Jessica Garcia

Mexico (Draft 2)

PROMPT: Dual Existence

0

GROUP: True Stories

We take the steps off of the plane and I look back at my family and realize how much we've all changed since the last time we've come here. I smell the same smell of familiarness. Whether it's raining when we step off or dry as ever, the smell is always there. It just rained so the smell is stronger. I've smelt it so many times, yet I don't know how to describe it. It's a smell that not everyone may like, but to me, it smells like home. We walk into the airport and head to customs. I already know it's coming, the wave of mosquitoes that bite you until you have bumps all over your skin. I came prepared though, I'm all covered up so they won't bite me. We hurry through customs and walk out to a crowd of people waiting to greet their families. People are smiling and hugging and catching up with each other. We finally find my tia and tio (aunt and uncle). My tia still has her same heartwarming smile, but you can notice the lines of age that have started to form on her face. My tio as well, his strong build, still there, but you can tell he's aged as well. It makes me sad as I realize that they're getting older and older every time we come. I push that that thought that I've had for years to the back of my head. We talk and catch up as we walk to the car. We stuff into the same little white car they've had for years and make our way back to my grandma's house. We drive for about 15 minutes and I see the same colorful sign that states "Bienvenidos a Guadalajara" (Welcome to Guadalajara). Then start to see them, the colorful string of houses/apartments. None of them look the same, they all have their own personality. We stop at a stop light and I already know what's going to happen, someone's going to come up and wash our windows without our permission, but no one came. Nevermind, I guess he was just cleaning someone else's car, now he's come to ours. He finishes cleaning the windows and windshield and then my tia gives him 10 pesos. We keep on driving and the familiar sight of kids selling fruit for their families, but now they're all grown up... I'm all grown up. Finally, I see the street sign that says "Javier Mina" and I get so excited. We park and I'm ready to see my whole family in the tiny cochera (some type of garage) that we all somehow fit in. And there they are. All around me I hear, "Hola Tia Jesy" "Hola Jessica Baby" "Hola, hola" "Te extranamos tanto" as we walk into the cochera. Suddenly I feel, as if I've never left. 

1