Norah

18 | she/they | hypothetical astronaut | ekphrastic poet | haunted house

Profile picture is a painting from the Rothko Chapel in Houston
+++
I look at the moon and go: "wow, that's my wife!"
+++
Currently Reading:
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez / Who Do You Serve, Who Do You Protect? edited by Maya Schenwar

Peer Reviews

Time to Break the System

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2020

Overall, this felt like an except and not a contained story. In flash fiction we should certainly leave some things to the imagination, as I've said, we do want questions, just not broad ones. I think you've focused a little two much on atmosphere, and there needs to be more concrete world building in the first paragraph or so, maybe less dialogue. I can see you've got a story in there, and I can't wait for it to become what it's meant to become. Good luck and happy writing!

about 2 months

inflorescence

This is some great work, Jun Lei, I hope you're staying safe and best of luck on your next drafts!

5 months

the ocean and i are much too similar for my comfort, much less hers, perhaps this is why i am dead | loved and lost

PROMPT: Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2020

This poem is going places! I wish you the best of luck in the revising process.

6 months

you will always be from alabama

Please note that these are all just suggestions, but suggestions mostly made to the form and style of the piece, not it's content. This poem is already great, but has the potential to become more so, and I wish you all the best in the revising process!

6 months

we were magic once

I love this poem, your lines are original and striking. I spend a lot of time talking about the slashes that you use stylistically, but only because they were the only thing that took me out of the poem. I believe if you used them more concisely or replaced them with line changes it could work, but if they are something you love about this poem then please disregard this. This is great work and I'm excited to read more of your writing!

6 months

Jericho | (2) #writerswords2

I think I only found one of the pop-culture references :( but this piece was so fun to read, and even more fun to review because I got to look up all your wonderful symbolism! I hope my non-practicing cultural Jew(ish)ness helped out a bit!

9 months

Before the Battle Music Started There Was This

Thank you for this piece and good luck with the writing!

10 months

Authenticity; and lack thereof

PROMPT: Your View

From a poetry perspective rather than an opinion one, your second stanza was far superior to the rest of the poem, which isn't saying anything bad about the rest, just that all the hard-hitting lines were in the second stanza. This may also just be my opinion. Good luck with the writing!

10 months

melancholy becomes this mysterious man in whom destiny lives like a parasite

Well done! I love your poetry, it sings.

11 months

I am something without teeth

Keep writing, your poetry is breathtaking! Also your format is new and interesting.

11 months

transgenerational trauma: a theory

Haunting work, your writing resonated with the part of me that will always be at war with itself.

12 months

= waterfall

Well done! I'm actually just noticing that the poem is almost shaped like a waterfall and I love it!

about 1 year

A Cursed Contrivance

This is a great piece, and I enjoyed your voice while reading it. I would encourage you to read it over out loud in order to see where you have run on sentences. Vary your sentence structure!

about 1 year

The Boy Who Could Grow Anything

PROMPT: A Signature Capability

This was a lovely read, a really great example of someone taking a prompt and turning the result into something that is entirely the your own.

about 1 year

Death Is Nothing If Unexpected

I love this piece, you do a great job conveying difficult emotions. Well done!

about 1 year

i. venus

This is a truly beautiful poem. Well done!

about 1 year

Shadow

PROMPT: Fantasy Writing Competition 2019

Please feel free to disregard my comments on the Latin. Nobody will notice it's not "good" Latin unless they're me/take AP Latin. You've got the great beginnings of a story right here and I'd love to see you flesh the world and the magic out a little bit more!

over 1 year

midnight snack

PROMPT: Poetry and Spoken Word Competition 2017

I know that really positive reviews are rarely helpful, but I really couldn't fine many flaws with this work. Good luck with the writing!

about 3 years

Love

PROMPT: Universal Knowledge

I love this, your imagery is fantastic and your word choice is wonderful. However, I also wanted to write this review to thank you. You have been an inspiration and a guide on this site for many people, including myself. You were the first to follow me, and you've written a couple really lovely reviews on my work. Thank you and keep sharing your wonderful voice.

almost 4 years

Love

PROMPT: Universal Knowledge

I do enjoy this piece and believe that want is a universal language. However I also wrote this review to thank you. You have given support and encouragement to me ever since I've been on this site, and you were the first to follow me. I wanted to thank you for that and some of the absolutely lovely reviews you've done on some of my pieces. Keep using your wonderful and talented voice!

almost 4 years

three weeks ago

PROMPT: Paint Swatch

This piece just popped out as beautiful to me. It's timeless and says something of nostalgia and loss, but also memories and pumpkin patches and winter rain. I love your beautiful and specific word choice. Lovely and keep it up!

about 4 years

How do they stand it?

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2016

The last few sentences had me in awe. I like that this piece is both personal yet universal. Good luck!

about 4 years

Cybergalactic

You really spun your words into something great, with unique comparisons and imagry that really invites the reader to imagine all types of things. I loved it!

over 4 years

Glowstick

I really enjoy your writing style! As a poet who enjoys writing about nothing in particular, I can relate to the everyday subject matter. The best poems are about the little things you enjoy about life. Keep up the great writing!

almost 5 years

Dark Light Poems #1

Awesome poem, keep up the good work!

about 5 years

Nalani

Is this set in Hawaii, it seems like it. I love the beautiful description at the beginning then the suspense and action towards the end. Keep writing!

about 5 years

Elaria

PROMPT: Invisible Cities

I loved the vivid description and lush imagery, the city was haunting and stunning. Great work!

about 5 years

Fairy Lights

PROMPT: Personal Narrative Competition 2015

This was beautiful, you have made so many people feel what you felt that night. It's magical.

about 5 years

Olinda

PROMPT: Invisible Cities

I'm also curious about what's so special about this city, I love the description, but it seems alarmist frozen in time, I'd love to hear more about this concept. Overall, wonderful work, I love this city!

about 5 years

Look, But Don't Touch

I loved how you combined vivid imagery and fantasy to teach a lesson. There is a moral, but there is also the moving death of a character we barely know, yet mourn anyway. I started the story with expectations of beauty and maybe a little bit of frolicking. Therefor I was shocked by the ending, in a good way of course. It holds beauty and sadness, I loved it. I also loved how you stand up for trees by personifying them.

about 5 years

man on the moon

PROMPT: Lunar Phrases

This poem is really a great story in itself, telling us this tale in only a few lines. It also flows well and have a nice rhythm, which I appreciate.

about 5 years

Warehouse Wandering

PROMPT: Fantasy Writing Competition 2015

over 5 years

Musicbox of Generations

I found that especially in the first paragraph, the adjectives started to get a bit tedious. Maybe you could find different ways to describe things? Sometimes you use "Alexander" to close to another "Alexander. Overall, I loved it.

over 5 years

The King of Stone

I'm at a loss for words, this was a beatiful, vivid piece! I loved it...truley. It is an emotionally moving and visualy appealing story. Thanks for letting us read it!

over 5 years

The Waterfall

Loved this! Intriging. It made me want to get to know that Clancy character a bit better. I think it could stand alone, but some background info would be nice.

over 5 years