If you forget your password, click [Login] on the top menu and then click “Reset it now” under the “Already a Member?” login button. Enter your email address, and then click “Reset it now.” You will receive an email with a link to create a new password.

If you forget which email address you used to sign up, send an email to support@writetheworld.com. Please include your user name in the email, and we will send you your email address.

To update your profile picture, click [Profile] in the left corner of the top menu bar. Click [Update Profile] under your current photo. Scroll to the bottom of the next page and upload a new image file.

You can choose any image for your profile picture up to a file size of 5MB. Since we display your chosen image in a small square, the dimensions of your image should be at least 200x200.

To unsubscribe to weekly emails, click [Profile] in the left corner of the top menu bar. Click [Update Profile] under your photo. Scroll to the bottom of the next page and uncheck the blue box next to “I want to receive updates and news from Write the World.”

For optimal performance we recommend using Chrome, as it detects an update automatically and we support the latest version (currently Chrome 40). We also support the current and previous major releases of Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari on a rolling basis. Each time a new version is released, we begin supporting that version and stop supporting the third most recent version. As of now this includes:

• Chrome 40+
  • IE 11, IE 10
  • Safari 8, 7
  • Firefox 35, 34

Write the World works best on all newer (<3 years) MAC and PC based desktops, laptops, tablets and smart phones. The screen will change if you switch to a smaller device, but all of the same features are available.

To edit a published piece of writing, go to your profile, and then click the [Published Work] tab in the upper menu. Click the title of the piece you would like to work on. On the next page, just above the title, you’ll see the option to [continue writing].

Short tutorial video coming soon.

There are a couple ways to unpublish a piece of writing. If you are in the writing template view, click [See all saved versions and publishing options]. On the next page, you’ll see a list of all your saved versions, as well as which versions have been published. Click [Options] and then [Unpublish this version] in the drop-down menu. Alternatively, if you are on the homepage, go to your profile, and then click the [Published Work] tab in the upper menu. Click the title of the piece you would like to work on. On the next page, just above the title, click [manage versions]. Then click [Options] next to the date of the version and select “Unpublish this Version” in the drop-down menu.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

You can delete an unpublished piece of writing at any time by clicking [See all saved versions and publishing options]. On the next page, you’ll see a list of all your saved versions, Click [Options] and then [Delete this version] in the drop-down menu. To delete a published piece of writing you must first "unpublish" (turn it back into a draft)—see FAQ below.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

To unpublish a piece of writing, go to your profile, and then click on the [Published Work] tab in the upper menu. Click on the title of the piece you would like to work on. On the next page, just above the title, click on [manage versions]. Then click the [Options] next to the version’s date, and select “unpublish this version” in the drop-down menu.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

To see prior versions, click on a piece of writing in your portfolio, and then click [See all saved versions and publishing options]. On the next page, you’ll see a chronological list of all your saved versions.

Once you’ve submitted your writing for expert review, there is no way to “unsubmit.” Please send an email to hello@writetheworld.com if you need to speak with one of our team members about this.

At this point, you can’t upload your own cover image for your writing. In the future, we’re hoping to make this optional for your free writing pieces. Stay tuned!

Plagiarism, or the copying and/or reproducing of someone else's writing and/or ideas, is taken seriously at Write the World. By taking another person's idea and claiming it as your own, you are stealing something valuable from them. If you publish work that is found to be plagiarized, it will be removed from the site. If you continue to deliberately publish plagiarized work, you will lose your membership to Write the World. We are also happy to help you navigate the world of citations—please contact Clare at clare@writetheworld.com or Liza at liza@writetheworld.com if you have any questions.

To write a peer review, go to any piece of published writing, and click on [Write Review] at the bottom of the piece. Make sure to read the “Message to Readers” which appears under the writer’s photograph—this will tell you what kind of feedback the author is seeking.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

You can't edit a peer review after submitting it. However, you can add comments to the bottom of a published piece of writing at any time.

If you’re worried about another writer based on the topics they’re writing about, please send an email listing their username, title of their writing, and the nature of your concern to hello@writetheworld.com.

If you notice that another writer has copied your work, please send an email listing the student's username and the title of the published piece of writing to hello@writetheworld.com.

If you notice inappropriate content in comments or peer reviews, please send an email listing the student's username and the title of the published piece of writing to hello@writetheworld.com.

Badges are our way of recognizing the good work you do as a member of Write the World. For example, you’ll receive a “Best Seller” badge when you get over twenty likes for one of your published pieces, or a “Pro Reviewer” badge when you submit over five reviews. To see all the badges, click [How It Works] on the homepage, and then click [Earn Badges].

