How it Works

Sign up for Write the World and join a global community of young writers.

Explore our ever-changing library of prompts as you establish a daily writing practice and expand your repertoire of writing styles, all the while building your portfolio of polished work.

See your writing improve as you find your own voice. Enter competitions and challenges for the chance to receive feedback from authors, writing teachers, and other experts in the field.

Writing is a social act. By joining this vibrant community, you can share work and exchange feedback with writers from all over the world. Remember that words are powerful. In joining the Write the World community and publishing online you are responsible for your words. Check out our Writing Guidelines for further details.

Earn badges along the way as you build your writing portfolio!

Sign Up    Start Writing

Writing Prompts

When you’re feeling less than inspired, a prompt can help get you writing.

Write away writer’s block, push beyond your comfort zone, and try out an array of topics and styles—from op-eds to poems, from flash fiction to memoir.

How it works prompts

Share your work and don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Reaching out to the community for feedback is a big step towards a polished final draft.

Go to Prompts

Competitions

A first draft is never perfect...

By entering competitions, writers have the chance to receive peer and expert feedback before submitting a final draft. Broaden your horizons as a writer, expand your writing community, and gain public recognition for your work.

HOW COMPETITIONS WORK:

How it works diagram

Writing is a social activity.

The best writers draft and redraft their work - often based on the feedback they receive from their writing community.

Peer review screenshot

By engaging in peer review, writers:

• Get valuable feedback
  • Share work with a wide audience
  • Gain fresh perspectives and develop insight into their own writing process
  • Critically engage with the work of others
  • Make connections with others in the Write the World community

Click on the link below to learn more!

How to write a 5-Star Review

Groups

Write Together - Join a Writing Group

Do you have a particular interest in travel writing? Perhaps you'd love to be a sports journalist, or you're looking to work with other young poets? Write the World Groups provides a platform for working with other young writers who share your interests. Start by browsing our existing Groups, and if don’t see one that interests you, let us know and we’ll create one!

Interested in creating and managing an online space for students to practice their writing? Write the World Groups provides an easy-to-use platform for creating prompts, rubrics, and resources for all types of writing and subject areas to meet your curriculum objectives. As a group manager, you can create assignments, facilitate peer review, comment on student work, and measure your students’ growth through individual portfolios. Membership for your group can be set to “public” or “private” depending on your needs.

For more information on how you can use Write the World in your class, click here.

If you are interested in starting your own private group, or have suggestions for topics for a new Group, please click the Request a Group button below, and fill in the requested information on the Contact Us form. The Write the World team will evaluate your request and get back to you within 48 hours.

Go to Groups     Request a Group

Please note that, unless otherwise stated, group managers are not affiliated with Write the World. Please report any offensive or dubious material to Write the World immediately via hello@writetheworld.com or Flag the piece within the website. Please exercise usual internet safety precautions regarding privacy and personal information. Remember that people using the internet are not always who they say they are. For further details on internet safety go to: http://www.childnet.com/young-people/secondary