Rose

Rachel A.

I love writing and music and when the two come together it truly is my favorite. Poetry and song writing go hand in hand and I love to use my ability to read music and understand it to write songs.

"hold on tight/ this ride is a wild one/ make no mistake/ the day will come when you can't cover up what you've done/ now don't loose your fight kid/ it only takes a little push to pull on through/ with so much left to do/ you'll be missing out, and we'll be missing you" -Alex Gaskarth; Missing You by All Time Low

Rose
1

Rachel A. (United States) published:

Jersey, Darling

PROMPT: Ten Words to You

Its dark in the winter, but so bright in spring

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose
1

Rachel A. (United States) published:

A Latonic Love

PROMPT: Fernweh

Latonic- la-tone-ick- a platonic love in which you would give your all to someone.

It was a latonic love. She would give her all to her and she would do the same. Neither ever crossing a line so thin, and delicatley loving oneanother in a way no one could describe. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose
1

Rachel A. (United States) published:

My Cake

PROMPT: Why I Write

The characters I create are the pieces of me that make me whole. One might constantly be worrying and the other might be carefree. People have layered personalities and each on of my characters is a layer in my cake. Each one of them can be broken apart, but with a specific knife. Not one of them slices the same. My cake isn't one flavor but rather thousands. Each flavor may not appeal to one 'Person' but they can pick...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose
2

Rachel A. (United States) published:

The Ones

We are the change they don't want to see
We are the colours in the blackened sky
We are the self aware
The ones who have figured it out
Ones who dare to question the words out of the mouths of those who claim to lead
Those told we have nothing more to aspire to than the person next to you
The ones who have rattled the lies out of our minds
We are the ones they don't want to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose

Rachel A. (United States) published:

Flickering Flames

PROMPT: Writing Small

Like the slim flame on the tip of a match we flickered in the night. A bleak glow against the black sky with dim circle of hope in the background. I will miss you while you are gone my love. And may you feel my heartbeat in the night.

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose

Rachel A. (United States) published:

Ghosts

Th  
    e
      Gh
          o
             sts
                 O
                   f
                     F
                       a
                          ll
     ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rose

Rachel A. (United States) reviewed:

The Good of Apocalypse

PROMPT: On the Last Day of the World

I enjoyed this prompt very much because it forces you to put a normally complex answer into only a few words. I like this very much.

Rose
5bc17933e52c242f8471e18ef5ba84cc  acrylic animal paintings canvases paintings of flowers acrylic

Rachel A. (United States) started following Paperbird (United States)

Rose
Logo

Rachel A. (United States) started following novelistinthedark (United States)

Rose
Pkgy1zy 1

Rachel A. (United States) started following Kaitlyn ❄ (United States)

Ten Words to You

Jersey, Darling

Fernweh

A Latonic Love

Why I Write

My Cake

The characters I create are the pieces of me that make me whole. One might constantly be worrying and the other might be carefree. People have layered personalities and each on of my characters is a layer in my cake. Each one of them can be broken apart, but with a specific knife. Not one of them slices the same. My cake isn't one flavor but rather thousands. Each flavor may not appeal to one 'Person' but they can pick their favorite and every once in a while there will be people that like all your flavors.

The Ones

We are the colours in the blackened sky
We are the self aware
The ones who have figured it out
We are the ones they don't want to you to see
Like a pathetic utopia out of a ya novel
Cast into the gutters and damned to hell
Expected to just fit in and but the same shoes
But we won't
And they don't like it
They don't like that we know how demented and disturbed they really are
They try to twist un into their wicked games and play wit our heads
We are the cracked spine in their new book and the scratch on their hardwood...

Writing Small

Flickering Flames

Ghosts

Th  
    e
      Gh
          o
             sts
                 O
                   f
                     F
                       a
                          ll
                             i
                               ng
                                    I
                                      n 
                         ...

Mixtape

Pretty Odd Mixtape

1. Alone Together, Fall Out Boy
​"Lets be alone together, we can stay young forever."
​We can love each other but we can be our own people. We are not joined at the hip. Let me be me and I will let you be you, even when we are together.
​2. Future Hearts, All Time Low
​"We got scars on our future hearts but we never look back."
​I'm broken, you're broken, they're broken. So we band together and we never look back on who says we can't and who doubts what we can-and what we will, do.
3. Even ​If It Breaks Your Heart, Eli Young Band
​"Way back on the radio dial, a fire got lit inside a bright eyed child. Every note just wrapped around his soul, from steel guitars to Memphis all the way to rock and roll."
​I was exposed to music at a young age and it my biggest passion. I love every...

