Jessica Garcia

Mexico (Draft 2)

PROMPT: Dual Existence

1

GROUP: True Stories

We take the steps off of the plane and I smell the same smell of familiarness. Whether it's raining when we step off or dry as ever, the smell is always there. We walk into the airport and head to customs. I already know it's coming, the wave of mosquitoes that bite you until you have bumps all over your skin. I came prepared though, I'm all covered up so they won't bite me. We hurry through customs and walk out to a crowd of people waiting to greet their families. People are smiling and hugging and catching up with each other. We finally find my tia and tio (aunt and uncle) and we talk as we walk to the car. We stuff into the same little white car they've had for years and make our way back to my grandma's house. We drive for about 15 minutes and I see the same colorful sign that states "Bienvenidos a Guadalajara" (Welcome to Guadalajara). Then start to see them, the colorful string of houses/apartments. None of them look the same, they all have their own personality. Then finally, I see the street sign that says "Javier Mina" and I get so excited. We park and I'm ready to see my whole family in the cochera (some type of garage). And there they are. All around me I hear, "Hola Tia Jesy" "Hola Jessica Baby" "Hola, hola" "Te extranamos tanto" as we walk into the cochera. Suddenly I feel, as if I've never left. 

1