we sat in the...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and Lucas, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Juno, The Wandering Oaf

Foreword
So, since none of you have met Juno, she is the oafliest dog you will ever meet. But despite her oaflieness, she also loves to wander the neighborhood (without permission, I might add), thus giving this story its name. This is a story of her life from her viewpoint from the time I met her. Bella is the dog we had before we got her. Roger, Juno's owner, moved and couldn't keep her, so we "traded" dogs. She obviously does not think she is a dog, she thinks she's a person. I wasn't able to do another Creature View piece, so I did it on free writing. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for reading!                  ...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Abby, and my 4 and 6 year old cousins, Eve and , were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and a bag I had packed for in case they ever discovered us, filled with food, clothes, blankets, and...

Second Chance

This is a poem by my younger sister, Joely. She doesn't have an account yet, but she will get one when she's old enough. Here it is:

My life is a leaf;
Your life is a stone.
Your heart is hard;
but mine is soft.
That's why I gave you
a second chance.

By Joely Skaggs, age 9
Pretty good for a nine year old!

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2017

Melody

Melody
Notes soaring through the air,
joining to create a song. 
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like the staccato
of raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Rising like a
sapling's crescendo
as it grows
tall and strong.
Melody
Making its voice known
through the majesty of 
a mountain or the beauty
of a snowflake.
Melody
Blooming like a flower,
notes unfolding
like a rose's petals.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2017

Melody

Melody
Notes flying through the air,
joining to create a song. 
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Rising like a sapling
grows tall and strong.
Melody
Cutting gently through the silence like a knife through butter.
Melody
Blooming like a flower, notes unfolding like a rose's petals.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.

Hiding From Hitler

Juno, The Wandering Oaf

Foreword
So, since none of you have met Juno, she is the oafliest dog you will ever meet. But despite her oaflieness, she also loves to wander the neighborhood (without permission, I might add), thus giving this story its name. This is a story of her life from the time I met her. Bella is the dog we had before we got her. Roger, Juno's owner, moved and couldn't keep her, so we "traded" dogs. She obviously does not think she is a dog, she thinks she's a person. I wasn't able to do another Creature View piece, so I did it on free writing. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for reading!                        ...

Juno, The Wandering Oaf

Foreword
So, since none of you have met Juno, she is the oafliest dog you will ever meet. But despite her oaflieness, she also loves to wander the neighborhood (without permission, I might add), this giving this story its name. This is a story of her life from the time I met her. She obviously does not think she is a dog, she thinks she's a person. I wasn't able to do another Creature View piece, so I did it on free writing. Anyway, enjoy, and thanks for reading!
                                                                   ...

Melody

Melody
Notes flying through the air,
joining to create a song. 
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.

Beyond Reason

Why Do They Call...?

Why do they call fear a bad thing, when it helps you be your best?

Why do they call 

Why do they call
Why do they call
Why do they call

Why do they call
Why do they call
Why do they call
Why do they call

Creature View

Take Cover!

The goose flies above the open field, surrounded by its family. Suddenly a shot rings out. Take cover! The geese lose all control over their "V" formation as bullets fly through the air.
The goose flies away from its family, but is followed by its sister. He leads her to a small pond he sometimes flies to when he is bored. Their remain there in hiding, until eventually their mother flies to them and leads them home. 

Creature View

Take Cover!

Writing Synapses

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE
Share at least one event from each year of your life up to and including this year!

Year 1: Birth. My cousin Rebekah came over almost every day to play with me. I also learned to "babble", or speak baby talk.
Year 2: My younger brother Liam was born, and I started to walk and become more efficient at speaking.
Year 3: My brother and I would run around the couch at our house in Springfield, Missouri, in our diapers every day for fun.
Year 4: We moved into my great-grandma's house to help take care of her.
Year 5: I started school. Me and all three of my siblings have been homeschooled, and Liam, who I'm a year and a half older than, started school a year earlier than he usually would, and neither of us took preschool, making us both currently in 8th grade.
Year 6: I had a mermaid themed birthday party...

Writing Synapses

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE

PROMPT: TIME OF MY LIFE

Year 5: I started school. Me and all three of my siblings have been homeschooled, and Liam, who I'm a year and a half older than, started school a year earlier than he usually would, making us both currently in 8th grade.
Year 6: I had a mermaid themed birthday party at Splash Cove. I don't know...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and Joely grabbed Isaiah's, and we went as quietly as possible to the hallway next to the living room....