On the Last Day of the World

The Final Day

I would plant a kiss,
right on your beatufly quiet lips.

Guidance

May the world one day accept all of its differences
Allow it to see injustice and embrace change  
Give it the courage to break free of its past chains

But do not hand it its tools

Make the world wade though the mud of realization
Let the world protests the past
Show it the way to equality

But do not give it peace

It will never be satisfied
Nor ever have the patience to get there
May it taste the satiffaction

But don't give it too much

There's reason the richer get richer
Close the gap of otherwise worthless paper
Let it find a balance

Show it the way but don't let it take your heart

Flash Autobiography

One Day

The noise of a big city thrives off negativity. Bright lights of Times Square clash with the belting voice of Broadway; yet how connected it all felt. Looking up to sky through a narrow window, surrounded by skyscrapers. At night the only stars are the pixels on the billboards as they flash famous faces and advertisements.
    I've been in January, to see the last of Christmas fade away with the tourists, but never during Pride month. In a time when our nation is divided by hatred and bigotry it was reassuring to say the least. Rainbows waved across the streets, MTV in big colorful letters, peace signs hanging above door, the rainbow header on my playbill, and the people. Maybe it all hinged on the fact I was there to see Kinky Boots, but I don;t think it was.
    Store owners put up those flags. MTV changed the color of their letters, Times Square flashed rainbows. Kinky Boots...

Omniscient Lens

Grounded

I've captured the days in a near perfect rendition
You can dig a little deeper to remember them all 
I'll stick in your shoes as a potent reminder when it all goes wrong
You can find me the second you step out your door

Don't worry I won't tell when you sneak out 
or when you skip class

Just don't forget about me
I'm not ahigher power or some sort of demon
Just the roots under you
keeping you grounded

Your Voice: Globalization

In the U.S.A?

We are fighting over whether some people have the same rights as others. Whether people who are willing to fight for a country can. There is a fine line between freedom of speech and hate speech. I have freedom of speech and am able to write this about my government; but I cannot walk down the street with a Nazi flag yelling about killing people of other races, or denying lgbt+ people marriage licences.
If I feed four people and not someone else and someone says. "they deserve food too". If I respond, "Everyone deserves food" I still have not fed that person. Yes all lives matter, but we need to focus on black lives right now. We can't let innocent people die, ever.
Take a trip to Germany. Not anywhere do you see a statue of a Nazi soldier or Hitler. They are no where to be found. Take a trip to the southern states of America. I guarantee...

Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Falling

Like Lighting; she fell from the sky. Landing with a sword in hand and a metal plate across her chest. Standing with authority in-front of the capital building. Security pages the National Guard. The swat teem had her surrounded. They yell for her to put the sword down. The hinges of the knee plates of her boot creaked; making the officers flinch. She reaches up to brush the hair out of her eyes they catch mine. Holding my gaze as I looked her up and down. Wondering where she's from. Then she ran like the Devil. Right to me. 

Talking to “You”

The Car Chaser

You know how it goes. Family road trips down a rocky coast. You're bored. Watching the pebbles blend together on the side of the road is monotonous. Your little sibling is finally asleep and your Dad looks tiered as he drives.
Dark trees run together and then It starts to form. Running at a break-neck speed; keeping up with the car.
Running on pointed toes at the end of long legs. Running through thick trees and high grass; barely coming to the beasts ankles. You can see a clearance coming up along the road and the beast shrinks down, nearly crawling. It rises again with the trees and it's lanky arms swinging like Spanish moss. You begin to make our broad shoulders and a small, almost cartoon like head without features.
And then its over.
The car swings into a hotel parking lot and your Mom reaches back to wake up your sibling.

Zoom Out

Coffee Shop Kaleidoscope

Lavender hair strikes against a bare, deep tan wall. Her eyes are focused through thick round lenses on a led screen. The fleshy colour of her lips turns a light red with the sip of her coffee. A As she slides one leg over the other the leather chair creaks against her black, denim jeans.
Dark hard wood clashes with her woven bag, lying adjacent to her feet.
Panning left, a line of cafeine depleted people rock back on their heels as their tempers rise. Artfully written signs advertise new drinks, overpriced and underwhelming.
The front door squeals as it opens. Bricks begin to smooth out on the historic facade. Maroon heels clicking snap all attention as she walks out to a car.
Leaving a crinkled imprint in worn yellow leather.

