KN Husna

Malaysia

In love with books, music, and the sound of pencils scratching on paper. Aspiring writer, hoping to contribute something to the world. I am generally a nice person. :) Also, if you want to be friends, my inbox is always open! - knhhadi03@gmail.com -

Everyone leads a different life, all worth writing about.

Hosting #KNContest!

Regarding #KNContest

Hello, writers~!

Thank you so much for participating in my contest. This is the last call for those who are willing to enter. I've received enough entries for the contest to continue, thank goodness, but I would appreciate it if more of you would enter! Two days left ~

I haven't read all entries yet, I haven't been active at all for the past few days, but I'm sure everyone did wonderful! If I liked your piece, it means I validated it into the contest, so if I hadn't liked your entry yet, there's a high chance I haven't seen it yet, so please inform me! I don't want to overlook any entries.

If you're interested in joining, please look through my profile for it!

Thank you and happy writing!

Contest! #KNContest

Hello, everyone!

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hereby announce the launch of my first ever contest!

For this contest, I want you to write a story that includes a group of three elements of your choice from below:
1. queen, twilight, water
2. caution, rock paper scissors, tag
3. red carpet, ring, letter

(I shuffled my playlist for these themes.)

So first, choose which group you'd like to use in your story. Nothing has to be literal. You can choose the meaning of each element, e.g. "ring" can be an accessory or boxing venue, who knows? You decide.

The rules are:
1. Abide WTW rules.
2. NO mixing elements from different groups.
3. Include #KNContest_ in your title followed by the number of prompt you choose, e.g. #KNContest_1
4. Out of the three elements from the group you picked, choose one element to make as the main theme of you entry. I'll be pinpointing this...

Drawing Flowers

Every spring morning in Winniewell's Orphanage was warm and welcoming, with sunlight rising along with the children, and flowers beaming from the polished windows. Caring for 16 children between the age of six months to eleven years, this place was always boisterous and cheerful. Enough staff took care of the poor orphans, teaching them everything they need to know and aiding them in finding their new parents.

Among the early risers was Hope, a curtain of deep brown hair with light tips cascading over her sketch as her hands worked their magic. Furrowed brows accentuate her focus, and everyone knew she shouldn't be bothered. Taking a seat next to her was Colton, finishing a warm cup of milk, gunmetal blue eyes inspecting Hope's artwork and studying the movement of her hand.

After a while, he spoke up. "Are you going out to play?"

"Not today," was her prompt answer, just like any other day.

Colton didn't flinch, however. He would...

Your View

Opinions?

1. WTW should be an app.

2. The whole "fix yourself first before fixing others" is stupid. Nobody is and will ever be perfect, but we can help others improve, and in turn, take their advise too, if it's good. So don't be scared thinking you'll be a hypocrite if you advise someone. Fix yourself while fixing others.

3. Gender and sexuality doesn't really matter to me. As long as you have a good personality, and respect others, we can be acquaintances! Or friends!

4. Bad children came from bad parenting, bad society and bad environment. None of them chose to be bad. THey don't even know what they're doing are bad! (Talking about 7-year-old and under here.)

5. The colour black is overrated.

6. Why the heck are people still trophy hunting!?

7. Jealousy is not attractive. Don't keep romanticising this, especially not when the partner gets super possessive over their partner, when before that, they never even paid...

Christine and Charlotte (sneak peek)

The last bell of the day had rang five minutes ago and the Douglass twins walked alongside their older brother Matthew across the school grounds to the primary school building. It was a warm autumn afternoon with a soft breeze brushing against their faces. Though it was just like any other day, Matt seemed a little quieter than usual. Christine, curious at her brother’s silence, nudged a little harshly at his side, causing him to jump, much to her amusement.

“Ow!” Matt clutched his side and winced in pain. “What was that for?!”

Charlotte had witnessed the scene and snorted a laugh.

Christine suppressed her own urge to laugh as she smirked up at her brother. “What’s up, Mr. Ponderous?”

Matt’s amber eyes had snapped back into focus. Before he could answer, or decide whether or not to, a silky-smooth voice called out his name from behind.

“Matthew!” They turned around to see a girl with a mane of chocolate...

Tiny Miss Lonnie

Tiny Miss Lonnie was having tea,
When the wall of her house breaks down,
She saw the main cause,
And huge furry paws,
What an enormous creature found.

Tiny Miss Lonnie scampered outside,
Where the sky was lit by the sun,
The giant caught up,
With a tiny teacup,
And away did everyone run.

The furry creature roared aloud,
Attempting to catch the little men,
It sipped some tea,
With some difficulty,
And threw the cup right then.

Tiny Miss Lonnie was very brave,
And faced the furry beast alone,
She whispered a mew,
And the kitty flew,
Right back to its home.

10 cents - 5

It all happened in a blink of an eye; the mistake I can never fix. Along had marched outside, both in concern and rage—absolute vehement fury—and Angah was begging for her to listen, but she wouldn't.

"You went to his house again, didn't you?!" Along fumed through her gritted teeth. Even in anger, she still worried about the neighbours.

Angah couldn't speak through her sobs and only shook her head violently, eyes imploring and remorseful. Along grabbed her by the wrist and tried to drag her inside, possibly to yell at her without worry, but Angah was determined to be nowhere near touching the land of the house. I stepped outside, making myself visible.

When Angah wriggled free from Along's tight clasp, Along stilled and stared at her with glassy eyes. I drew nearer to them. Shuffling footsteps and whispers told me Dad and Dewi decided to spectate too.

Stealthily, I tottered to Along's side, preparing to hold her back...

My December Competition 2017

A Different December Every Time

For most of the world, December might be the month of gifts and snow, snowmen building and sledding. For others, it might be the hottest time of the year, a time for the golden beach, the calming symphony of the waves, refreshing iced drinks and tubs of ice cream. But living on the equator means tropical climate; no summer, no winter. Any month of the year, not just December. But December is more or less like summer vacation for us--the end of school year and the longest holiday we have in a year.

Some Decembers, we travel to the west, somewhere in Europe to experience the cold winter. Not every time we went was a snow day, of course. But we enjoy being wrapped in blankets, shuffling around the house with slippers, sipping a cup of warm tea. If we were adventurous enough, we would go skiing, or sledding.

If we don't travel to northern countries to experience winter and...

Disaster

"She left her pie!"

"What!?"

