anemoia (#words)

WtW's resident "the cool cousin you see once a year, but the conversation you guys were having a long time ago picks up where it left off without missing a beat" (says rosi willard)

Child of God
logophile
volleyballer

Female

hello lovely people
minor tweaks
an alternate universe of victorian england... kinda important to know ;)
haven't actually flushed out this world completely (someday, as they all say) but there are 2 intelligent species (i might add more, but 2 is already a lot.) There are humans, which are now more dominant and populous, and there are the faefolk (which i'm only just deciding to not capitalize, because we don't capitalize human, people, person, woman, man, etc.) Fae is the singular term for faefolk and also the demonym; a faess is an adult female, and a faemon is an adult male. Faeling was going to be the name for a young fae, but then i realized it sounded like "failing." whoops.
Faefolk live longer than humans; a pureblood fae has a lifespan of 170-200 years. A half-blood fae has a lifespan of 120-150 years. If a being possesses less than 50% fae blood, they can still expect to live 90-120 years.
that's all i got on faefolk for now. will prob publish a piece with all this info. hope that clears it up.

today wouldn't look out of place two hundred years ago

Follow me as midnight descends upon cobblestone streets. Well-traveled, with moss growing in the cracks, gas lamps illuminate the vermin scurrying through the London of 1875. I wouldn't blame you if you look away from the factories and the orphanages, from the dirt and grime and destitution that lurks closer to Bond Street than aristocrats want to know. See that faint light, still calling customers? That is one of the last opium dens in the city. But don't peer too far down that street. You don't want to see what lies down there.
    What?
    You think nothing could be worse than the opium den?
    I wish you were right. If you must know... down that street, around the corner, is where... well, it's where girls feel so hopeless that they sell themselves. And men buy.
    If you've seen the Faefolk work their magic, then you know they can't—and won't—do anything to change these circumstances. Their kind is diminishing, and there exists a deep divide between many of them. Those who want to intermarry with humans and preserve their bloodline, and those who fight to keep themselves purebred. Parliament has been overcome in brutal arguments over this, culminating in the Great Split of 1873. The Fae For Freedom party, or Triple F, want complete separation from the humans. Not a hint of interbreeding. The Integrationists seek to save what's left of them by intermarriage. And humans fall on all sides and everywhere in between. 
    Now, come with me to Parliament's meeting hall. See that rubble near the leftmost column? That was a statue of Sir Galvanton, a Fae hero. A lovely work by the renowned Fae sculptor Julienne Renard. Human rioters who fight against interbreeding smashed it. Even though they desire essentially the same thing as the Triple F, their approach is vehement and violent, and they despise Faefolk. The rubble still has not been removed; the riot was two weeks ago. If you guessed that tensions are rising, you are correct. 
    Grass rippled and leaves float to the ground as night breezes sweep across the central lawn. Come now. We cannot afford to tarry in such an unnerving place.
    We have one more stop: the palace. Victoria still reigns, stronger than the Triple F would like and not as strong as the Integrationists prefer. She established herself as an Integrationist less than two years after her coronation, as you can tell by the magnificent statue behind the gates. Faefolk and humans are intertwined, some holding hands, some embracing, sme dancing, all with joyous expressions and flowing elegance. See how the moonlight caresses the hair of the Faess, leaning on the shoulder of a human woman? The breathtaking result of a collaboration between Julienne Renard and her human counterpart, Susanna Aveman.
    It's a messy world, but we all watch the same harvest moon rise, golden between the smokestacks and hard-labor factories that even the Faefolk dare not watch for too long.