Living in Music

Beautiful Things by Grayscale

We often forget the good and beautiful world around us while we dwell on our demons. Wishing we could ultimately escape it all.
Forever.
All we need is someone to remind us of our own beauty and how beautiful the world can truly be. Even as evil seems to wrap the world in an inescapable fog. While the task of cutting through evil seems impossible, what is on the other side can truly be amazing.
"If only I could change the world you view". Imagine what the world would look like through fresh eyes. Loving eyes. Filled with the optimism the majority of us lack. I want to get there. I want to see it. I want to fall in love there. Fall in love with me. With everyone. I want to change the world I view.

Hollow Streets

The chill of winter has captured the city
in still
People seem lethargic as the gears within them freeze over
Your breath leaves a circle on the cold, brittle glass

Frayed pieces of old yarn fall to the ground as
people walk
Leather gloves hang loose from people's pockets
Pom-poms bobble as bustling people swim through a concrete river

Hollow eyes dry as the wind blows the last traces of life away
Rosé cheeks turned down to the ground to hold any last warmth
Body's get lost is the thick wool and brass buttons of Sac’s

Memories of flowers seeping through the cracks haunt you
Dreams of blue skies are crushed by another grey day
Hope of new life plague the minds of empty people in the streets

Monotonous days roll over into one another as weeks turn to months
Sleepless nights crawl by like the traffic once would
Anxious people scowl as the clock strikes twelve

Waiting for a glimpse of the new life of spring stalls...

I'm Not Leaving

Everybody's watching
Shut up.
Fix your shirt, it's too low
Nobody cares.
They all do. Look at them stare
Go away.
You wish. Ugh, did you even shower today
I did my hair and makeup.
And it's horrible
It's fine.
No wonder he left you, you're a mess
I am not
Yes you are, you can't even bother to dress nice
I'm dress perfectly fine.
Ha. Look at her, in the dress. Him, in the tuxedo
She's beautiful.
Now you're catching on
No. I'm pretty too.
In your dreams
The guy is stunning.
You'll never get a man like him
So what.
He's out of your league, you couldn't even walk next to him
Nock it off. I'm beautiful
What did I tell you
Get out of my head.
I'm here to stay, darling
Just leave me.
When are you gonna get it
Not today.
You're a disgrace. Look how everyone else is dressed
I have my own style.
Yeah,...

Truths and Untruths

Darling Don't You Wish

Wouldn't it be great if we were 
Equal
In love
Accepted
Cherished
Free to be
Rebels
Young again
Wealthy
Honest
Beautiful

But we are
Working
Tired
Exhausted
Trying
Hoping
Falling apart
Dreaming 
Broke
Running
Unlucky
Wishing

It Matters How This Ends

The words they said get lost in the tide,
no one could be swept away by the current.
We were all-for once-on the same ride,
and we were no longer transparent.

I don't think you see what you've done for us,
but we must protect it.
None of us mean to cause a fuss,
they see us like a bunch of misfits.

Our hope runs strong,
they can't take that from us.
We've managed to get this far along,
but the path wasn't painless.

We held on to our heart and out wit,
and we're doing pretty good.
Yet we are still trying not to lose it,
even if we're misunderstood.

No matter what they tell us,
we will stand strong and proud
We won't ever have enough,
Until our voices are heard clear and loud

I feel I should tell you now,
holding us together was your simple melody
At this point now you may take your bow,
because...

Filtered World

I've had this thing on my face since I was five. That means I remember what it was like to breath without this-be able to breath without a plastic container on my face.
​No. I don't have a respiratory problem or some freak disease. The air quality has plummeted, the generation before us never fixed the air pollution and now we breath the oxygen made by plants. There is a clear plastic box with exactly seven plants inside-no more, no less. On the side are two filters taking in the carbon dioxide filled air allowing the plants to absorb it. in front of my nose and mouth are filters again to take in the carbon dioxide free air. All that is left is I breath.
​Since I was five I have dreamed of fixing the air and getting these things ​of everyone's faces. We study alternative energy in science class every year and I take more notes than a score of...

