Screen shot 2016 05 01 at 3.43.14 pm

Grace Ow

Since I was young, I was a voracious reader and had a deep love of words and the way they could be used to convey meaning. I hope that my words and my stories would have a positive impact on others.

Does it address autobiographical experiences in a refreshing and interesting way?

Fragments

PROMPT: Flawed Memory

1

GROUP: True Stories

There are so many things I do not remember, memories left behind like objects in an old apartment. Every time I comb through my memories, less and less is detected as more moments get washed away by the sands of time. 

So what do I remember? There are details, that come back to me, at the oddest times and places. My mother's footsteps, the smooth black leather of my father's car,  the words "Miss Renee" written out in an orange marker on a whiteboard. There are trees framed in windows, and somehow in every memory, there is sunlight.

There are times at night, when I toss and turn in bed, when a fragment comes back to me: the principal of my preschool speaking Chinese, a card with strawberries printed on them. Sometimes I find my answers. Others fill in the gaps for me. My principal was teaching our Chinese class when my teacher was on medical leave. That day, we were learning the water cycle in Chinese. My first time learning science, was in a language which I would struggle with, the meaning words stuck in my throat as I tried to push the sounds out, every vowel and consonant. The strawberry card was a part of a childhood game, where we would pretend to buy groceries. For some reason, the strawberries was always the card that everyone wanted to put in their plastic miniature trolleys.

There are some pieces of my past that are lost to me. Sounds of children playing in the backyard of our school. I remember my best friend and I being locked up inside a giant toy house, with the distinct, sharp feeling that I now recognise as terror. I try to connect the dots, try to find the missing puzzle piece to form the perfect picture, but there is only white noise.