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a card game and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our guardians were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and Joely grabbed Isaiah's, and we went as quietly as possible to the hallway next to the living...

Hiding From Hitler

It was a normal day. Me, my sister Joely, and my 5 and 7 year old cousins, Olivia and Isaiah, were sitting in my bedroom, laughing and talking. Earlier we had played a card game called "Gubs" and eaten dinner together. Suddenly, we heard a car pull into my driveway. I immediately became worried; all of our parents were already there. "Guys, all of you stay here. I'm going to see who that is."  The adults were all in the kitchen, cleaning. I walked carefully to the living room, but before I could get to the window, I heard loud banging on our front door and rough, men's voices shouting. "Oh, no..." I said under my breath. I ran back to my bedroom as fast as I could. "It's them! They're​ here!" A look of horror flew into Joely's face. I grabbed Olivia's hand and Joely grabbed Isaiah's, and we went as quietly as possible to the hallway next to...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Get Rid of Puppy Mills-Adopt From Shelters!

Over 10,000 of the dogs you see in pet stores every day come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are backyard breeders who breed dogs for profit in cramped, dirty conditions with little food or water. Because the mothers are kept in these conditions, the puppies are born with serious medical conditions such as deafness, heart and kidney diseases, and respiratory disorders. These poor dogs are sold at only 7 or 8 weeks old, 4 weeks before they should be separated from their mothers. These puppy mills should be outlawed, especial in Missouri and Illinois, which are some of the biggest puppy mill states, the dogs should be rescued and brought back to health, and be placed in loving homes where they will be treated well.

The dogs in puppy mills are commonly kept in wire cages, which sometimes are stacked on top of each other. The cages injure the feet of the dogs, and when they are not kept in wire...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Over 10,000 of the dogs you see in pet stores every day come from puppy mills. Puppy mills are backyard breeders who breed dogs for profit in cramped, dirty conditions with little food or water. Due to the poor conditions of the mothers, the puppies are born with serious medical conditions such as deafness, heart and kidney diseases, and respiratory disorders. These puppies are sold at only 7 or 8 weeks old, 4 weeks before they should be separated from their mothers. These puppy mills should be outlawed, the dogs rescued and brought back to health, and placed in loving homes where they will be treated well.

The dogs in puppy mills are kept in wire cages, sometimes stacked on top of each other. The cages injure the feet of the dogs, and when a dog is too weak, injured, or old to reproduce, the dog is put down. Shelters, on the other hand, are usually no-kill, keep the dogs...

Ice+Storm=Ice Storm

Ice
Water pouring forth from sink or sky
Droplets falling into molds or potholes
Then freezing as the cold sets in.
Storm
Clouds in the darkest shade of gray
rolling in and releasing a raging sea of water
in all different forms, causing gutters to
overflow and filling every hole.
Ice Storm
Freezing rain exploding from angry clouds
pelting and chilling all it touches,
creating a caul of frozen water
on everything in sight.

Untitled

A pen glides forth and
                                                                   releases the thoughts of the
                                                                             writer. In art or
                                                                      in writing, anger or joy, ...

Self Portrait in Words

She sits by the window, reading a book. She wears a short blue dress, a Christmas gift from her aunt. Her long hair, the color of milk chocolate with faint dark caramel highlights, is swept back into a messy bun. She is shorter than most girls her age, so wears shoes with heels to raise her height a little. Her glasses, though she likes the pink and gold bow tie design, are her least favorite feature. Then she stands, an idea having come to her mind, and walks away.

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Vac Attack

Vac Attack
                                                                     Chapter One: The Life Chip

Starting As Seeds

Starting as seeds, working their way through the earth
Baby roots grow, sucking moisture from the ground
And finally sprouting when they learn the worth
Of finding the sun’s warmth where no clouds are found,
For small leaves to appear from the place of birth.
From two small seeds they grow without one sound,
Blooming pink and yellow, they please all who see
The lovely blossoms cause all to smile with glee.

Melody

Melody
Notes flying through the air,
joining to create a song.
Melody
Instruments of an orchestra,
creating sounds of beauty
and pleasing the ear.
Melody
Smoothly gliding
like a bird in flight.
Melody
Softly falling
like raindrops on a cool night.
Melody
Pleasant dreams floating
through sleepy heads
and never drifting off.