Love In A Photograph

We met in the horrid, frozen winter of 1834. You had on the most breathtaking gown I have ever laid eyes on. I told you about my kind, the Immortals, you said you would take me for who I was but were afraid you couldn't join me. I understood perfectly. So at every chance we had we took a picture of us. Be it in the park or at dinner. I kept them all and they take up three whole pages in our photo album.
    I found you again in the blooming spring of 1922. The beaded fringe on you cocktail dress lured me in like a fish. The fester sticking out of you hair reminded me of the design engraved on the pen you used for your stories back in 1834. These small details-and you aura itself- I feel will help me find you each time around. We dated for three years and that was when I told you...

Turned to Stone

Falling

She fell from the sky. Landed on her feet with a sword in her hand and a metal plate across her chest. She stood with authority in-front of the capital building. A security guard reached for his walkies and paged the National Guard. Within minuets the swat teem had her surrounded. One of them yelled out telling her to put her sword down. The wind caught the leather flaps of her skirt as she straightened herself upright. The hinges of the knee plates of her boot creaked; making the officers flinch. She reached up to brush the hair out of her eyes and caught mine. She wouldn't break my gaze as I looked her up and down. Wondering from where she could possibly have arrived. Then she ran like the Devil. Right. To. Me.

Lyrics Unsung

Camisado by Panic! At The Disco

The sonf Camisado was featuerd on Panic! At The Disco's first album and I wrote a little prologue to the overdose situation depicted in the song.

The clock struck three a.m. while his head hit the floor. Hard. Just like the drugs. He was supposed to quit two years ago. Then he relapsed, again. Like it was nothing he swallowed six the moment we left those years ago. Now he could take six and not feel a thing. He was walking a tight rope down a very, very slippery slope. Long and behold he fell. Someone called 911 and they found him unconscious on his bathroom floor with his arm stuck in a towel rack, his head smacked against the sink, and his legs were tangled under his body. Not a long fall. They called me at four in the morning to tell me, "your son is in intensive care and seems to have overdosed." Surprised? No. Disappointed? Ashamed?...

The Rest of Us

We make up the best of the unseen population. Lurking right under your nose to make the world the place you love. Yet when you see us on the street you pay us no mind. If you only knew the great lengths we have gone to save you; not ourselves. We put our personal lives on the back burner to make something unique to dissolve the darkest thoughts plaguing your mind. Not once will we complain for it is what we love to do. Have we bit off more than we can chew? No. But I can assure you that question lurks in our minds.
    We are the Musicans, the Writers, and the Shrinks. 

Poetry and Spoken Word Competition

It Matters How This Ends

The words they sing sweep us up in the tide,
We were all-for once-on the same ride,
and we were no longer transparent.

but we must protect it.
None of us mean to cause a fuss,
they see us like a bunch of misfits.

Our hope runs strong,
they can't take that from us.
We've managed to get this far along,
but the path wasn't painless.

We held on to our heart and out wit,
and we're doing pretty good.
Yet we are still trying not to lose it,
even if we're misunderstood.

You kept us holding on,
​when others shut us out.
​And when the sun rises at dawn,
we will go on without a doubt.

I feel I should tell you now,
because all you...

Op-Ed Competition 2017

Freedom of Speech

It is a shame the meticulous work the founders of our Constitution did is being taken out of context. As Americans, we are given many liberties other countries are not. Freedom of speech is one of them however, no one should be allowed to purposefully show hate or discrimination to one person or group through words.
    Minorities have been discriminated against in the country and around the world for centuries. Discrimination occurs in more than just race; people are made fun of now because of sexuality, wealth, life style, and ect. Our country gives its civilians more rights than many other countries in the world. Several of those rights are controversial or under assault. Freedom of speech is not labeled to be controversial, but people take it out of context. We all are entitled to voice our opinion, however there is a time and place. Our government gives us the right to voice or opinion, but there is no good reason for hate speech. Hate...

1 Photo, 100 Words

The Aquarium

I can't help but notice the different faces in the crowd. One woman has her lips pursed as she stares. The man adjacent to me has on a hat the would make you assume his youth however when her turned his head I was awestruck by his wise eyes sunken into his skull. Watching the fish swim in a frantic haphazard motion creates a ambiance of chaos stemming through the crowd. I slip back to the edge of the mass and can't help but think when we pull back the layers of  complexity we are not unlike our animal companions.