Flynn jolted up from his game. He scrambled out of his bed and bolted to the door, frantically swiveling his head left and right. His mother was nowhere to be seen. Calmly, he turned around. brows furrowed in thought.

"Okay, so," he mused pacing back and forth, "she left around ten minutes ago--"

"Twelve," Riley corrected with her eyes glued to the screen, clicking away on her controller. Her jaw never stopped chewing on a mint gum.

"So if I make it to the playground trampoline and jump over the slides... given the velocity... the routine bus at 3pm..."

Riley frowned, raising an eyebrow at Noelle, who returned it with a shrug.

"Buddy," Riley interrupted, "just take another bus. It's just a pie."

Flynn gasped indignantly. "It's not 'just a pie'! It's a sacred symbol to ward off the demons bound to emerge out of that scary woman!" He grabbed his baseball cap from the...

Debt

me vs. you
walking two different paths
making all these different stories
but we know they don't last.
you breathe the future
but i choke on the past
you're on a luxury cruise while i'm fixing up my mast.

you think we're similar
i think we're unlike
'cause you can escape
i won't make it out alive.
the monsters inside
their tricks made to lure
but you don't have them 'cause they attack the insecure.

where did it go wrong?
i ask every day
you got out for free, but there's a price for me to pay?
why am i in debt
but you can get away?
why can you skip to tomorrow but i'm stuck in yesterday?

me vs. you
living two different worlds
praying they can hear our voices
all the words that we hurled.
you bear a halo
angel wings unfurled
but i'm dragged by my demons into the underworld.

10 cents - 4

---
Dad was home. It wasn't the Corolla parked inside that made me notice. It was the strong stench of tobacco lingering outside the house, almost making my eyes water. He must've been smoking while waiting for us. If he was in the house, then...

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked, giving Along a look of betrayal.

She only shrugged and gave me the side-eye. "It's still his house. Why does it need telling?"

I frowned. She knew Dad was almost never home and usually came back after spending weeks at his girlfriend's. He just came back and stayed four days here, then went out again yesterday, when all the fuss happened. 

I folded my arms. "You didn't even tell me Angah wouldn't go to school today."

Sighing, Along parked the car outside the gates. But neither of us got off the car.

"She's going through a lot right now, Riz," she said, a hint of sympathy in her...

"Assassinating" the "Immortal" - The Assassin

Here at JoyKiddos Kindergarten, there is no single mundane week. The still morning air was occupied with both joyous laughter and cries of angst as parents release their grip on their children. Little ones wail in protest as their mummies and daddies drag them upstairs, while bigger kids were shoved through the doorway to immediately meet their class teachers, who gave them no chance to speak and sat them down in their tiny chairs.

A redhead earnestly whined to his little friends about how he was just grounded by his parents for two weeks. "It's not fair! I can't watch TV anymore..."

At the far back, a girl in pigtails and ridiculous overalls signalled a thumbs-up to a dark-haired boy two round tables away, which he returned with a smug grin. This was JoyKiddos' renowned "assassin" James McHugh--or better known as his alias, Silent Jim. Or just Jim.

The redhead's whines were drowned by hushes as the class teacher Miss...

10 cents - 3

"HA!" A pair of hands struck my shoulders, causing me to yelp in a mingle of surprise and pain. A string of random words spout out of my mouth.

"Oh, flying chicken on the roof!"

Fahmi cackled loudly, having successfully caught me off guard. A few girls around us giggled, some just laughing openly, and I shrank back, feeling the heat rush into my ears.

Much to my dismay, I said all that in Malay, and English week still wasn't over. A prefect boy I recognised as my senior nudged a small jar in my way. I reluctantly dropped 50 cents into the jar. I thought the job must be keeping the prefects from enjoying their lunch.

"You're so far into the sea." Fahmi took the seat opposite me. The expression was directly translated from Malay, but I guess that didn't count as an English error. He must've noticed me spacing out in the middle of his rant about the...

10 cents - 2

After my night prayers, Auntie Fiza called me from the guest room and told me Along returned. I thanked her for dinner and she thanked me for my aid in redecorating the rooms. If I were younger, Auntie Fiza would give a quick kiss on the cheek like she did to every child she knows. Though kissing here would mean rolling in her lips and taking a whiff on both cheeks. 

I hurried out the door, my schoolbag hanging off my right shoulder, and slowed down as I approached the car. I could see Angah in the passenger seat, so I slid into the backseat, where Angah's schoolbag was.

Our house was only on the opposite end of the street, but the silence made the ride stretch longer. 

I was sitting right behind Along, and I could feel an aura of fury emanating strongly from her. From what I could see, Angah had her arms crossed. Her face was flushed...

10 cents - 1

"Paying 10 cents for every non-English word we say, it's ridiculous!" Fahmi ranted, spitting out his incredulity as I patiently pretended to listen beside him. "I mean, this is Malaysia, we're bound to speak in broken English. Come on lah!"

At that moment, one of the corridor patrols, a timid first-year in a black head cover—indicating she was a prefect—with a pearly white smile, outstretched her hand in front of us, halting us in our steps. The name tag on her scarf read "Alis". Like all the other prefects, she held a small jar half-filled with coins and a few blue and green notes. Gee, this school speaks terrible English.

Fahmi didn't bother hiding the annoyance in his deliberately loud groan. The girl's smile faltered, and colour rushed in her plump cheeks. Another one of Fahmi's admirers, I assume.

With unnecessary aggression, Fahmi thrusted a five ringgit note into the jar, which almost toppled off the poor girl's hand, but...

Pretty Ugly

Two unusual things that took me by surprise in the past week was a big red 'A' circled at the front of my Maths paper; and the other one is my father's car at the waiting zone outside the school gates, with dad himself restlessly scrutinising the approaching crowd of chattering students, fiddling with the hem of his tweed jacket.

I was sure he was looking for me, and I wasn't surprised that he didn't recognise me. I'm wearing a mask, just like a quarter of the others filing towards the gate; plain white masks to hide our pretty faces. Yes, pretty faces. Every Pretty seven years or older are required to wear a mask according to the law in Uglyville.

"Dad, I'm right here," I spoke up as I got close enough to the car. "I'm supposed to walk to the kindergarten to pick up Connie."

