Img 9218

Kambrie Jennings

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Animals in Captivity

Entertainment or Cruelty?
Imagine being taken from your home and put in a secluded, open-windowed room and forced to learn tricks or pose for photographs for a foreign species for their entertainment. No human would enjoy this so why do none think or care about how animals feel about this happening to them? Maybe it has to do with humans’ instinct of thinking our species is superior to all existing species. For hundreds of years earth’s natural animals have been captured and controlled for human entertainment in events such as circuses and zoos. These places make seeing these animals easier because these businesses are rather cheap and local, opposed to the price of a few plane tickets to see them in their natural habitats. Humans’ selfish needs such as these tend to take over and block out the signs that these needs are resulting in the abuse and downfall of a whole other species. 
    The use of circuses...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Animals in Captivity

Entertainment or Cruelty?
Imagine being taken from your home and put in a secluded, open-windowed room and forced to learn tricks or pose for photographs for animals for their entertainment. No human would enjoy this so why do none think or care about how animals feel about this happening to them? Maybe it has to do with humans instinct of thinking our species is the superior to all. For hundreds of years earth’s natural animals have been captured and controlled for human entertainment in events such as circuses and zoos. These places make seeing these animals easier because these businesses are rather cheap and local, opposed to the price of a few plane tickets to see them in their natural habitats. Humans selfish needs such as these tend to take over and block out the signs that these needs are resulting in the abuse and downfall of a whole other species.
    The use of circuses for entertainment has been...