Jeremy Houle

There is no better way to improve yourself than braving your storms.
Hi, my name is Jeremy, an aspiring hero of your heart.

World traveler.

If you love someone, they deserve to know.

Peer Reviews

Atomic Smile

The fourth stanza is my favorite because it reflects on other opposite loves, summed up as 'unsaid goodbyes.' How eternally haunting those are, don't you agree? The last two lines of the poem seeped into my brain like a well seasoned brine. Honestly, I'n finding it really hard to put my feelings into words. Hopeful hopelessness. Fiery endurance. Hope Mr. Atomic finds you!

almost 3 years

Colorful Pain

I, along with almost everyone else, have struggled with depression and still periodically do. I love the colorful spin you put on it - no pun intended :) Most people only address the way you feel, like you can never get free, on and on and on, but this poem is unique and lovable in that it articulates how I used to see things in a way that I never articulated. I knew I felt this way, but I didn't 'know' I felt this way. Hearing it articulated is like the lens of my past finally coming into focus. It makes me happy to be understood. Thank you for this amazing piece! PS = that is not one giant highlight section up there. Each section has it's own notes :)

almost 3 years

She's Shy, I'm Shy

As an introvert who doesn't like crowds and is at this very moment failing to arrive at a concert I was invited to, I can say that you are spot on when it comes to an introvert's feelings and thoughts when initiating a conversation. Because you capture the picture so accurately, you must also be introverted? If you aren't, then my hat is off to you for your incredible empathy! Empathy being the ability to put yourself in another's shoes. Often when reading work on here it's hard for me to get past the "Consciously-reading-this" stage and into the story itself. I had no trouble with your piece. Thank you for a very enjoyable read! I'm excited to find a fellow Christian on here! being from Utah, are you Mormon? I was homeschooled as well.

almost 3 years

Joy

PROMPT: Emotion by Association

I really like it! I can tell that this poem came from you, specifically. What I mean is that this is a true piece of poetry. It's not a copy, it's original. Thank you for sharing!

over 3 years

One's Past May Save One's Future

PROMPT: Friendship Narrative Competition 2016

I think that you should try to get as many of the suggested edits done as possible before the deadline, but if you don't have the time to take a quick peak at each of my comments then I would at least suggest making the following quick fixes: Perhaps change the grandson's name to something a little more Jewish, or at least not something so grandson-y as Jimmy. Try to improve historical accuracy for better reader engagement. Try to improve dialogue to be more realistic and not so sticky feeling. For a little extra pop in your piece, consider adding some German into the dialogue!!! Good luck in the competition! I know the edits look like a lot of work, but don't worry! It won't take long and the end result will be awesome! Keep going!

over 4 years

Count the Stars

over 4 years

Roadkill

This was a really great piece! Welcome to Write The World, and I hope you keep writing! I really liked this piece!

over 4 years

A N T I C I P A T I O N

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2015

Great job! I visited the link, but was disappointed that it went to more of a press release type site. Does PlumpyNut have it's own?

over 4 years

Priceless: My Little Brother

PROMPT: Food Writing Competition 2015

I love seeing your compassion for your little bro! I imagine this a feeling that many can empathize with. I myself am allergic to grass- no joke- and trees and pretty much any plant you find outside, so I feel for your brother. This is a great piece with a ton of potential!

over 4 years

The Creature House

PROMPT: Novel Writing Competition 2015

I thought that you created Tony very well. A character who knows how to work his angles. A guy who is willing to sacrifice others to do what he wants. Doesn't sound like a friend I would want. Perhaps choosing this person as a friend shows that the main character was very affected by their childhood and has yet to choose who they want to become? I like this piece very much, and I have only 1 regret: I might never get to read the rest of it.

over 4 years

To Save the World

Sorry it took so long for someone to do a review on this, I just now saw it, looking all the way back to page 19 of things "seeking reviews." You asked about your male narrative voice, and, as I am a male, I feel specially qualified to quench your curiosity. (lol) I thought that both his vocal words and his thinking words reflected a guy very well. Reading his words, he seems like a professional, but not a dried-up scholar. He knows what family is about, but he also knows his duty. And he can get angry without getting out of hand. Willing to listen. Understands.

over 4 years

Borders - Part One: Truth (Chapter One)

the highlighted section there was done really well, but it makes it seem as if Lora is not familiar with Jade's house. If Lora is always picking her up, I think she would be a little more familiar with it. Perhaps the numbers are on a mailbox and they shine quite brightly, making it easier to recognize the house in the 7:30 darkness.

over 4 years

Shoes to Die For

PROMPT: Fashion Journalism Competition 2015

This is a great piece with no grammatical errors. I liked that you included specific dates (highlighted) and didn't make generalizations. You transitioned very smoothly from "yesterday's shoes" to today's shoes. I especially liked that you didn't place all the blame on the big companies, but instead handed the baton of responsibility over to the consumers. Great piece!

almost 5 years

Postrainzeit

PROMPT: Fernweh

You would know best of course, but this word does not seem to be an adverb. And adverb describes a verb. Postrainzeit in the example is describing "weather" I believe, so that would make it an adjective. I liked this word so much, I used it in a recent poem! ;)

almost 5 years

The Goblin Naraiyah

PROMPT: Fantasy Writing Competition 2015

Pretty good, just give the main character a reason to die. I always imagined slipping down a throat to be warm, snug, and slippery. A nice feeling, really. :)

about 5 years

Quiet

This is great! I like that this is dealing with the child of two people(well, not people) who shouldn't have been together, but they did anyway.

about 5 years

Derinkuyu

Xe is sorta confusing... but interesting. Keep writing! it's awesome! lol I was unable to decifer if the main character was a guy or a girl.

about 5 years

Dreams

Perhaps the girl could want to write a story with her mom? or with her mom and dad? Also, I think "Idiotic" just doesn't fit. If the step mom loved the daughter, she wouldn't have used that word, and if she hated the daughter, I think she would have used a stronger word; without hesitation. lol that all sounds kinda harsh, but it's constructive at least! :) keep writing!~

about 5 years

The King of Stone

one word: BEAUTIFUL. I am speechless, really. To take me on a journey like that is pretty impressive. Unfortunately, I believe that fate fall upon me to sadly remind you that the contest word limit is only 1,000 words. But definitely keep a copy of this! even if you do stick with this story but just edit it to make it shorter, keep the original version. it's awesome.

about 5 years

Mother's Tale

Great story! I especially appreciated the detailed description of the mother. Mysterious. Strange. But real.

about 5 years

Through the Clouds, We Shall Fly

PROMPT: Other Worldly

I appreciate you sharing your dreams! haha the novel I am working on write now was inspired by a dream.

about 5 years

Ramona's First Apparition

Pretty interesting. It leaves one with a healthy number of questions, and perhaps an unhealthy amount of suspense! haha is there any more?

about 5 years