Dad's hard face scrunched up like it always did whenever he looked at...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Toxic Friends

[Verse #1:]
She's only fourteen with a lack of self esteem,
But rising above her peers.
She's getting used to getting in the classroom,
Facing her deepest fear.
And it's not the teacher, it's not the pressure,
It's not the thought of failure,
But rather the looks, peeking over books,
That never fail to impale her.

No other, just her friends. (Not)
She heard that friendship never ends. (Right?)
She heard that friends will never leave you
But are they friends if they deceive you?

[Pre-chorus #1:]
It's been the same every day,
Her smile was never erased,
Being used for their delight,
But she was breaking inside.

[Chorus:]
Have you ever had toxic friends that think they can define you?
Have you ever had toxic friends that dirt on you behind you?
Have you ever had friends who are like leeches,
Draining your joy as they please?
Have you ever had toxic friends?
Have you ever had toxic friends?...

"Expect it."

Out of every common event to ever happen in books or movies that I'd read or watched in my whole eighteen years of living, the one that happened to me just had to be stirring awake after a blackout.

My senses came back to me. I groaned, squinting at the blinding fluorescence of the room. Headaches. My head was splitting in two. Another groan escaped my throat. I was about to grab hold of my head to soothe the pain--until I discovered that I couldn't move. My hand was tied behind, my whole torso tied onto a chair.

I shut my eyes tight to ease the pain.

"Hey." A familiar voice sounded in close proximity. "You're here too." It wasn't a question.

"Yeah," I replied dryly, barely paying attention or realising that someone else was in the room.

There was silence. I shook my head to rid of the flashing red and yellow spots from my vision.

A soft gasp...

"Expect it."

Out of every common event to ever happen in books or movies that I've read or watched in my whole eighteen years of living, the one that happened to me just had to be stirring awake after a blackout.

My senses came back to me as I groaned, squinting at the blinding fluorescence of the room. Headaches. My head's splitting in two. Another groan escaped my throat. I was about to grab hold of my head to soothe the pain--until I discovered that I couldn't move. My hand was tied behind, my whole torso tied onto a chair.

I shut my eyes tight to ease the pain.

"Yeah," I replied dryly, barely paying attention or realisation that someone else was in the room.

A soft gasp...

Snowflakes

Just like snowflakes on a winter's day,
A beautiful memory makes it way,
Down to the earth where it will thaw,
And meet its end that all foresaw.

Yet other flakes have come to please,
Lean back and study them with ease,
But no two snowflakes are the same,
And no lost snowflakes are coming again.

Before it lands there is a chance,
Before it ends its lazy dance,
Grasp it and praise its pure beauty,
The time it gives to let all see.

All the memories trapped in one,
Draining in the presence of the sun,
Drowning in coats of pure white,
Embrace the joy while there's still light.

Others might not recall the six sides,
You've seen enough than one can abide,
For them, they all look like a single,
For you, only one can make you tingle.

But now that one's lost and can't be retrieved,
All you can do is to wait and grieve,
Patience is...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Toxic Friends

[Verse #1:]
But rising above her peers.
Facing her deepest fear.
It's not the thought of failure,
That never fail to impale her.

No other, just her friends. (Not)

[Pre-chorus #1:]
It's been the same every day,
Her smile was never erased,
Being used for their delight,
But she was breaking inside.

[Chorus:]
Draining your joy as they please?
Have you ever had toxic friends?
Have you ever had toxic friends?...

Song Writing Competition 2019

Toxic Friends

[Verse #1:]
But rising above her peers.
Facing her deepest fear.
It's not the thought of failure,
That never fail to impale her.

No other, just her friends. (Not)

[Pre-chorus #1:]
It's been the same every day,
Her smile was never erased,
Being used for their delight,
But she was breaking inside.

[Chorus:]
Draining your joy as they please?
Have you ever had toxic friends?
Have you ever had toxic friends?...

Fresh

It was fresh
Like the first breath of spring
I never expected
What the future would bring.

The first butterflies
That suddenly appeared
First time you spoke my name
Yet I've known yours for years.

It was fresh 
Like peppermint candy
The way it stays
The short, meaningful memories.

When we were stuck with each other
2 nights and 3 days
That one particular dusk
The best, worst cliché.

It was fresh 
The feelings you make me feel
The thoughts you make me think
The wounds you slowly heal.

The way you looked at me
That one, lasting eve
Made me feel
Fresh.

Playback

the disc kept on rotating
and i put it on repeat
a love so devastating
but a memory to keep.

scenes of our encounter
when we were both estranged
a playlist of our promises
lost the meanings it contained.

a mistake, an accident
there goes all we once were
the shattered scenario
when we had nothing to fear.

darling, i'll let you know
i've compiled our precious moments
when the moon peeked down below
when the sun admired out brilliance.

when my knuckles began to bleed
i created track by track
so if i ever feel the need
i can sit and play it back.

because it reminds me we did enough.
we had our love,
and we gave it up.

sycophant

i need not gold
nor pearls, nor diamonds
not food, not coal
nor fancy garments

i praise to gain
i praise to receive
a gun of compliments
built to deceive

i thought you'd be wise
to not trip over words
took your time to realise
i'm not staying for dessert

i wish to obtain
i wish to retrieve
who should you trust?
who should you believe?

you've mounted quite high
on the back of your horse
you'd ought to keep an eye
to not be curled up in remorse.

but alas!—too late
you end up all alone
it's been a long wait
but i'd killed birds without a stone.

Pretend

"forget me friend,
let's play pretend;
i'll disappear and this will end
i'll come again, i'll come again,
don't let the game be over by then."

pretend i'm lost, pretend i'm gone
pretend i don't exist after all
fake a smile and say to them;
"i don't have anyone to call."

i made the game very simple,
play by the rules, there's only two:
one, erase your memories of me;
two, have fun with someone new.

don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.
act as if i was never born.
i was never here, i was never here—
there's no reason for you to mourn.

listen, listen, i'll come back,
when the game's over i'll be here.
when i return, will you promise
that you will remember?

of course not.
pretend subsequently becomes
indistinguishable from reality.
i took too long
two worlds collide
what do i gain from this mentality?

i fed the distance till it grows
i left...

No One Should

No one should press their ears against the walls,
listening to wails of angst,
whimpers of misery.

No one should let their eyes flutter open,
stumbling upon a trail,
diminishing vicinity.

No one should advance a step closer,
turning a sharp corner,
trespassing my privacy.

No one should find me curled up on the ground,
in a stream of tears,
ceaseless; infinity.

