InTheNow

I like to write, so here I am.

"To thine own self be true."
--Hamlet

Default avatar user icon
Img 6631

InTheNow (United States) started following Abi Pinner (United Kingdom)

Default avatar user icon
Dg67ibxfuzu2bmsbou5sqs6h3.498x416x1

InTheNow (United States) started following Suri Purefoy (United States)

Default avatar user icon
Competitor

InTheNow (United States) earned a badge Competitor

Default avatar user icon
Reviewer

InTheNow (United States) earned a badge Reviewer

Default avatar user icon

InTheNow (United States) reviewed:

Kayla Mayg

I really liked this story! Good job!

Default avatar user icon

InTheNow (United States) published:

Me in Threes

PROMPT: YOU in threes

Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:

• I always have a specific arrangement for where my pillows sit on my bed.
  • I absolutely am in LOVE (well, very close to being obsessed) with looking up pictures of cat memes (especially fat cats).
  • When I'm happy (or any mood for that matter), I love to binge on cookie dough ice cream.

Three adjectives your peers would use to describe you:

• Hyper
  • Funny
  • Plain interesting

Three adjectives your family would use:

• Lazy
  • Funny in every way
  • Overall a strange kid

Three adjectives...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon

InTheNow (United States) liked Smudged by InTheNow (United States)

Default avatar user icon
Tumblr static 6275395753 c14e9e5c17

InTheNow (United States) started following Duck (United States)

Default avatar user icon
Goosey lucy

InTheNow (United States) started following Helen Grant (United Kingdom)

Default avatar user icon
3
2

InTheNow (United States) published:

The Secret to Happiness

PROMPT: Personal Narrative

I don't exactly remember when my dad left.

I'm assuming I was pretty young. Young enough to not be able to understand the circumstances.

Maybe it was late into the fall, when the leaves were turned orange and yellow and brown, when he and I would jump into the mountains we had made with those leaves, and afterwards he would even let me have a bit of his cider from the mug.

Or maybe it was in the summer, and he drove...

Seeking Peer Reviews

YOU in threes

Me in Threes

Three quirks or idiosyncrasies:

• Hyper
  • Funny
  • Plain interesting

Three adjectives your family would use:

• Lazy
  • Funny in every way
  • Overall a strange kid

Three adjectives you would use:

• Funny
  • No, hilarious
  • Bookworm

Three favorites:

• Supernatural!!!(the TV show)
  • Cats
  • Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit (both the books and movies)

Three pet peeves:

• When people boast
  • When people smack their gum
  • When someone tells me I'm short (I hate it)

Three sources of comfort:

• Supernatural (x 1000)
  • Listening to music
  • Coffee

Personal Narrative

The Secret to Happiness

Or maybe it was in the summer, and he drove away in his sticky car, the air conditioner cranked up enough to house a couple of polar bears.

Or perhaps winter, when frost covered the window panes of our house, and we would snuggle underneath  a blanket and watch Christmas movies all day long.

Even though the exact time and reasons why my dad left have escaped my mind, I still remember growing up without him being around. I would see him occassionally, but not at all as often as...

Open Prompt

Smudged

When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Each and every faint line indented into your face, how your pupils dilate, expanding and contracting like your stomach does when you breathe, every little wisp of hair that is not quite flat against your head, every freckle, every mark, every indentation...is this what you see?

She looks in the mirror, torn fingernails that she bit during the day brushing strands of loose hair from her dim face. And her eyes lower, for she cannot bear to witness the person who looks back at her. A faint reflective glimmer appears in the corner of her eye and she must look back to herself. Her eyelids close and open again, and again. She stands there, wondering whether to face herself again. And it is so.

The birthmark is under her eye, smudged there permanently, like someone tried to erase Sharpie from her skin and then couldn't make it go away. So they just kept erasing until...

Open Prompt

Smudged

Open Prompt

Smudged

The birthmark is under her eye, smudged there permanently, like someone erased Sharpie onto her skin and then couldn't make it go away. So they just kept erasing...

Borrowing Voice

The Teenage Brain:

The Teenage Brain by Frances E. Jensen, MD with Amy Ellis Nutt:

Too often we send them mixed messages. Too often do young adolescents take things as the truth when they are in fact  misunderstandings. Too often do they misunderstand the truth. But is this their fault? Often times parents assume that when their child enters the long journey into adulthood, e.g. puberty, that their teenager must be treated as an adult. But sometimes teens are not ready, are not prepared. Parents may assume their kids are all buckled up and ready to go, but in retrospect, they are afraid. Too often do teenagers believe they must grow up faster than they need to. This may be, in some cases, because of inefficient parenting skills, such as assuming things about now-hormonal teenagers. It's true; they can be confusing, they can take things to lightly or too seriously. But think about it: not everyone is ready for the long ride into...

InTheNow's 1 Like

Smudged by InTheNow

Published over 2 years ago

4 Likes from Others

The Secret to Happiness

Liked by 3 people

Smudged

Liked by 2 people

The Teenage Brain:

Liked by 1 person

Smudged

Liked by 1 person

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned over 2 years ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned over 2 years ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned over 2 years ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned over 2 years ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Favoriter inactive

Get favoriting - read and favorite over ten pieces published by others to earn this badge.

Follower inactive

Follow over five other writers and you'll get a badge for your efforts.

Good neighbor inactive

Be a good neighbor - add a profile image and write a short biography.

Leader inactive

Become a leader of the pack when over five other writers start following you.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Popular penman inactive

Get over ten favorites for your work to become a Popular Penner.

Power writer inactive

Keep going! Write over ten thousand words and you'll be a Power Writer.

Pro reviewer inactive

Submit over five reviews and get that Pro Reviewer feeling.

Prolific inactive

Publish over ten different pieces to be truly prolific!

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Supporter inactive

Get supportive. Follow over ten other writers and get a badge too.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.