***

Come with me to the London of 2075. 
    A little different, no? It's a bit hard to reconcile that London with this one. Gone are the gas lamps, replaced by LED Orbs. Cobblestone streets have long-since been demolished; synthetic asphalt, stamped with the NP's gold seal, shines glossy and dark. It mimics the sheen of titanium. Crumbling shops have transformed into shiny storefronts, each with their own theme and color scheme and laser-cut signs.
    What is the NP? Ha. Funny you should ask. The New Party. They rule England with—shall I say, a golden fist—these days. Everything is regulated and overseen by the New Party. In Scotland, we have the Newer Party. They're like the New Party, but newer.
    But despite the slight oppression of the New Party, life goes on relatively normal here. The Integrationists were the founders of the New Party; the Triple F still hangs on by a thread in various forms, most notably as the Faefolk Liberationists. The Faefolk, of course, had no choice but to integrate and marry humans. Only a miniscule handful of pure Fae still exist, and it's expected they'll die out by 2150.
    The sky isn't so clouded with smog anymore; the New Party changed that through policies and impossible quotas, unbending laws and rallying cries for the environment. Faefolk have always been tied to nature far more than humans.
     It's a rather gray day, with a light mass of clouds reflected in a few puddles, but today wouldn't look out of place two hundred years ago.
based on the gaslamp fantasy novel i aspire to write someday, when life isn't as startling and intense. you may have read about a few characters before... Alencia, Nick, Caroline, Esau Caldegrove, Lady Bidderston, etc.

• In Which Yaya Writes

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I love this!! This is amazing! You should TOTALLY write this novel! I would buy it right now. I hope my entry is as good as this, but I doubt it XD. Amazing job!
    Replying: Ok, so I’m sorry my reply is so late. Remember when we were talking a lot about books? I feel like it’s been way too long for me to actually reply, so how bout whenever we find a good new book we tell the other person?
    Thank you! I can totally imagine that piece being a part of a 60s grainy romance XD. I’m so glad you liked it!
    Also, I noticed you’re dating Dex Dizznee XD. I just read the first KOTLC book the other day! I loved it so much it only took me two days. I’m so excited to read the next one! A girl named Nikki had a book review about it so I got it. I thought it was gonna be kid-ish because of the cover art on my copy, but I actually loved it! For the longest time I thought it was called “Keefer of the Lost Cities,” because I would read comments that mentioned Keefe in it XD. But I like Dex, Keefe, and Jensi the best. How about you?
    Have a great day!

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

And thank you so much for the comment about my piece too! :)

• Rohan’s Defender (Hiatus)

Re: hi!! Yay, I’m so excited to talk about it! :D
    Okay, soo.... (WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR THE KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES BOOKS)
    —————
    So, to start: my favorite character (I think) is Tam. The last few books were very intense, that’s for sure. I was kinda disappointed with Nightfall and Legacy, they were just so much darker. I mean, I get that with the last few books if a series, it’s going to be more dangerous. But like the shadow flux attack on Sophie and Fitz, I just didn’t like the direction that went. But the cliffhanger at the end of Unlocked.... WhAT?!???? I’m very interested to see what the next book brings.
    Okay, ships. To start, let me just say that Fitz was my favorite character for most of the series, but he was acting like a jerk in the last couple books. Sophie wasn’t exactly making it easy for him, but still. He needs to learn to get a better hold on his anger. So, I’m Team Foster-Keefe (Keefe’s sweet side that finally emerged really got me in the series). As for the other characters, I’m not as decided but I’ll give you my thoughts:
    -Dex needs someone really sweet and sensitive. I don’t know if any of the girls in the series so far would be right for him.
    -Linh could end up with Wylie. I’d be happy with that.
    -Tam needs someone sweet and gentle, but I just don’t know about Biana. I’m curious to get to know Glimmer better. He seems to have a pretty strong trust of her.
    -Fitz? I’m undecided about him.
    -Shannon Messenger will feel my wrath if Sandor and Grizel don’t end up together.
    I don’t know if I have any other serious opinions on ships. But yes I think Elwin and Livvy would be great together, if she got divorced.

• xx carolina xx

also, wonderful piece. stunning.

• xx carolina xx

Re: Aww thank you! That means a lot. <3

Wow! I loved this so much- you should definitely turn this into a novel someday, the idea is just amazing! (until the footnote I was soo confused on how you thought of this AMAZING COMPLEX plot in like two days- then I got my answer but still, I normally am very critical of dystopia but this was cool!) There's so much attitude in the way you wrote this which I absolutely love! And fusing this alternate world with real history makes it even more enchanting! Your descriptions were beautiful!

• Yellow Sweater

This is wonderful! The descriptions are so vivid and the concept is really cool. I definitely felt transported.