No One Should

listening to wails of angst,
whimpers of misery.

stumbling upon a trail,
diminishing vicinity.

No one advance a step closer,
turning a sharp corner,
trespassing my privacy.

in a stream of tears,
ceaseless; infinity.

Love in 13 Words

After 11 Years

After eleven years alone, he finally arrived. The only brother I ever kissed.

Stop.

You dare crawl back into my territory with the mention of another,
You dare grab my attention,
You dare remind me of our past,
Which would never have existed in the first place,
Had I ignored my desires and utilized my common sense.

You dare try to bring us back,
You dare call me a friend,
You dare utter the four letter word,
And tell me you care.

I don't.
That's the reality.
I don't care.
I don't need you.
I don't want you.
I don't love you.
I've moved on.
I'm not looking back.
And you are not
going to
make me.

Don't you dare smile at me again,
Send me letters nights on end,
Call me lover, call me friend,
Stop it.

You've broken me once.
What do you want more from me?
I will not reply,
I will not reply,
I will not reply.

You don't mean anything to me anymore,
Stop trying to catch my pity, ...

June the Second

Dusk of dreams,
Cloak of colours,
Starless night, but still I wonder.
What have I wished to, to get a lover,
That I know won't ever last.

I don't reckon,
June the second,
Was the night of pure perfection,
No nightmares, no intervention,
Still I lowered down my mask.

I could've made it better,
If I had washed out this guilt,
It was not a happy ending,
But your words weaved priceless silk.

I was trapped in hallucination,
Lies that caged my true emotions,
Little heart, meant to be broken,
Too soon, too soon, distortion.

Couldn't sleep a wink,
Oh it must be love, I think.
Oh it must be fate, a link,
That will soon lead to a ring.

A summer swing,
Romance's sting,
And it died instantly after,
Along with smiles and joyous laughter,
Every piece left as a legend.

Come nightfall,
I still recall,
Lost promises you tended to make,
All the hours you kept me awake, ...

.not perfect.

dear hair,
so wiry and dry
greasy and unkempt
yet i keep you untied.

dear lips,
don't you know chapstick?
you'll never be kissed
no matter how much you're licked.

dear eyes,
brown and boring
do you have any lashes?
all i see are tears pouring.

dear cheeks,
get out of here
you look fat and ugly
at least get redder, you hear?

dear face,
get cleaner and whiter
here come the zits
now put on some acne fighter.

dear stomach,
stop bulging out
fine, i'll just starve myself
though i know that's not allowed.

dear chest,
you should grow
get bigger and fuller
for me to show.

dear waist,
you're too wide
get smaller than chest
or i'll wear something tight.

dear bottom,
why are you small?
don't grow too big though
just curve, not fall.

dear thighs,
stretch longer, no thicker
you're just too fat
for me to show my knickers.

dear clothes,
why won't you fit?
please...

What We Don't See

Tranquil, crystalline, embracing the shore,
Low rumbling of waves in a chorus.

Look out! They lurch, they rage, they roar,
Swallowing trespassers, ferocious.

Candles alit, a fragrant therapy,
Emanating heat in the rain.

Feed them, they grow with every recipe,
A lick can set everything aflame.

Combing through your luscious locks,
A breeze to caress your skin.

Yet trees they uproot, shelters they knock,
Only debris where they have all been.

Flashes of lightning, bellows of thunder,
Fierce droplets plummeting onto earth.
Few realizes from the scent of petrichor,
Raindrops; a sigh of rebirth.

A king, a beast, a crown of dark mane,
Snarling at another as they trudge.
Returning home, a father in pain,
Cubs washing out his grudge.

Anguished, whispering God's name in agony,
Frail, delivering new life on land.
Cries rang in her ears like a melody,
The joy of a mother as she held its hand.

However calming it may be,
Even things so dear can...

To 365 Days Ago

Dearest Dee of 1st January 2017,

How are you doing back there in the past? I miss you already. Sorry I'm writing to you this late, but I just thought I should warn you about this year coming your way.

Oh, where do I even start? Yes, your parents and little brother will land home safely from Italy, and with lots of presents too! Yusuf will be registered in your school, Room 5, which I never knew exists too. But hey, he's three now, he really needs to go to school instead of staying at home screaming and watching YouTube videos all day, am I right? Dad will start going to work again, so you'll be seeing him less.

By the way, that book you're working on? You'll secretly discontinue it, unsurprisingly. Yeah, I know you're planning it. Your ending is unfortunately not strong enough. No one can differentiate between the twins, so you'd better remake it.

The seventh graders...

Never Been There

There's always that pain that you feel for yourself,
And I know it hurts a lot, just leaving you depressed,
I've seen a lot of those happening to everybody else,
And it's a different kind of pain when you don't know how to help.

'Cause it's one thing being it,
It's another thing seeing it.
People say look on the bright side, but nobody believes in it.
All these feelings you can't bear,
And I want to show I care,
But I don't know how to do that when I've never been there.

I say,
"I feel your pain."
But you're right, the truth remains.
You've been through a storm,
Outside of the norm,
All these jeers and whispers leaving you broken and torn.

I wish I could just lend you a hand,
All the tears that you shed, and I still can't understand,
It makes me beat myself up, not knowing how to act,
How can I possibly help...

Girl of a Dream

Girl of a dream
You may not be what you seem,
But I know you can be freed,
From this world's greed.

Girl of a dream,
Someone out there feels your presence,
Perhaps he's not what you deem
As worth your essence
But you are what he dreams
A being of quintessence.

Seamless worlds,
Universes apart,
But when one dreams of a girl,
A girl that can own his heart,
He does not picture her face,
Or the size of her waist,
Or the beauty of her gaze,
Or how her lips taste.

He feels her beauty inside him,
Blooming from within,
And he stares as she sighs,
About the thickness of her thighs,
Or her mismatched eyes,
Or her body size.

It's just not fair,
How crazy it seems,
She's not aware,
She's the girl of a dream.
A girl of his dreams.
Yet she does not see,
What that means.

Girl of a dream,
Why is it difficult...

Bit by Bit

No one knew who he was or where he came from. Every morning he entered the room, the atmosphere thickened, as if everyone held their breaths at once, suffocated by the suspicious smile that eased its way onto his pale face. The kind of smile that sent everyone shifting, unnerved, disconcerted. His strangely courteous silence, his autumn leaves fragrance - everything about him pulled eyebrows together, eyelids apart, lips pursed.

