Avril

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door."

seventeen years old
joined June 2020
community ambassador alumn!

not really active right now :(

Had a busy week so this is a bit late. Not sure what I think of it haha.

Refugees

In the darkest corner of The Great Forest, exactly fourteen paces from the tree with the black hollow, the Main Forest Path branched off onto a narrow dirt trail. And that narrow trail went on for sometime, and if a person walked long enough and searched carefully enough they would find that another narrow trail branched off from that first one.

And at the end of that winding trail, past a shallow, trickling stream and a patch of twisted trees, there was a house. The first thing that everyone who reached the house thought to themselves was that it looked remarkably like...a house. Here, amidst the brambles and the thistles and the towering pine trees was a quaint, homely house; with a chimney that spouted smoke and windows that glowed an orangey-yellow in the evening. 

A brown wooden fence enclosed the home. And if one went beyond the brown wooden fence, through the gate with a latch that could only be opened by human hands, and stood on the threshold of the home, they would find that the door would open only if knocked on a very certain way.

Three knocks. Pause. Two knocks. Pause. One knockState your name.

At this certain moment, inside the house, a woman was slicing mushrooms and brushing them into a large clay pot. Every so often she would steal a glance at a photograph on the windowsill. A picture of two parents and three children standing on a beach so far from this forest that she couldn't get there if she traveled for years. 

In the next room, a young girl whose golden hair - intricately woven into three braids that stayed perfectly intact - betrayed her elvin nature, slept fitfully.

Watching the girl from a worn-looking armchair was a boy of fifteen with shoulder-length black hair. He wore a green velvet hat of the sort that can only be found on the heads of the people from the Windy Village - a village almost 1000 foxen leaps from this dark corner of the forest. As he watched the girl sleep, he kept touching something on his wrist: a bracelet of three overlapping tear-drop shaped leaves with gold trim. A highly-coveted ornament that could only be bought at the Faerie booth in the Stapleton Market.

And just below the window, almost hidden by the long lace curtains, a small girl who could be no older than 17 held a tiny baby. Both baby and girl were dressed entirely in black. Placed neatly on the floor beside her was a pair of jasmine-fur boots that were so thick they could keep feet warm on the very peak of the Piccolo Mountains. Her eyes rarely left the tiny baby in her arms, but if a person happened to catch a glimpse of them when she lifted her head, they would notice that while one was a piercing blue, the other was a deep hazel.

The woman donned blue mitts and carried the clay pot to a wooden table, placing it beside a basket of twisted brown bread rolls. 

She gave the mushroom stew one last stir and looked into the doorway of the next room. "The food is ready, children."

• Zirong

ooo I love the mysterious vibe of this piece! You have such a way with words!

I love this! You describe the scene so well. And you really focus on the little details like the bracelet and the colour of the girl's eyes which helps bring the scene to life. And then sneaking in those magical places normally just helps create this world so well! Awesome!
    RE: Aww thank you so much!

• barelybear

Re: haha I’m glad you understand the nightmare uwu

• Sophiascb

Re- I'm glad you like my characters! thank you ;) I added another part.
    This is super interesting! I hope you continue this. There's so much mystery I want to know so much more!

• barelybear

Oooh I love the way you’ve gone with this prompt. This felt really suspenseful - a great set up for action :D
    Re: thanks! But you are way too nice lmao
    Salad cream... Is there truly any way to describe its horror? Can you describe the the pits of hell? I can try.
    Imagine taking a yucky vinegar/mustard dressing, and a jar of mayonnaise. Imagine stirring these two delicacies together, just for the fun of it. Imagine bottling it, adding some more beige stuff and proclaiming it is “Deliciously zingy.”

Imagine a poor naive shopper thinking to themselves: I’m going to have a lovely salad, and you know what I want to put on top? The sour-tanged spawn of Satan. That, my friend, is salad cream.

I don’t get the hype, if there is one. Just stick to mayo for creamy or ketchup for sharp ahah.
    Have a great day anyways!
    Eloise :D

• useless :)

re: thank you! :)