Paisley Blue

they/them | 6.2.2020
genderfluid | christian

I've gotten into a habit of writing letters to an imaginary friend...

coastline; cityscape

driving at night and the coastline slides out of frame (where the waves sing to the shore my footprints melt into soft swirls; and the water is sweetly cold; and the driftwood tells me tales of shipwrecks and pirates and wanderlust lovers; and the sky swoons under the moon's white gaze; the shore; the shore)

headlights where sand lifts in sighs and breezes over the highway riddled with potholes; and the music is all the same (crooning about lost love and fantasies) playing so low that all you hear are the end of the words without a melody; and there's no one else on the road; and all the while the indigo-black coastline slips silently away;

lazy blinkers and wordless lane changes in a sort of dance; a farewell; a promise to everything you've left behind (a promise that you'll never be able to keep; because you know in this moment that you're never going back) but the coast stays in your mind leaving you blind to the cityscape rising above the breathless grey horizon; and morning is coming but the road stretches on;

and now sidewalks edge the street; cracks and telephone lines synchronized in waves disappearing stretching weaving; all the way back to the shore where the waves call; lapping against the bottoms of your shoes no longer; replaced by the endless concrete and steel and hardened hearts; yet here it is silent still; just like the coastline; here the skyscrapers lean to see the sun crouching behind the horizon;

deja vu in reverse; this is not the last time this happens so you keep driving until somehow the sun is rising; and the stars drip down the new sky bleeding; and the moon crashes in the crests of the waves until it calms; and now the city is dropping away in the review mirror;

drive on in search of one more thing to leave behind;

1

also wait yes i love this is a letter to ur imaginary friend <3

my gosh i am in love with this blue howww!? beautiful and melancholy and just little snippets and i do, i feel like im looking out a car window and rhufeiwop also just the word that comes to mind is unrequited love for some reason which is kind of random? okay listening to this song called "pretending" by charlie and i swear a tear dripped down ellllaaaa ahhhhhh ok ok ok. get yourself under control, mir! just the imagery is explosive and and what everyone else said, really... gorgeous, marvelous, wonderful. i love so much. okay anyways how are you ell i know i suck at replying to stuff and i got to get better at doing that. oh! and! u r looking at (well writing with) the prose editor of ice lolly! not on the website yet but soon. XD ;) <3<3<3

• jellybean568

re: Thank you so much!

• Yellow Sweater

Re: Aw thank you so much:)

• rwong

omggg elll!!!!!! the imagery here is so beautiful and like the entire story you tell is so like careful and planned and the tone here is so quiet and peaceful and i can almost hear the waves and see where you are and the entire journey is just *happy sigh* stunning. oh and i'm with busssy.beee about favorite lines, also "where the waves sing to the shore my footprints melt into soft swirls" and "and the driftwood tells me tales of shipwrecks and pirates and wanderlust lovers" and i mean this is just absolutely gorgeous ell. i really love it <3
    re: i'm doing pretty well :) school was meh busy this week like it couldve been much worse so i'm not complaining but i was in-person so it was kinda tiring. who knew in-person school was tiring until you went to do it online?? like whaT but also also also arent you in full in person now? how's that? and how are youuu?

• bhumi

Wow! I absolutely love the imagery used!

• Busssy.Beee

oh gosh, cyn! your diction is just incredible, with phrases like, "deja vu in reverse" and "end of the words without a melody." And your word choice and tone is just so serene and beautiful, each line sounding so lyrical. sometimes, you just ring this deep, calming feeling, and it just gives me chills! you have such a splendid way with your words, i could only fall in love with your writing each time i read it!
    re: yess! me too! have you been well? <3

This is so good! I was taken on a journey with this piece.