"Terrance," he introduced himself, with a smile that never reached his eyes. "Terrance Princeton. A pleasure." There was something about his greeting that invoked uneasiness in the classroom. Perhaps it was the way he enunciated almost every syllable in hi speech. Despite cynical, curious looks he received, he never moved a muscle, eyeing every single head from the front row to back; heads filled with questions, concerns, doubts - caution.

Most of us tried to stay out of his 50-centimetre radius range. The girls admired his raven hair, bottle green...

no

no:
two letters
one syllable
a life-changing word

the utterance as short as a blink
like the sudden halt of  the wind
a pause in time
a hold of breath
a skip in a heartbeat
a drop of water
rippling in silence

an easy word to read
but not always understood
if shrouded with doubt
it's much of a joke
if delivered with certainty
confidence
it can open a new path
that we never thought was an option

an easy word to read
but not as easy to speak
no, says the girl, choking in tears
no, says the man, hardened face in blistering anger
no, says the boy, grinning ear to ear
no, says the woman, a soft smile on soft features
no, says the child, stubbornly pouting

no is a response
an answer to a question
a warning
a statement
a correction
a wail, a cry
a denial
it's meaning lies on the feeling behind it

Is it...

The Path That Led to Nowhere

When you have been staying in the city for two thirds of your life, you will undoubtedly grow attached to modern technology and the comfort of your soft sheets fresh from the laundry. You get used to clamorous streets, angry hollers and insults among furious honks every Friday traffic, and the packed trains that always smelled like raw fish and rotten eggs throughout the ride.

It has been ten years since Mateo was dragged to the city by his parents, in which he had spent his adolescence with whatever city teens were into—music, social media, movies, the occasional reading. It was a complete contrast from his youthful, adventurous five-year-old self, who used to befriend the creatures of the woods.

Three hundred miles away from the city, with no signal, no wireless connection, and no television. Mateo was back home. Back to where he grew up as a child—back to Aunt Glenna's. The thing is—he didn't remember home.

"Matty used to...

Wrong Move

Can you see what you've done wrong?
Can you see your mistake?
Can you keep it that way for long,
Until everything breaks?

We've woven stories with golden threads,
But you constantly cut them short,
Soak the memories in blinding red,
My reality,
My fantasy,
You distort.

Every piece of me scattered,
'Cross the barren field we traversed,
Yes, I have been shattered,
Fragments of dreams dispersed.

I can pick myself up from the ground,
I don't need your ruthless hold,
Malicious touch, I was once bound,
A golden heart turned cold.

I can help myself over the walls,
You built around my constitution,
I was left empty, anxiety crawls,
Now I'll end my desolation.

Taped my heart again for one last time,
Never will this repeat,
Crumbled, destroyed, what was once sublime,
Now you're dirt under my feet.

The past is past,
Still in pieces,
Never last,
No ellipsis.

Forgive forget,
Words that pierce,
You'll regret,
Awaking the fierce.
...

Her Stage

Velvet curtains on the rickety stage,
Abandoned of use like a yellowed page,
Layered with dust that blinds the eye,
That quiets the footsteps sleek and sly.

What better grace had been on the scene?
Twirling on stage where all is unseen,
Swift steps entrancing nonexistent hearts,
The chairs void of people, voicing remarks.

Brittle wood creaked beneath her feet,
Amazed spectators at the edge of their seats,
Spotlights flickering where two floorboards met,
Where she spun in an everlasting pirouette.

The stage was hers for the longest of time,
Vacant chairs chanted her name divine,
From the audience flew a single rose,
But it all ended when curtains closed.

Playground

Let me take your hand
And lead you forth
To a sacred land
Far to the north.

Perhaps you forget
The times we spent
After we met
When leaves descent.

Oh, what fun we had then
The memories it brings
Counting until ten
Flying on the swings.

Oh, what joy we were in
When the snow thawed
And our worries grew thin
Up and down the see-saw.

Oh, eyes and smiles wide
Being the children we were
Racing down the slides
Exhilaration over fear.

Oh, fingers intertwined
Careful not to peek
A place to hide behind
Search for whom you seek.

Sand castles in the box
Kites dancing up high
A splash and wet socks
Only laughter reached the sky.

Jump, duck, ready to turn
On to the merry-go-round
Oh, how I long for your return
To our secret playground.

Anger

Have you ever felt the burn?
Have you ever felt the heat?
Whenever that feeling returns,
You need to be discreet.

Beware of the unheard whispers,
Planting hatred in your heart,
And once the flames disperse,
They break strong bonds apart.

A single word can lead to hate,
Or a furious outburst,
No matter what it can create,
Fear and prevent the worst.

The flames of a raging fire,
Sparking up inside,
Rising and rising ever higher,
No longer able to hide.

Unable to control the flames,
Burning in your soul,
Impossible to either kill or tame,
It will char your heart to coal.

Cool it with a gentle breeze,
Die it down with water,
Stay ever patient and stay at ease,
Begin with little totters.

Once it comes, express it not,
With acts of your own desire,
Tame it at once if it's burning hot,
Anger's raging fire.

A Reminder or Two

A Reminder or Two

Rise, my dear, rise to the top,
Don't let the setbacks make you stop,
You've made it this far, no need to drop,
From the countless blocking props.

Stand, my dear, stand tall with pride,
Yet humble once you step your strides,
But not too much as to run and hide,
I will leave that aside for you to decide.

Prove, my dear, that you are one of a kind,
That you can catch up when left behind,
That you can stay on others' minds,
To be the one that they hope to find.

Tell, my dear, tell the tale from your birth,
Spin them the tale with smiles and mirth,
Relate to them when you arrive on earth,
Just how much you realize you are worth.

Look, my dear, look up from your bow,
Prepare to speak what you are now,
And when any of them ask you how,
To teach them is what I...

Voices Teach Me

Who are you?
"I am a voice."
Should I listen to you?
"Have you a choice?"

Are you in my head?
"Excellent deduction."
Does this mean I'm dead?
"Brainless assumption."

Why are you here?
"Simply to teach."
Can't find you, I fear.
"I'm one you can't reach."

Are you inside?
"That is correct."
Why do you hide?
"Because you neglect."

Should I be concerned?
"I should think not."
But then you'll return...
"That's what I thought."

Should I keep you there?
"I'll stay nonetheless.
When you're in despair,
I'll do what's best."