A peer review responds to the prompt guidelines and peer review questions, and takes into account the “Message to Readers” from the author. Valuable peer reviews offer both positive and constructive feedback, and are honest, caring, and supportive. For more on Peer Reviews, click [How It Works] on the homepage, and then click [Peer Review] in the left menu. For tips on writing reviews, click [How to write a 5-Star Review]. Comments, on the other hand, are not in response to specific questions, and may be more general in nature. As with reviews, make sure your comments are positive and growth-oriented. Perhaps you just want to express your appreciation for a piece of writing: “I love this piece! Brilliant!”

Short tutorial video coming soon.

To follow another writer, click on their name or on the title of one of their published pieces and then click [follow], which appears just below their profile. You can go to your dashboard to see a list of everyone you are following, as well as other writers who are following you.

To like a piece of writing, click on the star that appears in the upper right corner of a published piece of work. You can go to your dashboard to see all of your likes.

Jumpstarter Challenges are short, fun prompts that serve as a regular exercise to keep you in top writing condition. After the Challenge deadline, we’ll feature a selected entry and peer review, chosen by our team of expert writers.

We post a new Jumpstarter Challenge every two weeks, except when a competition is running.

Write the World holds 4-6 competitions per year.

Competition winners are selected by a guest judge. We will notify winners via email before posting the results on our website and blog.

If you don’t receive your prize, please contact hello@writetheworld.com.

If you are a graduate student, educator, or author, please email review@writetheworld.com for more information about becoming an expert reviewer.

We work closely with partners to critically engage students around curriculum relevant to your organization through competitions, writing resources, and our team of expert reviewers. To learn more, please email us at competitions@writetheworld.com.

To join a group, click on [Groups] in the top menu bar, and then click on the group you would like to join. On the next page, click [Join this Group].

If you no longer wish to be a member of a group, email us at hello@writetheworld.com and let us know.

If you would like to manage a group or have an idea for a new topic or genre for a group (that you want us to manage) click on [Groups] in the top menu bar, and then click [Request a Group]. Fill out the form on the next page, and someone from Write the World will respond to you within a few days.

In the top menu bar, click on [Dashboard] or [Groups]. For groups where you are a designated manager, you will see [Manage Group] next to the group name. Click [Manage Group] to access the Group Manager menu options.

A review of a student’s work by a teacher, writer or other expert in the field. Expert Reviewers refer to a rubric to help ensure their feedback is consistent.

A review of a young writer’s work by another young writer. Peer Reviewers provide commentary based on a set of questions around the prompt. They may also provide their own general review. Peer review benefits the reviewer as much as the writer, cultivating skills in critical thinking and communication.

The assigned leader of a Write the World group. This may be a teacher, a writing group leader, or a young writer interested in leading other students.

The theme, topic, or question provided to stimulate a written response.

This type of prompt has no deadlines and group members can submit writing at any time. OPEN prompts have the peer review function, but no expert review.

This type of prompt has no deadlines, but expert review is available in addition to peer review. Group members can submit drafts for review at any time.

This type of prompt includes deadlines, by which date(s) students must submit drafts for expert review. This is the option to choose for a competition!

A scoring tool that expert reviewers use to evaluate a piece of writing. Criteria often include areas such as organization, purpose, voice, and mechanics. Rubrics help expert reviewers to provide consistent, growth-oriented feedback. Students can also use rubrics to guide and shape their writing process, becoming more thoughtful judges of the quality of their own work, as well as that of their peers.

Supplemental material (websites, documents, videos) that the writer may need to inform their response to the prompt.

Click [Group Settings] in the Group Manager menu. From here you can view or edit the group name and description, the privacy settings, the membership type, approve reviews, and change the group’s image.

Watch our short tutorial video:

Click [Members] in the Group Manager menu. You’ll see a list of all group members, and from here you can designate members as group managers, expert reviewers, or remove members from the group.

Watch our short tutorial video:

To create a new prompt, click [Writing Prompts] in the Group Manager menu. Click [Create from Scratch] to develop a new prompt. Give your prompt a name and write a “Short Description” and “Full Description”. You can also add “Banner Text” like New Prompt or Competition! that appears above the prompt image. Under “Writing Type”, enter the genre of the prompt—for example, is it a short story? A persuasive essay? A journal entry? Next, decide whether your prompt will be "Open", "Open with Expert Review", or "Structured Prompt With Deadlines (Rounds)". Finally, select a prompt image by uploading a file. Click [Save Prompt]. The next page will allow you to add peer review questions, rubrics, and resources depending on the type of prompt you created. Then you can activate your prompt.

