livpalmbos

16
Huffleclaw
Daughter of Athena
Peculiar
High Fae
Divergent
Introvert
Aspiring writer
Photography, reading, and writing

"this is my dream, i'll decide where it goes from here"

- alice in wonderland

Sunflowers

Grandpa was a sturdy man with skin as furrowed as the earth of his flower bed, and hands browned by the sun till they were the same hue as the soil they longed to be buried in. The knees of his jeans were stained with dirt and dew as he knelt beside me on the bare earth, showing me how to carve trenches into the ground and tuck sunflower seeds into them, covering them again with a thick blanket of dirt. Grandpa's eyes were warm brown and crinkled at the corners, the skin creased like the petals of the sunflowers I helped him plant, which were pushing their golden heads up from the soil as they searched for the sun with glistening black eyes.
    "I'm not sure if they're going to grow well," Grandpa had said to me - Grandpa had had a voice like trees creaking in the wind, a pleasant, deep timbre - "I'm not sure if the dirt is soft enough, but I'm not going to give up on them."
    And he never did; he watered them and secured their stalks, feeble and thin, to stakes in the ground for support until they were strong enough to grow on their own. He spent every spare moment that he had during the day tending to those flowers, kneeling in the dirt while he tugged weeds from the ground around them and nudging their radiant heads skyward.
    It's been a long time since I've seen Grandpa's silhouette, hunched against the horizon as he tilled the earth of his garden; a long time since I've felt his hands, callused and gritty with a thin film of dirt, around mine. But sometimes, I still go down to his old flower bed to sit and think, pondering legacies as I watch his sunflowers sway in the breeze. 
I chose sunflowers to symbolize the grandfather's kindness and loyalty. They also represent the legacy he left behind for his grandchild, who aspires to be as kind, hardworking, and loyal as he was. 

• livpalmbos

aw thank you all for your lovely comments, these made my day! thank you for reading, and I'm so glad you enjoyed the piece!

I wish i could put it as well as stone of jade; this piece truly feels emotional and sweet and displays the power of love and nature. (btw i love sunflowers! mine are germinating rn and i planted 96)
    Congrats on Monday Musings! (also, your profile and profile pic are lovely)

this is so meaningful and so beautiful. i am so glad it was featured. everything about this shows such love and kindness. amazing job!

This is absolutely beautiful! I love it :D

• Coeur

This is great!!! Congratulations!!

Aww, this is very sweet and I love the descriptions and dialogue! Congrats :)

Oh! This is just perfectly lovely. Congrats on being featured!