But I'm not in despair.
"You know that is false.
Your trapped in the walls,
Built against their calls.

I know I'm all right.
"You have lived your lies.
You're under grey skies,
With tears in your eyes."

I feel swell.
"How can you tell?
You're all alone
in your own cell."

I am fine.
"That's divine.
Have you seen the demons
waiting in line?"

I don't feel...

Letter to Myself

I once wrote myself a letter
A letter about my past
It's directed to 'me in the future'
And she has read it at last.

I once wrote myself a letter
A letter that relates my tale
Perhaps it does not matter
But it gives me clues and trails.

I once wrote myself a letter
A letter that tells my sorrow
The ink and writing grew fatter
Then reverts to thin and narrow.

I once wrote myself a letter
A letter to offer advice
To either support or deter
Useful tips for later in life.

I once wrote myself a letter
A letter about my mistakes
Choosing the former or latter
Ended up choosing the fakes.

I once wrote myself a letter
A letter that pleads for help
Perhaps now I feel better
But I keep doubting myself.

"We are one."

There are two things in a mirror;
the reflection,
and the reflected.
It's a connector of those two,
bringing them together,
like long lost brothers.

The reflected would touch the mirror,
thus touching the reflection;
"We are one."
The reflection would not say it,
but would move its mouth.

When you look at a mirror,
your reflection stares back.
When you place your right hand on it,
your reflections presses its left against it.

The parting of your hair is on your left,
While your reflection's is on their right.
Your scar is on your right cheek,
While your reflection's is on their left.

The reflected can speak,
the reflection move their lips without a word.
The reflected can listen;
perhaps the reflection has the ability as well.
It might be listening to your every word,
whilst its own can't be heard.

Observe your reflection.
"We are one."
Yet not the same.
But it listens.
And you are both in...

Most Wonderful Decision

Celine padded down the hallway in her bedroom slippers and sweeping night robe, making her way to the guest room at the end of the dimly lit hall. The still air was suffocating her thumping heart as she neared the door, which was slightly ajar.

Luminous lighting seeped through the crack, clashing with the yellowish glow illuminating from the ceilings in the hall. Celine brought herself to a pause in front of the cream-colored door, her hand on the freezing bronze handle. With a deep and calming intake of breath, she knocked.

She opened the door wider and was met with warm air. There was a smell of fresh laundry along with a faint trace of strawberry. Everything was neatly arranged, as if untouched since everything was moved in, except for the bed, where a girl of seven sat with a sketchbook on her lap and a pencil in hand, focusing on her artwork.

Celine couldn't stop the fond smile...

Inside the Mirror

"Will you tell me what you see?"
Interesting question; I see me.
"Yes, but what else does it show?"
Do you really have to know?

I see a pair of empty eyes.
"One of those you recognize?"
I see false upturned lips.
"One with twitches at the tips?"

I see a sheet drained out of colors.
"Behind of which a pour soul cowers?"
I see dried armor reflecting light.
"Does it really protect from fights?"

I see bare feet on the floor.
"Those you step on when they're sore?"
I see arms wrapped around.
"Looks like someone's tightly bound."

I see tears trailing down cheeks.
"What's behind them is what you seek."
I see rows of teeth clenched tight.
"Out of angst or out of fright?"

I see a helpless brainless soul.
"One with a heart they can't control?"
I see a shattered riven heart.
"Only the beginning, only the start."

Seconds Too Late

It all replayed
They would all fade
Along with the blade
Release the grenade.

Inside
There's always a place to hide
To confide
Opened wide
Yet everything lied.

Of being and existence
Of acceptance and resistance
Of time's persistence
An unbearable distance.

Berated
Everything shows what's fated
Escalated
Nothing made it
When it all faded.

Seven moons prayed
Shielding sun for twenty days
I can and will wait
But I was seconds too late.

Everything is Broken

As you wonder,
Does it matter?
Watch as your fragile heart shatter.
As it lies,
Don't deny,
It is right before your eyes.

A witless deed,
Only heed,
As the helpless heart does bleed.
Bite your tongue,
Words unsung,
As you witness it when wrung.

A little rude,
Not as crude,
Watch as your heart was cut and hewed.
Bear the load,
AS it slowed,
Torment to the heart it showed.

Try for long,
Always wrong,
Hiding weakness, acting strong.
Yet the heart,
Broke apart,
Waits to refresh a new start.

Wait for some,
Will it come?
Singing soft a bitter hum.
In your sight,
Is your plight,
As it loses strength and might.

All this time,
'Twas sublime,
Glimpsing past the stealth of crime,
Save it not,
As it rots,
As it weeps having been caught.

Nine of ten,
Chances then,
One is written by the pen.
Watch it run,
It is done,
The ones remaining are but none.
...

What a Mess!

"Come on, we're gonna be late!" Dee urged from the doorway as she glimpsed at her watch, waiting for Mai to stuff her things in her bags.

"Alright, I'm done!"

They both exited the room, leaving quite a mess even after making up the bed and clearing up some of their books on the desk. The lights went out just as the door snaps shut, and thundering footsteps hurried down the stairs outside.

Mirror grimaced at the state of the room. "Ugh, what a mess!"

Desk #1 scoffed. "You're telling me. What do you think is on top of me?" It's pretty clear to see the books, magazines, pamphlets, colored papers, an empty drinking cup, deodorants, an air freshener, to bottles of talc powder, forgotten maths activities and even a hanger lying on top of Dee's desk.

"That's nothing compared to what's on me!" screeched Desk #2 under a weight of homework, fictional books, stationery and a Macbook Pro, though...

Secrets Behind the Doors

Wherever stands a hidden door,
Curiosity leads you to even more,
Doors that you've never seen before,
And now you know, but what lies in store?

You know they exist, they're everywhere,
Will you take the risk to go in there?
It will either give you a shiver and scare,
Or cause you to gape, just stand and stare.

You know they're there, and want to discover,
Whatever may fly inside and hover,
For you want to explore and ponder over,
The mysteries that you'll soon uncover.

The unique patterns on the doors, they differ,
Some were tranquil shades of the river,
Some were scarlet, shades of the liver,
Most were dark, diminish the chipper.

The doors won't budge; 'fraid their locked,
Where are the keys? Are they in your socks?
Time is leaving us—tick, tock,
If they still won't open, then we'll have to knock.