Unnamed

BLACK

The luring color of the greatest dephth of space
The color of the eyeliner you wear to impress them
​The swirling dizzying part of every illusion
The pirceing color of the night
The tiles of marble in the halls
​The darkness in the pits of your eyes
​The fabric of your favorite dress
​The color when you close you eyes

Names, Names, Names

Names

A breakfast joint- Coffee For One
A new smartphone-  B.O.B. T (Best of the Best Technology)
An eyeglasses store- Nifty Shades
A dog pound- WLYA (We love you anyway)
A highway- Highway 22
An island resort- Alone Doesn't Mean Lonely
A new constellation- Nos Coeurs (Our Hearts in French)
A pet polar bear- Nala (Kora from my favorite show as a child had a pet polar bear named Nala)
A nail polish color- Love Yourself
A new butterfly species-​ Vie Ailée (it means winged life in French)

Novel Writing Competition 2016

Sing Me Their Song

A Simple Note

I feel I got free pass, cheated, something so inevitable. Just to relieve someone else's built up pain. Something I spent my life trying to do. I was ninety-seven years old, bedridden, feeling guilty for what I was doing to those around me. My story telling is in no way a comparison to my friend. We are all told our bedtime stories. Each a fairytale in its own right. All things aside here is what happened.

The Beginning

“Nanna? Would like anything before we leave.” My lovely nine year old granddaughter, Eva, comes into my room with a sweet smile on her face.
    “Just  a glass of water will be fine”, the scratch in my throat never seems to go away.
    Evanitries skips out of my room and down the hall to the small kitchen. I hear her tell my daughter, Margaret, my request and she sighs and speaks.
    “Take this to her and tell her...

1 Photo, 20 Words

Creativity

Creativity can blossom from the oddest of places. Explode from the greatest depths of the dark, with elegance of coarse.

Walking

Elisa Fields

Elisa Fields kept only the essentials in the pocket of he beat up wool coat. Heels clicked on the old cobblestone ally road as London fog swirled at her feet. Rust orange curls hung around her face and to the small of her back. Her stride was small and reserved, she kept a constant pace. No faster- no slower. One small run in her stocking ran from her ankle to the middle of her calf; stretching with each step. Living in the moment was not something Elisa did. Her pace was fast, close to a jog, always trying to move faster. Rushing to the future.   

Rachel A.'s 3 Likes

"Liar." by KayDee

Published about 1 year ago

Self note: by tarinooo.x

Published about 1 year ago

Just a Little Heartbreak by The_One_Who_Lives

Published about 1 year ago

16 Likes from Others

Falling

Liked by 1 person

My Cake

Liked by 1 person

The Ones

Liked by 2 people

The Final Day

Liked by 1 person

You Are Perfect

Liked by 4 people

Guidance

Liked by 2 people

I'm Not Leaving

Liked by 3 people

You Are Perfect

Liked by 2 people

In the U.S.A?

Liked by 1 person

Falling

Liked by 1 person

Coffee Shop Kaleidoscope

Liked by 1 person

It Matters How This Ends

Liked by 1 person

Love In A Photograph

Liked by 1 person

The Sweater

Liked by 1 person

BLOOM

Liked by 1 person

My Cake

Liked by 2 people

Good neighbor

We like your photo and your biography.

Earned 3 months ago

Pro reviewer

You've now submitted over five reviews!

Earned 5 months ago

Self editor

You've published multiple versions of the same piece

Earned about 1 year ago

Follower

You're following over five other writers.

Earned about 1 year ago

Supporter

You're following over 10 other writers right now.

Earned 3 months ago

Leader

You're being followed by over five other writers!

Earned 9 months ago

Power writer

Do you ever sleep? You've written over TEN THOUSAND WORDS.

Earned 3 months ago

Publisher

You've gone live!

Earned about 1 year ago

Prolific

You really are prolific - you've published over ten pieces already.

Earned about 1 year ago

Favoriter

Love your work - you've read and favorited over ten pieces published by others

Earned about 1 year ago

Popular penman

Very nicely done - you've got over ten favorites.

Earned 3 months ago

Reviewer

You've reviewed!

Earned about 1 year ago

Competitor

Thanks for entering a competition.

Earned about 1 year ago

Admirer inactive

Follow over twenty other writers to become an admirer!

Best seller inactive

Get over twenty favorites for one of your published pieces and you'll be a bestseller.

Luminary inactive

Publish one hundred pieces and you'll be a luminary.

Master reviewer inactive

Write and publish over fifty reviews to become a Master Reviewer

Patron inactive

Become a patron of writers - follow over thirty of them.

Super star inactive

Get your writing career glittering with more than thirty followers.

Top critic inactive

Submit over fifteen reviews and you'll be a top critic.