Avril

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door."

seventeen years old
joined June 2020
community ambassador alumn!

not really active right now :(

Whoops this is only 13 lines...but either way I've decided that I love sonnets!
Thanks for checking out my piece! Let me know what you think :)

Ode to Poetry

I used to love words
because of the stories they held
the worlds that they painted, 
that I could escape into.
I used to love words because they took me away from myself for a little bit

Now I love words
because they express
what my heart is feeling but my mind can't comprehend
and they caress
my soul as they bleed out from inside of me.
Now I love words because they allow me to understand myself a little bit

Stories are good; I owe to them my childhood
But there is nothing more cathartic than poetry.

1

• Samuelibrahim

Wow! I love this piece, I kinda relate with what you wrote, its really amazing.
    I was also wondering if u don't mind, I'd really be glad if u take out time to review my writings and give me feedback, just started writing so it'd be really great if you could check out what I've got. Thanks

Re: Tysm! Oh it's awesome to meet another follower of Christ!

• Zirong

wow I really like the contrast set up between the first and second stanzas. "Now I love words because they allow me to understand myself a little bit" -- I can relate! Also, I love the fact that you italicised "poetry" in the end -- so many emotions are conveyed through this single word :)

re: thank you so much for your sweet comment! Have a nice day!

• gabsie

Re: thank you so much! I was wondering if you could maybe give my villanelle a review, I'd be really thankful for your feedback :) Hope you're having a great day!

• Parisienne

This is so beautiful! I agree so much with the transition of word's importance from childhood to adulthood (you expressed it so well). My favourite part is 'Now I love words/because they express/what my heart is feeling but my mind can't comprehend/and they caress/my soul as they bleed out from inside of me./Now I love words because they allow me to understand myself a little bit'. Stunning work!
    re: sorry this is a such a late reply but thanks for your comment on cigarette compliments! I actually wrote it about the sort of guy you described, he was hitting on me but I just got the feeling that all of his compliments were empty and reusable. Ah well, at least I got a poem out of the experience :)

Awww I really like this and totally agree. I love "caress/my soul as they bleed out from inside of me" that was just so beautiful!