Jacquelyn Brown

I'm a college student who is a tad too invested in music.

Hozier - Hozier Album Review

Hozier’s self-titled album is one of my favorite releases of 2014. Each song has the ability to truly make you feel some type of way. For instance, Take Me to Church uses traditionally gospel associated chords and progressions ironically against his lyrics to emphasize the injustices and hypocrisy observed from the church. Even pushing aside the introspective lyrics for a moment, solely based on the music itself, just the instrumentation, Hozier can pull, twist, and harbor emotion in a way that is fresh and meaningful. The next track on the album, Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Sea, carries on the musical tone of the previous track, but with a more subdued approach. The abrasively gentle guitar textures make the hairs on my next stand up. When the drums enter, I am forced to tap my foot along and clap on the off beats.  Hozier’s voice flows like melted butter over the layered guitars, and when the...

Album Review Competition 2015

Misterwives- Our Own House Album Review

I had the pleasure of seeing MisterWives open for twenty one pilots on the Quiet is Violent tour after I’d been jamming to the Reflections EP all summer. Ever since then, I was highly anticipating the debut album Our Own House. Truly, this album packs a punch that was hinted at in Reflections and definitely felt live. The title track completely sums up MisterWive’s sound in one kick-ass-80’s-pop-dance-jam of a song. You can no help but completely rock out to the clever guitar melodies and pounding drums. Mandy’s voice is utterly amazing and her cool and controlled vocals truly guide the song through the various intensities. She is almost begging you to sing along by the second chorus. The song also highlights the fun-loving horn lines that are definitely characteristic of Misterwives. My favorite track on the album is Queens. It is a surprisingly subdued song compared to the rest of the album, but I think a wonderful way...