Thumb img 5899 1024

mythicalwords

I'm into mythical creatures and such; dragons and mermaids and werewolves. It's my hideaway; my safe haven for when I don't want to face the dull and boring, black-and-white world of "reality". And when I write, I'm adding colour to my little world.

Anything wrong with grammar? Sentence formulating? Storyline confusion? Please tell me

How to Almost Run Away

PROMPT: Lens Change

0

GROUP: True Stories

Stupid and careless were those little girls. Just as stupid and careless as any sisters could be at the ages of seven and five. However even at a young age each showed distinct qualities. The oldest was a natural leader; independent and never caring if she didn't do something everyone else did. The youngest sister was a follower. But strangely, the trait was distinguished with difficulty through her loud, bossy, and sassy attitude. The youngest always did what her older sister did, without questioning, and not only because at the time she was a stupid little girl just like her sister. And the oldest had already grown attached to the role of responsibility, being oldest, but still she was just as stupid and careless as any little girl.

In California the days were hot and the evenings hotter. The family of four; father, mother, and two little girls, had just been at a sushi restaurant with one of the father's coworkers and the girls were dolled up in their Disney-Princess-themed dresses. The oldest wore a long, turquoise dress with a picture of The Little Mermaid in the front, styled as a tank top with long, draping and overlapping skirts . The youngest had on a similar dress; pink to suit The Sleeping Beauty and with tiny roses on the puffed up sleeves. The skirt of her dress resembled that of Cinderella's.

The family, of leaving the restaurant, decided to go to a nearby store to buy father a pair of jeans, realizing he needed a pair. The store, fortunately yet unfortunately, had a children's toy section which was one third of opened and robbed packages and the rest a big mess. Typical kids. The girls loved the children's toy section especially, being part of the robbing squad.

Walking through the entrance doors, the girls automatically ran ,while splashing giggles and laughter, to their favourite isle. The mother followed, telling the father that she'll meet him in the mens section. 'We'll be in the mens section, where the jeans are. Ok?' the mother told them. The oldest agreed with an absent mind, kicking mother's words out her other ear. She was left in charge again, the biggest mistake the parents should make. Yes, she was seven and capable of decision making but she wasn't the brightest child either, and her mind never stayed in one place when she was excited. The mother left her little and stupid girls to "rob" and play with the toys.

They've been playing for quiet a while and the games were becoming boring. The oldest girl began to realize slowly, 'where were mother and father?' As she brainstormed anything but an idea of them being in the same store, she came to a conclusion that they simply forgot about them and left back to the hotel. She thought it was a brave and brilliant idea and that being in charge she'll have to take fate into her own hands. So stupid and ignorant she was. 

Their adventure began. They left the store and walked across the parking lot to the crosswalk. The oldest pushed the button and when the safe-to-cross man lit up the girls raised their hands, as mother taught them, and crossed the road completely unaware of how foolish they looked. It was the oldest who insisted on raising their hands; she remembered mother's rule and with that, mother's other very important rule: always listen to mother. Which was pretty ironic in their situation.

They crossed the second very big parking lot, designated to a very big Costco. Just another crosswalk from there was a sidewalk that led to their hotel. When the girls reached the front doors to the hotel, they were locked. During daylight hours they were open, but at nightfall the only way to get through was with a keycard, which the girls did not have. They kept knocking on the glass doors trying to get attention from the front desk, but when they received none their somewhat-desperate knockings stopped. So the girls decided to wait, believing that mother and father would show up soon. 

Some time passed and, much to their luck, father's coworker, the one who they've just been at the sushi restaurant with, showed up. He happened to be staying at the same hotel as them. He was very startled at the sight of them, but after hearing their story he just laughed. So stupid and careless were the little girls that even something as serious as what they just did was funny. Of course, he let them inside and gave each a bottled water, keeping an eye on them as he called mother and father.

It was a short matter of minutes before a panicked mother and relieved father burst through the doors (actually it was mother who burst through; father followed after). After grateful tears and hugs and lots of thanks the family went back to their room, a lecture awaiting the stupid and careless (especially the oldest) little girls of five and seven.