Yellow Sweater

Zinnia | she/her | bi | agnostic | 18 | WA

2021-2022 Seattle Youth Poet Laureate

Elitist Atlantic Subscriber (jk, but I do think the Atlantic does some awsome journalism)

I don't necessarily agree with my own assertions

I like spaceships, temples, and tea.

Some of my favorite poets and poet-adjacent-people: Federico Garcia Lorca, Ocean Vuong, Annie Dillard, Italo Calvino, Arundhati Roy, Michael Ondaatje, Becky Chambers, Pablo Neruda... The list goes on.

I am on here way too much.

My book is out next June! It feels wonderful to be able to say that with such certainty!

There are so many excellent writers on this site, but if you are new and looking for a place to start, check out: Paisley Blue, aosora, wishtree, aismic, Starlitskies, R.j.Elsewhere, amaryllis, .. ugh there are so many more....

To London

The summer before all hell broke loose was the summer I finally made it off my strip-mall scarred continent. On June 17, 2016, we lugged our overstuffed suitcases into the trunk of our mini-van. Giddy with morning air, we drove off to Sea-Tac airport. After making it through security, we ate burritos in the air-conditioned food-court as we waited for our plane to arrive. The stewardess announced boarding group after boarding group. By the time Group E was called, the terminal had nearly emptied. We filed in through the narrow aisles, bruising our shins on superfluous luggage. We squeezed ourselves into Coach, then buckled our frayed seatbelts, and took off, over our supersized country, towards the Atlantic Ocean.

Heathrow wasn’t that exciting: white-washed walls, dingy carpets, and hostile customs workers (with British accents!). They must have used a different brand of cleaning fluid because the air smelled strange. 

We got lost almost immediately. Unlike our lacquered West-Coast sprawl, London had dimension. It was grimy and multi-layered. The ornate marble facades were stained and proud.  There were apartments on top of cathedrals, seven-story toy stores, eighteenth-century alleyways that led to vending machines, too many un-appealing pubs all in a row, and a map of the underground that was utterly incomprehensible to a jet-lagged American tourist. London smelled like cigarettes and canal water. The streets were diagonal, and the city’s grace was oblique. I was enchanted. Smirking with newfound cheek, I finally fell in love with humanity.

2

I reviewed ;)

Re: I listen to a lot (like, a huge amount of) of Sleeping At Last. They have so many songs, I'm never bored! And I I can't get bored with their old ones too :)

Other than that, my playlists usually include the Hamilton soundtrack, other musical theatre songs (Beautiful Ghosts; Defying Gravity; She Used To Be Mine etc), Grace Vanderwaal (I'm not a big fan of her newer music, but I love the initial albums) and Cimorelli covers & originals. And other songs that I particularly like.

Re: Yeah, that'd probably be a relief. And well, if other places didn't accept you, they don't know what they're missing out on. Your essays are wonderful.

I noticed you listen to Simon & Garfunkel. I'm not a hardcore fan, but I love 'The Sound Of Silence'. What about you?

Ah! This piece is wonderful! You've shown the history of so much in so little! I love the difference in place too, and the way you compared them.

Also, just saw your comment on Crow_e's piece: You got into UW?! Congratulations! I have quite a bit to go before even thinking about applications, and it's nerve wracking already :\

• ✧♬TwinklingLights♬✧

amazing
    and congrats on being one of the OP-ED finalists~

Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is amazing! I'll review :D

• Minvra

It sounds like the person likes thrill and expects there to be something interesting because it's unfamiliar.

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

re: thank you!

• don't you see the starlight (#TS)

oh my gosh "London smelled like cigarettes and canal water. The streets were diagonal, and the city’s grace was oblique. I was enchanted. Smirking with newfound cheek, I finally fell in love with humanity."
    like WHAT?! gorgeous. funny, i wrote about london too for this prompt, but set in an alternate universe.

• Treblemaker

SO beautiful. 'The city's grace was oblique.' never been to London but grimy and multilayered gave a pretty good description. so lovely