"Knock, knock, I come with peace,
I'm afraid to tell I've lost the keys, ...

Look What You've Done

Can't you see the burning glares?
Or the tension in the air?
So you say that no one cares,
When everyone sees it there.

A community of one dream,
A kinship of one heart,
Once a close-knit, determined team,
Now is broken apart.

Look into their web of thoughts,
Be prepared to find,
Consideration that melts and rots,
In their selfish minds.

Look what you've done,
Hatred awoken,
In the battle never won,
A war unspoken.

Look what you've done,
Playing your role,
Destroying the fun,
In their once lively souls.

A glint of loathing concealed,
To hide of what they feel,
Eventually they were all revealed,
Similarity appeared surreal.

Look at all the darkened shades,
As they were touched by spite,
All the love and adoration fade,
Now immune to the light.

Can't you hear the grunts of fury?
Or the self-centered whines?
Don't want violence or things to get gory,
Please notice the signs.

Look what you've done, ...

Another Day

Searching for a place to stay,
Searching for the words to say,
Searching for a peaceful bay,
This is just another day.

A swirl of thought in the heart,
Can make the mind tear apart,
A swoop of thought in the mind,
Can leave the heart behind.

An action brought by a look,
Can make winds return what it took,
An action brought by a touch,
Can destroy them all too much.

A feeling brought by a little dance,
Can give another little chance,
A feeling brought by a little smile,
Can stop them for a while.

A call of hope from a plead,
Can give you all the time you need,
A call of hope from a yell,
Can ring the screeching bell.

A shine of bliss from a hold,
Can rise a child of cowardice bold,
A shine of bliss from a squeeze,
Can fly souls in the breeze.

In search, they told to go away,
In search,...

The One With the Cobwebs

These kids are weird. Cleo had never had this much eyes on her before; especially not those that looked blank and distant. Even Mr. Hudson was staring at her from her side.

"My name is Cleopatra Mendel." The words sounded foreign as she spoke to all the pairs of eyes in the dull, dusty room. The only reason she could see was because of the shaft of daylight from the only two windows in one side of the room. "Nice to meet you all."

It wasn't nice at all. She didn't dare look up at the empty eyes staring through her, finding something inside her. It's as if they're hypnotized, but not in a positive way that Cleo would like people to have their jaws drop open when they see her. There's no reason for that anyway. She's wearing the kind of clothing they're all wearing; a loose sooty grey t-shirt and a long black skirt that reached below her...

Change

Everytime I speak the word 'change',
I've never noticed how the word is strange,
After giving some time of thought,
The significance of it, it bores me not.

'Change'—what a peculiar word,
Though it wasn't noticed each time it's heard,
It can be as sudden as it can be delayed,
It can't be reversed as it can be made.

There is always change wherever we go,
It only takes time to see it show,
A change can bring beauty and clear blue skies,
Yet it can bring harm, peril and lies.

From a frightened prey to a bold soldier,
From weak and helpless to a strong warrior,
From a broken heart splashed in tears,
To a proud step forward, escaping the fears.

From an innocent soul to an act of crime,
From a precious gem to most wanted of the time,
From a joyous mind, so pure and clean,
To a corrupted land that's never seen.

It can take a...

"Liar."

I promise to care for you,
I promise to be there for you,
To cheer you up when days are blue,
To help you with your problems too.

"Liar."

What is that that you have said?
I couldn't hear it, I'm afraid,
Could it just be in my head?
Or is it a joke that you have made?

"Liar."

I heard you loud and clear now,
I wonder why you think me so,
It is unbelievable how,
Your trust for me is very low.

"Liar."

You said that before and I heard,
Yet I think it is absurd,
I assure you I'm a gentle bird,
You can trust my every word.

"Liar."

Why do you keep wanting to repeat?
Surely that is not what you think.
Why are you bringing up the heat?
You're making my heart sink.

"Liar."

I refuse to listen anymore,
You don't love me as much as I you,
I'd have to point you to the...

A Blink of an Eye

A distant snort of laughter,
A sudden flash of smile,
A happy end we're after,
A path that stretched a mile.

As our steps grew close,
Reaching the other's hand,
Sudden darkness rose,
That none could understand.

A simultaneous echo of names,
A deafness unexplained,
The tears' had whispered claims,
That the other side had rained.

The lonely sobs near,
Yet growing further away,
Hiccoughs of voices I could hear,
Yet I wish they would stay.

A quick blink of an eye,
My home came to view,
A bit relieved was I,
Yet I couldn't find you.

The skies once bright a blue,
Turned gray above my home,
And now that I have lost you,
I stay here all alone.

Only a Little

Only a little,
Only a few,
Stuck in the middle,
Have not a clue.

Only a moment,
Only a while,
Escaping torment,
Running a mile.

Only a letter,
Only a word,
Feeling better?
That is absurd.

Only a voice,
Only a mutter,
No other choice,
Get in the gutter.

When Boredom Strikes

Have you ever been there?
Where boredom strikes all,
Where you don't know what to do,
When you expect a call.

You want to explore a world,
Where there's lots of adventure,
You want to reach the sky,
Memories you want to capture.

You want to find a friend,
To journey far and near,
You want to join in battles,
And prove you have no fear.

You want to trod a path,
Leading towards your dreams,
Discover new dimensions,
Where nothing's what it seems.

You want to change your race,
Have powers that you crave,
You want to travel far,
Find shelter in a cave.

You want to travel time,
Learning secrets in the past,
You want to hold a shield,
And never be an outcast.

You want to meet new creatures,
Fight enemies with bare hands,
Learning to work together,
And together you will stand.

A world spreaded wide out there,
Waiting to be explored,
Surely you already know, ...

One to Wait

One drop of water from the sky,
Means more will come soon,
One drop of tear from her eye,
Gleaming under the moon.

Darkness arrives in the absence of light,
Blanketing the horizon,
Stars twinkle in the presence of night,
Until the sun has risen.

Patience loyal as a companion,
As warmth starts to embrace,
Gazing below, beyond the canyon,
As time picks up its pace.

Golden streaks appear above,
Sun retiring for the day,
Hope grew thin, finding her love,
Still deciding to stay.

One more day passing behind,
As she depends on fate,
One more hope for her love to find,
But she is one to wait.

We'll Be Home Soon

Under the sun,
Under the stars,
After the fun,
We sew our scars.

Nothing will change,
Nothing will turn,
Maybe it's strange,
But we have to learn.