Watch our short tutorial video:

To select from Write the World’s list of prompts, click [Writing Prompts] in the Group Manager menu. Click [Select From Our Prompts]. After you choose a prompt, you can edit any of the prompt details, or change the type of prompt to add or delete due dates, expert review, rubrics, etc. Click [Save Prompt]. The next page will allow you to add peer review questions, rubrics, and resources depending on the type of prompt you created. Then you can activate your prompt.

Watch our short tutorial video:

Click [Writing Prompts] in the Group Manager menu. Click [Create from Scratch]. Give your competition a name and write a “Short Description” and “Full Description”. You can also add “Banner Text” like Competition! that appears above the prompt image. Under “Writing Type”, enter the genre of the prompt—for example, is it a short story? A persuasive essay? A journal entry? Under “Type of Prompt”, click Structured Prompt With Deadlines (Rounds). Check the gray competition box, and fill in the competition deadline calendar. Finally, select an image for your competition by uploading a file, and click [Save Prompt]. The next page asks you for peer review questions, rounds (deadlines for drafts), and a rubric. After you’ve added these details, you can activate your competition.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

On the Prompt Overview page, click [Add Peer Review Questions]. Click the blank gray box to display the drop down menu. Select a set of questions from the drop down list. You can then edit or delete the sample questions or create your own peer review questions from scratch. We recommend that peer review questions are tailored as much as possible for their particular prompt.

Watch our short tutorial video:

When you create a prompt with expert review (“Open Prompt With Expert Reviews” or “Structured Prompt With Deadlines”), you will be cued to add a rubric before you can activate the prompt. Click [Add a Rubric], and then click the blank gray bar to display a dropdown menu with several different kinds of rubrics. Click the rubric in the list that best matches the genre and writing type of your prompt. On the next page, scroll down to the bottom to view the current rubric categories. You can edit or delete any of the existing categories, change the name of the rubric to match your prompt, or create new categories using the form at the top of the page.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

After creating your prompt, click [Save Writing Prompt], which will take you to the “Prompt Overview” page. Click [Add a Resource] and follow the directions to add a website, text, PDF, or video resource for writers to refer to when responding to the prompt. Remember to click [Create Resource] when you're happy with the resource you've selected.

Watch our short tutorial video:

Click [All Writing] in the Group Manager menu to view a page that features all the writing that group members have started or published. Click through the tabs to view the following categories: All Writing, Published Writing, Submitted Writing, Final Writing, Reviews in Progress, Submitted Reviews, and Shared Reviews.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

Click [All Writing] in the Group Manager menu to view and track the group’s activity. Click the tabs at the top of the page to view Reviews in Progress, Submitted Reviews, and Shared Reviews.

Short tutorial video coming soon.

When you create a prompt with expert review (“Open Prompt With Expert Reviews” or “Structured Prompt With Deadlines”), you will need to designate Expert Reviewers to evaluate the submitted writing. First, add your Expert Reviewers to your group (if they’re not already members). Then click [Members] in the Group Manager menu. Under the Reviewer column, click [Set as Reviewer] to give expert reviewer status, or [Revoke Reviewer] to remove expert reviewer status. An automatic email will be sent to the member notifying them that they can conduct an expert review. This is also the place to designate yourself as an Expert Reviewer!

Short tutorial video coming soon.

When you create a prompt with expert review (“Open Prompt With Expert Reviews” or “Structured Prompt With Deadlines”), you will need to assign Expert Reviewers to evaluate the submitted writing. Click [Writing Prompts] in the Group Manager menu and then click the prompt for which you want to assign Expert Reviewers. On the top of the page, click the [Submitted] tab. The “State” column indicates whether the expert review is Unassigned, Assigned, In Progress, or Completed. For writing that shows “Unassigned”, click [Show] to the right of each submission. On the next page, under the heading “Assign Expert Reviewer”, you’ll see a dropdown menu of Expert Reviewers. If you would like to approve reviews (both expert and peer) before they are shared with the writer, then click [Group Settings] in the Group Manager menu. Scroll down and check the box next to “Reviews need approval.”

Short tutorial video coming soon.

Click [Announcements] in the Group Manager menu. Click [Create New Announcement] and type your message in the text field.

Watch our short tutorial video:

When viewing others’ writing, anyone can flag inappropriate material by clicking [FLAG] in the upper righthand corner of published piece of writing, and then selecting either “Offensive or innapropriate content or language,” “Potential plagiarism or uncited sources,” or “Other.” The Group Manager will see a list of any flagged writing on their dashboard. They can view and remove flagged material by clicking [Flags] in the Group Manager menu, then [Show] in the list, and finally, clicking [remove this version] to hide the version from the group.

Short tutorial video coming soon.