Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

Two Dimensional, Ten Dimensional

As I sat in the park today, the sun slowly burning my face, innocuous pop music pouring in from the construction site across the street, the world ended. And I am sure it is still ending, somewhere, at some time.

Even under the blue sky, my vision is very narrow, limited by a stagnant, stubborn variety of concentration. I was sprawled out on my gingham picnic blanket, squinting at my book, when the sky fell. 

A gnat crash-landed on my toe, its corpse explicitly real, unnaturally still. My foot twitched. Irritated, I looked up from my book. At first, I thought it was just a spec of dirt, but a second glance revealed wings and legs and guts. I scrapped its splattered insides off my skin, grimacing at the black sludge on my fingernail. It’s amazing how fast we go from something to nothing. Point A to Point B, it’s a two-dimensional, ten-dimensional transformation. 

I dug my fingers into the fertile earth beneath me. I tuned into the music: the radio waves, the radiation, my burning ears, my burning nose. Then terrified, raised my book above my head, blocking the sun.
Funny thing: I was actually reading Annie Dillard's Pilgrim at Tinker Creek in the park. I prefer to let someone as brilliant as Annie Dillard experience life for me:) 

2

• jellybean568

Re: Thank you so much!

I think it's really amazing how you are able to pinpoint details of a poem and I admire your analysis it in a way that sometimes, writing it, I can't even explain

In this piece, I really like the contrast between the whole world ending/sky falling juxtaposed with a gnat and a mundane setting/activity. I'm guessing that maybe the theme is that what might seem like a huge ending for something (the gnat) is easily ignored by the speaker, until something larger (the sun) can no longer be ignored.

& yes, congratulations on our win :)

• Avril

Oh this is really good. Your descriptions are beautiful. I love this line: "And I am sure it is till ending, somewhere, at some time." It's so interesting to think that creatures die all the time and we just keep on living our lives.

RE: Thank you!! And aww, lucky!

Re: Non, c'est ok. C'est difficile, n'est ce-pas?

Heyyy- here’s the link to a post (scroll to the footnotes) that’s going to explain what I’m going to do with my book.
    No worries if you opt-out (that’ll make more sense when you read the post! XD) because I know you’re really busy. Anyways, hope you’re having a great day! :)

Re: Ah oui! Tu parles le francais?

Re: Oh good. And that's fine! :D But the conversation seemed to disappear..

Oh, what happened with our conversation? Did I offend you?

• Odyssey

Really good!

Showed this to my brother and he said "That's amazing in ways I don't think I even understand" which is very true

How is everything you write a masterpiece help