Little by little,
We start to heal,
Bones once brittle,
Now become steel.

Protect each other,
Against the cold,
Standing together,
Strong and bold.

Under the light,
Under the sky,
No need to fight,
No need to lie.

Top of the mountains,
Under the moon,
Once the storm softens,
We'll be home soon.

She Knows

She knows the pain,
She feels the rain,
Empty her brain,
A pilot-less plane.

Everything she lost,
She's being tossed,
Her mind a frost,
Why is it caused?

An endless wheel,
Heart made of steel,
Clueless what to feel,
Still in her kneel.

Nothing will spark,
There in the dark,
A sinking ark,
Leaving a mark.

Nothing to fear,
Nothing to steer,
She was so dear,
But now it's clear.

She knows the dare,
She feels the care,
Her eyes declare,
Life is unfair.

She knows, not understand,
She needs a sincere hand,
Eyes to stare at and,
A heart gold and grand.

You Left Us

What happened to this world?
Everything not in its place,
Nothing could be done,
When there's no time to waste.

Fortune ran away,
Leaving us alone,
They started plotting things around,
Do we deserve to be gnomes?

If this is the place we've all hoped for,
Then it's not our anymore,
We want to be friends with all of you,
But you made our hearts sore.

This is not anything we want,
Do we need to tell?
Is it necessary to hate us?
You left us when we fell.

Dead End

Of all the words you whispered,
That you've used to leave me splintered,
I remember each and every one,
And I know I haven't misheard.

Call me bad,
You're horrible,
Call me wrong,
It's in your head,
Call me a loser,
Game over,
Call me a liar,
That's what you said.

My heart and soul torn to bits,
From every word that escaped your lips,
Had the thought never to your head it hit?
Me, the victim, it rips.

Hatred is not the feeling in question,
For it had been bored of my possession,
Wrong have I been, it's just a first impression,
For here I've been waiting for your confession.

Call me freak,
That's fine,
Call me lame,
That's weak,
Call me annoying,
That's peculiar,
Call me weird,
It's called unique.

Long have lost my feelings of care,
You left me, and I didn't believe you dared,
For me to run after one is very rare,
So as you...

He Created Me

Submission. I submit myself to Him. Every day, every night, I submit myself to Him. He is the Only One.

He created the sky, He created the Earth.
He created death, He created birth.

He created the dark, He created the light.
He created the wrong, He created the right.

He created peace, He created war.
He created the Moon, the Sun and the stars.

He created black, He created white.
He created weakness, He created might.

He created men, He created nature.
He created the world, He created adventure.

His names I utter every second.
He is always there, I don't need to reckon.

He provides signs some of us are too blind to see.
He knows who we are, He knows who we would be.

He is nothing like us, nor any of His creation.
He will grant our needs, in return of submission.

His path had been travelled by many of his servants.
He guides them with...

None Asks For

I am indecisive.
My correct decisions could just be a coincidence.
I am dependent.
When I do things myself, it's one of those rare events.
I am irresponsible.
Other people were blamed for my own mistakes.
I am unreliable.
No one trusts me, and I trust no one.
I am stuck.
I let setbacks block the path I'm taking.
I am lost.
The obstacles took me deep into the forests.
I am gone.
The world tilted to wipe me off its surface.
I am forgotten.
No one stares, so no one cares.
I am irrelevant.
My name isn't mentioned in the population of the world.
I am not alienated.
Even aliens don't want to admit I'm one of them.
I am not stranded.
No lonely places in the world want to take me in.
I am not locked.
No doors want me to cry behind them.
I am just a wish.
A wish that no one asks for.

The Silence of My World

An empty jar of noise,
Stood with courage in silence,
On the edge of the callous plank,
The quake shook with persistence.

A voice screamed inside,
As the jar dived for the ground,
The fragile glass of protection,
Shattered without a sound.

The escape of voices in my world,
Brought harm to the emptiness,
They shook the grounds and skies,
With no fear nor shyness.

They cackled as soon as they're released,
From being trapped in the jar,
Loud cries and shrieks of jumping joy,
Dreading to journey afar.

Claps, chatters, barks and laughter,
The worst music in my world,
People talking, thunder clapping,
Voices of boys and girls.

A sudden event occurred,
One by one disappeared,
All of them still a great danger,
But some of them can't be heard.

The noises then continued to hush,
At last left the sounds of sirens,
And when they popped into thin air,
They left my world in silence.

Alas, my world...

Cry It All Out

A room of empty silence,
Darkness in every corner,
A ray of light leaves no effect,
It stays that way for ever.

Alone with no one beside,
Sorrow in her face,
Willing to survive a night,
In this dreadful place.

Against the wall she leans,
Breathing low and quiet,
Sinking down to the floor,
Which instantly chained her to it.

A gush of agony travelled through,
Eyes hot with tears and pain,
Knees hugged tight against the chest,
She might have gone insane.

Tears trickle uncontrolled,
A sudden urge to shout,
Don't bottle it up, it might not stop,
Just cry it all out.

Where We're Not

Sunlight floods the early sky,
Red and orange and yellow,
The breeze softly whistling its tune,
The pond stays cool and shallow.

Woodland creatures near and far,
Meeting face-to-face,
A greeting heard as one loud chorus,
As the flowers wave in their place.

Grass and leaves bathed in dew,
Butterflies fluttering their wings,
Double, triple, quadruple rainbows,
Decorate the new morning.

Waterfall splashes down the beauty,
A stream of water ends it,
Animals of many swim inside,
Swiftness they have perfected.

Colours plastered in this wonder,
Animals coming by lots,
It might be real or just a wish,
But we are where we're not.

Gone

"It's too late."

It's not.

"She's gone."

I'm still here.

"There's nothing else to do."

Yes. Yes there is.

"You can't help her."

Yes you can!

"She's no longer-"

Please. I don't want to hear this. I'm here. I'll always be here. Look at me! I haven't gone! Please. Everyone... It's not too late.

Each Step

One. It's a start. Two. Getting closer. Three. Almost there...

Each and every step has a meaning. The only question remaining is: when are you taking another step?

You can't see how higher up you need to go, but you can see how far you've gone. If you fall back one step, know that you can still do it again. If you fall back to the very first step... at least you know where the rocks and holes are in the path. You can avoid them on your second try.

Always advance another step, because each step you take says, "Congratulations."

Let every step matter.

Each Step